The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Current Events

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2020, 05:55 AM   #181
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Called my doctor's office, had a coughing fit in the middle of the conversation. Poor reseptionist went from professional phone voice to super concerned, which made me chuckle and get a new fit.

End of call, I'm to wait a couple of days and if I'm not getting better we're going to schedule a video call with a doctor and evaluate whether or not I need to be tested.
Old 03-30-2020, 06:20 AM   #182
Voltron
Handsomest Boy in School

I'm glad you're able to take care of yourself. EDIT: total misread.

You mentioned feeling very ill a few days ago, too. Have you been to a doctor before this?

I came down with a mild chest cold last week. Those was a hot minute where I considered digging my own grave. A former co-worker may have it, too. She was home with symptoms that sound very much like coronavirus.

Last edited by Voltron; 03-30-2020 at 07:09 AM.
Old 03-30-2020, 06:26 AM   #183
newfan
Mad Scientist

Sorry to hear you are still unwell Candy, cough sounds rough. Do you feel ill with it too?
Old 03-30-2020, 06:56 AM   #184
AquaParade
Big Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
Called my doctor's office, had a coughing fit in the middle of the conversation. Poor reseptionist went from professional phone voice to super concerned, which made me chuckle and get a new fit.

End of call, I'm to wait a couple of days and if I'm not getting better we're going to schedule a video call with a doctor and evaluate whether or not I need to be tested.
Interesting how that works.
Old 03-30-2020, 08:17 AM   #185
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Had a very brief phone call with my psychologist...he asked if I was fine and I got tongue tied, couldn't give him a straight answer, and put the phone down.

Constantly flip-flopping between videos of doomcasting from mainstream media and David Icke telling us all the pandemic is exaggerated and just a means of imposing the new world order is'nt doing wonders for my equilibrium.
Old 03-30-2020, 09:03 AM   #186
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltron View Post
You mentioned feeling very ill a few days ago, too. Have you been to a doctor before this?
Yeah it started Tuesday night last week.

No, I haven't been to a doctor and this was the first call I made. I did register my symptoms on a medical website yesterday, but that's it.

We've been advised not to visit doctors unless absolutely necessary and sick leave papers aren't necessary as the self-certified of absence have been given a longer time period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post
Sorry to hear you are still unwell Candy, cough sounds rough. Do you feel ill with it too?
I don't have a fever, but I have breathing issues, headaches and lack of energy. Just trying to play video games is taxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
Interesting how that works.
Heh, true. My coughs with a normal cold can sound pretty rough, so now it sounds like I'm about to hark up a whole lung.
Old 03-30-2020, 09:13 AM   #187
Voltron
Handsomest Boy in School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
We've been advised not to visit doctors unless absolutely necessary and sick leave papers aren't necessary as the self-certified of absence have been given a longer time period.
If I may ask, what's self-certified of absence?

I'm glad it sounds mild enough to weather, at any rate. I hope your partner escapes it, too.
Old 03-30-2020, 09:32 AM   #188
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
If I may ask, what's self-certified of absence?

I'm glad it sounds mild enough to weather, at any rate. I hope your partner escapes it, too.
It's a sick leave form you can do without going to the doctor, usually if you're sick for a couple of days or have a sick child at home and can't work.
Old 03-30-2020, 11:46 AM   #189
IMJ
Mad Scientist

So it turns out my best friend's Grandmother has Coronavirus and is basically intubated and on her deathbed.

This is a great tragedy too - she has owned a relatively prominent bar in Portage Park - it's been in their family forever. For those that don't know, Chicago real estate is as hard to acquire and build a business on as it is to get season tickets for the Bears - once those thing are locked down they just stay under family ownership and tend to be worth huge money.

Well basically there's circumstances where instead of anyone endeavoring enough to take it over, the family is short sighted enough that they are going to have to liquidate the place and split the money up between the siblings.

That's a tragedy because now they'll be selling it under these awful market conditions so not only will they lose huge value, but it's such a short sighted action that each "kid" will probably come out of it with like 85k thinking they did well.

I told my buddy that I could write a business plan under his ownership that would keep that bar in business for at least another year and then if he still wanted to sell it, at least then he could probably unload it to a chain like Balleydoyle's for like 1.2 million. I said I'd do it with him for 200k and he could have the rest after the buyout from his Dad and Aunts. But his families shortsightedness won't let them budge.

A little leg work and planning and one year for recovery. 1.2 million or probably 80k each and some legit Chicago real estate is out of your family with no coming back ever.

I can't believe it. I've known this guy for I think 22 or so years now and I feel bad for his Grandmother's situation, but let's face it - the story as a whole is a disgusting tragedy that makes the loss of the otherwise very business savvy family member even worse.
Old 03-30-2020, 04:00 PM   #190
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Someone I work with in another part of the state died over the weekend. We're not sure yet what the causes were... so maybe Corona, maybe unrelated.

Either way, I'm bummed. He was a great damn guy.
Old 03-30-2020, 06:10 PM   #191
CyberCubed
Overlord

That's sad to hear, do you know his age? I've heard a lot of younger people (like people in their 30's now), are starting to pass away and this is getting worrisome.
Old 03-30-2020, 06:55 PM   #192
Papenbrook
"Zero-Dollar" Sonic

I'm sorry for the loss of your friend, Cylon.

I give my deepest condolences to you.

-------

I'm sorry about your friend's situation, IMJ.

My thoughts are with them.
Old 03-30-2020, 07:05 PM   #193
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
That's sad to hear, do you know his age? I've heard a lot of younger people (like people in their 30's now), are starting to pass away and this is getting worrisome.
Upper 50s to 60s, but definitely not infirm. Big ol' Texas boy.
Old 03-30-2020, 11:03 PM   #194
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Too sad, condolences.
Old 03-30-2020, 11:37 PM   #195
Papenbrook
"Zero-Dollar" Sonic

I'm worried that a lot of companies are going to file for bankruptcy.

Thousands, probably millions, are likely to be out of work.
Old 03-30-2020, 11:49 PM   #196
Voltron
Handsomest Boy in School

So there's growing talk of postponing (or possibly canceling the election) due to coronavirus. Some states have already put back their primary voting days.

This is going to mark an interesting time in US politics.

I'm not a betting man, but I'm sure most conservatives feel it wouldn't be a huge deal if Trump got to remain in office without being challenged.

Unfortunately for them, that's not how it works. The rule is that in lieu of an election, the presidency is surrendered to the Speaker of the House until such time as a proper election can be held.

The question now is: as more and more government officials realize this, will they start to fight over what to do? Given that the Oval Office falls to Pelosi, it's unlikely the GOP is going to postpone or cancel the election.
In additionTrump already admitted that easier voting benefits Democrats, so mail-in voting and easier voting probably isn't on the table. However, getting people to congregate in large numbers will help the disease spread. Though the GOP has already made clear they don't care about us dying so long as the economy is ok, so. . . who knows.

Regardless, it's a good idea to figure out a safe way to vote during the upcoming election season. Assuming the election isn't postponed.

EDIT: Advice from hostile foreign powers and people clamoring for more of the current leadership will be removed immediately.

Last edited by Voltron; 03-31-2020 at 01:13 AM.
Old 03-31-2020, 03:49 AM   #197
TommyT
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Had a very brief phone call with my psychologist...he asked if I was fine and I got tongue tied, couldn't give him a straight answer, and put the phone down.

Constantly flip-flopping between videos of doomcasting from mainstream media and David Icke telling us all the pandemic is exaggerated and just a means of imposing the new world order is'nt doing wonders for my equilibrium.
Nobody should be listening to David Icke. That’s like looking to Mike Tyson for answers.
Old 03-31-2020, 01:19 PM   #198
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
So there's growing talk of postponing (or possibly canceling the election) due to coronavirus. Some states have already put back their primary voting days.

This is going to mark an interesting time in US politics.

I'm not a betting man, but I'm sure most conservatives feel it wouldn't be a huge deal if Trump got to remain in office without being challenged.

Unfortunately for them, that's not how it works. The rule is that in lieu of an election, the presidency is surrendered to the Speaker of the House until such time as a proper election can be held.

The question now is: as more and more government officials realize this, will they start to fight over what to do? Given that the Oval Office falls to Pelosi, it's unlikely the GOP is going to postpone or cancel the election.
In additionTrump already admitted that easier voting benefits Democrats, so mail-in voting and easier voting probably isn't on the table. However, getting people to congregate in large numbers will help the disease spread. Though the GOP has already made clear they don't care about us dying so long as the economy is ok, so. . . who knows.

Regardless, it's a good idea to figure out a safe way to vote during the upcoming election season. Assuming the election isn't postponed.

EDIT: Advice from hostile foreign powers and people clamoring for more of the current leadership will be removed immediately.
I would be very worried if the election was postponed. Ohio who first delayed the primary and they are now doing a mail in ballot primary.
Old 03-31-2020, 02:02 PM   #199
Mayhem
Mad Scientist

US death toll now at 3,415 and higher than China. Quite tragic in the jump there, although I don't believe China's figures anyhow. It's going to hit 10k by end of April I bet, or very much sooner, maybe Easter.
Old 03-31-2020, 02:48 PM   #200
turtle1237
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
US death toll now at 3,415 and higher than China. Quite tragic in the jump there, although I don't believe China's figures anyhow. It's going to hit 10k by end of April I bet, or very much sooner, maybe Easter.
Not sure I trust China's numbers, they did stop testing.
Closed Thread