The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 05-22-2017, 06:18 PM   #61
Stephen
Hench Mutant

I've pretty much always worn one. It helps with time management for keeping track of how much time to spend on a particular task at work.

Edit - I'd already replied to this thread before. Oh, well ...
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 06:23 PM   #62
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

I can only read digital clocks [not because I wasn't taught, I tried to learn over and over and over and I just can't do it] and it's really hard to find a good digital watch. Or at least it was for a long time. I'm just used to not bothering but when I do have one it's stupidly useful
Old 05-22-2017, 06:26 PM   #63
Stephen
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netkeeper View Post
I can only read digital clocks [not because I wasn't taught, I tried to learn over and over and over and I just can't do it] and it's really hard to find a good digital watch. Or at least it was for a long time. I'm just used to not bothering but when I do have one it's stupidly useful
I'm not particularly keen on the analogue ones. I can read them, but find them less convenient for just looking at the time at a glance.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 06:48 PM   #64
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

If I could afford this wildly impractical and unnecessary watch, I would definitely wear one
Spoiler:

Most watches can tell time, but how many keep track of the planetary orbits? Luxury watch maker Van Cleef & Arpels created the Midnight Planétarium timepiece, which does just that. The wristwear is encased in 18-carat gold and sports a variety of different semi-precious gems. As the watchmakers explain on their website, the company has "achieved its dream of reducing the scale of the heavens to the dimensions of a wristwatch." Pretty fancy stuff.

Each planet is represented with a different colored stone: Earth is turquoise, Mercury is serpentine, Venus is chloromelanite, Mars is red jasper, Jupiter is blue agate, and Saturn is sugilite. Other celestial objects on the watch include a pink gold shooting star and sun.

Most watches can tell time, but how many keep track of the planetary orbits? Luxury watch maker Van Cleef & Arpels created the Midnight Planétarium timepiece, which does just that. The wristwear is encased in 18-carat gold and sports a variety of different semi-precious gems. As the watchmakers explain on their website, the company has "achieved its dream of reducing the scale of the heavens to the dimensions of a wristwatch." Pretty fancy stuff.

Each planet is represented with a different colored stone: Earth is turquoise, Mercury is serpentine, Venus is chloromelanite, Mars is red jasper, Jupiter is blue agate, and Saturn is sugilite. Other celestial objects on the watch include a pink gold shooting star and sun.

This watch isn't just for looks: The planets actually move in time with their real-life depictions. A self-winding mechanism containing 396 separate parts moves each miniature planet in true time to its actual orbit length. That means it will take your tiny Saturn 29 years to make its way around the watch's dial, with Jupiter taking about 12 years, Mars 687 days, Earth 365 days, and Mercury 88 days. (Neptune and Uranus aren't included as their orbits are longer than most human lifetimes at 165 years and 84 years respectively.)

The back of the watch features an engraving of the starry night sky. You can set the date and view it through two apertures on the dial. You can also tell the time thanks to the shooting star which completes a revolution around the dial in 24 hours. Adorably, the owner can choose a specific day as their "lucky day" and on that date the Earth will move directly underneath the star engraved on sapphire crystal to symbolize good fortunes.

The watch retails for $225,000, which really isn't so much to have the entire solar system adorning your arm.
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 06:12 AM   #65
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

Now, that's pretty neat!

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 07:30 PM   #66
Coola Yagami
Overlord

They're still good if you want to know the time and you're stuck working someplace where you get written up if you they catch you looking at your phone.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 01:26 PM   #67
Splinter the boss
Stone Warrior

I wear a watch, it's practical. You can look at the time easily without having to take a phone out of your pocket.

"I am absolute, lower your head!"
Splinter the boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 11:33 AM   #68
Prowler
Emperor

I was thinking about this earlier today: when was even the last time I've worn a watch? I can't honestly remember. Must have been over a decade ago already.

By the time I was in HS everyone had mobile phones already, including myself, sure. But I still had a watch because pulling the phone off your pocket in class could mean trouble of you got caught by the teacher.

So I guess my watch at the time must have stopped working around 2008-2009 after I finished HS. From then on I just checked the time on my phone.

When I was a kid there was some prejudice against digital watches. Parents and adults were against kids wearing them because they didn't teach kids how to tell time in a classic clock/watch. But since everyone nowadays just checks time on their phone, which is digital, it doesn't seem like a good argument anymore.

Nightstand clocks are also going to disappear eventually. Most of us just use our phones as our alarm clocks as well nowadays.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 12:57 PM   #69
Icebot
Foot Elite

I still wear a watch. I still find it less tedious to check the time on my watch than cellphone.
Icebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 03:52 PM   #70
CyberCubed
Overlord

I don't wear anything on my body at all. I wouldn't even wear my keys if I didn't have to anymore.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 05:40 PM   #71
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

The day we learned that Cubed is a nudist and why he prefers to never leave the house.

Personally, I've always had rather skinny wrists and have never really found watches or anything else around them to be all that comfortable, so I've rarely worn watches, etc. And partly because I don't like anything to be snug around my wrist and obviously a loose watch would be annoying.

I do have a little leather cuff bracelet I grabbed off eBay for cheap a bit ago and that isn't too bad now and then since it's softer and fits loose enough while not being annoying. But that is it.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote