The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > 4Kids TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 04-15-2017, 12:02 PM   #21
CyberCubed
Overlord

You can tell the 4kids writers were struggling to come up with ideas for second/third tier villains since PL didn't allow them to use any old Fred Wolf or Archie characters.

I think Ultimate Ninja and Draco were probably the only two successful ones, outside of the popular Hun and Bishop. A lot of the other second/third tier villains were either forgettable or just not interesting. Although I do have a soft spot for Touch and Go since they remind me of Batman villains, lol.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 01:04 PM   #22
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkeletonMan939 View Post
That's less creepy.
Yes, but if having them as conjoined twins was too much for a children's cartoon, it would've been the only way.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 03:59 PM   #23
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache

If you read the blog posts, it's clear that Laird only seems interested in his 'conjoined twins' idea. Nothing else in the script is appealing to him. It wouldn't be the first episode script they dropped out of disinterest.
TheSkeletonMan939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 09:26 PM   #24
Drose18
The Catalina Wine Mixer

Did they almost drop any other episodes? Or anything like this happen to another episode? There was master figher 2105 I think was one.
Drose18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 10:55 PM   #25
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drose18 View Post
Did they almost drop any other episodes? Or anything like this happen to another episode? There was master figher 2105 I think was one.
There were 10 planned more FF episodes, but most of them didn't have any finished scripts or VA besides "Master Fighter 2105." PL had them on his blog, most of them were just concepts or ideas for episodes but not in full script form yet.
Old 04-16-2017, 04:35 AM   #26
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
You can tell the 4kids writers were struggling to come up with ideas for second/third tier villains since PL didn't allow them to use any old Fred Wolf or Archie characters.
Uh, no. The FW characters were rather unispired to begin with, it really didn't matter.

I mean honestly, what were they? Random mad scientists, lame gangster parodies, a bunch of anthropomorphic animals, a literal pile of trash and miscellaneous types of characters nobody remembers? Very little thought went into them to begin with.

I'm convinced the only reason any of them appear now is that they were basically blank slates writers can do whatever they want with, pretty much the opposite of being memorable.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 05:24 AM   #27
Overlord

This makes me wonder if the "Case of the two-headed biker" Leonardo mentioned in Turtlemainic, holding up a motorcycle helmet for two, is the missing episode 76?

Last edited by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan; 04-16-2017 at 05:38 AM.
Old 04-16-2017, 10:00 AM   #28
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drose18 View Post
I believe at some point they were planning another Halloween episode, or at least a very creepy, monster-y episode. The script got dropped in favor of something else.
TheSkeletonMan939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 11:58 AM   #29
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Uh, no. The FW characters were rather unispired to begin with, it really didn't matter.

I mean honestly, what were they? Random mad scientists, lame gangster parodies, a bunch of anthropomorphic animals, a literal pile of trash and miscellaneous types of characters nobody remembers? Very little thought went into them to begin with..
Considering they've all returned in IDW and Nick and people seem interested in them again, of course 4kids versions would have been interesting. A 2k3 version of Slash, Mutagen Man, some of the Mutanimals like Mondo Gecko, even Rahzar, etc. would have all fit in just fine. If PL didn't want any Bebop/Rocksteady that's one thing, but everyone else would have worked.

And as said, most of the 4kids created villains wound up being rather unpopular or forgettable outside the two standouts Hun and Bishop. Draco/Ultimate Ninja are probably the next most interesting, then some of the FF villains were cool in concept, but that's really it.

Nobody is dying to see the return of Garbageman, Nano, the butch lesbian from "The Monster Hunter," Quarry or the other underground mutants, the Texas brothers, the bald Atlantis guy from the underground, Kluh of the Battle Nexus, Touch and Go, the various bug/monster mutants from Season 4 like the soldier Bishop mutated and that cockroach mutant, etc.

Hun, Bishop, Ch'rell (if you count him separate from Shredder), maybe Draco and the Ultimate Ninja, and some of the FF villains were the only ones who stood out.
Old 04-16-2017, 01:39 PM   #30
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Considering they've all returned in IDW and Nick and people seem interested in them again, of course 4kids versions would have been interesting.
"All"? Tell me, where's the IDW issue or Nick episode featuring Don Turtelli the tickling mob boss? Or Mad Dog McMutt, who lived in a giant fire hydrant? Or Bugman?

Like I said, I don't think Slash for example came back because because he was a good character ("I WANT MY BINKY!"), more because he was an OK concept the writers could do whatever they wanted with because the original character varied between bland and lame. Why do you honestly think Tom Waltz would dig up a character from season 8 who turns into a bug when absorbing electricity? Because he's such a famed and interesting character? No, he did it because the story required a mercenary group and there he found one.
Hahahaha!
Old 04-16-2017, 02:51 PM   #31
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
"All"? Tell me, where's the IDW issue or Nick episode featuring Don Turtelli the tickling mob boss? Or Mad Dog McMutt, who lived in a giant fire hydrant? Or Bugman?
You know I meant the major villains. Either way, they just replaced old mob bosses with new ones. Nick has the fat mob boss who was in 3 episodes, IDW had Lupo and his gang working for Dun. What's the difference? There will always be mob/gangsters in TMNT. They don't have to be the same exact characters but they all serve the same purpose.

Quote:
Like I said, I don't think Slash for example came back because because he was a good character ("I WANT MY BINKY!"), more because he was an OK concept the writers could do whatever they wanted with because the original character varied between bland and lame. Why do you honestly think Tom Waltz would dig up a character from season 8 who turns into a bug when absorbing electricity? Because he's such a famed and interesting character? No, he did it because the story required a mercenary group and there he found one.
Slash is a maniac turtle and an uneasy ally, he is a very easy character to use again.

Also you know good and well IDW/Nick have already brought back or used the majority of big villains from the original cartoon or 90's era in general.
Old 04-16-2017, 03:12 PM   #32
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
You know I meant the major villains. Either way, they just replaced old mob bosses with new ones. Nick has the fat mob boss who was in 3 episodes, IDW had Lupo and his gang working for Dun. What's the difference? There will always be mob/gangsters in TMNT. They don't have to be the same exact characters but they all serve the same purpose.

Slash is a maniac turtle and an uneasy ally, he is a very easy character to use again.

Also you know good and well IDW/Nick have already brought back or used the majority of big villains from the original cartoon or 90's era in general.
True, but my argument that they're more attractive as blank slates than for what they were still stands. There's kind of a reason why they felt they could just take Wyrm and make him a genie, or the Neutrinos into robotic dream invaders, or Hothead as a stand-in for Satan.

IDW doesn't do that to the same extreme as Nick, but it's no secret that you don't really think ruthless Utrom Krang is all that similar to bumbling disembodied brain Krang.

Most of these characters were in, like what? One or two, maybe four episodes tops? And their modern interpretations barely resemble the original depiction, if at all. By taking an old character and slapping more or less what you want on them, you have total creative freedom and you still don't have work entirely from scratch, it's the best of both worlds.
Hahahaha!
Old 05-28-2017, 05:36 AM   #33
Overlord

Mondo Gecko

Quote:
Mondo Gecko
Mondo Gecko would be nice.

Tags