The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 12-18-2021, 05:37 AM   #181
ZariusTwo
Overlord

The MOTU movie is slated to commence shooting in June 2022 in New Mexico according to the Production Weekly Newsletter

https://www.he-man.org/forums/boards...cussion/page78
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 11:54 AM   #182
neatoman
Emperor

I find it funny how this was basically a dead franchise since 2004 and now we got two cartoons released simultaneously then suddenly this.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 12:49 PM   #183
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
I find it funny how this was basically a dead franchise since 2004 and now we got two cartoons released simultaneously then suddenly this.
The Origins line upfront from all of this brought a lot of people back into the fold, I think.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 12:57 PM   #184
Coola Yagami
Overlord

I'll wait til I actually seen a trailer. Like Ghostbusters Afterlife, both franchises have been working on or promising movies off and on for years, but in the end we finally got Afterlife. I'm not getting any hopes up til we see a trailer or at least one of those movie posters that say 'coming next Spring' or whatever.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 01:34 PM   #185
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
I'll wait til I actually seen a trailer. Like Ghostbusters Afterlife, both franchises have been working on or promising movies off and on for years, but in the end we finally got Afterlife. I'm not getting any hopes up til we see a trailer or at least one of those movie posters that say 'coming next Spring' or whatever.
Oh absolutely. Given the state of affairs nowadays plus so many "nostalgia cash grabs" very little is a "must see" just on announcement anymore. It's began getting there up to 2017 and then The Last Jedi cemented it as nothing is "must see" even based on I.P. anymore.
Old 12-19-2021, 03:01 PM   #186
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
a new He-Man movie has been in development for years, I believe different directors were attached at the time.
Old 12-30-2021, 02:07 AM   #187
Leo656
The Franchise

It's not gonna happen.

It's been "ready to start any day now" since like 2005, gone through dozens of scripts, studios, writers, directors... it's not gonna happen, ever. There's not a big enough audience to justify the budget it would take to even make the thing. Any MOTU movie even halfway decent would require a $200 million MINIMUM budget with all the elaborate special effects, and there is no chance on Earth anyone is going to spend that much to make it, and even less chance it even makes its budget back. Which is 100% of the reason they gave up even trying to make a "real" movie and decided to do some cheap-o Netflix trash project instead, they know there's no return on investment. Not enough people would watch a MOTU movie to even justify the expense in making one.

MOTU is my favorite property ever, but I'm not going to argue that it's "popular" in the conventional sense anymore. It's very popular with people my age who still have most of our old toys, but nobody outside of that bracket does, or ever will care. This movie has no audience. Nobody watched the CGI reboot cartoon OR the second half of "Revelation", so I doubt anyone will watch the movie either, except for the very hardest of hardcores. People just like the action figures, that's all. It's not a sustainable mass-media thing anymore, we're seeing that proven in real-time. Just like with all the numerous failed TMNT reboots. That brand isn't popular anymore, either, and their next movie is going to do sh*t business, too (although it will probably do better than this movie would).

So yeah, it won't happen. But IF it did, knowing what we know of Hollywood, you can expect it would be godawful and everyone would wish they didn't bother.

And if by some miracle it DIDN'T suck, you would still have the fanbase at each others' throats about it, just like with the "Revelation" cartoon, with one group saying it was "perfect, everything it needed to be" and the other group saying it was "the worst thing ever" for whatever reasons, and it would all just be another big debacle. And I am so, SO sick of that kinda sh*t by now, after a decade of DC movies and now "Revelation" with specific respect to this franchise. I am completely fed the f*ck up with bipolar fanbases and their inability to see any levels in-between Perfect and Trash. They take all the fun out of being a fan and do nothing but ensure that I do my best to keep my interests to myself.

It's like I said on the He-Man board, "I don't even know why any of you even think you WANT this movie to come out after what we all just went through with the cartoon, you're all just gonna yell and scream and cry about it no matter what, then call anyone who doesn't agree with you an idiot and a fake fan. We JUST went through all of that, why do you even WANT to go through it again? Are you sick?" And a few people did concede that yeah, I'm right, that's exactly what's gonna happen.

BUT. It's not gonna get made, so, y'know. All moot. But if it did... probably awful! But it won't, so we're safe. Once they crunch the numbers and realize there's zero ROI on a MOTU movie, especially on a streaming service, it goes right back in the desk drawer. "Zack Snyder's Justice League II and III" will come out before the He-Man movie does. You can go ahead and etch that in stone.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 05:49 PM   #189
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
MOTU movie set for Netflix, Kyle Allen cast as Adam/He-Man

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...en-1235083394/
Actually sounds decently encouraging. Not sure about the directors, but the dude they cast as He-Man looks the part pretty well. And I'm sure he'll buff up some for it.
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 11:10 AM   #190
Leo656
The Franchise

Going by descriptions on various websites it already sounds like a lost cause.

Adam... "An orphan who discovers he's a prince, destined to become savior of a faraway land..." Uh, yeah, none of that is how the story goes. He's not "an orphan" and his "turf" is literally his own backyard and everything beyond it.

Watch, instead of Marlena being his link to Earth Adam will be some Billy Batson type kid on Earth who gets whisked away to Eternia to play out his grand destiny, Never-Ending Story style. Except that isn't how the story goes.

I guess we'll see, but if they're willing to completely tinker with the origin like that then it shows a Platinum Dunes-style disregard for the source and we can probably expect a similar result.

I mean, I'm still not convinced this thing will ever even get made since there's no audience for it whatsoever and I think Netflix will realize that at some point when they actually crunch numbers. This type of movie would easily be the most expensive "made for Netflix" movie ever made and there's zero return on investment. But regardless, pretty much no expectation for it not to suck. The last thing this brand needs is yet ANOTHER divisive adaptation. But it sounds like that's what we're gonna get.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 11:00 AM   #191
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Going by descriptions on various websites it already sounds like a lost cause.

Adam... "An orphan who discovers he's a prince, destined to become savior of a faraway land..." Uh, yeah, none of that is how the story goes. He's not "an orphan" and his "turf" is literally his own backyard and everything beyond it
I read that and my first thought was "hmmm..... doesn't sound right, but ooookay".

See, we got out of the "Hollywood puts their spin nonsense on the source material" a long time ago. But it's been swinging back to it for a few years now and eventually I see adapted I.P. movies sucking again as Hollywood "Puts a clear helmet on Iron Man so you can see the actor" kind of nonsense happening.
Old 07-19-2023, 12:09 PM   #193
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Netflix have pulled the plug on the movie

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/m...ix-1235673281/
I saw a headline that said that they were already 30 million in on it too! -facepalms-
Old 07-19-2023, 03:04 PM   #194
Bahamut810
Stone Warrior

Good. Hopefully the next season of the Kevin Smith fiasco dies with it.
Bahamut810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 09:40 AM   #195
ZariusTwo
Overlord

The movie reboot has found new life. Travis Knight in talks to direct.

https://foreternia.com/2024/02/bumbl...ve-action-film

And here's the premise

Quote:
"The film is based on the popular 1980s cartoon series, and this iteration revolves around 9-year-old Prince Adam crashing to Earth in a spaceship and being separated from his Magical Sword – the only link to his home on Eternia. After tracking it down almost two decades later, Adam is whisked back across space to defend his home planet against the evil forces of Skeletor. But to defeat such a powerful villain, Prince Adam first will need to uncover the mysteries of his past and become He-Man — the most powerful man in the universe."
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
he-man, mcg