The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Was this a good approach?
Yes 23 71.88%
No 9 28.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-17-2017, 05:17 AM   #1
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Did you like the Nick show using old characters?

I don't mean as in using the standard tmnt characters from mirage like Leatherhead, the Rat King, Casey Jones and so on or any of the main cast.

I'm talking about the show using version exclusive characters in their show such as Bebop and Rocksteady, Bishop, Slash, Metalhead, the Neutrinos, Razhar, Tokka and so on.

Did you like the Nick show doing this and Did it make the show better or make it lose its unique identity?

Lastly, Would you like to see the next tmnt show take this approach?

Last edited by FredWolfLeonardo; 04-17-2017 at 05:32 AM.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 05:31 AM   #2
Fishface
Foot Soldier

I have very mixed opinions about this. While it is cool to see some semi obscure characters return into light and not fade off into obscurity, they haven't always done this right. An example of this would be the Neutrinos, sure they are a different take on the originals but they just are not to memorable and I kid you not but I thought they were just some army warriors and some Rock Soldier minions of General Traag. I also thought another theory that the Rock designs were just robotic suits and the real alien teenagers from the 80's who we all know and love but sadly we will never know since at this point it seems unlikely we will ever see them again, considering the fact that the show has not been renewed for a sixth season.

Another thing I am annoyed with is Mona Lisa. I find her annoyingly overrated, especially with the fan girls. I don't hate her but I find it annoying how she was only brought into the show because of fan service and she was very forced into the plot and her episodes were rushed (I still think The Evil of Dregg is the was one of the lowest of the 2012 series to date).

Honestly though, there are still many great 2012 reintroductions like Bebop, Rocksteady, Hun, Tatsu, Renet, Mondo Gecko, Slash, Wingnut, Screwloose, Armaggon, Rahzar, Triceratons, Scumbug, Antrax and Mutagen Man!
Fishface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 09:07 AM   #3
neatoman
Emperor

Depends on what the characters were and as far as I'm concerned they came in four varieties on a spectrum:
  1. Pretty much the same as always: Splinter, Shredder, Turtles etc.
  2. Relatively minor difference but recognisable: Rat King, Casey, Hun, Karai (Before snake powers)
  3. Really different but still in the realm of recognisable: Bishop, Bebop, Rocksteady, Rahzar, April, Karai (After snake powers)
  4. Why the hell not just make a new character to begin with?: Tokka, Neutrinos, Hothead, Wyrm.

That last really confused me, what's the point? The show clearly had no problem creating new characters, so why even bother? In Hothead's case he might as well even be Drako given how little he has to do with the original Hothead, his backstory and role even matches Drako a lot better than Hothead's.

Above that, it's pretty much a mixed bag, I don't like Karai's snake powers but I'm fine with the Rat King being a blind psychic and I have rather mixed feelings about Bishop basically being an amalgam of Bishop and Mortu. Hard to give a concrete opinion on such a broad subject.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 10:49 AM   #4
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

While overall it was cool seeing old/obscure characters get some modern-day representation, they didn't really pull them off good. A lot of them were in-name-only, lame, or just decent. They could've put more thought into them, and made them better.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:05 AM   #5
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I don't care, really, but it does strike me as odd that what characters that would otherwise seem tailor-made for the show with their existing backstories mostly intact like Wingnut and Screwloose (refugees from a planet besieged by Krang) get completely changed (now they're... comic book characters given magical life?).
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:06 AM   #6
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I voted 'no' because of how the characters were used. Old character in name only was much more common than using old characters. Its a main reason I prefer IDW to the Nicktoon. Would I want to see these characters again beyond in name only? Yes,definitely!
Old 04-17-2017, 11:07 AM   #7
Vicky82
Emperor

I like them using Karai, Leatherhead, Rat King, Slash, Rahzar, Rocksteady and Bebop.

It did feel that there were too many characters in the show and it's because fans kept asking Ciro and Brandon to add these old characters.

Mona Lisa was one of these characters that fans were asking for and Ciro and Brandon listened to them but it end up a lot of people didn't like her and didn't like her relationship with Raph.

So if Brandon and Ciro didn't listen to fans then we wouldn't have seen these extra characters.

Vicky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:10 AM   #8
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky82 View Post
I like them using Karai, Leatherhead, Rat King, Slash, Rahzar, Rocksteady and Bebop.

It did feel that there were too many characters in the show and it's because fans kept asking Ciro and Brandon to add these old characters.
Bebop and Rocksteady were always going to be there. It was pretty alarming to me the number of people on this board that were flabbergasted when they were announced.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:19 AM   #9
Vicky82
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Bebop and Rocksteady were always going to be there. It was pretty alarming to me the number of people on this board that were flabbergasted when they were announced.
Read my post again

Quote:

Mona Lisa was one of these characters that fans were asking for and Ciro and Brandon listened to them but it end up a lot of people didn't like her and didn't like her relationship with Raph.

So if Brandon and Ciro didn't listen to fans then we wouldn't have seen these extra characters.
I never said Bebop and Rocksteady, i'm talking about other old characters. Like Mona Lisa, Armaggon, Bishop, Wingnut and Screwloose ect. The only reason they were in this show is because fans kept asking for them and Brandon and Ciro listened to them.

Old 04-17-2017, 11:26 AM   #10
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I generally like most of the old characters reimagined, whether they are similar to the originals or completely different. I like Nick Bebop, Rocksteady, Razhar, Tokka, Mona Lisa, Mondo Gecko, Muckman, Lord Dregg, Wingnut, Screwloose, Metalhead, Slash and Pigeon Pete.

The only types of characters I didn't like were the ones that had been firmly established in previous versions and then were nothing like the originals in the Nick show. These include Hun, Bishop and the worst offenders, the Neutrinos.

While characters like Razhar, Tokka, Slash and Pigeon Pete were also guilty of not being faithful to the originals, they weren't firmly established in the originals so it felt more natural for Nick to use them, hence why I like their reimaginings.

Characters like the Neutrinos on the other hand were very well established in their show and they left an Impression on the tmnt fandom, who would always associate the name with the characters portrayed in the FW toon. Using that name in the Nick toon for something completely unrelated felt very off, as did calling Nicks version of Mortu "Bishop" and just placing the Hun label on Bruce Lee.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:28 AM   #11
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Rocksteady and Bebop.
Quote:
I never said Bebop and Rocksteady, i'm talking about other old characters.
?

Quote:
Like Mona Lisa, Armaggon, Bishop, Wingnut and Screwloose ect. The only reason they were in this show is because fans kept asking for them and Brandon and Ciro listened to them.
That's not true either. Concept art from before the show began:

Old 04-17-2017, 11:40 AM   #12
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post

The only types of characters I didn't like were the ones that had been firmly established in previous versions and then were nothing like the originals in the Nick show. These include Hun, Bishop and the worst offenders, the Neutrinos.
What on earth? Nick's Bishop is very close to 4kids Bishop, only difference is he's an Utrom, which is a nod toward Utrom Shredder in 4kids. His design is nearly identical, runs the EPF, still fights the same way, etc. Nick's Bishop is perfect for their story.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:48 AM   #13
Vicky82
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
?

That's not true either. Concept art from before the show began:

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/...ngnut_%262.jpg
Obviously your still confused of what I said

I like Nick using old Characters like Rocksteady and Bebop, Karai, Leatherhead, Rahzar and Rat King.

But it did feel there were too many other old characters that shouldn't have been in this show and the only reason they were in this show is because Ciro and Brandon listened to fans.

I expect there were a lot of concept art on characters they did and decided not to use them

Wingnut and Screwloose didn't get used until season 4 and i've seen plenty of people asking Ciro and Brandon to add them in to this show and that's including Mona Lisa, Bishop and Armaggon.

Old 04-17-2017, 11:51 AM   #14
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Some felt forced for nostalgic reasons, like the Neutrinos and Wingnut and Screwloose. But others, like Bebop, Rocksteady, Armaggon and Tatsu, are OK.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:52 AM   #15
Vicky82
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
What on earth? Nick's Bishop is very close to 4kids Bishop, only difference is he's an Utrom, which is a nod toward Utrom Shredder in 4kids. His design is nearly identical, runs the EPF, still fights the same way, etc. Nick's Bishop is perfect for their story.
Nick Bishop was never like 2k3 Bishop

Nick Bishop is an alien wasn't an evil villain
2k3 Bishop is a human and was an evil villain, who liked to experiment and dissect things.

Old 04-17-2017, 11:53 AM   #16
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
I voted 'no' because of how the characters were used. Old character in name only was much more common than using old characters. Its a main reason I prefer IDW to the Nicktoon. Would I want to see these characters again beyond in name only? Yes,definitely!
You claim Nick's characters are in "name only." Yet the vast majority of IDW used old characters are in "name only" as well. I don't understand your double standards.

In IDW:

- Krang is now an actual Utrom, instead of a disembodied brain from Dimension X. Now he's trying to rebuild his Utrom.

- Bebop/Rocksteady have superhuman strength and regeneration powers

- Rat King is an immortal God part of the Pantheon, and IDW's design for him looks vastly different than all previous Rat Kings

- Hun is now Casey's father

- Karai is Shredder's great+ granddaughter

- Slash is now a huge hulking character and ally of the Turtles rather than the maniac he was known for prior to 2011

- Fugitoid is a Neutrino

- The Triceratons were now mutated on Earth, instead of a natural born alien race

- Mutagen Man, Man Ray, Mondo Gecko, etc. now have new/different origins than what they're initially known for

And the biggest of all:

- The Turtles are now reincarnated humans from Feudal Japan!!!!!

etc.

I could go on and on. But I don't understand these bizarre double standards when all the IDW incarnations of the characters are also new or updated. You can say the "name only" thing here as well, which puts into perspective how ridiculous this argument is. Of course everyone is going to update characters.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:08 PM   #17
victory_angel
Foot Elite

Quote:

2k3 Bishop is a human and was an evil villain, who liked to experiment and dissect things.
I wouldn't call Bishop evil. More like a dark shade of moral gray since everything he did in the show proper was do things that he felt were for a greater good. And the Turtles were just expendable resource that he felt could be sacrificed for the protection of the earth.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:10 PM   #18
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Nick Bishop was never like 2k3 Bishop

Bishop was never evil in 4kids, he was always trying to save or protect the Earth from aliens or mutants. He just had shades of gray and was ambiguous because he thought his cause was just. He formed an alliance with the Turtles by Season 4, worked with them in Season 5 to stop Demon Shredder, and we know he becomes President of Earth in the future.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:14 PM   #19
ToTheNines
[sic]

Cybercubed does not understand nuance. Only loyalty.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 12:18 PM   #20
Vicky82
Emperor

He still did bad things though.

He did turn a human into a monster in Dragon's Brew.

Tags
nick show