The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 08-07-2016, 05:27 PM   #1
Powder
So tired of this place

Stranger Things (Netflix Original)

So who here checked this out? It caught my interest, I heard good things, then ended up watching all 8 episodes consecutively with my mom. It's one of those, you know? Just can't wait to see what's going to happen next.

For those of you not in the know, this is the general plot. Small town, boy goes missing, simultaneously a girl near his age escapes a laboratory. Lots of weird stuff is going down & all signs point to this lab. Scary stuff aside, it's for everyone. There are moments that cater to adults, teens, & kids respectively. You've got drama, terror, romance, friendship, fantasy, perseverance, conspiracy, all sorts of themes to keep you interested. It feels like Aliens meets Goonies meets Fringe. Best way I can describe it, honestly. One lead is the ever awesome Wynona Ryder, the rest are lesser known names who put in some powerful performances.

I really liked it a lot. I have complaints, naturally, but overall it was a cool original story wrapped up in real world conspiracy & 80's film homages. One of the best original scores I have ever heard, honestly. So dope. Some Vangelis/Richard Wright type ish.

These were my issues with it. Those pertaining to story beats will be spoilered. Aside from these things, it was perfect.

-It's a period piece, taking place in 1983, but not terribly convincing. Some of the clothes, & decor are on point, but a lot of the time it's easy to forget it's supposed to have been 30+ years ago. I think they could've done better in that respect.

-To me, the characters feel very much like characters, not real people. The actors' performances were fine, but they're pretty over the top & somewhat unrealistic in how they behave/respond to things. I have to figure it's fault of the writing. Given this is a love letter to (among other things) horror flicks of days past, I thought that may very well have been intentional, so it was a minor gripe (one that lessened as the story progressed).

-Some of the CGI is very unconvincing. Not a big deal, I guess, but it definitely gives this otherwise visually spectacular material a handicap. It's like mid 2000's quality CGI, maybe. ***

Spoiler:

-The general effects are just fine, really! All the explosions, distortions, portal stuff, etc, no complaints. *** It's really just the beasts whose CGI falters.
They look pretty good in their own black environments, but when they're in the mortal plane it starts to cheese up. I found it a little jarring, but I openly have a bias against fully animated figures. I think they would've greatly benefited from using more traditional effects, you know, creature suits & whatnot. They could've just CGI'd certain movement, the faces, etc. Maybe that costs a lot more, I don't know.

-I think they took the Aliens nods a bit too far. Death by fire, slime laden hive-like territories, hatching from egg pods, their young reproducing in the digestive tract of a human host, etc.

-After all that happened, I was kinda let down that the 'big bad' of this series was just a couple of generic monsters. It's a very eccentric & thought provoking show, dealing with real horrors that took place behind the closed doors of facilities run by a government we're taught to believe has nothing but our best interests in mind. They're experimenting with mind control, telepathy, telekinesis, portals, shadow realms, just all kinds of crazy stuff. So why go through all of that just to make it a matter of creatures out for blood? Could've been something more cerebral, I think. No problem with their inclusion, but to give them the eventual focus, meh...

-We kinda get the death of "Papa" taken away from us. We all wanted to see that son of a bitch suffer, but instead he's just pulled off screen and it cuts to the next shot. C'mon.

-Nancy stays with the douche bag after all that character development between her & John. Boo! John's not so bad after all, I suppose, but still. Oh well, points for not doing something predictably. The romance in general was a bit forced, I thought, but I almost always feel that way. I'm not a big fan of it.

-We're led to believe Hopper struck a deal with the devil, so to speak, as he gets in a car with the government dudes once everything blows over. You figure, damn, he's gonna be their new experiment or something now. But instead we see him bringing food Eleven. Soooo Eleven is not only alive & well but her captors employed a guy who foiled their operation & protected their victim to bring her snacks? I don't get it. I'm glad they're both well, but it doesn't make much sense to me. The head figures from the facility are all dead, what happens now? I needed more answers in the end.

-Tacked on backpedal ending. Another one of their horror movie homages that works against them. Everything's okay now... but it's not! Will is spitting up larval beasts! Oooh! Don't do that. A much better ending would've been shaving off that last family dinner sequence entirely.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 06:09 PM   #2
raph27
Mad Scientist

Heard great things about it from friends. Unfortunately I don't have Netflix so I can't check it out.
raph27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 06:51 PM   #3
sdp
-

I checked it out a while ago and loved it, people kept recommending it and I caved. I originally didn't want to watch it since 80s things or stephen king movies and pretty much all things people told me it was a love letter to I just didn't care for. I think it does the 80s thing really well, only during that time could the story make sense in the day of cellphones and the internet. You can still believe that somehow all these things can be so easily covered up.

Most people seem to have a problem with the ending but I liked it. Just like any thriller or horror movie it leaves things at the end. Apparently we're getting a second season that continues the story and that's a shame, I really wanted this to become an anthology show. Great first season, I'd just prefer this storyline to end there and see other new great ideas instead of milking this one to the ground.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 07:09 PM   #4
snake
Disgusting

I've been meaning to watch this! After I finish my clone wars rewatch and Farscape watch I will.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 08:02 PM   #5
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

I finished it a couple of days ago. It was fantastic, looking forward to the second season.

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 11:41 PM   #6
Toitlefan
Hench Mutant

I also really enjoyed this show. I love how they went with the 80s theme and were able to pull it off. I liked the idea of the group of young friends battling a sci-fi creature while dodging their ignorant parents (though I guess not all were ignorant). It captured that E.T./Critters nostalgia pretty well. Like someone else said, I think they would have benefited from using less cgi and more older creature methods.
Toitlefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 02:23 PM   #7
Zak The Neutrino
Stone Warrior

I just finished this last night. I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to what they do with season 2.
Old 08-08-2016, 05:51 PM   #8
Allio
Foot Elite

Man, I do love these shows that does the whole

*here you go, here is "this cliche show" (ie stranger things started off like a typical 80's movie about a group of little boys)
*now here is some spooky **** going on in the background
Old 08-31-2016, 07:16 AM   #9
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Netflix has officially renewed the show for 2017. They've also released a teaser featuring the titles for the upcoming 9-episode season: http://www.comicbookmovie.com/horror...-first-a144917

Old 08-31-2016, 10:30 AM   #10
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

I loved this series so much. It was an awesome conglomeration of Spielburg, King, and Carpenter. It did a great job of turning a bunch of standard-for-the-day tropes on their head, had genre savvy characters, and told its story so well.

Can't wait for season two.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 09:09 AM   #11
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

New still from season 2. A preview is set to air during the super bowl.

Old 02-05-2017, 07:09 PM   #12
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 07:11 PM   #13
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Woohoo!!!

Old 02-28-2017, 12:19 PM   #14
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

My little brother interrupted my current shows and made me watch the first two episodes of Stranger Things.

I'm usually not a fan of kids in TV or movies, but these kids are (for the most part) really, really good. Lucas is a bit too confrontational with Eleven to be believable, but eh, Eleven, Mike, Dustin (tcool), and Will are all great.

I am now hooked, and expect to have the marathon completed by next week.

RIP, Benny. RIP, Barb.
Old 07-11-2017, 07:45 AM   #15
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Love this poster

Old 07-11-2017, 08:02 AM   #16
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPug View Post
Sweeeeeeeeeeet.
Old 07-22-2017, 05:10 PM   #17
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Old 07-22-2017, 05:43 PM   #18
Powder
So tired of this place

Looks so good! Can't wait.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 06:01 PM   #19
sdp
-

I loved Stranger Things but I really don't feel like returning to that story, so while I'm looking forward to it at the same time I am not.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 06:20 PM   #20
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
I loved Stranger Things but I really don't feel like returning to that story, so while I'm looking forward to it at the same time I am not.

Last edited by ProphetofGanja; 07-22-2017 at 06:27 PM.
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gonna cis my pants, stranger cucks, stranger gays