The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 04-07-2016, 06:52 PM   #1
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

The Walking Dead (comics, not TV)

So I've been marathoning this series since Monday and I'm on Issue #115. Man oh man... I've been missing out.

I thought the Governor was an evil SOB, but Negan is just... mindblowingly evil. Most monstrous villain I think I've ever come across.

RIP Glenn.
RIP Abraham.

They're going to war. Anyone want to talk the comics with me? I figured I'd better make this a separate thread (and I couldn't find a preexisting one for the comics) so that I don't inadvertently spoil anything on the show.
Old 04-07-2016, 07:31 PM   #2
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Damn. Negan's Trojan horse was a brilliant tactic.
Old 04-07-2016, 07:53 PM   #3
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
it's been a while since i read the first Negan appearance, but yeah that guy is the villain you LOVE to HATE!!!!

he's actually become one of my favorite Walking Dead characters!
i mean Glenn's death was horrible and all, but MAN was he so damned funny about how he went about it!!!!

"Lucile's a Vampire Bat!"
Old 04-07-2016, 07:57 PM   #4
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Nah, he's too far out for me to laugh at all. I mean, the things he says would be funny but he's just too unhinged. And not in a crazy way, but in a completely sociopathic way.

He's chilling. I think my favorite character who's still alive would have to be... I dunno, Carl, Rick, and Andrea. And Michonne and Ezekiel. Most of my favorites died already... Lori, Glenn, Abraham, Tyrese... this book is more brutal than Game of Thrones.
Old 04-07-2016, 08:30 PM   #5
myconius
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Nah, he's too far out for me to laugh at all. I mean, the things he says would be funny but he's just too unhinged. And not in a crazy way, but in a completely sociopathic way.

He's chilling. I think my favorite character who's still alive would have to be... I dunno, Carl, Rick, and Andrea. And Michonne and Ezekiel. Most of my favorites died already... Lori, Glenn, Abraham, Tyrese... this book is more brutal than Game of Thrones.
when i first read him, i REALLY hated Negan and wanted him dead like YESTERDAY!!!

but as the arc went on - he was very sociopathic, but he was also very charming in a very dark humored twisted way!

it was his interactions with Carl that actually made be begin to feel for Negan.
i mean sure he was a vicious killer, but he also had a tremendous singing voice!
Old 04-07-2016, 09:01 PM   #6
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by myconius View Post
when i first read him, i REALLY hated Negan and wanted him dead like YESTERDAY!!!

but as the arc went on - he was very sociopathic, but he was also very charming in a very dark humored twisted way!

it was his interactions with Carl that actually made be begin to feel for Negan.
i mean sure he was a vicious killer, but he also had a tremendous singing voice!
Nah, he's The Walking Dead's Joker. He's captivating, but it's like a cobra hypnotizing its prey.

He's charismatic and a leader, and absolutely the worst human being. There's something seriously wrong with him... somebody should have ended him long ago.

In new issues, the Whisperers are fascinating. Bizarre buggers... can't wait to see where it goes.
Old 04-07-2016, 09:17 PM   #7
myconius
Abby Normal

Quote:
Nah, he's The Walking Dead's Joker. He's captivating, but it's like a cobra hypnotizing its prey.

He's charismatic and a leader, and absolutely the worst human being. There's something seriously wrong with him... somebody should have ended him long ago.

In new issues, the Whisperers are fascinating. Bizarre buggers... can't wait to see where it goes.
yeah, i've gotten up to issue 150.

i was reading the series in TPB but i sold all my trades as well as he compendiums i was collection to convert to digital.

and i'm liking reading the series on comixology MUCH better!!!
the guided view is dope plus i can get the new issues after they've been out for a month or so for a dollar cheaper!
so i've been buying them in groups of 6 once they are all $1.99 an issue.

sure i'm only saving 6 bucks by doing it that way?
but that's $6 i can put towards more comics!
Old 07-07-2016, 05:49 PM   #8
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

So THAT happened...

Spoiler:
Negan killed Alpha. Straight up decapitation. Dang, what's his play!?

That former used cars salesman is one sick SOB.
Old 07-07-2016, 05:59 PM   #9
Foombamaroom
Lord of Cinder

OH GOD I'M SO HAPPY YOU'RE READING THEM.

The comics are just so damn good. Superior to the show in every way.

But that twist at the end of #156 was shocking as all ****. My jaw hasn't hit the floor that much since #100.
Foombamaroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 06:10 PM   #10
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foombamaroom View Post
OH GOD I'M SO HAPPY YOU'RE READING THEM.

The comics are just so damn good. Superior to the show in every way.

But that twist at the end of #156 was shocking as all ****. My jaw hasn't hit the floor that much since #100.
Yeah, I spent two weeks marathoning the series. Best freaking comic series I've ever read that wasn't TMNT. Just hearing all the changes the show makes, I'm not even going to bother watching.

Besides, Jeffrey Dean Morgan ain't no Negan. Doesn't look a thing like a used car salesman.
Old 07-07-2016, 06:17 PM   #11
Foombamaroom
Lord of Cinder

Quote:
Yeah, I spent two weeks marathoning the series. Best freaking comic series I've ever read that wasn't TMNT. Just hearing all the changes the show makes, I'm not even going to bother watching.

Besides, Jeffrey Dean Morgan ain't no Negan. Doesn't look a thing like a used car salesman.
JDM's a pretty decent Negan in my opinion. I still think Henry Rollins would be better, though. Or Kevin Durand.

And yeah, the show's kinda... Well. One episode's great, one's not, one's good, one's terrible, etc.

The cliffhanger at the end of Season 6 really ruined the show for me. I don't think I'm gonna bother watching Season 7. The comics are just way superior.
Foombamaroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 06:19 PM   #12
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foombamaroom View Post
JDM's a pretty decent Negan in my opinion. I still think Henry Rollins would be better, though. Or Kevin Durand.

And yeah, the show's kinda... Well. One episode's great, one's not, one's good, one's terrible, etc.

The cliffhanger at the end of Season 6 really ruined the show for me. I don't think I'm gonna bother watching Season 7. The comics are just way superior.
He's a great actor, and I think he has the voice for it... but the physical look is so important. Negan shouldn't LOOK like a threat. JMD usually does, 'cause he's a badass.
Old 07-07-2016, 06:47 PM   #13
myconius
Abby Normal

DAAAAMMMMMMMIT!!!!!!!! >.<
the email notification doesn't hide the spoilers!!!

i'd better unsubscribe from this thread
Old 09-09-2016, 11:31 AM   #14
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

#158 came out yesterday; Part 2 of the Whisperer War.

So... what's that saying the TV viewers have? If Daryl dies we riot?

#ifnegandiesweriot

IF NEGAN DIES, WE RIOT!!!!!
Old 09-09-2016, 11:49 AM   #15
Zak The Neutrino
Stone Warrior

I'm a few issues behind at the moment but I love the comic series! Just when you thought it couldn't get worse than Negan the new threat shows up to prove you wrong!
Old 09-09-2016, 11:57 AM   #16
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zak The Neutrino View Post
I'm a few issues behind at the moment but I love the comic series! Just when you thought it couldn't get worse than Negan the new threat shows up to prove you wrong!
I don't really buy the Whisperers as "worse" than Negan. The thing with Negan and the Governor was that both of them were cruel megalomaniacs.

The Whisperers COULD have been coexisted with, if not for the mistakes and choices Carl, Rick, et al made. So now it's war, but it's a war that could've been avoided.
Old 10-05-2016, 07:46 PM   #17
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Didn't see THIS coming.

RIP...

Spoiler:
... Lucille.
Old 06-07-2017, 07:54 PM   #18
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Negan is absolutely my favorite character by now. This issue was INSANE.
Old 06-07-2017, 08:47 PM   #19
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:

Negan is absolutely my favorite character by now. This issue was INSANE.
Kinda funny how your first post was talking about how Negan was worse than the Governor but now he's your favorite character. As for the issue this shows way I love Negan as a character, despite his brutality and lack of eloquence(seriously take a shot every time he says the word f$%k) the dude is very tactful and a competent negotiator, he can read people like a book and uses that talent to control them. When he first appeared as the leader of the Saviors I was asking to myself "Why hasn't anyone put a bullet to the back of this dudes head" but after reading this issue I kinda see why everyone followed him.

Last edited by PApagreg; 06-08-2017 at 01:05 PM.
PApagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 08:58 PM   #20
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PApagreg View Post
Kinda funny how your first post was talking about how Negan was worse than the Governor but now he's your favorite character. As for the issue this shows way I love Negan as a character, despite his brutality and lack of eloquence(seriously take a shot every time he says the word f$%k) the dude is very tactful and a competent negotiator, he can read people like a book and uses that talent to control them. When he first appeared as the leader of the Saviors I was asking to myself "Why hasn't anyone put a bullet to the back of this dudes head" but after reading this issue I kinda see why he everyone followed him.
I've always enjoyed him as a character, but he has finally convinced me that he CAN be redeemed.

If he's pulling a fast one, he's conned me along with Rick and company.