The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 08-14-2015, 07:18 PM   #1
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Coco - Pixar movie about Dia de Los Muertos

Pixar finally released a title and some details about this movie.

Quote:
The Untitled Pixar Movie About Dia De Los Muertos, as it’s been called, finally has a real title. Pixar revealed at today’s D23 presentation that the movie is officially named Coco, after one of the major characters in the story. Lee Unkrich is directing and Darla Anderson is producing. The pair last teamed up on Toy Story 3.

Unkrich explained that he’d discovered Dia De Los Muertos through the artwork. His appreciation of the colorful skeleton folk art led to his emotional investment in the holiday, which Unkrich described as a sort of “big family reunion between the living and the dead.”

The premise of the story comes from a simple question: “What if you could meet your long dead family members?” For research, Unkrich traveled to Mexico to see how the holiday was celebrated in different places, meeting many families and experiencing the traditions with them.

Described by John Lasseter as “breathtaking, beautiful, and fun” and by Unkrich as “emotional,” Coco follows a 12-year-old boy named Miguel who sets off a chain of events relating to a century-old mystery.

While further plot details are being kept under wraps for now, D23 attendees were shown a diorama, not originally intended for public viewing, that offered a taste of the general mood and tone. Here’s a description of what they saw:

A character lights a candle in a cemetary, as fireworks go off in the sky. An old woman drops flower pedals as she limps toward a colorfully decorated grave.

Cut to colorfully dressed skeletons dancing and playing music in a long, store-lined alley way. The skeletons detach their heads and legs during the course of the dance.

A mariachi band is playing. A boy drops his skull mask and the music stops for a second. Then the music resumes, and as fireworks go off, we see an aerial view revealing that the block is shaped like a skull.

http://www.slashfilm.com/pixar-coco-d23-expo/

Last edited by NinjaPug; 08-14-2015 at 07:49 PM.
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 10:24 PM   #2
drgon78
Mad Scientist

Sounds interesting.
drgon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 11:03 PM   #3
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Sounds grim for a Disney movie.
Old 08-14-2015, 11:08 PM   #4
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

So it's the Book of Life.
Old 08-15-2015, 05:06 AM   #5
drgon78
Mad Scientist

It does sound like the book of life but better.
Old 08-15-2015, 09:29 AM   #6
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
So it's the Book of Life.
I wondered if this project had been scrapped due to Book of Life since we hadn't heard anything about it since it was announced in 2012.

I gotta think it'll be a different take or Pixar would've scrapped it like they did with Newt since the story was too similar to Rio.
Old 08-15-2015, 01:03 PM   #7
The Stryker
Stupid Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPug View Post
I wondered if this project had been scrapped due to Book of Life since we hadn't heard anything about it since it was announced in 2012.

I gotta think it'll be a different take or Pixar would've scrapped it like they did with Newt since the story was too similar to Rio.
Or they just figure Book of Life faded away quick enough that they could slip in and do the same thing.

I liked Book of Life but it wasn't the hit that Rio was.

@~<3 Mom~@
The Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 05:03 PM   #8
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Details on the story and voice cast:

Quote:
Without further ado, we present the plot of Coco, along with its leading voice cast:

Despite his family’s baffling generations-old ban on music, Miguel (voice of newcomer Anthony Gonzalez) dreams of becoming an accomplished musician like his idol, Ernesto de la Cruz (voice of Benjamin Bratt). Desperate to prove his talent, Miguel finds himself in the stunning and colorful Land of the Dead following a mysterious chain of events. Along the way, he meets charming trickster Hector (voice of Gael García Bernal), and together, they set off on an extraordinary journey to unlock the real story behind Miguel’s family history. Character actress Renée Victor also joins the cast as Abuelita, Miguel’s grandmother.

“It was important to us from day one that we had an all-Latino cast,” Unkrich told EW. “It focused us, and we ended up with a fantastic mix of people — some from Mexico and some from Los Angeles.”

According to EW, “Bratt was cast relatively early on — Unkrich says he was the first, in fact — but Bernal took some more internal legwork. ‘Gael was someone we were considering early on, but I didn’t know if I’d be able to sell him [to Pixar chief John Lasseter] because he’s done so many films I’ve loved through the years, but he hadn’t really done comedy … Thankfully, our casting director said, ‘Have you seen this new show that Gael’s in?’ And it was Mozart in the Jungle, and I started watching and thought, ‘Oh my God, he’s so funny, he’s so charming, and he’s perfect.’ So, thank God for Mozart. It didn’t take any convincing on John’s part.’”

Newcomer Anthony Gonzalez is described as a “triple-threat who does all his own singing in the movie and came to the filmmakers’ attention during a nationwide search for Miguel — and not just as the character’s final voice, but his scratch (or temporary) one. ‘We actually had another kid doing scratch for Miguel who’s now 17 or 18, which should tell you how long we’ve been working on the movie, but his voice changed long ago, and it was actually in trying to find a new voice for the scratch that we found Anthony,’ says Unkrich.”
Old 12-06-2016, 06:08 PM   #9
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache

I can only imagine how frickin' gorgeous the animation will be.
TheSkeletonMan939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 08:44 AM   #10
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPug View Post
Pixar finally released a title and some details about this movie.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CMaeP2OUwAE3Qb1.jpg

http://www.slashfilm.com/pixar-coco-d23-expo/
I remember reading that Disney tried to trademark the term Dia De Los Muertos, but they couldn't cause Mexico came in, and stopped them from trying to trademark there Holiday.
Old 11-25-2017, 10:23 PM   #11
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Pixar has certainly done it again. Coco was not only a visual treat, but it had plenty of heart as well. I also thought the opening narrative was quite clever and very well-animated. The message of family was done exceptionally well in the film. It's really nice that both this movie and Moana have amazing elderly relatives of the main characters.

Spoiler:
At first I thought there was a slight possibility that Hector was really Miguel's great-great grandfather instead of Ernesto, but it wasn't until I noticed that the flower petal that Ernesto was trying to use to send Miguel home didn't glow like Mamá Imelda's that my initial thoughts were true.
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 02:17 AM   #12
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Eh, I'm still not feeling this movie. I usually watch Disney/Pixar movie all the time but this one...I picked to watch Justice League again at the theater.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 09:01 AM   #13
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Thought Coco was pretty damn good. Not top tier Pixar but really solid and better than anything else from Pixar the past 6-7 years except Inside Out.

For those that have seen both, how did this compare to Book of Life? I'm assuming Coco was different enough to continue with it after BoL was released.
Old 11-27-2017, 10:33 AM   #14
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

I think I'm gonna try to catch this in theaters
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 10:35 AM   #15
sdp
-

The movie was a big success in Mexico and well received, it premiered just before Dia De Muertos
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 09:55 PM   #16
drgon78
Mad Scientist

I saw it today, is is good, but not on the top tier for me.

The only similarities it has to The Book of Life is that they both are related to the same holiday and the importance of family.
Old 11-30-2017, 11:17 PM   #17
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Welp I suddenly have the urge to watch this movie today and... wow, I didn't think it would have an impact to me but it did. There's a heartfelt scene at the end that got me teary eyed too surprisingly. Another gem among the Disney film, I was so wrong to dismiss it earlier. Glad I did check this one out.

And the Frozen short was fine, those people complaining about it are crazy boring adults tbh.

An 8.8/10 tbh. Such a beautiful movie and the music is amazing too. Hope this movie will do well globally.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote