The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 06-24-2021, 11:03 PM   #1
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Windows 11

It's coming. Hopefully it doesn't muck everything up.

https://www.darkhorizons.com/windows...in-built-xbox/
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 12:10 AM   #2
Roseangelo
Emperor

Hah. My Windows adoption has been stubbornly delayed for like the last three versions. I only got a Windows 10 machine last year. No plans to upgrade unless maybe it comes with free pizza.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 12:33 AM   #3
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseangelo View Post
Hah. My Windows adoption has been stubbornly delayed for like the last three versions. I only got a Windows 10 machine last year. No plans to upgrade unless maybe it comes with free pizza.
If it's like they did before, they'll force you to upgrade before too long.
Old 06-25-2021, 06:47 AM   #4
frank_one
Mad Scientist

I'm fine with linux as my main system and windows 8 for selected applications.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 09:09 AM   #5
ABrown
Banned

We're finally supposed to be getting Windows 10 at work this summer, and it can't come soon enough.
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 09:52 AM   #6
frank_one
Mad Scientist

They say it will support Linux and Android applications. This could be a game changer.
Old 06-25-2021, 09:58 AM   #7
Vegita-San
Emperor

I thought windows 10 was supposed to be the last one ever released. so much for that.

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 10:12 AM   #8
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
I thought windows 10 was supposed to be the last one ever released. so much for that.
Yeah I remember when they said it was the final version, and treating it as a service. That's no longer the case it seems.
Old 06-25-2021, 10:39 AM   #9
sdp
Megan Fox = April

It's a free upgrade so technically it's still true, they're still treating it like a service, just that they're making some further improvements to be able to move on. I don't see why people have such a hard time changing OS's, it's just simple, especially if it's free. Vista was superior to XP in every way, except that it was hardware intensive, 7 fixed it by but it's basically the same OS as Vista yet people love that one. 8 was indeed horrible, but everyone got an upgrade to W10 which is just an upgrade of 7 with the good things of 8. W10 will just change if your system can handle it if not it'll keep W10, it's no big deal.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 10:44 AM   #10
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Regarding Windows 11. This new version requires that your system has TPM and Secure Boot enabled in the Bios. If you were using the checker to see if your system can run it, It will tell you that it can't because you don't have those enabled. If your system doesn't have a TPM module on the motherboard, But its for Intel, Then you have to enable Intel PTT in the bios for it to pass as its a software based TPM.
Old 06-25-2021, 12:51 PM   #11
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Look forward to actually seeing how they have it laid out, if it's better than 10 or just a minor upgrade of it...

Need a new system at some point, but been holding out for both money reasons (as what I've now got my eye on is kinda pricey) and hoping that if 11 is going to happen it might finally show itself at some point. (Plus having an old system I love and will legitimately miss when it is retired eventually, or, universe forbid, it gives up.)

My dream would be to have an option that simply makes the usability of it like XP... Still a remaining XP holdout on a 17-year-old HP desktop that has lasted me far longer than most computer's lifetimes. Though that said, after all the times I've had to try to help my mom with her laptop, I kind of hate 10, their decision to push it in a direction that takes cues from smartphones, and make it far harder to just simply find a lot of the junk that a basic user like my mom has no need or want to go looking into, but I do if trying to help her and it just feels like they had to go hide everything.

I hope 11 might be worth it.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 01:11 PM   #12
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Another thing about Win11, It requires an online connection, and also requires you have a microsoft account too.
Old 06-25-2021, 01:45 PM   #13
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

What do you mean it requires it? They all do if you want updates and whatnot, but surely the computer isn't useless if it's offline...

An account isn't a big deal imo so long as they aren't charging for it.
Old 06-25-2021, 01:53 PM   #14
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
Another thing about Win11, It requires an online connection, and also requires you have a microsoft account too.
Didn't Windows 8 attempt the same thing for login purposes?

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 03:23 AM   #15
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Looks like you guys have until 2025 to upgrade.

https://hotforsecurity.bitdefender.c...5JwPoaioAANluM
Old 06-27-2021, 07:46 AM   #16
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Windows 11 requires that you have TPM 2.0 enabled in the bios, But it doesn't mean you have to use it.

TPM 2.0 is something more for businesses, Which adds another layer of security, But for the average user they don't really need it, It basically encrypts the drives so that nobody can steal any of that data.

You just need to enable it in the bios and windows 11 will see it, You don't have to encrypt the drives at all.

This also means systems that have an older version of TPM or no TPM at all won't be able to run Windows 11.

So If you have an old laptop that you ran Windows 10 on, It will no longer be able to run Windows 11 because of those requirements.

My PC can run Windows 11 because its using modern hardware, The motherboard does have a header to install a TPM 2.0 module, However a lot of the current CPUs have TPM 2.0 built into the chip, You just have to enable it in the bios and your set.

This video below explains all of it.

Last edited by TigerClaw; 06-27-2021 at 07:52 AM.
TigerClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 11:06 AM   #17
sdp
Megan Fox = April

W11 will run android apps natively, that's a killer app, especially for a free upgrade.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 11:33 AM   #18
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Will older systems that came loaded with 10 be incapable and have to be replaced?

Should computers being sold today already be fully capable of running 11 and all that it is, or might they have some shortcomings as compared to newer ones that will come with 11 already installed...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Looks like you guys have until 2025 to upgrade.
At least lovers of 10 still have a while, but after Microsoft has held it up as being the thing for this long, as if it was the best ever and they weren't interested in ever moving on, I'm a little surprised they're already eyeing a date to kill it off and drop support.
Old 06-27-2021, 11:56 AM   #19
frank_one
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
W11 will run android apps natively, that's a killer app, especially for a free upgrade.
Will it run all of them though? We still don't know.
Old 06-27-2021, 01:01 PM   #20
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Will older systems that came loaded with 10 be incapable and have to be replaced?

Should computers being sold today already be fully capable of running 11 and all that it is, or might they have some shortcomings as compared to newer ones that will come with 11 already installed...?

At least lovers of 10 still have a while, but after Microsoft has held it up as being the thing for this long, as if it was the best ever and they weren't interested in ever moving on, I'm a little surprised they're already eyeing a date to kill it off and drop support.
Systems before they had TPM 2.0 won't be compatible any more.