TMNT #89 Preview and Discussion

Release: 12/19/2018.
First Look:
Spoiler:
AlZarkovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 03:54 PM   #2
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Here's hoping that Splinter gets some holiday cheer and can stop being a ninja warlord with an outdated, feudal mindset
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 04:01 PM   #3
Igglet

Man, I really like these Christmas issues. I feel bad for Splinter already, though. One of the writers shared some of the panels from this issue weeks ago and it had a lot of flashbacks, I assume that's what'll make up most of this issue.

We got some more stuff implying that Casey - Jennika might become a thing, that's interesting. I'm slowly starting to like Jennika more and more, she really started developing a personality when she became Chunin.

I wonder if Splinter's gonna behead anyone in the Christmas issue. That'd be such a Splinter thing to do. Dude spends the entire issue reminiscing past events, missing his family. Suddenly, he snaps out of it and goes "Oh! I almost forgot, I had an execution scheduled in about an hour."
Old 12-07-2018, 04:57 PM   #4
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Gosh darn it, we didn't need another Christmas issue so soon! It's throwing off the internal continuity!!! <nerd rage>
Old 12-07-2018, 05:02 PM   #5
Igglet

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Gosh darn it, we didn't need another Christmas issue so soon! It's throwing off the internal continuity!!! <nerd rage>
It's a Christmas issue, God damn it, how could you be mad with a Christmas issue? Screw the continuity, I just want to see Splinter dressed as Santa (preferably while beheading someone).
Old 12-07-2018, 05:03 PM   #6
CyberCubed
Overlord

This may be Splinter's last time of peace if Karai tries to wrestle control of the Foot out of his hands.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 05:22 PM   #7
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igglet View Post
It's a Christmas issue, God damn it, how could you be mad with a Christmas issue? Screw the continuity, I just want to see Splinter dressed as Santa (preferably while beheading someone).
Did you just say "screw the continuity!?"

You filthy casual. Geddouttahere.

Seriously, though, Issues #1-65 all happen in one year (also including Turtles in Time, Secret History of the Foot Clan, Bebop and Rocksteady Destroy Everything, and Universe #1-8 or so)... and then #66-89 are a whole damn year (also including Universe #9-15)?

That's an incredibly slow year compared to their previous. While I like the idea of the Turtles' new status quo post-#50 (Leo, Don, Raph with the Foot, Mike on his own) having been in place for a month or two, I still don't see those 25 or so issues stretching out a whole year.
Old 12-07-2018, 07:20 PM   #8
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

It does kind of give the some perspective for how long the year had gone and what has transpired, but...did that really happen all in one year It felt like our poor boys were dealing with all of this madness in a period of a single month .

But y'know...it just comes to show.

One Christmas your friend is showing up with a basket of candy. By the next, he's already died in a nuclear act of self-sacrifice, also with candy.
Old 12-07-2018, 07:47 PM   #9
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
It does kind of give the some perspective for how long the year had gone and what has transpired, but...did that really happen all in one year It felt like our poor boys were dealing with all of this madness in a period of a single month .

One Christmas your friend is showing up with a basket of candy. By the next, he's already died in a nuclear act of self-sacrifice, also with candy.
Candy. For the best of times, for the worst of times.
Old 12-07-2018, 09:13 PM   #10
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post

For some reason, I feel the same could be said of Splinter this time next year.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 09:18 PM   #11
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Yeah, I would say that's likely.
Old 12-07-2018, 09:21 PM   #12
ChosenOne
Banned

Bet you it's gonna hit a lot harder than Slash's death. It kinda has to. It definitely won't be an easy read.
Old 12-08-2018, 03:11 AM   #13
bushido
Stone Warrior

You know it's time

Spoiler:
Old 12-08-2018, 03:21 AM   #14
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

At the very least, I hope they at least make some kind of jabbing reference to it, like the "cowabunga" sweater at the very beginning...even if it's just down to someone yelling "We gotta get a gift for Splinter!".

Sweet ghost of Shen, there's even have a pack of children who can join in on the song. At least they have a reason to be around Splinter.
Old 12-08-2018, 03:59 AM   #15
Igglet

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Did you just say "screw the continuity!?"

You filthy casual. Geddouttahere.

Seriously, though, Issues #1-65 all happen in one year (also including Turtles in Time, Secret History of the Foot Clan, Bebop and Rocksteady Destroy Everything, and Universe #1-8 or so)... and then #66-89 are a whole damn year (also including Universe #9-15)?

That's an incredibly slow year compared to their previous. While I like the idea of the Turtles' new status quo post-#50 (Leo, Don, Raph with the Foot, Mike on his own) having been in place for a month or two, I still don't see those 25 or so issues stretching out a whole year.
B-but... Christmas...

No, but really, I honestly doubt #1 - #65 all happened within a year. Just because there's no Christmas issue doesn't mean there's no Christmas if you get me.

Plus, I'm pretty sure #5 was a Christmas issue too, actually. And I'm convinced there's a few more that we're all forgetting.
Old 12-08-2018, 05:11 AM   #16
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Bobby said continuity was not a factor, they enjoyed working on #65 and wanted to do another Christmas issue. That is the real world explaination.
Old 12-11-2018, 04:34 PM   #17
Michael Dialynas
Random Punk

A SYFY exclusive just went up with some extra pages
Plus a look at my cover for #90 since we are now post #88...
Enjoy!

EXCLUSIVE PREVIEW: SPLINTER LEARNS THE TRUE MEANING OF CHRISTMAS IN IDW'S TMNT #89
Michael Dialynas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 04:55 PM   #18
Igglet

My God, I don't remember being this hyped for an issue in a long, long time.

This is such a funny and wholesome concept and I'm loving it. From what I understood, this will be a larger issue, won't it? In all honesty, I expected this would just be flashbacks but this seems like so much more fun. "Toad Baron teaches Splinter the true meaning of Christmas" is literally the one sentence I never believed I'd utter and it's also the single best sentence I've ever uttered. I can't WAIT to see how it plays out. Still betting on Splinter beheading someone.

And, honestly, Dialynas' art has suddenly become my new favorite thing. I swear, everything he draws is suddenly elevated to a whole other level. I mean, DID YOU SEE THAT #90 COVER? Sweet baby Jesus.

Oh, and have I mentioned how good Dialynas' art is? Well I'll mention it again. I swear, if I could, I'd hug the man.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:29 PM   #19
ChosenOne
Banned

That's one gorgeous (and ominous!) cover for #90!
Old 12-11-2018, 07:50 PM   #20
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Of fvcking course Toad Baraon is the Ghost of Christmas Present

I'm gonna say...Rat King and Gothano will be stopping by as well. I'm pretty relieved that the turtles aren't actually involved with Splinter and they're all coming down from the events on Burnow in their own particular ways. Going to guess that Splinter is going to rope them together at the end.