The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 09-19-2018, 02:37 PM   #21
CyberCubed
Overlord

I wonder how they're going to cram the rest into only two more issues, feels like this should have been a 4-parter. But we know it's not now that we know #89 is a standalone Christmas issue. They have a LOT to cover in the next two issues.

Overall this was a great start and really this storyline was long overdue, so we finally got to it. You can tell everything else they were building up was all leading to Bishop's attack on Burnow Island, against the Utroms and wanted to continue to go after the Triceratons, and of course Ch'rell being revived.

Given the Turtles asked the Mutanimals for help, why didn't they ask Angel, Alopex, Casey, Jennika to go with them too? You'd think they'd want all the allies they could get. Since they showed them in this issue it would have been nice to see them go along with them.

Also...they remembered Traag and Granitor exist. I thought they were just gonna be forgotten since we didn't see anything of them after the early 50 issues when the Turtles just beat them and they were locked up.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 02:43 PM   #22
ChosenOne
Banned

I'm having a hard time imagining how #100 can be even more epic than this arc is shaping up to be. I, too, would like it if at least Angel and Alopex joined the fray; Casey and Jennika at least have an excuse to stay behind. Bishop will probably suffer a crushing defeat in #88, same as Krang did back in Attack on Technodrome, and his importance in the story will diminish after this.

Will Slash's mind actually be restored? What will he do with himself afterwards? Will Ch'rell bring the Technodrome back into play? How will the issue of aliens living in Burnow Island be resolved? Will Stockman turn on the Turtles for good? Who was the Roswell Utrom? Is he important? Was that Bishop Jr. or Sr.? So many questions, characters and plots coming together that I definitely give thanks this wasn't decompressed into four issues!

I love me a battle royale!
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 02:47 PM   #23
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenOne View Post
I'm having a hard time imagining how #100 can be even more epic than this arc is shaping up to be. I, too, would like it if at least Angel and Alopex joined the fray; Casey and Jennika at least have an excuse to stay behind. Bishop will probably suffer a crushing defeat in #88, same as Krang did back in Attack on Technodrome, and his importance in the story will diminish after this.

Will Slash's mind actually be restored? What will he do with himself afterwards? Will Ch'rell bring the Technodrome back into play? How will the issue of aliens living in Burnow Island be resolved? Will Stockman turn on the Turtles for good? Who was the Roswell Utrom? Is he important? Was that Bishop Jr. or Sr.? So many questions, characters and plots coming together that I definitely give thanks this wasn't decompressed into four issues!

I love me a battle royale!
Pretty sure this will end with Bishop's invasion being thwarted and the EPF withdraws to lick its wounds. Not defeated, just repelled. And Slash probably left behind...

I realized last night, what if instead of Slash being killed or completely rescued, what if his mind has completely reverted to pre-psychotropic injection as a way to escape the horrors of what he's done?
Old 09-19-2018, 02:51 PM   #24
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Pretty sure this will end with Bishop's invasion being thwarted and the EPF withdraws to lick its wounds. Not defeated, just repelled.
The EPF has been repelled and/or thwarted plenty of times already. It's time the Turtles score a major win against Bishop so they can stop looking over their shoulders all the time... And start looking ahead to whatever evil scheme Kitsune is cooking up.

Plus, Karai's coming back. There won't be much room left for Bishop in 2019, I wager.

As for Slash, I don't really know what to expect. I was already surprised he wasn't killed off back in Desperate Measures so... What do I know?
Old 09-19-2018, 02:56 PM   #25
CyberCubed
Overlord

Issue 90+ is probably going to be mostly about the Patheon, along with Karai coming back to NY to probably take the Foot Clan back from Splinter, so who knows.

Bishop and Ravenwood will likely still be around post issue 100 though.
Old 09-19-2018, 03:08 PM   #26
neatoman
Emperor

Well up until now I've imagined Scottie Ray's voice for Shredder. Not sure what I'll do now.

Speaking of the Ch'rell/Shredder connection. I know his armor couldn't look like Shredder's for obvious reasons, it just feels kind of wrong that it doesn't, You know?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 03:14 PM   #27
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Well up until now I've imagined Scottie Ray's voice for Shredder. Not sure what I'll do now.

Speaking of the Ch'rell/Shredder connection. I know his armor couldn't look like Shredder's for obvious reasons, it just feels kind of wrong that it doesn't, You know?
I feel ya!
Old 09-19-2018, 03:30 PM   #28
CyberCubed
Overlord

I just really wonder how they can differentiate Ch'rell from Krang in this series, since Krang was very serious and evil in this version and not silly or comedic. Likewise with Shredder probably being revived by the Patheon around issue 100, Ch'rell can't take over the mantle of Shredder either.

We basically are going to have another evil rogue Utrom running around, but in the IDW-verse it's going to be a challenge to have him stand on his own separate from Krang rather than feeling like a replacement. If he can't become a new Shredder either, what will they do.
Old 09-19-2018, 03:36 PM   #29
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I just really wonder how they can differentiate Ch'rell from Krang in this series, since Krang was very serious and evil in this version and not silly or comedic. Likewise with Shredder probably being revived by the Patheon around issue 100, Ch'rell can't take over the mantle of Shredder either.

We basically are going to have another evil rogue Utrom running around, but in the IDW-verse it's going to be a challenge to have him stand on his own separate from Krang rather than feeling like a replacement. If he can't become a new Shredder either, what will they do.
Zealot, bloodthirsty warrior. Not a "by any means necessary" megalomaniac savior to his people.

Think Klingon instead of Cardassian. It's easy.
Old 09-19-2018, 03:48 PM   #30
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlZarkovski View Post
Absolutely awesome beginning!

Spoiler:
This Utrom escaped from the dying planet, flew to the Earth and his ship crashed. Wait, somewhere I've already read it... It's SUPERMAN SUPERUTROM!
He crash landed on Earth, where the oxygen is too dense for him, and was exposed for a quite a while. If he's anything, he's SuperDead. If the atmosphere didn't kill him, his injuries probably did.

But oooh...yeah, the turtles were pretty terrible in this issue. The kind of nipped the "new divisions could stop them before it begins" thing in the bud. "Too bad, we're going." Raph is probably just going to end up dragging his feet.

I'm getting the feeling that the next issue will be very much a Ch'rell & Ma'riell and Mutanimal issue. And of course the flashback to Bishop Sr and SuperDead Utrom.

In regards to Ch'rell's armor though...I realized it's definitely an homage to 2k3 Ch'rell's' tendency to just go really big with his armor. This one seems to top them all .
Old 09-19-2018, 09:53 PM   #31
ChosenOne
Banned

Bobby has confirmed that the agent in the Roswell flashback is Bishop Sr., so... Given the timing of said flashback and the way it lines up with Bishop Jr.'s memories and certain words he said, which would make one think he had to have been present at the scene...

Crazy theory time: "Bishop Jr." is that crash-landed Utrom in a robot exo-suit! Either that or his "father" literally uploaded his own memories into a robot body somehow, but that doesn't seem to gel so well with TMNT lore and what we saw of the old man's personality before his demise. At least I don't think so.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:35 PM   #32
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

There's a lot of holes in that idea.

First, the Utrom found in Roswell is most certainly dead. Again, either died by the crash itself, its injuries, or by oxygen toxicity.

Second, even if that was the case, I think Bishop would be behaving very, very differently. Unless the Utrom was somehow convinced that he was a human and has forgotten his Utrom existence. Which seems very, very unlikely. Attacking the Triceratons is understandable, but I don't think he'd be attacking other Utroms.

What I can say is that Bishop was probably the result of messing around with Utrom technology. And perhaps Ravenwood is the result of meddling with Utrom biology. Of course, that's a bigger stretch, but it could be a good way to do the "half Utrom " human thing that 2012 failed to do.

Also, Bishop Sr made it clear that there were monsters in Area 51...so maybe more Utroms would turn up?

We've only just started on that storyline; I get the feeling that we'll only just be very surprised.
Old 09-20-2018, 07:08 AM   #33
ChosenOne
Banned

Could be an Utrom equivalent of Leatherhead, for all we know. But I do believe that every possible theory we can come up with at this point is just waaay off and we'll be surprised by the truth either way.
Old 09-20-2018, 07:15 AM   #34
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

That tends to be the usual path IDW takes.

What we thought would be a great big Leatherhead fight in a sewer was a brief chat and hallucination(???) in a museum.

What we thought was just a general "I want to take over the world" plot was more of a "I miss my dad" plot.

The one thing I can say for certain is that the likelihood of Ch'rell and Ma'riell having some kind of sour air with their father and a dead/absentee mother is through the roof. Because of course they would in this series. Unless they surprise us/me by doing something different for once, like the father being dead/absent from the family situation. (Obviously they're both gone by this point, but in terms of backstory, things are getting pretty repetitive)

Last edited by Utrommaniac; 09-20-2018 at 07:31 AM.
Utrommaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 03:12 PM   #35
shredder orokusaki
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
I feel ya!
My plan is to save the utroms from Bishop so i can kill them myself! HAAHAH !! The 2003 Utroms escaped from me because they knew i was hunting them. But these Utroms dont know iam the Shredder! And because of that i can kil them at any time! HAHAHAHAAHAHAH I will kill Bishop and his soliders and then kill all the utroms. Then i will finish working on my Shredder utrom robot body and wil ltake foot back from Splinter and turtles.
Old 09-20-2018, 03:13 PM   #36
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredder orokusaki View Post
My plan is to save the utroms from Bishop so i can kill them myself! HAAHAH !! The 2003 Utroms escaped from me because they knew i was hunting them. But these Utroms dont know iam the Shredder! And because of that i can kil them at any time! HAHAHAHAAHAHAH I will kill Bishop and his soliders and then kill all the utroms. Then i will finish working on my Shredder utrom robot body and wil ltake foot back from Splinter and turtles.
Reported. Can the RPG crap, pal.
Old 09-24-2018, 01:21 PM   #37
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Now, in reviving the question as its related to the backup...

It's pretty likely the EPF is going to end up losing Slash (who knows if that means he'll be saved or if he'll die) and that the'll capture Raphael. Likely so they could succeed at something once they inevitably fail the invasion.

But why would the EPF want to capture Raphael (or any of the boys) if they have all the turtle they'd need in Slash? It would be like replacing a tank with a small truck. Unless they don't intend to weaponize him and instead study him?

Except the turtles are all together as a group in the Christmas special, so maybe the Raphael macro is happening in a later storyline? 90-93?
Old 09-24-2018, 02:04 PM   #38
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
But why would the EPF want to capture Raphael (or any of the boys) if they have all the turtle they'd need in Slash? It would be like replacing a tank with a small truck.
Why do, say, the X-Men need Wolverine when they have Colossus? Different tools for different jobs. Slash is a heavy hitter, Raph is a ninja. Very useful for infiltration and/or assassination, since subtlety is definitely something Slash struggles with.

But I do like your notion of "evil (brainwashed) Raph"... Turtle Shredder, here we go! (Wishful thinking, haha!)

Although, given everything we've seen, IDW Turtle Shredder would most likely be Leo rather than Raph.
Old 09-24-2018, 02:09 PM   #39
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Well...that could have happened very early on .

The other point is very good though...somehow I didn't think about that.
Old 09-24-2018, 02:13 PM   #40
ChosenOne
Banned

There weren't enough Shredders yet earlier on for that to be worth it, but now we have Saki, Karai and Ch'rell all as potential candidates in the near future... Gimme my Shredder War, damn it!