The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 07-03-2017, 04:01 PM   #1
Prowler
Emperor

What's your opinion on the "Millennial generation"?

So... Millennials. Or Gen Y. Apparently it's people born between 1981 and 1994-1995. Basically, I, a guy born in 1990, is a part of that generation.

Well, like every other generation out there, it has good and bad things. And the people who are in their 20s nowadays will most likely have different opinions when they get in their 50s. Kind of like baby boomers became quite conservative in the 80s when they were organising student protests and the whole "make love not war" thing in the 60s.

What don't I like about this generation? Well, its obsession with social networks. Especially the duckface photos and such. Nothing wrong with using facebook or instagram, but lots of people clearly don't use it so smartly. Although it's not just young people who act stupid on it.

Another big gripe of mine is the excessive political correctness by so many people of my age bracket. They see prejudice where it doesn't exist. Also, why does this generation have so many militant vegans? Holy hell.

Then there's things like manbuns, twerking, "bae", "thug life", etc. that's just stupid or annoying.

Things I like about this generation? Its appreciation of nostalgia and older things. The internet is a great resource to discover old video games, tv shows, anime, etc. that might as well be new for us. That's my favourite thing, I think. Another one is that people around my age usually don't care much for religion. And if they do, they're usually not in your face crazy about it.

What about you?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 04:07 PM   #2
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

I think this video sums it up

Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 04:08 PM   #3
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
I think this video sums it up

You did it wrong. Remember the way to embed a YT video on this website is diff from other websites. I keep forgetting the trick.

EDIT: Nvm, can see it now. I'll watch it and tell you later what I think.
Old 07-03-2017, 04:20 PM   #4
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Millenials are dope.
Old 07-03-2017, 04:28 PM   #5
CyberCubed
Overlord

I think the funny thing is we were all born at the exact right time that everything was going on. Videogames became big in the mid-80's and now virtually all millennials play videogames, whereas our parents generation did not. Movies/TV shows, etc. all got huge because of VHS and then DVD and now online streaming that we can watch anything we want, whenever we want.

Anime exploded in the west in the late 90's and early 2000's, before that anime was non-existent outside of Japan. Cartoons started getting much better in the 90's and early/mid 2000's than before.

All the most popular celebrities, movie stars, singers, actors, etc. all seemed to have gotten their start around the 80's, 90's, or early 2000's. We can literally watch the most famous actors/singers entire careers in the span of a week or two.

Also we were born into technology. Can you believe the internet did not even exist to the general public before 1995? Or the rise of cell phones? Or as I said VHS/DVD, etc? We got it all. Videogames, e-mail, online streaming, etc. Taking pictures with your phone...you don't even need to own a camera anymore. Can you believe people used to write handwritten letters to one another?

Then of course there's the rise of "date whoever you want." Gone are the traditional family values of a man and woman getting married and having two or three kids. Now you can never get married, never have kids, have multiple relationships, gay or lesbian relationships, have two girlfriends at the same time, etc. The old traditional values of 1950's America are now gone. Do whatever you want, be whoever you want.

What a time to be alive.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 04:28 PM   #6
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

They're participating in killing traditional, time-and country-bound, radio and TV and that's very fascinating.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 04:33 PM   #7
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Personally I find it weird that anyone born before 2000 is considered one. Sure, Gen Y was a lazy naming job, but why do people who were Gen Y for many years prior to the 21st century suddenly grabbing (or being forced to adopt) a whole other label. I could understand late 90s babies maybe being included, but other than that I think kids born the first decade or two of this century should get to be the owners of that label...
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 04:37 PM   #8
CyberCubed
Overlord

80's and 90's generation should be labeled, "New World Order."

2000's kids should be "Millennials."

I feel like 80's and 90's kids shaped the world as we know it.
Old 07-03-2017, 04:40 PM   #9
Prowler
Emperor

OK the guy in that video makes lots of good points. And ofc as people get older their narcissism and their entitlement levels will go down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Personally I find it weird that anyone before before 2000 is considered one. Sure, Gen Y was a lazy naming job, but why do people who were Gen Y for many years prior to the 21st century suddenly grabbing (or being forced to adopt) a whole other label. I could understand late 90s babies maybe being included, but other than that I think kids born the first decade or two of this century should get to be the owners of that label...
Well yeah. I, too, was surprised when I found out that people born in 1995 were included in the same bag as people born in 1981. And, at first, I assume Millennial was for kids born around 2000-2001 as well, but then again those kids aren't even 18 yet, so they're not having a huge impact on the world yet.

And ofc generations are man made, as the video Kappa posted above says. I was born in 1990 and have seen people born later or earlier telling me "I'm part of the 1991 generation" or "I'm part of the 1988 generation".

Tbh, I believe that the only generational name that's consensual is the baby boomer generation considering those people were born in the years after the largest war in the history of mankind.
Old 07-03-2017, 04:41 PM   #10
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I can certainly think of generations who will really disagree with that. Esp those who participated in World Wars, Vietnam, protesting to get the vote, race equal rights, etc, as opposed to some 25-year-old who created an app or something.
Old 07-03-2017, 04:43 PM   #11
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
80's and 90's generation should be labeled, "New World Order."

2000's kids should be "Millennials."

Why New World Order? lol

Shaped the world as we know it? Dude until people born from the 1980s onward become state leaders you can't say that.

Quote:
I can certainly think of generations who will really disagree with that. Esp those who participated in World Wars, Vietnam, protesting to get the vote, race equal rights, etc, as opposed to some 25-year-old who created an app or something.
Yeah I'd say baby boomers still get that credit.
Old 07-03-2017, 04:44 PM   #12
ToTheNines
[sic]

Baby boomers are ****ing filth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
Millenials are dope.
Yeah boy.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 04:48 PM   #13
CyberCubed
Overlord

Also our generation is far less racist or homophobic than our parents generation. For obvious reasons, it always seems like the most racist/homophobic people are the 50+ and over crowd who were born in the old days. I guess it was just the way things were back then.
Old 07-03-2017, 04:52 PM   #14
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
Baby boomers are ****ing filth.
eh my parents are OK.

Quote:
Also our generation is far less racist or homophobic than our parents generation. For obvious reasons, it always seems like the most racist/homophobic people are the 50+ and over crowd who were born in the old days. I guess it was just the way things were back then.
Hmm... I wouldn't really generalise it that way. It's just that nowadays it's way less socially acceptable to be openly racist. But there's lots of prejudiced younger people. Also, baby boomers were the young people of their time that fought to end discrimination against certain types of people. They can't all have become prejudiced as they aged.
Old 07-03-2017, 05:21 PM   #15
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Where we are today is still connected to the work of prior generations in prior centuries. Wouldn't have what we do now if it wasn't built up from the work of others. Every generation brings their own stuff to the table and tweaks what needs changing. Normal progress. The first generation that doesn't, or worse, takes us backwards... well, I guess they were a waste and prob ruined things instead.

Kids and young adults these days didn't just magically become less racist... They only got that way because older generations realized it was wrong and chose to raise them differently. (Granted some families still maintained the old mentality.)
Old 07-03-2017, 05:23 PM   #16
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Where we are today is still connected to the work of prior generations in prior centuries. Every generation brings their own stuff to the table and tweaks what needs changing. Normal progress. The first generation that doesn't, or worse, takes us backwards... well, I guess they were a waste and prob ruined things instead.
Eh... progress isn't always forward. I mean Europe took several step downs from the fall of the Roman Empire into the Middle Ages aka the Dark Ages. Then got back on its feet again during the Renaissance. Who knows if Europe wont' go back to being a hell hole 200 years from now on.
Old 07-04-2017, 03:18 AM   #17
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Eh... progress isn't always forward. I mean Europe took several step downs from the fall of the Roman Empire into the Middle Ages aka the Dark Ages. Then got back on its feet again during the Renaissance. Who knows if Europe wont' go back to being a hell hole 200 years from now on.
I don't know if the Age of Renaissance in Europe was so good, except some scieitists who almost died for it. Kings and queens under absolute power, nobility still strong and almost always inner-Christian war between Protestants and Roman Catholics. Better Age of Enlightenment then.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 03:41 AM   #18
snake
Disgusting

They're bad but not as cancerous as boomers. I have more faith in my generation (gen z) than the already failed millennials.

Last edited by snake; 07-04-2017 at 03:59 AM.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 12:05 PM   #19
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
They're bad but not as cancerous as boomers. I have more faith in my generation (gen z) than the already failed millennials.
What do you think are the main differences between your generation and the millennial one?

Eh I don't think boomers are that bad. I've met lots of very interesting and cool people in their 50s-60s.
Old 07-04-2017, 12:27 PM   #20
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
You guys grew up with social media, selfies, and youtube...I say you guys already have it worse off. I suggest you guys invent something that will change the world like teleportation, time travel, or flying cars to make up for it.