The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 07-27-2020, 12:19 PM   #21
Leo656
The Franchise

I mean, I don't KNOW, I'm merely assuming. There has to be a financial incentive for Playmates to sub-license to other companies, or they wouldn't do it.

I mean, you "own" a brand. Would you rather let other companies put out toys of "your" property without getting any money for yourself? Especially if you, yourself, are in a state where your own output is "dormant". Why would you do that? The kindness of your heart?

Playmates does not produce a lot of new material in recent years that I'm aware of. Thus, if they weren't getting some kind of kickback from NECA and Super7, I have to believe that they would no longer even be in business. Much bigger and more prominent companies have folded or been bought out. Even Mattel has been struggling for years, and they owned DC and WWE, two of the biggest licenses for boys' toys in the world, not even counting their He-Man stuff or their Barbie line for girls. If Mattel is "struggling" then Playmates should have folded ages ago, by any rational expectation. So they're obviously getting money from someplace.

I have to believe that either they get a percentage of every figure sold, OR there was some kind of lump-sum payment received from each of those companies in exchange for the rights. Maybe "NECA pays Playmates $______ every year for the duration of the contract which is for ____ years," or something like that. There's just no way that Playmates makes $0 while these other companies make TMNT toys. That simply doesn't happen.

That said, I'm not in that business, so I don't know the Ins and Outs. But there's just no way that Playmates isn't compensated for sub-licensing.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Leo656; 07-27-2020 at 12:25 PM.
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 01:07 PM   #22
italianice388
Stone Warrior

the awesome mirage art on those boxes makes me feel sad at a.) how awful these are [imo] and b.) how little love the mirage series has gotten in terms of actual figures beyond neca's incredible original line (and maybe mondo's).
italianice388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 01:21 PM   #23
AquaParade
Banned

That's a good guess, Leo.

At least there's always the chance that Viacom eventually pulls the master license from Playmates. Who are they impressing? It will come down to the financials of course, which is another reason to wonder.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 01:26 PM   #24
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Man, Playmates has really sunk to a new low. What an absolute disgrace. Just color the same toys from 10+ years ago slightly different and repackage for $25. And they have the nerve to pull it in this economy in the midst of Covid-19? Degrading, appalling, offensive, and a abhorrent.

I feel sick to my stomach just thinking about it.
This. F**k this company. How the mighty have fallen!

If they'd re-release something cool, like Movie Star turtles or one of the more popular variant waves, iconic gross-out villains, they'd be set. But this kinda sh*t? Die out.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 01:34 PM   #25
inaheap
Mad Scientist

I have wondered if part of the reason Super7 seems to have no issue just making turtles to order is that they just pay a percentage of every figure to Playmates. It is in Playmates better interest to let them make whatever they want.

We do not stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing

When I became an adult I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.
inaheap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 01:50 PM   #26
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
That's a good guess, Leo.

At least there's always the chance that Viacom eventually pulls the master license from Playmates. Who are they impressing? It will come down to the financials of course, which is another reason to wonder.
They're impressing the same people who bought the "Rise" figures, and the two movie lines previously.

As in "nobody". Nobody bought any of those TMNT toys. That's the joke.

Thus, if Super7 and NECA aren't giving Playmates a kickback then Playmates is quite simply out of business. Again, I don't have the Hard Data, but that's gotta be the case. Nobody buys the TMNT stuff Playmates sells, not since the early waves of the Nick cartoon line. Since then, three of their TMNT lines all tanked right in a row. TMNT is like all they do, really, isn't it? Again, I'm not familiar with too much of Playmates' output, but other than TMNT I don't know any other "big" brand names that they handle. They're not a major player in the business and haven't been for a long, long time.

They must do very well off of what NECA and Super7 sells, especially since they've let those companies do even MORE toys in recent years. So essentially, Playmates is staying alive because other companies make better toys while paying them a kickback for the license. Nothing else makes any sense.

I'd personally love to know the Ins and Outs of that particular deal. Anybody know what Super7's deal with Mattel for the He-Man rights were? It's probably very, very similar, and could answer a lot of those questions.

Old 07-27-2020, 04:35 PM   #27
The-Shredder
Hench Mutant

This is what they were planning back in 2008-2009.

Spoiler:

The-Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 05:21 PM   #28
Swaynomics930
Foot Soldier

Damn those wouldve been copped!!! That shredder and white foot are xope
Swaynomics930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 05:43 PM   #29
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I think the adult collector has plenty of stuff out there for this minimum effort, I mean shouldn't they already have the molds for these:

?

At least they tried with those.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 07:45 PM   #30
Leo656
The Franchise

Depends on whether or not they ever made it past the prototype stage. If not, they may have lost/thrown out the prototypes since they figured they wouldn't be used. That happens quite often.

Old 07-27-2020, 07:48 PM   #31
wpugh2424
Mad Scientist

I would have purchased those 2008/9 ones myself
Old 07-27-2020, 07:51 PM   #32
Leo656
The Franchise

I might'a gone for 'em.

They don't look too incredibly different from the ones they're actually proposing now, but I mean at LEAST those have Mirage-accurate belts and stuff, and the color of the paint is MUCH better on those older ones. These new ones are like "Eh, just smudge out the letters on the belts." Just so lazy.

I mean, it's whatever. It just would be nice if they spent more than a dollar apiece on "re-doing" each figure. If they're not gonna put out new sculpts or whatever then at least switch the gear up to be more authentic.

Old 07-27-2020, 08:17 PM   #33
mikey0
Foot Elite

Still misses the mark. NECA did it better.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 08:39 PM   #34
slaysghosts
Foot Soldier

oh ****, somebody hacked mikey0's account.

or there's a glitch in the matrix.

Do yourself a favor: Bookmark this page ---> Click Here

Also, a lot of people have obnoxiously large signatures and you'll get use to it.
slaysghosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 09:10 PM   #35
JonesyKitty
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
These new ones are like "Eh, just smudge out the letters on the belts." Just so lazy.

I mean, it's whatever. It just would be nice if they spent more than a dollar apiece on "re-doing" each figure. If they're not gonna put out new sculpts or whatever then at least switch the gear up to be more authentic.
It looks to me like they sculpted a little piece that fits perfectly over the inital buckle of the belt. If you look at the shots on Toyark you can see where they just stuck another little piece on it. So I mean, they kinda sculpted something new haha
JonesyKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 09:12 PM   #36
AquaParade
Banned

I probably would have bought those back before there was all this competition. The turtles actually look kind of fun. And I love that janky white foot ninja for some reason.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 09:41 PM   #37
King Kahn
Stone Warrior

Just trash. D effort.

Tinfoil hat.

I sure hope playmates isn?t trying to flex their muscle and screw over what Neca or super 7 Are doing like they did back in 2009 to neca.

I hope playmates lose the master rights. 2020 playmates would never have released what 1990 playmates did and that?s sad.

They?ve seen what other companies have done in action figures over the decades and have actually done worse figures Since the 90s.

Last edited by King Kahn; 12-31-2020 at 08:36 PM.
King Kahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 10:08 PM   #38
Rukitron
Stone Warrior

They cancelled Rise and go on a short hiatus for TMNT and this was the best they came up with? I mean really.
Rukitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 10:17 PM   #39
Spidergreg
Mad Scientist

I already have 2 sets of these, 1 MOC 1 loose.... How many times are they trying to make me buy these? Plus at 6" scale, that smooth paint job is really ugly.... at least give it some shading.

Seriously Playmates, what is taking so long that u had to release these on December? With the minimal effort, you could have released these 7 years ago. Oh, for the holiday season?? Silly you....
Spidergreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 11:35 PM   #40
dragonside
Hench Mutant

Definitely pretty disappointed..echoing a lot of the comments here.

The one main comment I'd like to make is...I'd love some collector's versions of 2003 Turtles OR a Super Premium Version of the Classic Collection with amazing accuracy/paint. Like go for Archie Versions of the Turtles.

A video from my channel to explain my thoughts:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7Gp3WWDggs
dragonside is offline   Reply With Quote