The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 03-21-2019, 10:50 PM   #381
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

The Red Angel...

Spoiler:
Of all the possible candidates that would have made for something somewhat interesting, whether it was someone from TNG's time or even Mirror Universe Michael (which I thought for sure it would be)... they make it the least possible and most dumb person ever. Michael's mom. Basically mommy didn't like her daughter dead, so she used a Section 31 suit to time travel to save her. Which also means she always would have done that, I guess, so this means this isn't a splinter timeline. Exactly.

And yeah. Section 31 patented actual time travel suits in the 23rd century.

Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 05:40 AM   #382
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Good god, this show is ridiculous....Michael Burnham is probably the most self involved Trek character in recent memory...only Quark might be more about himself, but he's a freakin Ferengi.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 08:47 AM   #383
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
The Red Angel...

Spoiler:
Of all the possible candidates that would have made for something somewhat interesting, whether it was someone from TNG's time or even Mirror Universe Michael (which I thought for sure it would be)... they make it the least possible and most dumb person ever. Michael's mom. Basically mommy didn't like her daughter dead, so she used a Section 31 suit to time travel to save her. Which also means she always would have done that, I guess, so this means this isn't a splinter timeline. Exactly.

And yeah. Section 31 patented actual time travel suits in the 23rd century.

Not surprised, really. Seemed to be where it was going. Ugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Good god, this show is ridiculous....Michael Burnham is probably the most self involved Trek character in recent memory...only Quark might be more about himself, but he's a freakin Ferengi.
So it's not just me? Burnham is the worst. The absolute worst.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:46 AM   #384
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I can't stand her. There isn't one thing coming out of her mouth that isn't overly dramatic.

Also how nice that the latest episode made sure and take time out for lengthy and in depth speeches about pansexuality and gender identity... what the show is really interested in talking about, as opposed to strange new worlds.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:56 AM   #385
Vegita-San
Emperor

exactly what I feared a modern star trek show would be about in this 'woke' era.
oy...... now that moonves is gone, you'd think they'd cancel it. he got it off the ground.

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 10:51 AM   #386
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Has anyone noticed the trope joked about in Futurama, where technobabble is translated by a simple analogy, has been turned up to 11 in this season?

Old 03-22-2019, 11:17 AM   #387
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Has anyone noticed the trope joked about in Futurama, where technobabble is translated by a simple analogy, has been turned up to 11 in this season?
You mean the "Time Crystal"?
Old 03-29-2019, 06:38 PM   #388
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Oh jesus... I had a feeling they were going to do it earlier in the season, but after this episode it seems abundantly clear:

Spoiler:
This season of STD is giving us the direct origin of the Borg. Even though the Borg Queen said there was Borg in the 21st century and that would make no sense.

Guaranteed this season ends with "Command" getting enough info from the Sphere to evolve into the Borg Queen, just before Discovery finds some way to send it to the Delta Quadrant.

They're going down a checklist of things "edgy" in Trek. Klingon Wars, Section 31, the Borg, etc..
Old 03-29-2019, 08:51 PM   #389
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Oh jesus... I had a feeling they were going to do it earlier in the season, but after this episode it seems abundantly clear:

Spoiler:
This season of STD is giving us the direct origin of the Borg. Even though the Borg Queen said there was Borg in the 21st century and that would make no sense.

Guaranteed this season ends with "Command" getting enough info from the Sphere to evolve into the Borg Queen, just before Discovery finds some way to send it to the Delta Quadrant.

They're going down a checklist of things "edgy" in Trek. Klingon Wars, Section 31, the Borg, etc..
Dammit, I was hoping they wouldn't do this. UGH.
Old 03-29-2019, 10:08 PM   #390
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Which totally screws up cannon, as the Borg exist in the 21st century according to First Contact.

Also: Spock Likes Science.

Old 03-29-2019, 10:25 PM   #391
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Which totally screws up cannon, as the Borg exist in the 21st century according to First Contact.
Spoiler:
Yeah, that's what I was saying. And they could say, "Oh, it was just a throwaway line in the movie," but it wasn't. It was the driving motive behind EVERYTHING the Borg did in the movie. Their plan was literally to hijack the deflector dish on the Enterprise-E and use it to communicate with the Borg of the 21st century -- everything they did in the movie after the beginning was to this purpose. We know this because the movie tells us this. And if there were no Borg yet in the 21st century, there would be no one for them to try and communicate with.

I mean, technically they could find a way to throw the Borg Queen at the end of this season to the Delta Quadrant... IN the 21st century, or at some point in the past before that. THAT could work. But given Kurtzman's disposition to openly regard canon below the story (even though the story always SUCKS!) I wholly expect him to be made aware of that by others, but completely disregard it anyway.

I also read somewhere that there was even Borg activity in the 13th century in some Voyager episode? Does anyone remember that?
Old 03-30-2019, 04:22 AM   #392
Stephen
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Spoiler:
Something quite major seems to be planned for the end of season 2.
https://www.trektoday.com/content/20...ge-everything/

Quote:
Buckle up, Discovery fans – the Star Trek: Discovery actors are promising an unexpected ending. Plus: Fan reactions to the show have been noted.

Speaking with TrekCore at last weekend’s PaleyFest, some of the Discovery actors spoke about what is yet to come.

“I personally think that the end of the season is going to be tremendous,” said Ethan Peck. “When [Kurtzman] first told me about it I was like in tears. I just had chills.”

“As I read the final script for Season 2, my jaw dropped, and I’m dumbfounded with where we’re headed,” said Doug Jones. “So I think the fans can expect to boldly go where no Star Trek series has ever gone before.”

“Expect the unexpected, is what my mother always says; and it couldn’t be more true, especially on this season, cause it’ll change everything,” said Wilson Cruz. Cruz also added that Hugh Culber’s readjusting to life will continue in the third season.

“I think that the last few episodes will really close the circle for people,” said Anthony Rapp. “If we’ve done our job, what was on the page…in the scripts, closes the circle. It answers the questions that are lingering and remaining for people of how we fit in. And I believe very strongly that it will leave people satisfied.

“As someone who cares about continuity, to some degree, I was like, ‘If this doesn’t make people happy, I don’t know what else we can do.'”

SyFy Wire also reported on PaleyFest and they quoted Alex Kurtzman regarding online fan commentary on the series. “We are entirely aware of everyone’s questions and criticisms,” he said. “I’ve read everything, and I see where everyone’s like, ‘Well, the spore drive never existed!’ and ‘What, Discovery was never around!’ and all of those things; we’re totally aware. You will get an answer.”
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 04:29 AM   #393
Stephen
Hench Mutant

Quote:
I also read somewhere that there was even Borg activity in the 13th century in some Voyager episode? Does anyone remember that?
Yes, the episode "Dragon's Teeth" - By the 24th century, the Borg have been around for at least 900 years.
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki...Teeth_(episode)
Old 04-18-2019, 11:18 PM   #394
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Oh god... the season finale...

Spoiler:
It goes right into the big battle... and it's just like the battle in the beginning of "Revenge of the Sith." Enterprise and Discovery LITERALLY have hundreds of starfighters -- yes, single-manned STARFIGHTERS that look like a cross between little TIE-Fighters and the squid ship from Star Trek 2009 -- inside that they can deploy. Also, astromech-like droids that can go outside and repair damage to the hull, just like Star Wars. I-I... I can't. There are no words.

The good news is that Discovery is -- apparently -- permanently 950 years into the future. Permanently. They tidied up its place in the history books at the end of this episode.
Old 04-19-2019, 01:46 AM   #395
Leo656
The Franchise

I recently picked up the Star Trek animated series on DVD. Based on my fuzzy childhood memories, it honestly sounds like it has a lot more to do with Star Trek than anything Star Trek has done in the last 15 years, but especially this show.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 08:41 AM   #396
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:

Spoiler:
It goes right into the big battle... and it's just like the battle in the beginning of "Revenge of the Sith." Enterprise and Discovery LITERALLY have hundreds of starfighters -- yes, single-manned STARFIGHTERS that look like a cross between little TIE-Fighters and the squid ship from Star Trek 2009 -- inside that they can deploy. Also, astromech-like droids that can go outside and repair damage to the hull, just like Star Wars. I-I... I can't. There are no words.

The good news is that Discovery is -- apparently -- permanently 950 years into the future. Permanently. They tidied up its place in the history books at the end of this episode.
Yeah, the time jump has been my prediction ever since the Short Trek in question.

Not sure how I feel about it. On the one hand, I'm glad the Discovery will stop mucking about in prequel territory, reinventing Klingons and doing really stupid crap.

On the other hand, I'm worried that the powers that be will make a TON of idiotic decisions about the future and everything that took place in the last 950 years. But on the other other hand, I'm also excited to finally see some future Trek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I recently picked up the Star Trek animated series on DVD. Based on my fuzzy childhood memories, it honestly sounds like it has a lot more to do with Star Trek than anything Star Trek has done in the last 15 years, but especially this show.
That show was underrated. Cheap production, some episodes are silly, but it was truly Star Trek's fourth season. They played their $hit mostly straight.
Old 04-19-2019, 11:01 AM   #397
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Spoiler:
Good to se I want alone in my loathing of Enterprise's astro mechs....sigh

Old 04-19-2019, 11:17 AM   #398
Stephen
Hench Mutant

Quote:

Spoiler:
The good news is that Discovery is -- apparently -- permanently 950 years into the future. Permanently.
Spoiler:
Which then raises the question of how the Section 31 series is going to work if Georgiou has also ended up in the future
Old 04-19-2019, 11:18 AM   #399
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Spoiler:
Which then raises the question of how the Section 31 series is going to work if Georgiou has also ended up in the future
Maybe they send her back in the suit, thus sealing up their only way home and cementing them in the 33rd century or whatever.

Great article:

https://medium.com/@thejohnprice/the...jqHwq7lsJUNs7g

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 04-19-2019 at 12:00 PM.
Old 05-06-2019, 01:14 PM   #400
ZariusTwo
Overlord

CBS Consumer Products EVP Veronica Hart has been named the EVP of Star Trek Global Franchise Management

https://deadline.com/2019/05/star-tr...ns-1202608011/
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote