The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old Yesterday, 03:22 PM   #141
mikey0
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by propguy View Post
It all boils down to poor figure design and general fatigue. I'm 36, I remember being disappointed that all the newer figures didn't have that same odd/gross out personality of the earlier figures. The more they were cleanly sculpted and cute, the less tmnt they were. Also didn't need Apollo 11 turtles and such, they are cool figures, but not what a 10yr old is expecting to see when they look through the pegs at the store...
Exactly. The 1986 AmToys Madballs meets 1981 Mattel Masters of the Universe angle to the 1988 Playmates TMNT toy line was gone with each new passing turtle variant in stores. It got so bad that there were not any basic waves for the original 1988 Playmates line anymore at all. Iím sure the toy designers at Playmates Toys, along with the creators of the 1984 Mirage Comics comic book, would much rather forget about the years 1995 to 1997 than try to make a fast buck off of a Classic Collection Make My Day Leo reissue.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:23 PM   #142
propguy
Mouser

Yeah, the fact they kept reissuing the original line over and over says the first couple waves were more interesting. The crude/irreverent style of those figures were where the charm came from. It's almost a parody of action figures just as the comic was a parody of superhero comics. Napolean bonafrog? It's almost a joke in and of itself its an action figure and that's why we subconsciously love those figures
propguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:51 PM   #143
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Emperor

Quote:
Napolean bonafrog?
He appeared in the original cartoon two years before the action figure came out, so he was not created directly for the action figure line.
Because of continuity and timeline errors, I've given up writing fanfiction based on the 1987-1996 animated television series. Instead, I'm trying to reboot the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles story, something many other fanfiction writers alredy do:

Hopefully, stories will later appear at

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/968367/O...NT-Cartoon-Fan
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:37 PM   #144
I Crave Pizza No More
Mad Scientist

Quote:
It all boils down to poor figure design and general fatigue. I'm 36, I remember being disappointed that all the newer figures didn't have that same odd/gross out personality of the earlier figures. The more they were cleanly sculpted and cute, the less tmnt they were. Also didn't need Apollo 11 turtles and such, they are cool figures, but not what a 10yr old is expecting to see when they look through the pegs at the store...
Maybe. But the 1994 Pizza Tossin' Turtles, which channel Rat Fink, are plenty gross but still pretty unimpressive figures. I'd take the Apollo 11 guys over them any day.
I Crave Pizza No More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:03 PM   #145
mikey0
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Yeah, the fact they kept reissuing the original line over and over says the first couple waves were more interesting. The crude/irreverent style of those figures were where the charm came from. It's almost a parody of action figures just as the comic was a parody of superhero comics. Napolean bonafrog? It's almost a joke in and of itself its an action figure and that's why we subconsciously love those figures
That was the problem with the original Playmates line. These toys of cartoon characters that were spoofs of comic book characters of the early 80s became a parody of the successful action figure lines before it so much that casual toy buyers did not know what it was anymore!

I never liked the Turtle watch, peace sign necklace, and neon green top and pink surfer bottoms on the 1990 toy for Napoleon Bonafrog. The toy designers at Playmates Toys in the 80s and 90s got a little too excited over making this toy line “hip” to children of the late 80s and 90s. I think the original 1988 Playmates toy line is ‘very 90s’ to adult toy collectors. One of the most 90s toy lines to ever exist (with Micro Machines and Koosh Balls tied at a close second) actually! For that reason, many action figure collectors and sellers just can’t get behind it like they do for the 1977 Kenner Star Wars line, 1981 Mattel Masters of the Universe line, 1982 Hasbro G.I. Joe line, and 1984 Hasbro Generation 1 Transformer line. With that said, in all of its zaniness, the original Playmates toy line is one of a kind.

Children of the 90s do not think of the 1990 to 1997 toys as the greatest thing to happen in the 1990s. Adult collectors usually only purchase the 1988 and 1989 toys from the 1988 Playmates line. The question becomes, was the 1988 Playmates toy line an 80s toy line or a 90s toy line? The Turtles are ‘a 1990 phenomenon’ and most people are divided over the debate of whether the year 1990 was an 80s year or a 90s year. I’m real sorry to say it, but the original Playmates toy line was launched at the wrong time.

Last edited by mikey0; Yesterday at 07:14 PM.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote