The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 04-29-2018, 02:50 PM   #61
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
That's not really the weird part, it's that new fans brought in by other stuff don't seem as vocal.
Could partly be a factor that it just didn't have any competition at all back then (with Mirage being for a more mature audience and unknown to most kids) compared to having other newer TMNT options today AND a much larger cartoon market in general with far more channels, on demand, and online/streaming options, that newer fans have to choose from. Made today it might not be anything to rave about, but it was novel back then and beloved in its time and remains so because of it.

Quote:
It's really odd that most haven't moved on to Mirage or IDW
May partly just be that not everyone is the comic type.

I fully intend on doing Mirage at some point (already have a collected volume 1 I haven't yet dug into), but comics as a concept have never really been my thing. I've enjoyed some of what I've come across online now and then, but I admit that if it goes off for too long on non-Turtle characters it starts to lose me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by victory_angel View Post
If the Turtles had any foods that they enjoy eating that isn’t pizza what would it be?
If lunch is Leo's biggest meal like mine and given the kind of stuff he might be into, I suggest for him one of my quick easy ones:

Spoiler:
Bag of mixed veggies, the kind steamable in-bag in microwave for abt 6 min, plus these or similar noodles by them (or similar substitute) heated for 1.5 min in microwave...

...then mix it all together with an Asian style sauce of choice. Makes a pretty good sized meal, relatively healthy (I assume?), and quick to make.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 04-29-2018 at 03:07 PM.
IndigoErth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 02:54 PM   #62
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
Batman 66 wasn't regarded as a joke until the dark grim'n gritty revival of Batman, before that Adam West's potrayal defined what Batman was.
Creating films and TV series based on hero and superhero comics wasn't that easy back in the late-1960's.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 08:24 PM   #63
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
If lunch is Leo's biggest meal like mine and given the kind of stuff he might be into, I suggest for him one of my quick easy ones:

Spoiler:
Bag of mixed veggies, the kind steamable in-bag in microwave for abt 6 min, plus these or similar noodles by them (or similar substitute) heated for 1.5 min in microwave...

https://guideimg.alibaba.com/images/...f-6_485122.jpg

...then mix it all together with an Asian style sauce of choice. Makes a pretty good sized meal, relatively healthy (I assume?), and quick to make.

Ha ha it's even called Kame.
Old 04-29-2018, 10:30 PM   #64
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

lol A nice coincidence, yes. I suppose technically that makes it Turtle food.
Old 04-30-2018, 12:34 AM   #65
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I agree on Don being more of a sandwich person. Unless he pops some bread in a toaster for heat and crunch, he might just be happy with cold cuts, cheese, and whatever veggies he can cut up and add.

Mike strikes me as the "master of the kitchen" - the kind that would chase his brothers away from the stove if they tried to snitch bacon off the drying plate before the meal was done - so he'd make more than enough stuff for everyone to have through the day.
Old 04-30-2018, 09:00 AM   #66
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Well, he IS canonically the one who cooks most of their meals. Even mentions it in the TMNT rpg book.
(Which I now proudly own and plan to run a game out of at some point.)

As for the fans debate, What Cubed said is largely true. It WAS the biggest, most well-known, and "earliest" version for a VERY long time, and yes, that makes a huge difference. It was also the ONLY one outside the comics (movie trilogy aside) for many years, too. So naturally it fills a larger role in the fandom. Not only that, but it was what STARTED the Turtlemania craze to begin with. It is what people remember, so that is why so many are so vocal in their fondness of it.

For the record, the original Wizard of Oz movie DID have much the same role/impact, both for its time and even now, as a "family classic". And yes, Batman TAS was the "first" in the sense that it came right on the heels of the Burton film, so it was riding the popularity of it, since it had much the same tone and look but in animated form. It had a huge audience and was considered a game-changer for animation at the time.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 02:16 PM   #67
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
For the record, the original Wizard of Oz movie DID have much the same role/impact, both for its time and even now, as a "family classic".
Really? Nobody I know even knows/remembers the original Wizard of Oz. Or the first remake. Or the second. It's all about the '39 version.
Old 04-30-2018, 02:22 PM   #68
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
Really? Nobody I know even knows/remembers the original Wizard of Oz. Or the first remake. Or the second. It's all about the '39 version.
Wicked has a fairly decent fanbase though, right?

Anyway, seeing how everything from the Muppets to Futurama have made a version of Wizard of Oz, I wonder what a TMNT version would be like?
Hahahaha!

Last edited by neatoman; 04-30-2018 at 02:32 PM.
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 02:43 PM   #69
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post

Unless there is an earlier version I'm unaware of, the 39 film IS the "original". The other Oz films were all sequels or prequels. "Ozma of Oz", "Return to Oz", and "Oz the Great and Powerful" to name the main ones, all of which were loosely connected to it in some way, either as "direct sequels", implied sequels or prequels, or a combination. "Wicked" is a remake/prequel as well. But the Judy Garland movie IS the definitive one, given that it was a ground- breaker for its time (first movie to use both black and white/Technicolor) and was basically the first movie adaptation of the book(s). There are various animated, full musical(most of which are based on the 39 one to some degree), and/or stage adaptations, (The Wiz comes to mind), but they all came much later.

Old 04-30-2018, 03:12 PM   #70
The-Shredder
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Wicked has a fairly decent fanbase though, right?

Anyway, seeing how everything from the Muppets to Futurama have made a version of Wizard of Oz, I wonder what a TMNT version would be like?
This is the first thing that comes to my mind.

The-Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 03:17 PM   #71
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Well, I've seen a few fan-art pics that kind of gave an idea how that would look.

Old 04-30-2018, 03:20 PM   #72
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Quote:
Unless there is an earlier version I'm unaware of, the 39 film IS the "original".
There are a few that predate it.

There were a few, a few of which L Frank Baum or his son (slightly related to that, I had a passing acquaintance with his son when we visited an Oz store in Vegas (in 2001 or so). It was my parents who spent a lot of time chatting with him while my brothers and I wandered around the store. We have his The SillyOzbuls of Oz books signed, but they're packed away somewhere, so I haven't properly read them.)
Old 04-30-2018, 03:26 PM   #73
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Earlier than 39? I've never heard of any, even back to silent films. Might IMDb it but I've always heard of it as the first Hollywood adaptation.

Old 04-30-2018, 03:38 PM   #74
neatoman
Emperor

I suppose this might work:

April - Dorothy
Leo - Lion
Raph - Tin Man
Don - Scarecrow
Splinter - The Wizard
Renet - Gilda
Shredder - Wicked Witch

And I guess Mikey can be Toto.

Quote:
Earlier than 39? I've never heard of any, even back to silent films. Might IMDb it but I've always heard of it as the first Hollywood adaptation.
There sure are.

Hahahaha!
Old 04-30-2018, 04:17 PM   #75
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Eh, I don't know about Splinter being the Wizard, considering the Wizard's extremely fraudulent nature. It might be the only option, but I'm not so sure everything fits together except for him being the most likely to deliver the "but don't you know??? It was in you all along!" lesson.
Old 04-30-2018, 04:30 PM   #76
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
Eh, I don't know about Splinter being the Wizard, considering the Wizard's extremely fraudulent nature. It might be the only option, but I'm not so sure everything fits together except for him being the most likely to deliver the "but don't you know??? It was in you all along!" lesson.
What about Baxter as the Wizard then?
Hahahaha!
Old 04-30-2018, 05:08 PM   #77
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Maybe Splinter can fill in for Auntie Em. She doesn't have much involvement (but often neither does he), but she's presumably Dorthy's guardian and her the link to home, turning up in the crystal ball as Splinter has in visions.

Or Bishop as the Wizard? He's pretty damn unpredictable and manipulative in most cases and hard to know what side he's on, if he's being friend or foe.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 04-30-2018 at 05:18 PM.
Old 04-30-2018, 05:29 PM   #78
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Neither of them are really worthy of delivering the "it was in you all along" lesson in the end.

I think Professor Honeycutt would be the ideal option. Not necessarily in the "charlatan" aspect, but in his struggle to dodge around severe problems and not address them until it's almost too late.

They share a particular spectrum of cowardice - that being hiding from persons who look toward him for knowledge and going into hiding to avoid particular enemies. But still owning up to that what he did was a terrible mistake, and is capable of imparting wisdom to those he thinks deserves it.

I think his speech patterns are more suited to a "Wizard" as well.

There's also the shared "professor" title from the 1939 movie - relating to Professor Marvel, who Dorothy met when she was running away from home.

Last edited by Utrommaniac; 04-30-2018 at 05:35 PM.
Utrommaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 05:51 PM   #79
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

I always wondered if the Turtles would be willing to participate in cannibalism. (In other words, I always wondered if they wouldn't shy away from consuming/eating another [non-anthropomorphic] turtle.)

(I know. That's an oddly morbid thought, Papenbrook.)

Last edited by Papenbrook; 04-30-2018 at 05:59 PM.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 06:15 PM   #80
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

What... lol I imagine it might feel as creepy to them as eating other species of apes might be to us.

Humans have eaten chimps and whatnot, but something about that just sounds/feels wrong... I mean, if it's all there was then I imagine the Turtles might, just as we would, but it probably wouldn't make it feel right.

Esp finding out what your distant cousins, so to speak, taste like. Ew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
I think Professor Honeycutt would be the ideal option. Not necessarily in the "charlatan" aspect, but in his struggle to dodge around severe problems and not address them until it's almost too late.
Ah, good one!