The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 03-01-2018, 11:57 AM   #61
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
I do think that Splinter is being controlled to some capacity.

For the Rat King, the Foot-EPF teamup would mean bringing chaos on faster than without their team up, but that would mean Splinter being unrelentingly insistent that the people trying to kill mutants like him are good partners for fighting off aliens.

We've Splinter show similar behavior to this before - when he was demanding to focus on Shredder as a low-level threat over the high-level threat that was the Technodrome. The differences is that the turtles were able to get him to sit down and shut up. This time, it's different.

But there is one interesting thing I just realized about Splinter's behavior:

Donatello almost died the last time he took their advice. Why should he do it again if it means the risk of losing one of his sons again. And this time...he doesn't have Fugitoid around to help.
It's a fair point, but it severely undercuts Splinter as a character and makes him much less interesting. I don't want that.

And last time he was focused on the wrong threat, he was only responsible to his four sons. Now he is responsible to an entire clan as well as his four sons. And he's trying not to show favoritism to his sons, as we've seen time and again.

All of this is believable for Splinter acting on his own, even though it is heavily misguided and shortsighted.

Last time, he didn't focus on the world-ending galactic threat and instead focused on the personal vendetta. This time, he's doing the opposite... but he's wrong again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Yeah I think Slash will eventually die, not anytime soon but a bit further down the line. He died in the Archie series (granted all the Mutanimals including Leatherhead died in Archie), but his continued control by Bishop makes it obvious his character is going to try to redeem himself.

As said, Bishop inevitably leading to Slash's death will cause Old Hob to go beserk over losing his first real friend and oldest member of the Mutanimals and would seek vengeance. It would make a great arc in the future.
I'd love that. I really really would.

I don't see any way for Slash to come to terms with this. Ever. Shattered psyche, right here. He's going to be a tortured soul, take out Bishop at the cost of his own life (or fail trying), and Hob is going to be pissed.

Points to Cubed for pointing out that Slash is Hob's first (and maybe only?) friend!
Old 03-01-2018, 12:12 PM   #62
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Boy, between Hob and Ch'rell, we'll have quite the "avenge my friend!" thing going on.
Old 03-01-2018, 12:49 PM   #63
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Boy, between Hob and Ch'rell, we'll have quite the "avenge my friend!" thing going on.
Was it really necessary for Krang to be eaten by Leatherhead?

The art switch was honestly not that noticeable.

The story though,we know this confrontation will lead to the Triceratons given residence on Burnow Island. Why would the TMNT allow that if this race was created and recreated by the utroms? What pieces do the TMNT know and not know that we the readers do?
Old 03-01-2018, 01:03 PM   #64
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I'm going to say...yeah, it was necessary. In fact, it changes everything.

I think an exiled Krang would mean an entirely different storyline, especially if the "Oncoming Doom" (which for some reason, reminds me of "The Oncoming Storm" moniker for The Doctor by the Daleks ) is going to have significant implications for the story onward. It would mean a significantly calmer Ch'rell, which would probably be the factor that would decide how drastic things might get.

An actual "Krang in exile" would still be a fun storyline, but that's for an alternate universe where Kleve and Montuoro got Krang out of Leatherhead's path.

The turtle probably know less than we do about the Triceratons, and that's probably going to be difficult for Donatello when he has to be a mediator for them and the Utroms.
Old 03-01-2018, 01:49 PM   #65
Mutant Ninja Anole
Stone Warrior

I’m too busy to look it up, but I’m pretty sure Tom or one of the other creators that posts here flat out said, “No Splinter is not being controlled,” FWIW.
Old 03-01-2018, 02:02 PM   #66
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
Was it really necessary for Krang to be eaten by Leatherhead?
Hell yes it was! That was awesome.
Old 03-01-2018, 02:23 PM   #67
CyberCubed
Overlord

Yeah, I love the fact that the two main villains of the franchise, Shredder and Krang, are now dead. It really raises the stakes when you have main villains killed off like that.

Granted Shredder is probably going to be revived and brought back to life in some form, its already been foreshadowed, and every TMNT universe does a, "Shredder is back" or a "Shredder is revived/brought back to life" story, but it'll probably end again in a big climax around issue 100 or a little after.

I actually wish they'd kill off some other villains too for that matter. Wouldn't mind seeing Leo finish off Koya because she's going insane as well, or as I said before Slash possibly dying, etc. I was mixed on Hun still being around but if he's going to patch up things with his son and become an ally like Baxter is currently then I'm fine with him sticking around too.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 02:35 PM   #68
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Koya doesn't seem to be set up as a "character going to die", I think.
Rather, I think she's just going to have to swallow that nasty vinegar of reconciliation. She's too minor a villain. Since Sophie Campbell seems to have created her, I think she has other plans in mind for her ultimate fate.
Old 03-01-2018, 05:54 PM   #69
AlessandraDC
Thug

Quote:
Koya doesn't seem to be set up as a "character going to die", I think.
Rather, I think she's just going to have to swallow that nasty vinegar of reconciliation. She's too minor a villain. Since Sophie Campbell seems to have created her, I think she has other plans in mind for her ultimate fate.
I hope they don't kill off Koya! She has the potential to be developed more. And I can't wait to see her face off against Leo again.
AlessandraDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 03:58 PM   #70
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

Here's my full summary and review of TMNT #79 at TMNT Entity.

Satisfying to finally see the Turtles and Splinter butting heads. It has me looking forward to next issue, though I don't want to see that tension between them diffuse too soon (if anything, I want to see it get worse).

The Turtles have been in the margins for a bit too much of this storyline. Now that they're back in the spotlight, I think they need to stay there.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 04:19 PM   #71
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpengler View Post
The Turtles have been in the margins for a bit too much of this storyline. Now that they're back in the spotlight, I think they need to stay there.
Amen to THAT ! ! !
Old 03-04-2018, 04:39 PM   #72
Rooish
Devil's Advocate

Quote:

Satisfying to finally see the Turtles and Splinter butting heads. It has me looking forward to next issue, though I don't want to see that tension between them diffuse too soon (if anything, I want to see it get worse).

Always look forward to your updates. I want the tension to worsen too. I love the idea of the Turtles vs. Splinter leading up to 100.
Rooish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 04:39 PM   #73
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:

I definitely think #80 will focus on Clan Hamato versus the Foot Clan for the majority, with only minimal cutaways to Baxter Stockman and the O'Neils, just enough for us to learn what kind of plan April has formed and see it put into action. I do wish #80 was gonna be a double-length issue though; the conflict between Splinter and his sons deserves to be explored in great detail. I definitely don't think he's under the Rat King or anyone else's control, this is just a case of Splinter's feudal ninja warlord mentality really clashing with the modern-day sensibilities of his sons. I really want to see how this goes down.
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
#thestockmanconspiracy, baxterstockmantruther