The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 10-21-2017, 11:00 AM   #21
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
I can remember 4 Karais (4Kids era in Shredder armor, 2k7 movie, Nick era Snake Mutant, and Nick era human form). How many figures did Venus get?
afaik there's 3 Venus figures: Basic, Blacktop Boardin' Venus and Camo-Armor Venus.

It's really lame that Karai in the 2k3 line never got a Standard outfit version
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 11:45 AM   #22
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
afaik there's 3 Venus figures: Basic, Blacktop Boardin' Venus and Camo-Armor Venus.

It's really lame that Karai in the 2k3 line never got a Standard outfit version
Wow, I had no idea! For a short-lived series like Next Mutation, it's actually impressive how much Playmates was willing to push Venus merchandise!

I was trying to remember how many action figures Splinter has received from Playmates, and I don't know that it's a ton more than April. Maybe he has between 15-20 in the standard scale?

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 12:39 PM   #23
CyberCubed
Overlord

Wasn't the only female mutant in the original toyline Mona Lisa? I seriously can't recall any others. Not counting cat/April for that one toy. Then of course we had Venus when Next Mutation came out.

Since then we've barely had any female mutants. There is Quarry, but as a mutant you couldn't tell and even the Turtles were all shocked Quarry was female when they demutated her in Season 2.

In the Nick series, again? Any female mutants besides snake Karai?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 01:16 PM   #24
Ninjinister
無問題

Does 2012 April count as a mutant figure?
Old 10-21-2017, 02:55 PM   #25
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Boys primary target (despite the fact that girls and women make up a good chuck of fans and always did) + "ew, girls."

Girls and 'girl things' are socially toxic to many male humans, ya know. /sarcasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
It's the same reason there aren't many female mutants. Nobody wants an animal toy with boobs.
You wouldn't? Come on... lol

Although putting boobs where they really shouldn't be will always be weird. But gotta have obvious gender identifiers, I guess, because humans are assumed dumb.

A plus for Nick Mona Lisa (and kudos for Nick on choosing that some space lizard is not going to have the anatomy of Earth women). Surprising that they didn't make a figure for her. I bet she might have sold okay.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 03:53 PM   #26
stcardinal
Foot Soldier

Quote:
"Girl figures don't sell" said the old geezer from marketing, meanwhile people are going nuts over the new female characters Marvel Legends is getting.
Or the pegwarmers that I see everywhere.
stcardinal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 04:36 PM   #27
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Although putting boobs where they really shouldn't be will always be weird. But gotta have obvious gender identifiers, I guess, because humans are assumed dumb.

A plus for Nick Mona Lisa (and kudos for Nick on choosing that some space lizard is not going to have the anatomy of Earth women). Surprising that they didn't make a figure for her. I bet she might have sold okay.
Pretty much this.

But we didn't get Sal Commander either so um... yay equality?
Old 10-21-2017, 05:53 PM   #28
CyberCubed
Overlord

Wasn't the only space arc figures they made was a Triceraton, Lord Dregg, Armaggon, and Fugitoid? Besides the Turtles/April?

We didn't get Mona Lisa or Sal Commander, or Wyrm or Bellybomb either. Seems they only made the 4 most important characters of the arc.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 06:45 PM   #29
Powder
So tired of this place

The lack of a new Wyrm toy hurts me in ways I can't properly articulate.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 07:04 PM   #30
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
The lack of a new Wyrm toy hurts me in ways I can't properly articulate.
Indeed! And lots of cancelled guest mutant toys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Wasn't the only space arc figures they made was a Triceraton, Lord Dregg, Armaggon, and Fugitoid? Besides the Turtles/April?
Also Space Casey and the Robobug minion.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 07:15 PM   #31
sdp
-

Well as much people like to complain, especially some in this thread the sad fact is that, girls just don't buy action figures. No, just because your niche community all bought the figure doesn't mean there's actual demand. I've seen numbers from stores and they shelfwarm. It's not marketing, toy companies have tried marketing to girls making doll versions where boys are the main demographic and they always fail.

The main people who buy female figures are the adult collectors which is why some lines like Marvel Legends can do a better job but the logistics in making female figures easy to find for people who want them and not overstocking is not an easy task. It's depressing since I hate having incomplete sets because they preferred to make c-tier male bad guy over a main character just because its a girl.

As a kid I always wanted an April figure but anytime I was at the store I was swayed over by getting my 30th raphael instead so I was part of the problem I would hope that in the future more toylines including TMNT can do a better job though, keep releasing them even if they're rarer to see, I mean the problem is a toy company listens to internet whiners who most don't buy figures and make a wave featuring a female that doesn't sell and then we get no more female figures blaming hiring someone who didn't know how to read the market.

Also the sculpts that they give some of the faces of female characters, that's definitely not helping. Playmates being a huge offender for the most part through out the years.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 07:22 PM   #32
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Which is a shame, because it goes back to generalizing that society often does. One girl does poorly and, oh well, guess women are bad at this thing. (Including being action figures.) Some male people/figures/whatever do poorly too, but no one chucks the idea of male ones/men aside for it.

Honestly, then why not just make them more limited in production? Make fewer if they don't expect they will sell as well too much beyond more hardcore collectors, but then also make them more exclusive and possibly in demand that way if they're some that are harder to get. Thus, fewer to make, fewer to sit collecting dust in a toy aisle, but people who want them may put in more just to get hold of them.

I mean look at some stuff for the Turtles and, in particular, how poor Donnie tends to be shorted. He's there, but there might not be as many of him per case. Just do similar...
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 02:01 AM   #33
newfan
Mad Scientist

My son has April, Karai and snake Karai among his figures. Mostly he'll play with the Turtles and a bad guy but of the other characters he uses Karai a lot in his games, I think he sees his figures as TMNT rather than 'girls toys' like fashion dolls for example, he is a younger boy though, not sure if an 8/10 year old would be the same?
Saying that though, he does prefer male characters/superheros.

Anyway, as others have pointed out, girls like the shows too.

EDIT: I prefer the space April figure to the regular April (2012) as her face looks more like her.

Last edited by newfan; 10-22-2017 at 03:23 AM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 02:10 AM   #34
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
girls just don't buy action figures.
1) I have never seen legitimate data corroborating this, nor can I even fathom how that data could be accurately collected
2) They probably would, a lot more, if this s**t was actually marketed to them.
3) You don't have to be a girl to buy a female action figure
Old 10-22-2017, 09:22 AM   #35
sdp
-

It's not that difficult, girl figures don't sell, they don't even need to know who buys them, because basically no one does, companies have tons of ways to gather data on whose buying what, it's not super accurate but whatever that's not the point here, the figures don't sell, period.

Some figure lines have indeed been marketed to girls and have failed, most recently the action figures of DC Superhero girls, not the doll ones, the actual action figures.

Of course you don't have to be a girl to buy a female action figure, but they don't sell in normal lines, having them be chase figures or the like seems to be the best way to go for them, sure scalpers get them but if not then too many are produced. Companies know female figures sell to adult collectors for example since that's who they market to and those female figures sell and there's demand from the vocal customers.

Toy companies want to make money, they don't care who's buying and believe me they know who is buying, it's their business to know.
Old 10-22-2017, 09:46 AM   #36
Sumac
Banned

Believe me...Companies know...

How about an actual data instead of personal convictions?
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 10:28 AM   #37
Donatello19
Merchandise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Honestly, yeah it's awkward buy a girl figure as a boy. I've never done it as a kid, and i still feel weird now as an adult. Sure I'll buy a Shredder figure just fine, not caring what people might think, but an April figure? Awkward.
...seriously? If you're already buying children's toys as an adult, it shouldn't matter at this point.
Donatello19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 12:36 PM   #38
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
That's what I want in every situation. But I also want to know how this data was gathered.

Last edited by Ninjinister; 10-22-2017 at 02:02 PM.
Ninjinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 03:48 PM   #39
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Some figure lines have indeed been marketed to girls and have failed, most recently the action figures of DC Superhero girls, not the doll ones, the actual action figures.
Didn't know DC Superhero Girls action figures was failing, I've read only praise about them.

I guess that's bad news for Playmates new Mysticons line, which seems to emulate DCSG only high-fantasy instead of superheroes
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 03:53 PM   #40
sdp
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Believe me...Companies know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
That's what I want in every situation. But I also want to know how this data was gathered.
It's not like it's just a random personal opinion full of feelings but an educated observation, obviously I'd need to work for a specific toy company to know the exact problems.

However, I've seen numbers from supermarkets plenty of times to know how products work/sell, I don't have them with me and if I did I wouldn't be leak them on the internet to have e-cred on a small forum. I've worked in logistics/supply chain management, made sales and econometric models and pretty much have to analyze data every day and look at trends, not to mention I get to talk to people from different companies/industries and find out about them. If you think your gut feeling has a better idea of what would sell then by all means believe it.

Information is gathered through various means, it depends on the industry, if you're really interested any entry level job in most companies will give you the chance to find out how the majority of the operations work. Faulty decisions are made all the time but any multinational company gathers as much data as possible before making decisions. Sales/demographics/surveys/past figures/models are the most obvious ones but you'll see some weird ones as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatello19 View Post
...seriously? If you're already buying children's toys as an adult, it shouldn't matter at this point.
It's not like people will know if you're a nerd who collects figures or just buying a gift for someone, well I guess if you come in with your cartoon/gaming t-shirts they'll know but in that case you're already comfortable with people knowing you're a dork

Quote:
Didn't know DC Superhero Girls action figures was failing, I've read only praise about them.

I guess that's bad news for Playmates new Mysticons line, which seems to emulate DCSG only high-fantasy instead of superheroes
I don't follow the toy industry but I just know of one major store that wasn't going to order more and haven't seen them around elsewhere which is not good news.

Did mattel show off new waves at toyfair this past february? That would be a good indicator of how well its doing, I know at the licensing show DC is pushing the brand so at least the dolls or merchandise is selling fine. If another company is copying an idea that normally indicates it is a good one unless they're just late to the party which in Playmates case it might be

Last edited by sdp; 10-22-2017 at 04:03 PM.