Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 01-24-2010, 02:19 PM   #241
TristanHuwJones
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpengler View Post
Good to hear!

(Both that you didn't commit seppuku and that Dan dug the timeline.)
There was a plan at one point to do everything in chronological order. But then the sale happened
Old 01-24-2010, 04:01 PM   #242
discordiatookie
facehugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristanHuwJones View Post
There was a plan at one point to do everything in chronological order. But then the sale happened
Its Tristan Huw Jones! Yay! Was wondering where you were...

So would this have been released as TPBs?

That woulda been alot of stuff to release, and I can imagine there would've been many arguments with Laird by many folks that some stories were missed out. Ah the crazy times!

You actually trying to read this tiny text? Damn, you're dedicated! This is all just for effect you know...

original TMNT art collection
discordiatookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 04:10 PM   #243
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristanHuwJones View Post
That would've been tighter than Urkel's pants, definately.

Though, if there's any bright side, it's that a few discrepencies in the timeline have been fixed since the Viacom buy-out, which otherwise would've found there way into the Mirage Universe Sourcebook and thus that reference material would've been written with a flawed timeline. And that wouldn't have been good.

But damn, I was psyched for that print credit I was gonna get.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 06:36 PM   #244
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I still don't understand why they couldn't have done the Mirage sourcebook as a "mini-series" of 32-page books.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 07:25 PM   #245
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I still don't understand why they couldn't have done the Mirage sourcebook as a "mini-series" of 32-page books.
That's...a good observation.

They probably could've done something like the old Archie Mutant Universe Sourcebooks, unless there was some clause in their Viacom contract requiring them to only print narratives and not sourcebooks.

Hurm. I wonder how much of that thing was finished, anyway? It was supposed to come out December 14th, so I imagine just about all of it had to be finished and ready to go right before the buy-out killed it.

Such a shame. Maybe they'll just hand whatever they've completed over to whatever company Viacom licenses the comic out to and we'll see it printed there, some day.

Last edited by DrSpengler; 01-24-2010 at 09:07 PM.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:30 PM   #246
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
If it ain't mind-boggling, it ain't Mirage?

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 08:49 PM   #247
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpengler View Post
unless there was some clause in their Viacom contract requiring them to only print narratives and not sourcebooks.
I think you're close with that... I know panel to panel was planning some sort of prose story by Jake Black (think it was him), and that was cancelled because it wasn't a regular ole' comic book.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 12:04 PM   #248
pm5kfan212
Thug

does anybody know where the Flaming Carrot crossovers fit in? I've seen on a few other sites that they are both considered cannon, just not where they fit in.
pm5kfan212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 01:41 PM   #249
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm5kfan212 View Post
does anybody know where the Flaming Carrot crossovers fit in? I've seen on a few other sites that they are both considered cannon, just not where they fit in.
I'd have to re-read both crossovers to be certain, but The Flaming Carrot Universe in and of itself seems way to wacky to coexist with the TMNT Universe and I recall at least the first Flaming Carront/TMNT crossover getting pretty insanely silly.

Do you have links to the sites claiming them as part of mainstream Mirage continuity? It might help me out a bit. I'll go through them, though, and see if they're as contradictory in tone as I remember them being.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:46 PM   #250
pm5kfan212
Thug

here are the links to some of the sites i saw in regards to the crossovers, i may be reading more into them than necessary though.

http://tmnt.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_TMNT_Mirage_Comics

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intercompany_crossovers

both say they are official crossovers, which would lead me to believe they are canon in some way or another. although i am just now getting into the TMNT comics and so far the continuity seems more complicated than all of Marvel putt together.( I am an avid Marvel reader/fan)
Old 02-01-2010, 03:49 PM   #251
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

Well, "official" is not always a synonymn for "canon".

"Space Out" and "Souls Winter" were official Mirage publications, but they are not canon with the Mirage series.

"The TMNT meet the Blazing Tales Varmints" was an official crossovers, but again, not canon with the Mirage series.

When I get home from work I'll give the Flaming Carrot books a look through, but if my memory serves me correctly, they're likely not canon (though they certainly are official).
Old 02-01-2010, 10:37 PM   #252
pm5kfan212
Thug

"The Blazing Tales Varmints"? what? Ive never heard of this.Yeah I know official doesn't necessarly mean it's cannon, but I'm new to the TMNT comics so I figured I'd ask to check.

Thanks for your help!
Old 02-02-2010, 06:50 PM   #253
ToTheNines
[sic]

Ya know how were talking about "Masks" in the other thread? Well as much as I like it, it may not be canon... Although I've never read "Spinal Tapped", "Masks" simply just doesn't fit will being right before "Change of Power". Considering Hattori had totally changed his sh*t between the two.

Then again, there could have been several months between the two stories (I think).
Old 02-02-2010, 10:04 PM   #254
CyberCubed
Overlord

I think Jim Lawson's "Spinal Tapped" is the non-canon issue. Or it was probably intended to be canon, but the guy completely forgot Savanti returns the way he did and made a massive plothole.

I cannot see why "Masks" should be removed from canon. It happened in the late Vol. 1 era right as the book was being done by in-house Mirage artists again. And Raph starting the Foot Clan the way he did was never contradicted by another issue.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 08:19 AM   #255
ToTheNines
[sic]

Like I said earlier, I just nit-pick this list since it's pretty much perfect by now.

But my main logic here is how Hattori was a long haired stud of all trades in Tales 22, but he was pretty much him same old self in "Masks".
Old 02-03-2010, 08:52 AM   #256
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

I just see it as being one of those irreconcilable continuity glitches that probably requires a "No-Prize" to explain away.

"Masks" was written in the era Laird assures us is canon, but its contradicted by "Spinal Tapped", which was also written to be canon.

Plus, "Masks" was still referenced with an editor's note and everything in "Change of Power", so its events haven't been erased any time recently. (as for "Masks" and "Change of Power" being so close together, well, that was sort of an unfortunate outcome of when both stories are specifically placed right before the beginning of "City at War")

The best "No-Prize" I can think to rectify the two stories is that when Savanti got zapped at the end of "Spinal Tapped", it sent him backward in his own personal timeline (it was the time sceptor, after all) to him being buried in the bone pit, hence why he had no memory of the events of "Spinal Tapped" when he was exhumed in "Masks".

Fanfiction, yeah, but it gets me through the night.
Old 02-03-2010, 04:43 PM   #257
CyberCubed
Overlord

Since I don't want to make a new thread, was "Masks" the last time we see Savanti Romero until Tales #32 with the Cowboys of Moo Mesa?

Savanti's in #8, Tales (original) #7, Spinal Tapped, #42, #46 and 47, and Tales #32....is that all of his appearances?

I honestly can't recall if they wrapped up his character or not. I know Renet became all-powerful in #42 and in Volume 4....but I can't recall about Savanti.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 08:40 PM   #258
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Since I don't want to make a new thread, was "Masks" the last time we see Savanti Romero until Tales #32 with the Cowboys of Moo Mesa?

Savanti's in #8, Tales (original) #7, Spinal Tapped, #42, #46 and 47, and Tales #32....is that all of his appearances?

I honestly can't recall if they wrapped up his character or not. I know Renet became all-powerful in #42 and in Volume 4....but I can't recall about Savanti.
Technically, it was Savanti Juliet who appeared in TMNT (Vol. 1) #42, but yeah, I think that's all his appearances.

Tales (Vol. 2) #32 more or less wrapped up his character, having him trapped forever inside the Eye of Aga-moo-tou. Granted, it was one of those villain ends that didn't so much "kill" him as it did put him in a convenient state of imprisonment on the off chance a writer might want to use him again in the future (no one did), but still.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:54 PM   #259
ToTheNines
[sic]

I got another. Junkman should be moved, since the turtles are living in the sewer.

Also, why is "North by Downeast" in red? I know it's kinda bizzare, and drawn by Veitch, but it was written by Eastman.
Old 02-05-2010, 04:19 PM   #260
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
I got another. Junkman should be moved, since the turtles are living in the sewer.
Moved "Junk Man" back to the "Early Years" era, unless there's something in that story that establishes it as taking place after TMNT #1.

Quote:
Also, why is "North by Downeast" in red? I know it's kinda bizzare, and drawn by Veitch, but it was written by Eastman.
My bad. Thought it was written by Veitch. De-reded.

Tags
comics, timeline, tmnt entity