The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 11-06-2007, 01:15 PM   #1
AquaParade
Banned

The Umbrella Academy

I was wondering if anyone has picked this up yet. It's a comic written by Gerard Way, who actually happens to be the singer of My Chemical Romance. Now, I know what you're probably thinking...a stupid little gimmick by Gerard Way, but I have to say I actually have high hopes for this. Hate MCR all you want, but before they sold their souls to the media, they were actually a pretty respectable band, and Gerard Way knows how to write, if his lyrics are any indication. So if anyone has read this yet, what do you think?
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 10:21 AM   #2
AquaParade
Banned

...really? bummer.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:22 PM   #3
Swany
Stone Warrior

My college friend is really excited about this. If I get a chance I'll probably pick up a copy too. I've not liked all the songs from "The Black Parade" that I've heard so far but "3 cheers for sweet romance" was the first album I bought and listened to all the way through that I liked. So I will probably buy it if I have the cash.
Old 11-22-2007, 01:05 AM   #4
AquaParade
Banned

Ya, I didnt get too much out of the Black Parade either, but Their first 2 albums are absolutely great. It's a shame what the media has done to them. Anyways I remember reading in an interview a long time ago that Gerard is way into comics, so its nice to know its coming from his heart and not his bank account.
Old 02-18-2019, 12:29 PM   #5
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Reread everything last night after finishing the show.

Didn't enjoy it as much as I did previously... there's a lot of Grant Morrison style batcrap crazy that detracts for me.

I really like seeing Vanya split the conductor in half, though. Oh, and I loved Five eating the goldfish.

But Hotel Oblivion... that $hit I can't make sense of. AT ALL.
Old 02-18-2019, 12:31 PM   #6
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Oh, does anyone else feel like that if Cha Cha and Hazel were to take off their masks, we'd see Samuel L Jackson and John Travolta underneath? Y'know, from Pulp Fiction?

Maybe it's just me, but that's how I've always read it. Even rereading it after watching the Netflix show, I hear Samuel L Jackson and John Travolta.

Canned apples... I use canned apples...
Old 02-18-2019, 12:35 PM   #7
AquaParade
Banned

I want to talk Umbrella Academy, but I can't stop cringing at my old posts.

MEDIA. They sold their souls to the MEDIA.

Last edited by AquaParade; 02-18-2019 at 12:45 PM.
Old 02-18-2019, 12:38 PM   #8
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
I want to talk Umbrella Academy, but I can't stop cringing at my old posts.

MEDIA.
Ignore it. Talk Umbrella Academy!!!

"Mister President, I heard a rumor..." I'd love to see that moment adapted in Season 2 or 3.
Old 02-18-2019, 12:44 PM   #9
AquaParade
Banned

I'm only two episodes into the UA Netflix show. I don't know what to think.
I only watch, like, two television shows, because I have a weird, suspension-of-disbelief issue, when it comes to television shows. I have trouble buying into the world, and believing in it. It's my own problem.

Although,being such a big fan of Gerard, i can't help but get a kick out of it. Just seeing this comic brought to life, even in an odd way, is delightful. I'll be back after I've seen a few more episodes.
Old 03-04-2019, 01:16 PM   #10
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Just read over the 6 issue mini, "The Apocalypse Suite," which the first season on Netflix semi-adapts.

Wow... holy cow! I seriously can't believe they distilled this comic into the TV show we got. It's not even remotely like it, at all. It'd be like adapting "Rise of the TMNT" into the 1990 movie.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 01:22 PM   #11
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Just read over the 6 issue mini, "The Apocalypse Suite," which the first season on Netflix semi-adapts.

Wow... holy cow! I seriously can't believe they distilled this comic into the TV show we got. It's not even remotely like it, at all. It'd be like adapting "Rise of the TMNT" into the 1990 movie.
Yeah, it's hugely different. Hugely.

Check out the next 6-issue mini, "Dallas."
Old 03-04-2019, 02:49 PM   #12
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Check out the next 6-issue mini, "Dallas."
Just did, and most of "Hotel Oblivion."

I can definitely see elements they cherry-picked from Dallas into things as well. And that's... a very, very different Cha Cha and Hazel. They're not even sort of the same. They're not even the same concept.

But man, skimming over all of this... yeesh, they kind of have to just make season 2 of the TV show up from scratch, right? None of this stuff in Dallas and Hotel Oblivion is remotely filmable... nor should it be.
Old 03-04-2019, 03:10 PM   #13
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Just did, and most of "Hotel Oblivion."

I can definitely see elements they cherry-picked from Dallas into things as well. And that's... a very, very different Cha Cha and Hazel. They're not even sort of the same. They're not even the same concept.

But man, skimming over all of this... yeesh, they kind of have to just make season 2 of the TV show up from scratch, right? None of this stuff in Dallas and Hotel Oblivion is remotely filmable... nor should it be.
I tried reading Hotel Oblivion, but I cannot make heads or tails of it. Ugh. Which is a shame, I deeply love the first two story arcs.

I'll give Hotel Oblivion a second try once it's complete...

And yeah, Hazel and Cha-Cha are completely different. Like, the only thing similar is the masks. And even Hazel's mask is slightly different.

This is one of those rare things where the source material and the adaptation are 0% alike, but I love them both.
Old 03-04-2019, 03:29 PM   #14
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
the only thing similar is the masks. And even Hazel's mask is slightly different.
And they're (clearly) not bulletproof in the comics.
Old 03-04-2019, 07:02 PM   #15
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
And they're (clearly) not bulletproof in the comics.
I picture Samuel L Jackson and John Travolta under the masks. Pulp Fiction on a sugar rush.

Maybe that's just me.
Old 03-04-2019, 09:24 PM   #16
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
I picture Samuel L Jackson and John Travolta under the masks. Pulp Fiction on a sugar rush.

Maybe that's just me.
Probably something akin to that. I'm reading these comics and it's clear the guy is a huge Grant Morrison fan (I am, too)... but it's a lot of just throwing stuff out there going for that "vibe" with no pathos.
Old 03-04-2019, 09:32 PM   #17
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Probably something akin to that. I'm reading these comics and it's clear the guy is a huge Grant Morrison fan (I am, too)... but it's a lot of just throwing stuff out there going for that "vibe" with no pathos.
Yeah. There was enough good stuff in the first two volumes to outweigh the "throw all the comic weirdness spaghetti at the wall and see what sticks", but Hotel Oblivion is just Grant Morrison on bath salts.
Old 03-04-2019, 10:15 PM   #18
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Yeah. There was enough good stuff in the first two volumes to outweigh the "throw all the comic weirdness spaghetti at the wall and see what sticks", but Hotel Oblivion is just Grant Morrison on bath salts.
From what I've gathered on a cursory read in terms of these comics behind the scenes... dude did them as a fun side thing, then walked away, then came back a decade later when TPTB were sniffing around for a TV show. Like, "Oh oh, wait, I've got something else!"
Old 03-05-2019, 08:46 AM   #19
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
From what I've gathered on a cursory read in terms of these comics behind the scenes... dude did them as a fun side thing, then walked away, then came back a decade later when TPTB were sniffing around for a TV show. Like, "Oh oh, wait, I've got something else!"
Yeah, that's my take on the situation, too. Surprising no one.
Old 04-08-2019, 06:28 PM   #20
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Okay I just read all of Hotel Oblivion that's out so far and... yeah, it's still pretty confusing. They just keep biting off more to chew instead of swallowing anything; posing more questions and answering next to none. I'm enjoying it mildly, but I need some answers in the final issue. This is definitely the weakest volume of the series so far.

I am highly intrigued as to Ben's ghost though, and what the deal with that is. Did Gerard plant that idea in the showrunners' heads, to foreshadow what would happen in the comics? Or did they come up with the idea on their own and then he decided to use it in the comics?

Also... are we going to meet some of the children who Hargreeves didn't find and adopt?? It certainly seems that way to me!
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote