The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Should IDW Meet Mirage?
Yes 17 45.95%
No 16 43.24%
Other/Not Sure (Explain below) 4 10.81%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-25-2017, 06:09 PM   #1
Powder
So tired of this place

Should IDW Meet Mirage?

Simple & plain, would you want there to be a Mirage/IDW TMNT crossover?

If so:
-How would you like to see it done?
-Which creative talents would you want on board?
-Where/how could this fit into the Mirage timeline?

If not:
-Why?
-Would any certain circumstance change your mind?

My guess is IDW wouldn't wanna do this given the risk it might hurt their relationship with Peter (assuming he wouldn't wanna be involved in any capacity). However, Kevin's direct involvement may be all the incentive they need to think it could be done respectfully & awesomely. Dunno!

What say the drome?

I haven't figured out my stance on this yet, so I'll give my 2 cents later.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 07:29 PM   #2
Cryomancer
Mad Scientist

If they used it as a way to continue Leonardo's Vol 4 Battle Nexus stuff I'd probably be down, I suppose.

Final Boss of translation group Opentrain.
We do videogame comics and TMNT stuff.
http://opentrain.theyear199x.org/
Cryomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 07:32 PM   #3
CyberCubed
Overlord

Eventually sure, it'd not be much different than the 2k3 series doing Turtles Forever or the Nick cartoon doing their crossover...both featured the Mirage Turtles albeit "Prime" versions.

For this, I imagine Jim Lawson doing the art for the Mirage Turtles would be a no-brainer and having them interact with the IDW Turtles drawn by any of IDW's current artists.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 09:42 PM   #4
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Normally I despise all things crossover, but I see two plots working well and not just being "because we can" fanwank.

#1. A sequel to "Bebop and Rocksteady Destroy Everything", wherein Renet needs both the Mirage Turtles and the IDW Turtles to stop Savanti Romero. That'd be dope.

#2. This one didn't occur to me until Cryomancer said something, but the Mirage Battle Nexus could handle the story needs very easily... and I've been dying to see the 4Kids "Battle Nexus" arc adapted into an IDW storyline. (And no, I don't count the 2014 Annual because it bored me to tears and didn't have any effect on the ongoing title.)
Old 06-25-2017, 09:49 PM   #5
CyberCubed
Overlord

Also Jim Lawson has already worked for IDW, he wrote and did the art for that Shadow story in the 30th anniversary issue, and he also drew new covers for the Mirage/Tales trades that IDW puts out.

I know some would prefer Eastman do the art, but after two annuals I'm not too fond of Eastman's art outside of the covers he does for IDW. Jim Lawson's Turtles are also what people tend to associate Mirage with the most after Eastman/Laird too.
Old 06-26-2017, 02:42 AM   #6
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

The multiverse have been established, so it's bound to happen. And I think it would be interesting to see IDW Turtles that are younger and less experienced meeting older versions of themselves, although I doubt that's the direction the future crossover will deal with.

It would be interesting if the IDW Turtles never meet the Mirage Turtles but only hears stories about them through other characters that have met them, making them seen more weird and near myth-like.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 03:27 AM   #7
Nortock Diab
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
It would be interesting if the IDW Turtles never meet the Mirage Turtles but only hears stories about them through other characters that have met them, making them seen more weird and near myth-like.
I like this approach.
If the Mirage turtles are included in an IDW crossover, they probably will not be Mirage enough.
B&W turtles with red bandanas is anything but Mirage...
Nortock Diab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 03:37 AM   #8
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Maybe also Archie?
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 05:02 AM   #9
mrmaczaps
Banned

What if IDW picks up that loose thread of Leo in the Battle Nexus as others have said and we see some shots from issue 26 & 27 but from IDW Splinters POV to start. Then just do the comic/mini series in half color/half black and white. The Mirage stuff drawn by Lawson & inked by Lavigne. Get Duncan back for IDW. Or alternate issues of a mini. Issues one and two are "solo" Mirage & IDW, issues 3 & 4 start mixing them and then issues 5 & 6 are full on mergers.

Then a second series with the animated IDW Turtles meeting the Archie Turtles... six issue mini series... then a giant pair of double sized issues where all four teams meet and each character has a special team up... four Leos, four Raphs, four Dons and 4 Mikey eating pizzas...
mrmaczaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 07:17 AM   #10
Chris
Mad Scientist

Going with "Not Sure" as I'm edging towards no but IF they did it then I believe they would do it well and want to honour the Mirage TMNT and I would certainly pick it up and I'm sure I'd enjoy it so I don't want to vote "No".

Personally though I'd rather they leave Mirage as it's own thing. It's not because I don't want Mirage in IDW but more I'd rather not have IDW (or any other incarnation) in Mirage*. I prefer Mirage to stand alone and be its own thing. The only things I'd like to see at this point really are the end of Volume 4 and the conclusion of a few open plot lines from Tales Volume 2 but I've made peace with the fact that this likely won't happen.

*Hypocritically I love Turtles Forever and think it's a brilliant end point for the entire Mirage Studios era. But it was done under Peter Laird and doesn't really affect the narrative of the Mirage universe, heck you have to assume time repaired itself afterwards and events happened as normal or else it would affect everything that came after so it happened but didn't happen I guess. I think if Peter were involved and worked on it with Kevin, Bobby and Tom then I would be much more open to the idea.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 07:33 AM   #11
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I only vote "no" because I see nothing of value coming of the exchange beyond the Mirage TMNT giving the IDW TMNT "props" to elevate them, or Mirage TMNT "jobbing" to IDW in some way that only serves to validate the cowabungas and Krangs and Beebops and pizza that Nickelodeon wants to push on everyone (I do realize that Nick isn't pushing that hard on IDW... but then again, I guess they didn't really need to? they kinda did that all on their own). But it is entirely possible I could be swayed by a super compelling Grant Morrison-level storyline that works the Mirage TMNT into a thing that embraces their differences in a thing that doesn't end with high fives?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 08:35 AM   #12
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

I'm going to say no, because I really Don't see a point. This is the kind of thing where the story would be driven by the event, with no clear story to be told by bringing the groups together. The two teams are very, very different, but not different in a way that would make good character interaction. It would probably feel like the 4kids turtles meeting mirage did;

"What's with the different colored masks?"

"Sellouts!"

Unless you have an epic masterpiece of a tale in mind, there is no story to tell here that Isn't forced.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 08:38 AM   #13
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda_Kahn_fan View Post
I'm going to say no, because I really Don't see a point. This is the kind of thing where the story would be driven by the event, with no clear story to be told by bringing the groups together. The two teams are very, very different, but not different in a way that would make good character interaction. It would probably feel like the 4kids turtles meeting mirage did;

"What's with the different colored masks?"

"Sellouts!"

Unless you have an epic masterpiece of a tale in mind, there is no story to tell here that Isn't forced.
I think a follow-up Savanti Romero story wouldn't be forced and wouldn't work nearly as well without a Mirage crossover...
Old 06-26-2017, 08:45 AM   #14
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
I think a follow-up Savanti Romero story wouldn't be forced and wouldn't work nearly as well without a Mirage crossover...

I guess so, if the writers want to go that route. I just don't see the point of the team up, (unlike the usagi crossover, which I can't wait for). But I guess a battle nexus or savants story miniseries or one-shot would work.

Though Bobby did indicate in the q &a thread that he really had no interest in those kind of 'character meets another version of character' crossovers. So such a story might be awhile in coming.

Last edited by Panda_Kahn_fan; 06-26-2017 at 09:22 AM.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 09:26 AM   #15
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I think the Battle Nexus needs to be covered thanks to the tease we received. During the arc it could be referenced to others very much like them having been in the void before and leave it at that.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:57 AM   #16
***First of Two Latin Kings***
Will not be censored

I'd be more interested in seeing IDW's interpretation of the Forever War.
I can hear it now: "I'm sorry little April, I told you that if you didn't take good care of them I'd be taking them away. Now they are going to the lab to be abused for experimentation" (You could almost rewrite this as April caused the fire to get back at her father over it...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanadiandrome View Post
Powder I'd not defend him, that's just how he gets

International shipping assistance: DARTHCJJ@GMAIL.COM
***First of Two Latin Kings*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 11:47 AM   #17
CyberCubed
Overlord

I think this is pretty much inevitable to happen eventually. The reason it didn't happen so far is IDW was still early on and needed to establish itself as a successful series and it's own thing before crossovers happen. Now that IDW has been going on for years and will be closing in on issue #100 soon, it's pretty obvious they can do a crossover now that it's a proven quantity.

I imagine a crossover would happen in a 5-part mini outside the main ongoing. As I said, get Jim Lawson to draw the Mirage Turtles and have the IDW Turtles drawn by any of the current artists, so you'd see old meets new on the same panel with different artists.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:57 AM   #18
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***First of Two Latin Kings*** View Post
I'd be more interested in seeing IDW's interpretation of the Forever War.
What does that even mean? Nobody knows what "The Forever War" is about. Not even Steve Murphy anymore, apparently.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 11:21 AM   #19
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
What does that even mean? Nobody knows what "The Forever War" is about. Not even Steve Murphy anymore, apparently.
Wait, wait, wait... What? That's weird, did he just pitch a title without ever thinking about the story? Was he just planning on writing it on the fly or did he just have a vague idea he forgot about?

Either way, why would anyone want to read it then? Yeah, continuation, I get that, but in this case it might as well be anything and not Forever War in particular.

Hey, ***First of Two Latin Kings***, is that what you meant? IDW publishing a continuation/conclusion? Because they can't remake a storyline that didn't see the light of day in the first place.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 11:23 AM   #20
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

I'm always up for a field trip to Turtle Prime.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cylonsklingonscucksohmy