The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Fan Creations > Fan Works Discussion

Notices

Old 07-09-2009, 08:45 PM   #1
Machias Banshee
Super Moderator

Geocities shutdown means a Lot of lost TMNT Fansites...

I happened to check my yahoo email today, and got this message concerning my old fansite:

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Geocities"
Dear Yahoo! GeoCities customer,

We're writing to let you know that Yahoo! GeoCities, our free web site building service and community, is closing on October 26, 2009.

On October 26, 2009, your GeoCities site will no longer appear on the Web, and you will no longer be able to access your GeoCities account and files.

What You Need to Do
If you'd like to move your web site, or save the images and other files you've posted online, you need to act now by choosing one of the following options:
...And it continues on with either paying for monthly subscriptions, or download your stuff before it's gone.

I hate to see this happen, but it was inevitable.

It was visiting tons of Geocities webpages that got me into the online fandom in the first place. While most people have their own sites or are using hosting websites like fanfiction.net and deviantArt, there's a lot of the older fans who've kept their Geocities pages up since as long as I can remember. I always visited Kali's site, Ria-Angelo, Azure, and countless others.. The 'ring of green' from years ago may cease to exist all together..

If you know someone who's got a Geocities site, please inform them about this. It'd be a crime to lose so much effort...
Machias Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:11 PM   #2
Slap-Happy
Bad Boy

Thought I do not have a Geocities site, this sucks.
Slap-Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:38 PM   #3
Ninjinister
無問題

I read about this at work about a month ago. I still use my many Geocities accounts for various things. Looks like I've got to migrate some stuff.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:26 PM   #4
Archon_Turtle
I'm SUPER into myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machias Banshee View Post
I happened to check my yahoo email today, and got this message concerning my old fansite:

...And it continues on with either paying for monthly subscriptions, or download your stuff before it's gone.

I hate to see this happen, but it was inevitable.

It was visiting tons of Geocities webpages that got me into the online fandom in the first place. While most people have their own sites or are using hosting websites like fanfiction.net and deviantArt, there's a lot of the older fans who've kept their Geocities pages up since as long as I can remember. I always visited Kali's site, Ria-Angelo, Azure, and countless others.. The 'ring of green' from years ago may cease to exist all together..

If you know someone who's got a Geocities site, please inform them about this. It'd be a crime to lose so much effort...
Isn't there somewhere else you should also post this? *ahem*
Archon_Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 02:21 AM   #5
Krang
Admin and Sega Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machias Banshee View Post
Yeah, it's a real shame that they are closing it down. Like you, I remember visiting a lot of different TMNT fan sites on the ROG and other places, and many of them were (and still are) on Geocities. Actually, my first ever web page that I started in October of 1998 (even before The Technodrome) was hosted there, too.

If it helps any, I still have plenty of space left on my server, so I would be glad to offer free hosting to any TMNT sites that would be lost otherwise. If anyone is interested, please email or PM me.

"My motherboard's microchips are chomping at the... 'bit'. A little computer humor." --Krang, Welcome Back, Polarisoids
Krang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 03:32 AM   #6
Ninjinister
無問題

Speaking of fansites... anybody remember FOGU? I think that was the first fansite I ever came across....
Old 07-10-2009, 08:18 AM   #7
Patraw
Stone Warrior

Yeah, it's unfortunate--I've had a Geocities site since 2000 myself. Fortunately, I have other web space accounts that I can put my stuff on, but, still, it's a pain to move/rearrange things.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:19 AM   #8
Roseangelo
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ninjinister View Post
Speaking of fansites... anybody remember FOGU? I think that was the first fansite I ever came across....
Yes, of course! I remain the Queen's #2 FOGUite (she is #1)!

FOGU.com is still around, despite the abandonment the TMNT part of it - if you go to FOGU.com/hm you'll find a HUGE and up-to-date site about Harvest Moon. I believe it's one of, if not the, largest Harvest Moon English-language fansite there is.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 02:22 PM   #9
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

This really sucks. Half of what I learned about comics (particularly TMNT and X-Men, especially) came from GeoCities fansites. Without them, I probably wouldn't even be reading comics...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 03:10 PM   #10
Kendamu
Sewerhead

My old Geocities site is not TMNT related, but thanks for the heads-up.
Kendamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 08:21 PM   #11
GK Punk
I'm your Devil

I must have owned like 7 GeoCities sites back in the 90s. Kinda sad to see it going.
GK Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 10:52 PM   #12
Zachatello00
Ninja Comedian

wow, I hadn't even seen that. Ya know, it was because of some random dromer (tmntpizzapowers) that happened across my geocities site and posted the link for the Technodrome on my guestbook. I wouldn't have even found this place without it...

Farewell first ever websites...

http://www.geocities.com/zachatello
http://www.geocities.com/zachatello00
Old 07-11-2009, 06:07 AM   #13
Machias Banshee
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Turtle View Post
Isn't there somewhere else you should also post this? *ahem*
Doing it as we speak...

There's so many websites that I've been to by just casual fans. Nothing glorious, just a personal display to share with the world. Even the Internet isn't immune to the economy, I guess...
Old 07-11-2009, 10:41 AM   #14
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quick! Someone save TMNT Dissected!

http://www.geocities.com/tmntdissected/contents.htm

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 07:26 PM   #15
Machias Banshee
Super Moderator

Well, like I said... if you know somebody with a great Geocities site, make sure they know about this so they can save their stuff...
Old 07-11-2009, 08:36 PM   #16
Ra
It's my desire?

Man, this bites. The Ring of Green sort of gave me a leg up into the TMNT world. I loved roaming around and lurking on all of the pages. I may not visit the sites any more, but I hope they can be saved... It would bite to see all of the lovely art and fan ficition vanish.

"So. The whole lot of you against little old me? How retarded."
Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 05:11 PM   #17
Jephael
That whack job behind you

This is the same thing that happened to AOL Hometown member last fall, hence why I no longer have Jephael's Radical TMNT Site. It's the end of an era, people.

www.jephael.com
Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 01:09 PM   #18
Whitewolf89
Freedom Fighter and Ninja

Location: Currently residing in the Turtles' Lair, NYC sewer system, NYC, NY
This bites! Some of my fave TMNT sites are on Geocities (as well as some of my fave Biker Mice and SWAT Kats ones!)! WHY is Yahoo shutting Geocities DOWN, anyway?! THAT was one of their most popular properties!

(And this is ACTUALLY just ONE of the reasons that I've been calling them "Ya-HELL" over the past few years. Idiots.............)

Anyway, I hope all of you with sites (TMNT, or otherwise) find NEW hosts elsewhere. Good luck, and good hunting.

On the subject of free web-hosts, though, try Webs.com (formerly FREEWebs.com). Our own Buslady has HER site there, and I got one for MY stuff (even if it's still just in the experimental stage).
Old 07-30-2009, 02:05 PM   #19
Roland
is Laughing

O man looks like i will have to change my signature again the james bond jr link is a geocities site so check it out if you like that cartoon. Is there a geocities site for rambo force of freedom or ghorstbusters or other cartoon?
Old 07-30-2009, 02:24 PM   #20
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

My original TMNT site, "The TMNT Newsletter" which became "The Ninja Turtles Empire" was originally a Geocities site. I left it almost immediately thereafter when Fortunecity offered more space and no popups (though, over time that changed).

I'm a little curious, though. If Geocities is going to make people pay to use them for websites... why wouldn't the person just go and pay for a real website, with their own domain name and all that? Those are getting cheaper and cheaper to throw up via various companies.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote