The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 04-07-2019, 01:33 PM   #41
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

This whole thread is sad. We should be discussing Star Trek.
Old 04-07-2019, 01:40 PM   #42
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

When the "Star Trek" that would be discussed would be Discovery....that may not be so great.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 01:48 PM   #43
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
When the "Star Trek" that would be discussed would be Discovery....that may not be so great.
A scintillating point!

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier
then?
Old 04-07-2019, 02:11 PM   #44
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Woulda been better if Kirk had fought rock monsters like The Shat intended...

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 02:12 PM   #45
sdp
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
First of all, awesome engine, awesome open world, awesome assortment of weapons and armor and clothing. Very immersive. But I don't think it was a very good Zelda game.

Gone is any trace of the kind of Zelda music we expect (I get that they were going for atmospheric and "lonely" but they still could have reserved actual Zelda music for certain areas and dungeons or even the goddamn end credits, for pete's sake), nothing about the Triforce at all, and there's only 4 dungeons in the game (I don't count the shrines) and they're all pretty quick. Gone is the locked doors, big chests, big key, etc.. Like, imagine "A Link to the Past" but with the "Breath of the Wind" engine and open world aspect... it'd easily be a superior game and it would actually feel like Zelda.
These are my thoughts as well, BOTW is missing some clear Zelda elements that bring the magic to it. Granted I only played for about 2 hours and I think I never finished the "tutorial" area from what someone told me. I am going to give BOTW another chance soon enough though but I do hope other Zelda games do keep many Zelda traditions, but tiny stuff like the music when opening the chest really make the difference.

I actually thought I had just outgrown Zelda since I hadn't been able to get excited for a Zelda game in a decade but Hyrule Warriors reminded me why I still liked the games, it's not just the gameplay but the magic of the universe that it has. BOTW might have revitalized the gameplay which was needed but not everything needed to go.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 02:46 PM   #46
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

At some point, I do want to get my own Switch and not have to borrow it from a friend to play my game.

It's one I really enjoy a lot...especially with the element of just getting to waste time looking for Koroks in increasingly bizarre places.
Old 04-07-2019, 09:48 PM   #47
raph27
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
These are my thoughts as well, BOTW is missing some clear Zelda elements that bring the magic to it. Granted I only played for about 2 hours and I think I never finished the "tutorial" area from what someone told me. I am going to give BOTW another chance soon enough though but I do hope other Zelda games do keep many Zelda traditions, but tiny stuff like the music when opening the chest really make the difference.

I actually thought I had just outgrown Zelda since I hadn't been able to get excited for a Zelda game in a decade but Hyrule Warriors reminded me why I still liked the games, it's not just the gameplay but the magic of the universe that it has. BOTW might have revitalized the gameplay which was needed but not everything needed to go.
Oh yeah, you need to give it another go. After you leave the Great Plateau the game really begins. Not saying those criticisms aren't valid, but it has so much more to show you.
raph27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 02:18 AM   #48
Voltron
Handsomest Boy in School

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
It's sad you couldn't tell he was being sarcastic.
Sarcastic? ME? Never. . .

As far as Zelda games go, my honest opinion: fantastic games. Hooked since the first one back on the NES, and have happily played any I could get my hands on.

Unfortunately, as adult life throws responsibility in my way, I'm not able to shell out the cash or find the time to sit down to play the newer ones. You guys are kind of killing me with the BOTW talk, since I'm dying to give it a whirl.

I think the last one I played to completion was Phantom Hour Glass. I'd like to give the handhelds a go. I heard something about Link's Awakening getting remade, and I'm hoping to get my hands on that if I get the chance.

What do you guys think is the best entry in the series from the past decade? I haven't really been in the mix, and I'd love to hear some recommendations and perspectives from hardcore vets. And by hardcore vets, I'm looking at Cure.
Old 04-08-2019, 09:28 AM   #49
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

At first I hated "Wind Waker," but eventually I saw past the "kiddy" cel-shaded look and had a hell of a time. I lament never beating it. Hopefully they do Switch versions of that, and also Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess.

Playing a lot of Mario Party with buddies and my daughter on Switch. It's a hoot.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 10:21 AM   #50
Barkworm
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltron View Post
Unfortunately, as adult life throws responsibility in my way, I'm not able to shell out the cash or find the time to sit down to play the newer ones.
This. As responsibilities kept growing, gaming was the hobby I abandoned completely. Though I have to admit that I rarely see anything anymore that I'm even remotely interested in as far as new games are concerned.
Barkworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 10:32 AM   #51
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltron View Post

What do you guys think is the best entry in the series from the past decade? I haven't really been in the mix, and I'd love to hear some recommendations and perspectives from hardcore vets. And by hardcore vets, I'm looking at Cure.
Breath of the Wild is definitely the best one in the last decade. Link Between Worlds is the best 2D one, which makes me happy that they're remaking Link's Awakening for Switch. I've always thought a healthy mix of 3D and 2D Zelda is ideal.
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 02:25 PM   #52
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Question for the Nintendo people: I used to have a Wii with a whole bunch of purchases I made in the store there until the whole system blew.

Is there a way to access that again, even on Wii U if I were to get one?
Old 04-08-2019, 03:07 PM   #53
raph27
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Question for the Nintendo people: I used to have a Wii with a whole bunch of purchases I made in the store there until the whole system blew.

Unlikely. You could contact Nintendo and see if they could do anything about it, but in general they don't care about digital stuff before the 3DS/Wii U era.
raph27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 04:50 PM   #54
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
Breath of the Wild is definitely the best one in the last decade. Link Between Worlds is the best 2D one, which makes me happy that they're remaking Link's Awakening for Switch. I've always thought a healthy mix of 3D and 2D Zelda is ideal.
Somehow, I thought Link to the Past was going to get a Switch remaster, and then I had to double check. So I guess I'd get to play a classic Zelda game in a new format. Never played Link's Awakening and its companion game whose name escapes me at the moment.

A Link to the Past remaster for Switch would be absolutely fantastic. Or even an Ocarina of Time remaster; that would look gorgeous.
Old 04-08-2019, 04:52 PM   #55
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
Never played Link's Awakening and its companion game whose name escapes me at the moment.
What companion game? There was none. Though later the Gameboy got Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons, two separate games that link up and then you fight Ganon at end. Interesting model.

Quote:
A Link to the Past remaster for Switch would be absolutely fantastic. Or even an Ocarina of Time remaster; that would look gorgeous.
A Link to the Past needs to happen. They could just use the engine they made for Link's Awakening, too.
Old 04-08-2019, 04:55 PM   #56
Leo656
The Franchise

Ages and Seasons were pretty good.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 08:52 PM   #57
sdp
-

Quote:
At first I hated "Wind Waker," but eventually I saw past the "kiddy" cel-shaded look and had a hell of a time. I lament never beating it. Hopefully they do Switch versions of that, and also Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess.
Hated Celda when it was first revealed, but the original trailer is more Looney Tunes, you had the whole running in mid air before falling with Link blinking, but when they edited that out the hype beat me and I reserved the game, loved it and back then people would make fun of you, funny how it's now "cool" to love it and EVERYONE always loved it, BS.

Well TP WW had HD releases on the Wii U so if they port those it could be easy for them, but we don't know, I actually think they won't. The Wii U needed yearly Zelda's to keep interest going while the Switch is doing fine and they likely don't want to diminish the Zelda brand with more ports.

Quote:

Back in the day it was a 50/50 but you had to send your Wii to Nintendo and not everyone was offered that when they asked, nowadays it's less likely. Doesn't hurt to shoot an email though, might get lucky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Ages and Seasons were pretty good.
The Capcom Zelda's which include The minnish cap are great, too bad Nintendo sees them as the blackship of the family and never references them, it's speculated it's the reason that Hyrule Warriors references every Zelda game except those. Specially a shame that while the Oracle games are more stand alone Minnish cap is an essential part of the trilogy of the Four Sword Adventures saga.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 10:19 PM   #58
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Sounds like I'm f***ed, then. I don't even physically have my old Wii. It burnt out so I threw it away 4 years ago.
Old 04-10-2019, 07:59 AM   #59
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Sounds like you can still download the game-breaking fix for Skyward Sword, despite the closure of the Wii Shop:
https://en-americas-support.nintendo...rd-sword-patch

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 10:03 AM   #60
Vegita-San
Emperor

I'm playing more of BOW.

I'm now 3 hours in. halfway through a walkthrough I found online. Still have not reached the first dungeon.

The Shrines are interesting, but rather pointless. just mini games in the zelda universe.

The weapons breaking is super annoying. you don't get more than 8 hits out of any of them.

And, just as my initial impressions feared, the game is nothing but a bunch of walking. with very little plot and alot of talking to characters. the few times you do defeat enemies, you can't keep the items in the chest cause your items are full.

ugh.

Skyward Sword is one of my favorite zelda games. I also liked Wind Waker, and TP.
And of course Orcania

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote