The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 01-14-2021, 04:52 PM   #21
Oculus Orbus
Mad Scientist

In the age of 3D scanning and printing and digital modeling and prototyping, only Playmates could screw up the size of the heads of all things (and go as far as to advertise it as a "new feature").

I might still get them despite the fact, but I can't help but think that these re-releases could be way closer to the original toys in sculpt, color match of the plastic and paint if they were handled by a different company, even without the original molds.
Oculus Orbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 05:06 PM   #22
mikey0
Foot Elite

I would love to see what Gentle Giant would do with the TMNT license. Jumbo and micro re-releases are long overdue.

Pre-orders for both box sets are on Entertainment Earth.

Retro Rotocast Sewer Lair Figure Set: https://www.entertainmentearth.com/p...d=TO-711220268

Retro Rotocast Villains Mutant Module Figure Set: https://www.entertainmentearth.com/p...d=TO-711220268

Both sets are sold out on the Big Bad Toy Store website.

Last edited by mikey0; 01-14-2021 at 05:56 PM.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 06:12 PM   #23
cloud
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oculus Orbus View Post
In the age of 3D scanning and printing and digital modeling and prototyping, only Playmates could screw up the size of the heads of all things (and go as far as to advertise it as a "new feature").

I might still get them despite the fact, but I can't help but think that these re-releases could be way closer to the original toys in sculpt, color match of the plastic and paint if they were handled by a different company, even without the original molds.
It's not screwing up. It's intentional to make the roto heads bigger. Don't know why but maybe it's retro feel they want to go for.
cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 06:14 PM   #24
cloud
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey0 View Post
I would love to see what Gentle Giant would do with the TMNT license. Jumbo and micro re-releases are long overdue.

Retro Rotocast Sewer Lair Figure Set: https://www.entertainmentearth.com/p...d=TO-711220268

Retro Rotocast Villains Mutant Module Figure Set: https://www.entertainmentearth.com/p...d=TO-711220268

It's pretty much Diamond Select at this point but I don't think there is a market. I want the jumbo figures to come with the weapons rack and usually Jumbo line doesn't do much accessories.
Micro figures, Playmates gave it another spin didn't do well. And there is another company making micro.
cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 06:30 PM   #25
King Kahn
Stone Warrior

Yikes. Playmates. Yikes.

At least Baxter is a new reissue to the villain set for those that need him or want more foot soldiers.

The hero set is just trash.
King Kahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 06:39 PM   #26
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Yeah, if it wasn't $100 (is it because the box isn't a rectangular prism?) I'd debate the Villain box as I only have Bebop and Rocksteady anymore.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 06:50 PM   #27
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud View Post
It's pretty much Diamond Select at this point but I don't think there is a market. I want the jumbo figures to come with the weapons rack and usually Jumbo line doesn't do much accessories.
Micro figures, Playmates gave it another spin didn't do well. And there is another company making micro.
The World’s Smallest Toys micro turtles are nothing like micro Super Powers or Marvel Secret War figures. The WST turtles are based on the style guide colors designs (Retro Collection clothing line TMNT) and not the vintage action figures.

Last edited by mikey0; 01-14-2021 at 07:26 PM.
Old 01-14-2021, 08:26 PM   #28
Spidergreg
Mad Scientist

What does roto mean?

Also the question remains....
Is bebop's entire lower body going to be black like the 2012 reissue?
Spidergreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 09:43 PM   #29
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidergreg View Post
What does roto mean?

Rotocasting is a process used to make hollow parts (in this case, toy heads with an empty space (air) inside [like the 1988 soft heads]) with no weld-lines. The hard head turtles from the original Playmates toylines all had weld lines on the sides of their heads.

By the looks of things, it does look like this new Bebop reissue with the oversized rotocast head will have an all-black lower half like the 2015 Classic Collection Retro Bebop figure did.
Old 01-14-2021, 09:44 PM   #30
indy1936
Random Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidergreg View Post
What does roto mean?

Good question. The 25th anniversary reissues in 2009 were pretty good in terms of plastic color and paint apps. I remember seeing later reissues and wondering what was up with Raph’s pale green, missing paint on bebop and rocksteady. Also the gumminess to the arms.
indy1936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 09:48 PM   #31
indy1936
Random Punk

Quote:
He meant the 2015 Classic Collection Retro Bebop.
Ya i know. I meant the 25th reissues were fine. The later reissues introduced issues with plastic color and missing apps. Looks like bebop is missing paint apps on the wrists too.
Old 01-14-2021, 09:58 PM   #32
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy1936 View Post
Ya i know. I meant the 25th reissues were fine. The later reissues introduced issues with plastic color and missing apps. Looks like bebop is missing paint apps on the wrists too.
I'm sorry, I misread your post. I agree with you. The 25th Anniversary Edition figures were heaps better than all that has come after it so far.

Still, nothing beats the reissues from the 1990s.

Last edited by mikey0; 01-14-2021 at 10:33 PM.
Old 01-14-2021, 10:03 PM   #33
Coro
Mad Scientist

Quote:

My whole sale license is still in effect so I scooped up these from EE distribution. They are an awesome wholesaler if you are running a store FYI.

Coro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 10:04 PM   #34
indy1936
Random Punk

Quote:
I'm sorry, I misread your post. I agree with you. The 25th Anniversary Edition figures were heaps better than all that has come after it so far. Still, nothing beats the reissues from the 1990s.
Yeah definitely
Old 01-14-2021, 10:37 PM   #35
Metropoliskid41
Stone Warrior

I for one am stoked for both of these. Already placed my order for both with my local comic shop. Really dig the collector boxes, I think they look great, and think the price is fantastic.

As mentioned above, I’d love to see them go the MOTU Origins route and take the old sculpts aesthetic and add in a ton of articulation at the same classic scale. Maybe we’ll still get that in the future.

But for the time being, if they’re going to go the reissues route, at least they’re going with the classic figures, with sculpts that are loved. These are the sculpts that hit my nostalgia buttons. The comic style turtle sculpts (that just don’t hit the comic aesthetic that they’re going for at all IMO) they’ve been pushing in the other sets lately just doesn’t do it for me. These do. May be alone here, but I love these 2 sets man!
Old 01-14-2021, 11:03 PM   #36
mikey0
Foot Elite

In hindsight, I must say the 1998 and 2013 reissue lines have been the weakest of the bunch thus far. The ‘93 repros had the second Figures and Accessories Collector’s Guide. The re-releases made in ‘94 and ‘95 mostly had trading cards and gold coins and the first wave of 25th Anniversary Edition reissues had DVDs of the episodes from the mini-series. Now, these retro figures with oversized rotocast heads come in collector boxes. There were not any cool pack-ins with the figures sold in ‘98, ‘99, and 2013 to 2016.

On the flip side, both the ‘98 and 2013 reissue lines had figures with normal sized hard heads. I wonder how long Playmates will produce figures with oversized rotocast heads. Is it a 2020s thing or will Playmates use rotocast heads until this century is over?
Old 01-14-2021, 11:05 PM   #37
Scumbug
Random Punk

How funny would it be if Krang's head was blown to a size that didn't fit the walker.
Scumbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 04:46 AM   #38
Walkabout
Stone Warrior

As I mentioned, I'm tempted to get the baddies box if only for the F.S. and accessories.

While I'm at it, could someone (I'm guessing mikey0) explain why they redid Shredder's leg and any other reissue changes?
Walkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 07:32 AM   #39
LincolnHawk
Mad Scientist

not sure why people continue to give into Playmates pathetic attempt at keeping people satisfied by regurgitating the same stuff every 2 or 3yrs....oh look a new box. If you keep buying it, they'll keep making the same things.....
Old 01-15-2021, 08:12 AM   #40
mikey see
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkabout View Post
As I mentioned, I'm tempted to get the baddies box if only for the F.S. and accessories.
This might be a dumb question, but are you so sure the Foot does come with accessories? Other figures are shown holding their weapons, the Foot has nothing. It'd be mighty lazy of Playmates to not include anything but I mean, come on. This whole release is lazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LincolnHawk View Post
not sure why people continue to give into Playmates pathetic attempt at keeping people satisfied by regurgitating the same stuff every 2 or 3yrs....oh look a new box. If you keep buying it, they'll keep making the same things.....
Seriously. They're (official) bootlegs of the originals in a fancy box. There's no upgrade here at all, it's all a step backwards.

Different strokes I guess.
mikey see is offline   Reply With Quote