The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 03-24-2017, 02:11 PM   #1
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Would you like a turtles show in the fantasy genre?

Traditionally, tmnt has always been a science fiction type show with their origin and such. However, I have always found the mystical element of ninja turtles to be fascinating.

How would you like it if there was a new show that was say, set in Ancient Feudal Japan and the origin of the turtles was not due to mutagen but due to a magical spell or curse etc. There would be more emphasis on magic, mystical and spiritual elements as opposed to the lean towards science fiction In the tmnt shows we have today.

What are your thoughts on such a concept? Would you be open to the concept of a fantasy oriented turtles show?
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 02:22 PM   #2
neatoman
Emperor

I get what you're saying but aren't there enough fantasy elements already to justify calling fantasy? The current comic book series even gave them an origin based on reincarnation.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 02:31 PM   #3
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
I get what you're saying but aren't there enough fantasy elements already to justify calling fantasy? The current comic book series even gave them an origin based on reincarnation.
True that, but what I mean is a show where many of the science fiction elements we have in tmnt today are instead replaced by fantasy/mysticism, an almost purely fantasy show unlike past shows which have had a roughly even split between fantasy and science fiction with a lean towards the latter.
Old 03-24-2017, 02:31 PM   #4
CyberCubed
Overlord

I feel like there's already a lot of fantasy or magic in the series:

- Renet and her time travel takes the Turtles to ancient Japan and medieval europe in many versions

- The Turtles deal with magic, dragons or powers in every single series.

- There are witches, sorcerers or magic users in every single series

- The Turtles fight regular monsters (not mutants, but actual monsters), in a lot of versions too, like beasts, or skeletons, or vampires
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 02:31 PM   #5
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

I'm intrigued enough to entertain fleshing out this idea
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 02:36 PM   #6
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
True that, but what I mean is a show where many of the science fiction elements we have in tmnt today are instead replaced by fantasy/mysticism, an almost purely fantasy show unlike past shows which have had a roughly even split between fantasy and science fiction with a lean towards the latter.
So what would Splinter and the Turtles' origin story be? The reincarnation angle introduced in IDW could fit just as well in this setting as it does in the modern day setting of the comics
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 02:52 PM   #7
Powder
So tired of this place

I had developed a concept exactly like this a few years ago, hoping one day I'd be motivated to make a fan-comic of it, but alas, too lazy.

They would sorta be guardians of the land who lived in the mountains & were discovered by a monk (Hamato Yoshi) when they were very young. He'd take them in & raise them as his children/disciples, living in isolation. They'd protect the natural resources & wild-life at first, eventually growing up to take care of thieves, assassins, etc. by dark of night. Saki would be a corrupt shogun they were trained to one day take down, Splinter would be a mere pet rat, though he would chill in a pouch on Donnie's belt & travel with them.

Spoiler:

The design concepts need some work but I ought to revisit this some day.

So in other words, I'm all for it. The mysticism & Japanese elements are some of my most favorite things about TMNT.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 03:07 PM   #8
CyberCubed
Overlord

I find it weird TMNT is so quick to focus on sci-fi and mutants over the more realistic or mystical parts of the franchise. Mirage is guilty of this too, given how early the space arc happened by issue #4.
Old 03-24-2017, 03:20 PM   #9
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

It would really depend, I think. It's the only way I'd be okay with a "second dimension" element. Why have Dimension X in normal settings when the aliens could just be from another galaxy?

I've said before that I don't really like magic in a science-born story, but if it was caused by magic in another setting, I'd be okay with that.

I like Power's concept quite a lot. April could even be be a Dutch merchant's daughter or something to that degree (since the Japanese and the Dutch would have been trading around that time). Utroms are still very much seen in the same light as Krang was in Secret History of the Foot Clan as Tetsu-Oni.
And their explanation for their part in the turtle's creation would come down to:
"Yeeees, you were created with magic, suuuure...hide the experiment tubes."
Which is how they do just about everything already, but pushed to the max.

Last edited by Utrommaniac; 03-24-2017 at 03:25 PM.
Utrommaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 03:36 PM   #10
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
I had developed a concept exactly like this a few years ago, hoping one day I'd be motivated to make a fan-comic of it, but alas, too lazy.

They would sorta be guardians of the land who lived in the mountains & were discovered by a monk (Hamato Yoshi) when they were very young. He'd take them in & raise them as his children/disciples, living in isolation. They'd protect the natural resources & wild-life at first, eventually growing up to take care of thieves, assassins, etc. by dark of night. Saki would be a corrupt shogun they were trained to one day take down, Splinter would be a mere pet rat, though he would chill in a pouch on Donnie's belt & travel with them.

Spoiler:

The design concepts need some work but I ought to revisit this some day.
http://img01.deviantart.net/a81f/i/2...es-d7nmogq.png

So in other words, I'm all for it. The mysticism & Japanese elements are some of my most favorite things about TMNT.
I was gonna come up with my own idea but screw that, this idea is Fabulous!
Old 03-24-2017, 03:39 PM   #11
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

No issue with fantasy elements and themes. Existing in another era... eh... I enjoy them visiting it, but I'd miss them living in our modern era.

How about a mini series that brings back Mikey being a bit of a writer and the episodes are in fact his stories.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 06:30 PM   #12
dragonside
Hench Mutant

I like this idea.

I would really like it if the setting was in ancient feudal Japan.

I would imagine it to be something like Spiderman Noir, it would be the Ninja Turtles of that age (instead of the time travelling ones).

If this were merged universe with Usagi Yojimbo - that would be even better, so that we can have a crossover no problem, and have everyone be animals, so that the TMNT become more like a Ninja Clan a la Naruto style.

I'd like magic to be a smaller part of the fantasy (limited to some characters) and the focus to be on advanced ninjutsu.

Leo - still a master swordsman, maybe he will be a samurai who becomes a ninja.

Raphael - being a strong farmer who decides to bear arms.

Michelangelo - to be a theater acrobat

Donatello - to be a scholar of the age and perhaps astrologer?

Shredder - maybe change his origin to be more like conqueror

I'd like to see the Turtles have a Turtle Father and Mother but also still have Splinter be their master. And perhaps a revenge story.

dragonside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 09:51 PM   #13
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Okay, but get this...what if their parents...were actually, unmutated turtles?
Spoiler:

And she just...lives in a pond with a bunch of other turtles. And they know it's their mom because it's the only female there.

I might do a nicer drawing of it another time, but that I had to get it out of my mind.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:05 PM   #14
snake
Disgusting

Oh totally. I'd want Genndy Tartakovsky to produce it as well.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 10:47 PM   #15
Wildcat
Foot Elite

So something like they were created by a wizard's spell or a supernatural being?

Chaos Emeralds fell to earth and changed 4 turtles into humanoids?

Just my Sonic side talking. Although the chaos emeralds are mystical gems. They don't have a sci-fi origin.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:37 PM   #16
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
Okay, but get this...what if their parents...were actually, unmutated turtles?

And she just...lives in a pond with a bunch of other turtles. And they know it's their mom because it's the only female there.

I might do a nicer drawing of it another time, but that I had to get it out of my mind.

If the option/chance presented itself, that could leave the boys with the interesting struggle and dilemma of questioning whether to mutate her or leave her alone. Would she be happier as a sentient person, or as she is? Would their longing for a mother be a selfish reason to go through with it? And who says the mutagen is still the same and would turn out just the same as for them, so maybe it's not worth risking anyhow. Moral struggles.

While we're dreaming up parental situations... Someday I want a version where Tang Shen is still present. Where she and Yoshi (later to be Splinter) both fled to NYC together to start a life there. And either she's mutated as well or...stays human.

I've got this concept in my head that Splinter (and Turtles) end up mutated while she's at home, work or wherever, and her husband, in her viewpoint, appears to have just vanished one day, leaving her to struggle with that unanswered loss. But he was actually afraid to return home. Eventually some years later he leaves a letter for her, possibly at his son's encouragement, and they start communicating that way. She doesn't understand why he is keeping secrets and won't come see her until eventually she learns the truth. And at some point meets the boys.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 12:21 AM   #17
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Personally, I imagine them leaving their turtle mom alone. She wouldn't have the same level of sapiency as them when mutated; she wouldn't be able to give any human wisdoms or advice because she hasn't lived long enough of a sapient life to be a "mother". Under Yoshi's direction, the boys would understand that fully. Plus, there's some fun novelty in picking up the biggest turtle in the pond in front of rare visitors and saying "Here's the lady of the house!"
They get all the parenting they need from Yoshi. A mother figure would be nice, but they know they'll never get that from a turtle mutated far later than they have. They'd be helping her and advising her far more than she'd be helping and advising them.

I actually do have a version where Tang Shen survives, but she's just separated from Yoshi.

Spoiler:
The TCRI destruction is set as a cause of the Turtles mutation, because of a fight between Saki and Yoshi (who were both potentials to be the head of the Utrom guardians) in one of the labs.
Yoshi escapes separately from Shen. He first gets the four turtles to safety, but isn't able to find Shen or their daughter Miwa. It turned out that she did get away from the fire, with Miwa and the lab's "mascot" cat - both of which mutated because the cat had climbed on the baby when the fire started.

Dr. Xeinos and Ma'riell send the three of them to their property in Northampton as a place of refuge while they work on anti-mutagens, and end up there for a long time. In the meantime, any mutants that are located go to Northampton as a halfway home and are looked after by Shen. Of course, she has stayed in contact with her Utrom employers and becomes increasingly sure that her husband died in the fire, just as he is sure that she had died.

So for whatever reason the turtles and Splinter are forced to go to Northampton, they would meet Shen there for the first time. I think it would be a better "close of first act" to meet her then, rather than at the end of the story. I'm not entirely sure why they're going to Northampton in my take, if the goal of the Foot Clan is to capture mutants for the Utroms so their mutation can be reversed.
(Maybe Saki still has a vendetta against Yoshi and would prefer him dead than have his mutation reversed?

It does put up a lot of ethics questions in regards to the mutation. All the turtles, Miwa, and the "Hob replacement" have known is their mutated forms, so obviously, they wouldn't want to be replaced. But it's harder for Miwa in particular because she wants to have a "normal" life, but doesn't know anything else but being a literal cat freak. Then there's the Utroms making exception to Leatherhead, who gets a little upset that they want to reverse other mutations.
Old 03-25-2017, 12:26 AM   #18
CyberCubed
Overlord

It's easy to forget how much controversy there was over IDW's Turtles being reincarnated humans back in 2011. People were rather shocked at the time, but people grew to love it and now nobody really cares or mentions it.

I mean it's hard to believe that was over 7 years ago already.
Old 03-25-2017, 12:36 AM   #19
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

The only problem I have with that is how Michelangelo, and possibly even Raphael, were depicted sleeping with their brothers, when in Japan - especially during the the 1600's, they more likely would have been sleeping with their parents at their age. But, I have determined that they probably just wanted to be with their big brothers, making an early retirement from their parents room. I can imagine that with Raphael for sure, but Michelangelo would have been somewhere around three years old?

It's just a little historical snafu and nothing to make a big deal of, but still.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:33 AM   #20
Tetsu Deinonychus
The Iron Dinosaur

I think a TMNT show based on Micheal Zulli's version, would be the best take on this.
Tetsu Deinonychus is offline   Reply With Quote