The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 12-13-2018, 10:08 AM   #221
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Here's the full thing allegedly

Hey, I really like that! Consider me surprised.

Thanks for posting.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 10:31 PM   #222
Wildcat
Foot Elite

The shoes are different in this picture but if he looks pretty much like this it’s perfect. They just closed the gap in his eyes. The pupils do seem to stick out a bit too so it could be it.

It’s kinda weird about the Sonic designers reacting to only the teaser. I mean you’d think they would have seen the final look along with Sega before any of us.

If this is it I do not see Sega being THAT unhappy with the eyes. People made that little snippet of the article out as...Sega hates it. They could have just disagreed but were still fine with it.
Old 12-16-2018, 10:16 AM   #223
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Spoiler:

This meme feels oddly relevant right now ...

Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 10:25 PM   #224
Gunpowder
Stone Warrior

Quote:
This design has gotta go. Fast.

Quote:
Here's the full thing allegedly

That actually looks good to me (if it's legit). His voice/animation might change my mind, though.

__________________________________________________ ________________________

Also came across this (fan-made) alternate poster the other day. Can't recall who made it.

Old 12-16-2018, 10:29 PM   #225
Leo656
The Franchise

It's kind of amazing how that actually looks like Sonic, while the official poster looks like somebody doing a supermarket meet-and-greet for children while wearing a poorly-made Sonic costume.

Just an observation.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 10:32 PM   #226
Gunpowder
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Just an observation.
And an accurate one.
Old 12-16-2018, 10:45 PM   #227
Leo656
The Franchise

I'm curious to see what they come up with, but even as a kid I wasn't convinced that Sonic could work as a movie. The premise is pretty thin and altogether a bit absurd for a live-action film. Like, I know "everything" has to be turned into a movie at some point as a general rule, but it doesn't actually work for a lot of things. Especially video game things. Removed from the personal interaction of actually playing a game, a lot of the plot and story stuff in video games simply isn't that great, and the numerous failed adaptations speak pretty clearly to that.

I guess we'll see how it goes. What I'm REALLY dreading more than anything in this world is the Metal Gear Solid movie. I love that series more than I love my family members, and all I can think of is how many ways they can screw that up. Plus the fact that we already had two really good MGS movies, called "Escape From New York" and "Escape From LA".

Old 12-17-2018, 08:01 PM   #228
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

The official Twitter for the Sonic The Hedgehog Movie posted this tweet. I guess they are aware about the Legs. I'm so glad they have a sense of humor with all the things going on with Sonic's legs https://twitter.com/SonicMovie/statu...53082159243264

Last edited by TigerClaw; 12-17-2018 at 08:11 PM.
TigerClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 08:16 PM   #229
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
The official Twitter for the Sonic The Hedgehog Movie posted this tweet. I guess they are aware about the Legs. I'm so glad they have a sense of humor with all the things going on with Sonic's legs https://twitter.com/SonicMovie/statu...53082159243264

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DuqlKkBVsAAJaKi.jpg:small
The folks behind the twitter page really aren't doing the franchise any favors. If anything, they're further amplifying the fact that Sonic is becoming a joke. I know Sega is not behind this movie but it's pretty pathetic how they're letting this happen and I'm not a fan of how they're handling their mascot as of late compared to their other IPs.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 08:44 PM   #230
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
The folks behind the twitter page really aren't doing the franchise any favors. If anything, they're further amplifying the fact that Sonic is becoming a joke. I know Sega is not behind this movie but it's pretty pathetic how they're letting this happen and I'm not a fan of how they're handling their mascot as of late compared to their other IPs.
Personally I think people judging the silhouette in the post out of context is silly. I also found it amusing the whole thing with the Legs which started the meme. As a Sonic fan. I'm not bother by any of it. Let's wait til we see a Trailer before we judge anything.
Old 12-17-2018, 09:02 PM   #231
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
On the contrary, this franchise has been a joke for a very long time now, & if anything, their Twitter is helping by having a degree of self awareness about the fact. I appreciate their levity, personally. The property itself, on a creative front, has been subject to countless terrible ideas (mixing with anime girls, weirdo edge-lord themes/characters, cut & paste character design) & don't even get me started on the fandom. So I think it's good that the marketing team doesn't take things too seriously & knows how to goof around with its following/appeal to internet culture.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 09:05 PM   #232
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Im a Sonic Fan like everyone else. But I don't hold it in such a high regard that I would get upset over any changes.

Kind of like with TMNT every time they change there designs. I don't cry about it. I'm just glad that it continues to exist for new generations.

This Sonic Movie will be for a new generation who will get to know the character. and maybe even play the new Sonic Games when those come out.

I look forward to when ever they release the trailer. I gotta remain optimistic about this whole thing.

Last edited by TigerClaw; 12-17-2018 at 09:16 PM.
TigerClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 09:51 PM   #233
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
Im a Sonic Fan like everyone else. But I don't hold it in such a high regard that I would get upset over any changes.

Kind of like with TMNT every time they change there designs. I don't cry about it. I'm just glad that it continues to exist for new generations.

This Sonic Movie will be for a new generation who will get to know the character. and maybe even play the new Sonic Games when those come out.

I look forward to when ever they release the trailer. I gotta remain optimistic about this whole thing.
This is why Movie Studios/Tv Shows love you your just a shill who will go along with no matter what they do whether its great changes or bastardize the characters
Old 12-17-2018, 10:01 PM   #234
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
This is why Movie Studios/Tv Shows love you your just a shill who will go along with no matter what they do whether its great changes or bastardize the characters
I think the studio was aware that they would get those reactions, and using it to there advantage by having that official twitter be self aware. We will eventually see a trailer and a full reveal. and maybe everyone will be satisfied with the way Sonic looks. Gotta remain optimistic.
Old 12-17-2018, 10:05 PM   #235
Leo656
The Franchise

Dear TigerClaw,

"Their".

Sincerely, "That Guy".

P.S. Yes, I'm pedantic, no need to inform me.

Old 12-17-2018, 11:04 PM   #236
Wildcat
Foot Elite

He’s really not that muscular. They just added muscle to his body and everyone lost it as usual.

The leaked pic is obviously a concept because he looks more plushie than the official poster but overall I’m sure his final design will look fine.

How does Sonic NOT work as a movie? Regardless of how this turns out it has plenty of stuff to build a movie from?

Evil Scientist, robot minions, alien planets, a “super device” (the chaos emeralds), plenty of characters and location and that’s from the original games.

There’s been a whole comic universe based on it.
Old 12-17-2018, 11:33 PM   #237
Leo656
The Franchise

I'm aware. I probably own many more of the comics than you do, son.

Not everything works as a movie. Video games, especially, simply don't work as movies. I think Sonic could, in theory, be made into a good, or at least entertaining movie, sure. If the right people made it. Will this be it? I kinda don't think so, but maybe.

Like any other video game movie, there's far too many things that can go wrong. Mostly because the people making the movies don't give a sh*t about the games, and in fact most of the time look down on them with contempt. The whole problem is the filmmakers' way of thinking: "Okay, this thing's sold millions of copies and made billions of dollars. It has a built-in fanbase of millions of people who are already invested in it. Now, how do we 'fix' it until it's unrecognizable, so that people who don't give a sh*t will like it, too?" Which always leaves fans of the actual game wondering what the hell they just watched and why it has no resemblance to the games, 99% of the time. So they tell their friends it sucks and not to bother with it because it's nothing like the games. And people who don't play the games, don't care at all, so they stay home and the movie doesn't make any money.

This would be tough to predict if it didn't happen the same exact way every. Single. Time.

I don't think Sonic is "bulletproof" enough to withstand that kind of "Hollywood tinkering" that every game adaptation gets. And we can talk about the events of the games' universe, or the comics' universe, all day and night, but by looking at what little we know about the story for this one, we can safely say that neither the games, comics, or cartoons have much to do with it. This is entirely their own thing. Will it be any good? Jim Carrey's in it, so probably not. But we definitely shouldn't look at the stories in the games or comic books as any indicator of how the movie will turn out, regardless.

Controversial Opinion Time: I love video games, and I love movies. But I absolutely do not love Video Game Movies, and I kinda wish people would stop making them, or asking for them. Mortal Kombat is the only good one, and even that only barely holds up. These things never turn out satisfactory to ANY audience, so why force a square peg into a round hole? In some cases, a bad movie does serious damage to the brand. Street Fighter was the most popular thing going... until the movie. Double Dragon's popularity never recovered. Tomb Raider needed a long break and a total reboot after the Jolie flicks, and it can be argued that the lukewarm reception of the newest flick hurt sales of the newest game, which was supposedly really good but nobody bought it. Assassin's Creed isn't lighting the world on fire the way it did a couple years ago, either. It's like these things are poisonous. "Wanna kill a hot gaming franchise? Make a movie." You can almost set your watch to it.

Sonic's long past its prime already, so I doubt it'll hurt the brand much if it doesn't take off. I still don't see much upside, though.

Old 12-17-2018, 11:59 PM   #238
DarkFell
A Crusty Bob Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Will it be any good? Jim Carrey's in it, so probably not.
Carrey can portray and perform serious roles very well. Unfortunately, it isn't always requested of him because a majority of people that watched some of his older movies, remember him as being a goofy actor. He pulled that off well in The Mask and, it became his gimmick that carried on into Dumb & Dumber, Batman Forever, The (live action) Grinch movie, and so on.

Jim might have the ability to pull off a well-done Dr. Robotnik performance without the goofiness. However, even with / without Carrey, I'm still not entirely sold on this movie.

Last edited by DarkFell; 12-19-2018 at 10:08 PM.
DarkFell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 12:01 AM   #239
Leo656
The Franchise

I enjoyed him in "Man on the Moon".

Between that and the first Ace Ventura, I think that's about as much Jim Carrey as the world has required since "In Living Color" went off the air.

Old 12-18-2018, 12:53 AM   #240
Wildcat
Foot Elite

@Leo656, I actually do have a lot of the comics but I lost track many years ago. Look I will never claim to be a bigger or better fan of anything because that’s just a poor argument in general.

I have to be honest though just so people know where I’m coming from. I absolutely love Sonic. I have not really let it be known here because it just hardly comes up.

It’s not just about the games and merchandise for me. It’s an emotional attachment that started from the first game. It might sound silly but I think we all have that 1 franchise/fandom that we stuck to and love more than any other.

I’m sure by now most people on here know I don’t like being cynical towards movies. So I just cannot go into any movie with that kind of mindset. That filmmakers or studio simply do not care or are not putting effort into it. I like to give the benefit of the doubt and judge based on context of whatever it is.

In terms of this movie...it’s the first one. So I know it’s not going to be an epic tribute to the fanbase. Which I’m totally fine with. There’s only so much you can put in one movie. Unless they intentionally messed things up I think it’ll turn out fine if not better than expected.

To say they don’t care or are just throwing it together is the wrong attitude imo. I can not expect any filmmakers to have the same love/standard for something that I do. That’s pretty unfair and unrealistic.

Even if it did turn out bad it won’t hurt the franchise. It’ll continue as is with games (and cartoons/toys/comics etc). That’s what Sonic is first and foremost.

Oh and Jim Carrey is basically perfect for Eggman. The silly personality is a great match.