The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 03-22-2018, 01:59 AM   #21
Nortock Diab
Hench Mutant

I personally buy the Hardcover collection. The perfect way to read the series without being on the hunt for single issues and a reading order.

Then I sometimes buy IDW single issues :
- Whenever they are not collected in the Hardcover collection (Infestation, Deviation, Batman/TMNT...)
- For some events or mini (Dimension X, Bebop & Rocksteady...)
Almost always Cover A and only Cover A.

I never buy TMNT TPB from IDW (I like the old ones from Mirage though).
Nortock Diab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 03:43 AM   #22
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
Seeing how it took Action Comics 80 years to reach even 1/9 of that... No.

Anyway, are we just talking the current numbering or total including renumberings? Those can be a rather different.
For example, no Venom series ever reached more than 47 issues, but with the return of Eddie Brock the series numbering officially recognises 165 issues confirmed.

Let's say they do get to continue to issue 100 and a little beyond. As of right, let's estimate 100-120, somewhere in between. After that point the sales really plummet but IDW still wants to keep the license, so they'll release yearly mini-series to maintain it. Let's say they're 5 issues long on average and that this goes on for about 8 years. Then they feel like it's time to try another ongoing that lasts for 39 issues.

In this scenario, the original numbering was only 120 but it adds up to 199, at which point they can claim the next issue is 200.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 06:17 AM   #23
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
The best I can say is that since the staff doesn't seem to be concerned about the drop in sales - which Bobby didn't seem to be a few months ago - then I'm not going to be concerned.

He even seemed...enthusiastic his regular "I can't say anything" to my question about what Null was alerted to at the end of TMNTU 20. So with that, I don't see any reason to think they might have to rush the ending overall.

And, with another year or so to go for #100, I do think things have potential to pick up again.
but do you think if there was cause for concern, that they'd be aloud to verbalize it publicly?

that's just a typical P.R. response.

like a speech a Commanding Officer might give before sending his troops off on a suicide mission.
Old 03-22-2018, 06:29 AM   #24
myconius
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Seeing how it took Action Comics 80 years to reach even 1/9 of that... No.

Anyway, are we just talking the current numbering or total including renumberings? Those can be a rather different.
For example, no Venom series ever reached more than 47 issues, but with the return of Eddie Brock the series numbering officially recognises 165 issues confirmed.

Let's say they do get to continue to issue 100 and a little beyond. As of right, let's estimate 100-120, somewhere in between. After that point the sales really plummet but IDW still wants to keep the license, so they'll release yearly mini-series to maintain it. Let's say they're 5 issues long on average and that this goes on for about 8 years. Then they feel like it's time to try another ongoing that lasts for 39 issues.

In this scenario, the original numbering was only 120 but it adds up to 199, at which point they can claim the next issue is 200.
i was speculating the current numbering and continuity.

as of now i see the series reaching to 120, maybe 125.

i'm not sure 5 issues a year over 8 years would really hold it afloat.
interest and readership would drastically drop.

at that point they'd be much better off rebooting and renumbering to attract new readers.
Old 03-22-2018, 06:30 AM   #25
Sabacooza
Mad Scientist

TMNT could also be in a slump because there's no show to promote it. Once that show is on the air whether we like the direction or not, It might reinvigorate the comics.
Sabacooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 07:37 AM   #26
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
Heh, I was just thinking that too. So, let's shoot for 9,000 or 8,000 (depending on who you ask). I mean, Archie Sonic almost made it to 300, so... yeah.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 08:21 AM   #27
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
TMNT could also be in a slump because there's no show to promote it. Once that show is on the air whether we like the direction or not, It might reinvigorate the comics.
Huh...that's a pretty good observation. It probably isn't a coincidence that the numbers are low while it's between shows, but then again...
Old 03-22-2018, 09:50 AM   #28
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Maybe when the new TV series begins a slight increase will happen. But more likely those watching the show will buy the current mini or crossover. Or the show will get it’s own mini and that will be what the fans pickup.

It’s hard to imagine the target audience for the show will want the ongoing. Hopefully I’m wrong and the ongoing starts increasing every month with the excitement of a new TV series. However it seems like the TV fans will want toys more than comics.

Last edited by TurtleWA; 03-22-2018 at 10:23 AM.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 09:59 AM   #29
myconius
Abby Normal

yeah, i really can't imagine a kiddie cartoon about mystical Ninja Turtles drawing in new readers into a non related comic series.

a comic series that has about six years worth of continuity from well over 150 back issues to catch up on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleWA View Post
However it seems like the TV fans will want toys more than comics.
you hit the nail on the head with that one!
Old 03-22-2018, 11:47 AM   #30
AquaParade
Banned

I personally would like to see a fresh voice on the book. As much as I appreciate the great job Tom Waltz has done, the respect he has for the franchise, and his brave, successful spin on the origin, the style of storytelling just doesn't grab me at all, and it's hard for me to make it through an issue. Maybe it's the dialogue, maybe it's the pacing, or possibly the characterization of the turtles. It's hard to say.

I do really appreciate how fun and surprising the first five issues were. I also enjoy Secret History of the Foot. I'm glad the book has been as successful as it has. I'd love to see it continue, but hopefully with a fresh voice or mantra.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 12:02 PM   #31
CyberCubed
Overlord

If IDW TMNT is still going in the year 2021, it'll have been going on a full 10 years since it started in 2011.

Man, the year 2021 sounds like a year out of a sci-fi movie, hard to believe we'll be there in only 3 years.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 12:14 PM   #32
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
I think the correlation between having a little kids' TMNT cartoon on the air, not having a little kids' TMNT cartoon on the air, and IDW TMNT sales is somewhere between "almost no effect at all" and "no effect whatsoever."

Unless the toy stuff has, like, vouchers or coupons or order forms to order IDW TMNT, there really is no impetus for little kids to seek out comics they don't know exist that bare little to no resemblance to the show they're watching (particularly within the increasingly dwindled number of actual comic book stores out there they could even possibly stumble upon).
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 01:03 PM   #33
myconius
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I think the correlation between having a little kids' TMNT cartoon on the air, not having a little kids' TMNT cartoon on the air, and IDW TMNT sales is somewhere between "almost no effect at all" and "no effect whatsoever."

Unless the toy stuff has, like, vouchers or coupons or order forms to order IDW TMNT, there really is no impetus for little kids to seek out comics they don't know exist that bare little to no resemblance to the show they're watching (particularly within the increasingly dwindled number of actual comic book stores out there they could even possibly stumble upon).
this was pretty much my thoughts as well.

i can see a live action movie geared towards teens and adults possibly getting people into comic stores. but definitely not a kiddie cartoon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
I personally would like to see a fresh voice on the book. As much as I appreciate the great job Tom Waltz has done, the respect he has for the franchise, and his brave, successful spin on the origin, the style of storytelling just doesn't grab me at all, and it's hard for me to make it through an issue. Maybe it's the dialogue, maybe it's the pacing, or possibly the characterization of the turtles. It's hard to say.

I do really appreciate how fun and surprising the first five issues were. I also enjoy Secret History of the Foot. I'm glad the book has been as successful as it has. I'd love to see it continue, but hopefully with a fresh voice or mantra.
i think i might be starting to feel the same way as you about the storytelling.
it's a very dialog driven comic, with little to no action. when action does happen, it's usually over before it really begins.
i didn't mind so much for the early arcs because there was usually some pay off or satisfying conclusion right away. but now that most of the plot threads feel like they are really dragging out it's hard to get excited for the new issues.

i also think the story focusing on so many new characters, and the Turtles taking backseat in their own comic is not a very good thing.

so many different things going on the overall direction of plot is getting convoluted.
Old 03-22-2018, 01:44 PM   #34
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Do people in charge have faith that drastic shakeups would result in monthly increases rather than an even faster decrease? At least if they stay the course it’s more certain sales would stay with the current trends. I’m reminded of the phrase that goes something like “better the devil you know than the devil you don't.” Or for all we know an exit or change with everything is already planned/plotted and we are wasting our words.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 02:14 PM   #35
funatic
Mad Scientist

How long will it last? . . .

But realistically... They seem to plot out major arcs in sets of 50 so would love to see it hit 150 or 200.

Would also like to see Universe continue alongside it for that long. I feel like it's really fleshing out the turtles'... Universe. Contrary to some, I don't mind when the turtles leave the spotlight either, and it's great to see the variety of talent Bobby turns through the sister series with each new arc.

I collect all the singles of the main series, mini series, and Universe. It's really the best way to ensure that we continue to get TMNT on the shelf. I believe that the smaller comic publishers (and definitely comic shops) stay in business due to floppy sales. Also after 15 years of collecting all the other TMNT back-issues it seems silly to stop now! Plus, letter columns are fun!

I also get the IDW Complete Collection trades because, well, they're a no-brainer. Everything, in order, in a beautiful hardcover format. What's not to love?
funatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 03:16 PM   #36
myconius
Abby Normal

maybe that's part of the problem right there?

a comic series shouldn't have to use up 50 issues (plus supplemental titles) just to reach a satisfying conclusion.
Old 03-22-2018, 03:25 PM   #37
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

I have no desire to see a creative team change. Keep Waltz, keep Bobby.

Look around at the Big 2, you guys... how many creative teams stick around and last, consistently telling good stories year over year?

If there's a roadblock to IDW TMNT truly meeting our desires, it's that Nick has a leash on IDW and we have to keep things PG (except for the occasional turtleshell-smashing shock moment).

The Turtles aren't allowed to kill, or grow past being relatively idealistic teenagers. We're not getting Mirage-style comics ever again, so this is the best we get. And I'm okay with that.

Maybe in another decade or two, IDW can tell some more adult-oriented TMNT tales, with melancholy, grim and bleak atmosphere, and moral ambiguity, like The Walking Dead. But don't hold it against them that they're telling stories for an IP that the mass audience assumes is for kiddies.
Old 03-22-2018, 03:29 PM   #38
funatic
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by myconius View Post
maybe that's part of the problem right there?

a comic series shouldn't have to use up 50 issues (plus supplemental titles) just to reach a satisfying conclusion.
I personally like the long game. I feel like most comics these days are obsessed with 4-6 issue stories then–BOOM!–start with a new #1. I kind of fell in love with the Mirage comics for the way they would occasionally really slow things down and just meditate on story beats and introspective characterization. Glad to see IDW doing some of the same in the current fast-paced market, and I actually wished they had spent a bit more time with things like Raph alone, Dark Leo, and dead Donnie. Long arcs leave room for reflection and gravitas.
funatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 03:32 PM   #39
CyberCubed
Overlord

I doubt any of the creative team will change unless they themselves decide to quit or leave IDW for another company. I hope they stay the entire run, it makes sense for the series to have one vision. Whenever creative teams change they either reboot or make drastic changes and change a series into something it's not.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 03:51 PM   #40
myconius
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by funatic View Post
I personally like the long game. I feel like most comics these days are obsessed with 4-6 issue stories then–BOOM!–start with a new #1. I kind of fell in love with the Mirage comics for the way they would occasionally really slow things down and just meditate on story beats and introspective characterization. Glad to see IDW doing some of the same in the current fast-paced market, and I actually wished they had spent a bit more time with things like Raph alone, Dark Leo, and dead Donnie. Long arcs leave room for reflection and gravitas.
but at least in the early arcs of the IDW series there were conclusions to the stories. after 'City Fall' and 'Northampton' what were the story arcs that lead to 'Attack on the Technodrome' and 'Vengeance'?
what were the memorable moments of said (in-between) arcs? they were just kind of there.
that's how i feel about many of the stories post #50. they're just kind of there.
the Street Phantoms arc was cool, but there were a lot of times when the story would stop dead in it's tracks for a healthy does of melodrama.