Mad Scientist

TMNT Macro-Series: Michelangelo Preview and Discussion

First look:

Spoiler:
AlZarkovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 02:16 PM   #2
Igglet

Oof, Jennika getting sassy there.

Also, I wonder where Leo is. I mean, I wouldn't be surprised if he was just missing from those first few pages but then again, could it be that he already set off to Northampton by the time this story started?

Come to think of it, do we have any solid confirmation on when any of these issues are happening?
Old 10-18-2018, 02:20 PM   #3
CyberCubed
Overlord

It's kinda strange the Turtles are ok with the Foot training these kids to become new Foot recruits (even though a previous issue had Mikey said he didn't want them to be, it's obvious where they're going with it). I mean they literally show Jennika/Casey training the teenage ones in martial arts in the main ongoing.

I mean yeah, the Foot Clan isn't exactly "evil" anymore under Splinter's command, but yeah, they're still training innocent kids to become ninja warriors to deal in violence against rival gangs.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 01:55 AM   #4
bushido
Stone Warrior

Full preview here.
Old 10-19-2018, 10:50 AM   #5
Igglet

Yep, Leo's still missing. Starting to get a bit weird now.
Old 10-24-2018, 01:43 AM   #6
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

<Deep inhale>

WOW that was good!

Spoiler:
Look at Michelangelo sticking to his guns!

His fight with Splinter is easily one of the best fights in a while. It was intense!
And our boy won!

But easily the best part was everyone's reactions to Mike elbowing Splinter in the face!

The most important thing is that Mike definitely broke through to Splinter's better sensibilities a little bit, and that's going to be key in the issues next year. Especially by the looks of the final two panels. Those were very telling.

Another thing that was really interesting is how different Mike is from the beginning of the issue and the middle & end. His "childish" behavior was clearly just for the sake of the kids. He was completely aware of what they needed, and a good part of that was to be entertained. He's had their best interests in mind the whole time, but he ended up being forced to prove that he was dead serious about it.

By being a step down from the big "fvck you" (ohhh if the age rating was just a little higher...), to fighting his dad on a pipe, to being willing to make that fight to the death.

The flashback was sweet, and a good way to prelude the fight.

I can only imagine how intense the next two are going to be. Of course Raph's is going to be really intense, but it makes one wonder...

One thing that was a little odd was how the boys seemed to have a weird chimera of design between what's "typical" for their IDW designs and the 2012 show. Like Don has the tooth gap.
But, it was pretty neat seeing them without their masks for at least the first half of the story.

Last edited by Utrommaniac; 10-24-2018 at 01:55 AM.
Utrommaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 06:48 AM   #7
Igglet

Sweet mother of God, that was definitely the best issue of TMNT I've read in a long time. I said the same thing about the Donatello Macro but this was just on a whole new level. The story is everything I wanted it to be and it actually managed to surprise me. Mikey's characterization is exactly what it should be. He's still the goofy brother but his over the top jokey persona's something he was putting up for the kids. And the art was amazing, I thought it'd be a bit lacking from the preview but it was absolutely 10/10. I don't think I've ever been this cheerful while reading a comic, I had a grin during the entire experience.

I absolutely can't wait for the next Macro. Both of the Macros we got so far were pretty much the peak of IDW TMNT, and I'm thrilled to see what they do with Leo and Raph.
Old 10-25-2018, 09:06 AM   #8
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

This was a damn good issue! But Splinter being so pissed off was surprising. Not that it was out of character or out of place, given the past events, but that we've really seen no indication of it in the main ongoing series.
Old 10-25-2018, 11:00 AM   #9
Igglet

Honestly, something I've also noticed is that this issue didn't just do Mikey really well, Leo had a pretty interesting part as well. Mikey was obviously the star here but I really, REALLY like Leo's characterization. He's a really hard character to write, in my personal opinion, and this issue did a great job at it.
Old 10-25-2018, 11:43 AM   #10
ChosenOne
Banned

How can an issue be so dramatic and so funny and so touching and so intense and so fun all at once?! That fight scene choreography... Damn! 5/5!
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 02:18 PM   #11
CyberCubed
Overlord

Nice issue but something about the way Mikey and Splinter was handled seemed a bit off. Michelangelo's "Screw you" clearly meant he was just running with emotion and didn't know what to do (he flat out had no real plans where to take the kids and he was making it up as he went along), and while Splinter of course had to be harsh with him, it didn't make sense why the Turtles all acted like Mikey had this "master plan."

The way Splinter acted with Leonardo in the beginning of the issue also didn't really correlate to the end with his discussion with Leo. And in the end...nothing was really accomplished? The kids just went back to the Foot, the only difference was Splinter said the kids had the option to choose if they want to become Foot Soldiers or not, and I'm sure at least half of them will choose to.

I dunno, something about the conclusion to this issue felt a bit off or rushed to me. I understand where they were going with the story though. Sometimes I also feel as if the writers can't quite decide if they want Splinter to truly be strict with his sons or a caring father, as it's the exact opposite of the way he acted toward them in the first 50 issues.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 02:57 PM   #12
Igglet

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Nice issue but something about the way Mikey and Splinter was handled seemed a bit off. Michelangelo's "Screw you" clearly meant he was just running with emotion and didn't know what to do (he flat out had no real plans where to take the kids and he was making it up as he went along), and while Splinter of course had to be harsh with him, it didn't make sense why the Turtles all acted like Mikey had this "master plan."

The way Splinter acted with Leonardo in the beginning of the issue also didn't really correlate to the end with his discussion with Leo. And in the end...nothing was really accomplished? The kids just went back to the Foot, the only difference was Splinter said the kids had the option to choose if they want to become Foot Soldiers or not, and I'm sure at least half of them will choose to.

I dunno, something about the conclusion to this issue felt a bit off or rushed to me. I understand where they were going with the story though. Sometimes I also feel as if the writers can't quite decide if they want Splinter to truly be strict with his sons or a caring father, as it's the exact opposite of the way he acted toward them in the first 50 issues.
I have to disagree here. What I got from the whole "master plan" thing was that Leo assumed that Mikey was going to try to make Splinter come to his senses through other measures which ended up paying off. While I can see that it's a little too convenient, I did like that. Leo, being the leader of the team, knowing when to put trust in his brothers. You can notice that the other turtles didn't really think Mikey planned this through, but they put their trust in Leo.

I don't really see the problem with how Splinter's been acting. As a matter of fact, I'd argue that it's done pretty well. He's pretty much been openly defied by his own sons on several occasions, it's quite reasonable for him to be displeased seeing as he has to run a clan of ninjas which are arguably the biggest powerhouse in the city at the moment. And I don't think it's so much the writers not knowing whether Splinter should act like a father or a master, but Splinter himself being in a dilemma over that. It's definitely something that the issue implies.

And honestly, I really wouldn't be so sure about half of the kids choosing to join the Foot Clan, that sounds a bit over the top, but even if so, then that means the other half don't. If not for this, they wouldn't have had a choice. And on top of that, Clan Hamato will be the ones teaching them how to fight until they've come of age. If they were taught by the Foot, they'd be trained into assassins. So, it really does matter.
Old 10-25-2018, 03:00 PM   #13
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

"We all know Mike, he'll talk him down, it's what he does best"

[It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia theme]
Old 10-25-2018, 03:02 PM   #14
Igglet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post

https://66.media.tumblr.com/3f200136...ylgo2_1280.png
God damn it, that caught me off-guard.

Could've also gone with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag1o3koTLWM
Old 10-25-2018, 03:03 PM   #15
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post

https://66.media.tumblr.com/3f200136...ylgo2_1280.png
Well, that's the "down" part.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 03:32 PM   #16
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

"That had to be the stupidest and most brilliant thing I have ever seen!" -Donatello

Mike stood up to Splinter and brought about positive change? Jaw dropping awesome!

However, why not bring the kids back to the orphanage Rat King abducted them from?
Old 10-25-2018, 03:37 PM   #17
Technogeek29
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
"That had to be the stupidest and most brilliant thing I have ever seen!" -Donatello

Mike stood up to Splinter and brought about positive change? Jaw dropping awesome!

However, why not bring the kids back to the orphanage Rat King abducted them from?
Triceraton attack tore it down my guess it was already on it's last legs and that was the straw that broke the camel's back.
Old 10-25-2018, 03:52 PM   #18
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technogeek29 View Post
Triceraton attack tore it down my guess it was already on it's last legs and that was the straw that broke the camel's back.
What happened to the orphange adminstrator(s)?

I am waiting for #89 to come out and then I will reread #67 on. Some details like this can get lost in the shuffle.
Old 10-27-2018, 12:31 AM   #19
Ninjinister
無問題

I feel like the "SCREW YOU!" panel needs to be a reaction image.
Old 10-27-2018, 11:35 AM   #20
LevyB
New Recruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenOne View Post
How can an issue be so dramatic and so funny and so touching and so intense and so fun all at once?! That fight scene choreography... Damn! 5/5!
My thoughts exactly - such good flow in the art and character beats. After months of build-up and friction to finally see Micky go ”Screw This!”...pure, classic, clean writing. It's totally changing the family power dynamic.

I wasn't gonna pick up the Donnie Macro, but I might now - if it's as good as this, I have to read it. Can't wait to see what Sophie Campbell brings to the table with Leo.
LevyB is offline   Reply With Quote