The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Rise of the TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 11-07-2019, 11:09 PM   #1
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

This is the best TMNT animated series in terms of animation

I been binging this show for the past month and while the writing isn't the best I do think in terms of animation its second to none when it comes to the animated series. Does it mean its fluid 24/7, not really it does do the anime thing where 80% of the animation is meh but we do get Sakuga scenes once an episode, however the amount of passion to each frame of animation is astounding. While again its not fluid there are a lot of funny and inventive ways the animators do to give every frame personality.

Take this still for example.
Spoiler:

I mean look at the composition you wouldn't need to watch the series and you would know who is in charge.

Or this I mean look at that camera work and perspective.

https://twitter.com/rottmntsakuga/st...27534650122240

Spoiler:

Fluid character acting.

Spoiler:

So yeah ROTTMNT is basically if you get Trigger to animate an episode of TMNT.

Spoiler:

Last edited by PApagreg; 11-09-2019 at 08:00 AM.
PApagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 11:23 PM   #2
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I agree, just watching the intro even is a blast from start to finish.

Its definetly the most colourful tmnt show out there and action scenes especially are fantastic.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 12:55 AM   #3
TommyT
Banned

It’s a bit late for praise. Glad this trash is getting binned.
TommyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 12:59 AM   #4
Sugilita
Random Punk

Talking Animation

Quote:
Originally Posted by PApagreg View Post
I been binging this show for the past month and while the writing isn't the best I do think in terms of animation its second to none when it comes to the animated series. Does it mean its fluid 24/7, not really it does do the anime thing where 80% of the animation is meh while and we get Sakuga scenes once an episode, however the amount of passion to each frame of animation is astounding. While again its not fluid there are a lot of funny and inventive ways the animators do to give every frame personality.

Take this still for example.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EHBU0z-X...jpg&name=small

I mean look at the composition you wouldn't need to watch the series and you would know who is in charge.

Or this I mean look at that camera work and perspective.

https://twitter.com/rottmntsakuga/st...27534650122240

So yeah ROTTMNT is basically if you get Trigger to animate an episode of TMNT.
True, the best animation and the facial expressions of the characters are perfect. You can tell what each character is thinking. I love the details they put in the facial expressions.
Old 11-08-2019, 01:07 AM   #5
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Have we reached the battered wives' hour of the retrospect?

I'm sorry. I'll back away.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 06:07 AM   #6
CyberCubed
Overlord

Good animation alone can’t save a show if the writing is poor. I will say it is admit is is animated well at times.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 07:30 AM   #7
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyT View Post
It’s a bit late for praise. Glad this trash is getting binned.
I thought they were gonna reveal Shredder or something.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 09:00 AM   #8
IMJ
Emperor

I think it's absolutely cool and fine if people honestly like the animation. But honestly, I can't wrap my head around enjoying it at all, let alone the statement that the Rise is the best animated TMNT so far. That statement almost sounds like shill reporting or access media support.

But, if this thread is an honest observation by a couple of fans, that's completely cool. I liked Aeon Flux. I got a buddy who thinks I'm nuts for it.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 09:08 AM   #9
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post

TMNT came home drunk and belligerent. Make sure dinner is hot, Andrew, and keep your trap shut.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:23 AM   #10
AquaParade
Banned

I do appreciate the animation example you've cited. Almost does make me want to watch past the first episode.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 09:34 AM   #11
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
I do appreciate the animation example you've cited. Almost does make me want to watch past the first episode.
I think that it's even more damning to the show that something as amazing and high quality as Batman / TMNT came out during it's airtime.

TMNT 2012 would've surfed with that wave without a problem, but Batman/TMNT juxtaposed against Rise completely.

I'm not trying to hijack the thread by crapping on Rise, but it invited the convo and it's a good convo with some interesting points so far.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 09:45 AM   #12
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post

Nah its more like appreciating your artistic son when you notice he is getting money from drawing commissioned art.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
let alone the statement that the Rise is the best animated TMNT so far. That statement almost sounds like shill reporting or access media support.
Well animated series so far and to compare it to FW or 2k3 its at least second best(though I think its better than 2k12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
Honestly that's the tip of the iceberg if you want to see more check out the twitter user rottmntsakuga

https://twitter.com/rottmntsakuga

Or just check out their tag at Sakuga Booru

https://www.sakugabooru.com/post?pag..._ninja_turtles

Last edited by PApagreg; 11-08-2019 at 10:45 AM.
PApagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 09:46 AM   #13
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Okay, so we're actually just talking in terms of the visuals... I can agree there places where it looks nice, in the moments that it actually wants to look fluid.

That said...it really does far too much of that choppy, jumpy frame skipping too often that just kills it for me in animation. Especially when used for bypassing a walk cycle. Annoys me and feels lazy when animation jumps frames (including some obvious loops of them) in a way that I feel really only belongs in GIF animation clips online. (But hey... I guess 'Rise' makes GIF creation pretty effortless.)

But it's one of the reasons that most anime bugs me as well, so in the end it's less about 'Rise' itself and must more about a difference of opinion on animation tastes and not a style I like for the TMNT.

Honestly, if put to a vote (and 2012 excluded being a different medium), 2003 (at least most seasons) would have my vote for fluidity and detail.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 10:03 AM   #14
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Okay, so we're actually just talking in terms of the visuals... I can agree there places where it looks nice, in the moments that it actually wants to look fluid.

That said...it really does far too much of that choppy, jumpy frame skipping too often that just kills it for me in animation. Especially when used for bypassing a walk cycle. Annoys me and feels lazy when animation jumps frames (including some obvious loops of them) in a way that I feel really only belongs in GIF animation clips online. (But hey... I guess 'Rise' makes GIF creation pretty effortless.)

But it's one of the reasons that most anime bugs me as well, so in the end it's less about 'Rise' itself and must more about a difference of opinion on animation tastes and not a style I like for the TMNT.
Fair enough like I said before this show is great when it comes to perspective and composition so the jumpy frames don't bother me as much and seeing how we get one great animated scene per episode is actually kind of a feat imo. Also off topic but check out Mao Mao, that seems to be something you enjoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Honestly, if put to a vote (and 2012 excluded being a different medium), 2003 (at least most seasons) would have my vote for fluidity and detail.
As much as I love 2k3 its kinda bland for me in the animation department, its not bad but there isn't a lot of interesting things about it.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:23 AM   #15
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Rise is amaziiiiing, and not just the stellar animation.

the usage of fluid animation and strong key poses is a absolute animator eye candy to watch.
Great use of composition and striking visuals. And it's fun, the animation can alternate from serious to comedic on a dime.
And non-sakuga scenes still are great to watch as they really give us some expressive characters.
The show really fires from all cylinders and delivers.

And Donnie's eyebrows are the best
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 11:40 AM   #16
Diorm
Hench Mutant

Yeah the animation is great and all, but I'm sick of seeing the Ren face (from Ren & Stimpy). First time was funny, but now they are all doing it in each episodes...

And the animation syle seems to change at time too.
The episode with the demoliton derby was good but the next one with the dogtag had some weird faces again with wacky animation. It's like it's not the same person directing each episodes (didnt watch the credits)
Diorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 12:31 PM   #17
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diorm View Post
Yeah the animation is great and all, but I'm sick of seeing the Ren face (from Ren & Stimpy). First time was funny, but now they are all doing it in each episodes...

And the animation syle seems to change at time too.
The episode with the demoliton derby was good but the next one with the dogtag had some weird faces again with wacky animation. It's like it's not the same person directing each episodes (didnt watch the credits)
I mean considering that TV tends to have different directors per episodes that's pretty much the case, Abe Audish directed the former and Alan Wan directed the latter.
Old 11-08-2019, 12:38 PM   #18
Diorm
Hench Mutant

Oh so Alan Wan is the one with the weird animation and wacky face. Gotcha.

The problem is that normally, you try to not make it obvious to the watcher that there were different directors. Here, it doesnt fly. And I'm usualy bad at noticing it in other shows.
Diorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 12:44 PM   #19
CyberCubed
Overlord

It’s a tumblr thread

Where are the likes
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 12:46 PM   #20
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diorm View Post

The problem is that normally, you try to not make it obvious to the watcher that there were different directors. Here, it doesnt fly. And I'm usualy bad at noticing it in other shows.
Usually it kinda depends there are some directors/animators who try not to stand out too much and there are others that just leave their signature so to speak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
It’s a tumblr thread

Where are the likes
Its actually a Twitter thread.