The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 06-13-2012, 12:54 AM   #41
Cowabunga Carl
Mad Scientist

Where did Tom state there wouldn't be a 5th turtle? I mean I'm not saying that I want one, but I'm not opposed to the idea.

Anyway how do you guys think he will work the Utroms in to the narrative of SotO?
Cowabunga Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:43 AM   #42
Luzmagica
A Magic Light Dudette!

WOW!!! WOW!!! Looks so awesome!!!!! Cant wait to read it! Nice!!!!!! Cool!!!!!!
Old 06-13-2012, 06:05 AM   #43
Plasticplayhouse
the gray ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hob View Post
I think if they are ever think of doing an Elseworld title they should just go straight TPB with them. Don't make them part of the monthly series.

Ross's project has me excited. I'm really curious to see how he pulls everything together.
yeah kinda like what they did with the Shell Shocked book. i agree that would be the best route.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:58 PM   #44
Sophie Campbell
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

wow, i'm so happy with all the support and interest from you guys, thanks so much!! it's truly appreciated.

i was expecting more 50/50, like half interested and encouraging, and half uninterested or dismissive because of my weird redesigns and particularly my 5th/girl Turtle, but both here and on deviantart the vast majority has been positive. it's very encouraging!

i hope i can make this work next year and pull it all together. years ago i used to self-publish mini-comics between projects but i haven't done that in a while because my schedule's filled up so much, so i've been wanting a comic to do just for the pure fun of it, something that isn't professional and without any pressure, and this TMNT comic would be the perfect thing. i'm thinking about registering "secretsoftheooze.com" or maybe i should just run the comic on my blog, i don't know.

i got the story and characters outlined and i know what the ending is going to be, and i'm working out character arcs for each Turtle. and right now i'm doing Shredder sketches!

anyway, thanks again for the support, you guys!! much appreciated, as always.
Sophie Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:17 PM   #45
Kendamu
Sewerhead

If this were something official and in-universe, the fifth Turtle would've made me go, "Blech!" However, in fanmade stuff or in stuff that's out-of-continuity I'm not nearly as strict on redesigns and whatnot.
Kendamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:58 PM   #46
Sophie Campbell
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goongasnootch View Post
If this were something official and in-universe, the fifth Turtle would've made me go, "Blech!" However, in fanmade stuff or in stuff that's out-of-continuity I'm not nearly as strict on redesigns and whatnot.
i know what you mean. but even though my thing is a fan project i was still expecting way more people to make fun of it or roll their eyes at my 5th Turtle or most to just ignore me and not even comment at all since it's not official.

as a fan myself i know fans can be super picky even with fan-made goof-off stuff, so i didn't know what to expect, especially since a lot of people watching me on deviantart probably do it for my pretty straightforward traditional TMNT art. or maybe all the people who hated the drawing just stayed quiet and didn't comment.

in any case, i appreciate any sort of attention at all, just the fact that there's even a thread here about this blows my mind.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:55 AM   #47
Cryomancer
Mad Scientist

Always liked your TMNT work, so I'm looking forward to checking this out. If anything the only part weirding me out is that for natural markings those masks look very intentional, haha. They are neat designs though so it's cool regardless.

I'd much rather see a new take on things anyway, instead of the same old stuff every time. And since it's unofficial anyway, anything goes! So yeah have a good time and do what you wanna do.

Final Boss of translation group Opentrain.
We do videogame comics and TMNT stuff.
http://opentrain.theyear199x.org/
Cryomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 01:56 PM   #48
Kendamu
Sewerhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Campbell View Post
i know what you mean. but even though my thing is a fan project i was still expecting way more people to make fun of it or roll their eyes at my 5th Turtle or most to just ignore me and not even comment at all since it's not official.

as a fan myself i know fans can be super picky even with fan-made goof-off stuff, so i didn't know what to expect, especially since a lot of people watching me on deviantart probably do it for my pretty straightforward traditional TMNT art. or maybe all the people who hated the drawing just stayed quiet and didn't comment.

in any case, i appreciate any sort of attention at all, just the fact that there's even a thread here about this blows my mind.
I tend to ignore a lot of fanfiction as well, having only read two or three TMNT fanfics total back between the Image series cancellation and the start of Volume 4. The thing that probably sells it most for me, like with MNT Gaiden is the medium: comics. If your story were to mostly be a novel-type thing like most fanfiction, I'd probably ignore it.
Kendamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 12:50 PM   #49
RskimB
Hench Mutant

Quote:
wow, i'm so happy with all the support and interest from you guys, thanks so much!! it's truly appreciated.

i was expecting more 50/50, like half interested and encouraging, and half uninterested or dismissive because of my weird redesigns and particularly my 5th/girl Turtle, but both here and on deviantart the vast majority has been positive. it's very encouraging!

i hope i can make this work next year and pull it all together. years ago i used to self-publish mini-comics between projects but i haven't done that in a while because my schedule's filled up so much, so i've been wanting a comic to do just for the pure fun of it, something that isn't professional and without any pressure, and this TMNT comic would be the perfect thing. i'm thinking about registering "secretsoftheooze.com" or maybe i should just run the comic on my blog, i don't know.

i got the story and characters outlined and i know what the ending is going to be, and i'm working out character arcs for each Turtle. and right now i'm doing Shredder sketches!

anyway, thanks again for the support, you guys!! much appreciated, as always.
Although I'm a little nervous about the inclusion of a 5th turtle, I'm super confident in your abilities and anxious to see how everything will play out. The fact that youre one of my favorite TMNT artists and youre crafting something supposedly, "graphic novel" length has me itching with excitement. Good luck Ross, hope you have a tremendous amount of fun working on this project!!
Old 06-28-2012, 09:42 PM   #50
Cowabunga Carl
Mad Scientist

Ross I can't say enough about how excited I am about this. Out of the new stuff you are one of my favorites. I'm just really stoked that your doing this. I know right now you're doing this as a fan project, but here is to hoping that IDW decides to collect it and print it.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:55 PM   #51
Cowabunga Carl
Mad Scientist

Just wondering if there was any updates about this? If you'd share a few sketches of things maybe?
Old 09-03-2012, 01:46 PM   #52
Sophie Campbell
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

thanks for the interest, Hob!! much appreciated! i do have some character line-ups i've been working on, but i'm holding off on posting them right now until i iron them out a bit more. maybe soon!

is there a way to move this thread into the Fan Works section? it's an honor to have this thread in the official comics section, but maybe my fan-comic baloney doesn't belong here? :\
Old 09-03-2012, 01:54 PM   #53
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Gotta admire the man's humility...a fan comic by an official staffer. It's a tough call.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:51 PM   #54
nelodiavolo
Thug

This thread has gained my interest for sure! Ross, your art style is very fitting for turtles and I think many of us are anticipating this fan release. Go ninja, go ninja, GO!

Oh and I checked out your earlier work as a kid. One word. Awesome! I wish I knew where my mom stored my old drawings...
nelodiavolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:28 PM   #55
Mewzard
Hench Mutant

Quote:
thanks for the interest, Hob!! much appreciated! i do have some character line-ups i've been working on, but i'm holding off on posting them right now until i iron them out a bit more. maybe soon!

is there a way to move this thread into the Fan Works section? it's an honor to have this thread in the official comics section, but maybe my fan-comic baloney doesn't belong here? :\
Maybe you could do your comic at your own leisure, and if you think it's up for publication, just let them do a release afterwards. That way, less pressure.

Otherwise, I look forward to reading it online.

As for "Fan Works", I agree that it's a tossup. Not "Official", but you did do work on the series. It's like Andrew's comic Odyssey; unofficial, yet Jim Lawson's doing a lot of the art, so it's got that official feel.

But hey, it's up to you as to how you view it. I just can't wait regardless.
Mewzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:54 PM   #56
Cowabunga Carl
Mad Scientist

Your Leo issue is my favorite art in the whole sereis. I really wish you were the monthly artist.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:59 PM   #57
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:

Hey, Ross, I just started the thread because I thought it was a legit news story in TMNT comic book history. I recommend you just start your own personal thread in the Fan Works section if you want to start a Drome page for sharing updates. I think that's generally how things work.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:13 AM   #58
Sophie Campbell
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Hey, Ross, I just started the thread because I thought it was a legit news story in TMNT comic book history. I recommend you just start your own personal thread in the Fan Works section if you want to start a Drome page for sharing updates. I think that's generally how things work.
oh, cool, that's a good idea. i might do that! i'm still kinda new around here so i don't know what the typical etiquette is... i hope i'm not coming off like i don't appreciate you making this thread here in the first place, i do and thank you, i just thought maybe some people might get sick of it because it's not an officially-sanctioned TMNT thing and i don't want to overstay my welcome or whatever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mewzard View Post
Maybe you could do your comic at your own leisure, and if you think it's up for publication, just let them do a release afterwards. That way, less pressure.
that's what i was planning on, i'll be running it on my blog or my deviantart page or something. i'll be trying to do a page a week but it's totally a leisure thing, just for the fun of it. even if the powers-that-be approached me to publish it i'm not sure that i would say yes. tough to say unless i was confronted with it. in any case thanks for the support!

Quote:
Your Leo issue is my favorite art in the whole sereis. I really wish you were the monthly artist.
thank you as always, Hob!! that means a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelodiavolo View Post
This thread has gained my interest for sure! Ross, your art style is very fitting for turtles and I think many of us are anticipating this fan release. Go ninja, go ninja, GO!

Oh and I checked out your earlier work as a kid. One word. Awesome! I wish I knew where my mom stored my old drawings...
thanks so much!! haha yeah, it was super fun finding my old art. i wish i could find more of it. is there a Childhood TMNT Art thread here? that would be fun. i saw some of Andrew's childhood stuff here, i could go through a whole thread of little kid art and never get bored.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:16 AM   #59
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:

that's what i was planning on, i'll be running it on my blog or my deviantart page or something. i'll be trying to do a page a week but it's totally a leisure thing, just for the fun of it. even if the powers-that-be approached me to publish it i'm not sure that i would say yes. tough to say unless i was confronted with it. in any case thanks for the support!
Having actually done a (short) fan-comic myself, I gotta say that there really is a unique sense of satisfaction of doing something completely out of a love for the property without anybody else's involvement.

Of course, I don't know anything about the sense of satisfaction that comes with getting your work publishing officially.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:33 PM   #60
n-zero
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Anyway how do you guys think he will work the Utroms in to the narrative of SotO?
I read somewhere that the character of Dr. Perry was originally supposed to be an Utrom, but that plot twist was nixed because they thought fans who only knew the cartoon would be convinced that he was Krang, and keep waiting for him to turn on the turtles. TGRI, the company that made the ooze in the movie was based on TCRI, the Utrom-run company that accidentally created the ooze in the mirage comics and 2K3 series.
n-zero is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan comic, fan project