The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 10-17-2018, 07:20 PM   #1
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Superman TV Show Reportedly In Development At The CW

A new report suggests that The CW is considering launching a new Superman TV series. It's claimed that this year's Arrowverse crossover event, Elseworlds, will essentially serve as a backdoor pilot to the show. Its ultimate fate will depend on how viewers respond to the characters in the event.

Tyler Hoechlin was introduced as The CW's Superman back in 2016, when he first appeared as a guest star in Supergirl season 2. The actor was universally praised for his portrayal of the Man of Steel, which seemed to channel the classic Christopher Reeve like no other version seen before. He's set to return in this year's Elseworlds crossover, and will be accompanied by Elizabeth Tulloch as Lois Lane.

According to FandomWire, The CW is treating Elseworlds as a backdoor pilot for a Superman TV series. The CW will be carefully watching how fans and critics alike respond to Hoechlin and Tulloch, assessing whether or not there's sufficient interest in a spinoff. It's a similar approach to the one The CW is believed to be taking with Batwoman, who will be introduced in Elseworlds and is intended to launch her own series.

It's important to note that FandomWire's report is as yet unconfirmed, so at this stage this should only be treated as a rumor. The site's most recent DC TV scoop, the idea of a Batgirl TV series, was essentially debunked. What's more, the outlet does stress that this project is early on in development, and that they're not confident it will come to fruition. At the same time, though, this particular report is a believable one. The CW is clearly interested in expanding its slate of superhero shows, launching Black Lightning last year and considering a Batwoman series. Hoechlin's performance as Superman was tremendously well-received. What's more, the decision to cast Lois Lane expands Superman's world perfectly.

The timing of all this is particularly interesting. Back in 2016, executive producer Andrew Kreisberg was delighted when Warner Bros. gave the green light for Superman to be in just a couple of episodes. That's probably because the studio has traditionally been wary of diluting their brands by running the same characters in films as well as TV shows; Warner's plans for Suicide Squad led to Harley Quinn and her team being pulled from Arrow, for example. However, there have been recent reports that Warner Bros. is pivoting away from Ben Affleck's Batman and Henry Cavill's Superman. So that may well have freed Superman up for the small screen again. Right now, this is just a rumor. If it's correct, then there's a lot riding on the success of the Elseworlds crossover. It will be fascinating to see if The CW can pull it off, considering that their previous Superman show, Smallville, ended only a few years ago.

https://screenrant.com/superman-tv-s...yler-hoechlin/

Last edited by Autbot_Benz; 10-17-2018 at 09:50 PM.
Autbot_Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 09:44 PM   #2
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

~ S o m e b o d y s a v e m e ~
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 02:03 PM   #4
sdp
-

Is this the DCEU we deserve? I can see Batman appearing in the Batwoman show and eventually getting his own show. At this point we'll get Green Lantern in Legends of Tomorrow before the movie.

I'm behind on the DC CW shows, there were just so many with varying quality that i just stopped catching up on them and now I feel overwhelmed.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 02:07 PM   #5
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
It will be fascinating to see if The CW can pull it off, considering that their previous Superman show, Smallville, ended only a few years ago.
#1, Smallville wasn't a Superman show. #2, it would be 8 years since Smallville by the time this show gets off the ground. That's the lion's share of a decade.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 05:06 PM   #6
Leo656
The Franchise

I was gonna say, hasn't it been almost 10 years since that sh*tfest finally ended? Not soon enough, though.

"Supergirl" is lousy, so anything spun out of that is planted in poisoned soil. That Hoechlin guy sucks and that ridiculous costume is the sh*ts. No thanks.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 05:35 PM   #7
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

They should launch this and an actual Batman TV show and a Green Lantern Corps show... then do Crisis on Infinite Earths and merge it all to one Earth with the nonsense elements weeded out.
Old 10-19-2018, 02:25 AM   #9
Leo656
The Franchise

Ehh, I'unno. I bet you they're at least seriously thinking about it.

Otherwise, they'd have to just keep "borrowing" Superman villains and storylines and... well... everything... and slapping a skirt on it. And they're not gonna keep doing THAT forever, right?

Old 10-19-2018, 09:10 AM   #10
ABrown
Banned

For whatever it's worth, in the limited sample size, I found Hoechlin to be a better Superman than Henry Cavill.
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 09:46 AM   #11
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrown View Post
For whatever it's worth, in the limited sample size, I found Hoechlin to be a better Superman than Henry Cavill.
I haven't gotten to his episodes yet (mostly because Supergirl is super exhausting and soul-sucking trying to get through it) but just from a physical standpoint... he looks like the most "alien" Superman we've ever gotten, which I'm not sure if it's a good or bad thing. He's got sort of an Iron Fist season 1 body, too.
Old 10-19-2018, 10:07 AM   #12
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Don't believe anything Umberto Gonzales reports he has a history of fake news reporting on stuff. Dude doesn't even give a source for his report he just says its not happening and nothing to back that up.
Old 10-19-2018, 10:25 AM   #13
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I haven't gotten to his episodes yet (mostly because Supergirl is super exhausting and soul-sucking trying to get through it) but just from a physical standpoint... he looks like the most "alien" Superman we've ever gotten, which I'm not sure if it's a good or bad thing. He's got sort of an Iron Fist season 1 body, too.
Oh, gosh, it's awful. I gave the first few episodes a serious shot and I had to tap out. I dip in and out but it's only gotten worse from what I've gathered.

At one point they do a Superman/Supergirl fight and it's the most horribly-choreographed thing you've ever seen. Total piss. I mean, it was bad enough that the point was to make her look way better than him, but it was also shot terribly and was just plain embarrassing.

Dude's lame. Tom Welling's on the rock-bottom of my Superman list, but this dude is one space above. I guess Kirk Alyn would have to go right above him just by process of elimination, but still. I'm not trying to insult Kirk Alyn; he's WAY better than this guy. It's just that he had the misfortune of being the first live-action Superman, and almost everyone else afterwards was better. But he's definitely miles ahead of Whatsisname and Whozits.

Keep in mind, that doesn't count either of the guys who played Superman in the live-action musical, because I refuse to acknowledge it.

Old 10-19-2018, 02:40 PM   #14
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

I like Tyler's Clark more than I do his Superman. He doesn't have any real presence when wearing the suit (though wearing that suit doesn't help) but he's at least got the mild mannered thing down.

Seriously, why isn't Dean Cain on Supergirl more often than he is? I thought he was going to be a constant father figure when he was cast. What a waste.

And whoever they cast as Lex Luthor got pretty lucky with timing. Rosenbaum gave us a performance for the ages, but then BvS gave us Eisenberg - anything following that is gonna look good by comparison.
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 04:59 PM   #15
Leo656
The Franchise

Truthfully, I'd rather watch Jesse all day than Rosenbaum even once.

I can't stomach ANYTHING about Smallville. To me, everything about that show tastes like black licorice.

Old 10-19-2018, 05:03 PM   #16
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post

I can't stomach ANYTHING about Smallville. To me, everything about that show tastes like black licorice.
Yeah, I made it even less far into Smallville than Supergirl. 2 or 3 episodes of Smallville vs. a handful of Supergirls. So, so bad.
Old 10-19-2018, 05:13 PM   #17
Leo656
The Franchise

When it started, I gave it a fair shot. I knew it wasn't gonna be like the comics - everything should always be like the comics - but I figured, "Eh, why not?" The Monster of the Week thing got old fast, and the cast just didn't elevate the material in any way, so I gave up around the end of Season 1. Then, when I heard that it WAS gonna try and adapt some comic book stuff, I said, "Well, clearly they're desperate, now, doing the exact thing they swore they'd never, ever do, but hey... maybe, right?"

And then the stuff they did when they borrowed from the comics was somehow WORSE than when they were just plain making stuff up!

"Smallville" was what happens when a bunch of people who think Superman is stupid try and "fix" it, so it's presentable to OTHER people who think Superman is stupid. It never shocks me that so many of its fans are like, "Well I NEVER cared about Superman before, but..." Like yeah, and you still don't.

I just can't even. I'd rather watch that "Birds of Prey" show. 'Member that?

Old 10-19-2018, 08:45 PM   #18
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Old 10-19-2018, 08:47 PM   #19
Leo656
The Franchise

Nooooot getting into a "thing" with you. Take that sh*t somewhere else.

Old 10-19-2018, 08:50 PM   #20
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

haha relax - just meant as a good-hearted jab

Smallville sure as sh*t isnt everyones cup of tea and I get that. I just have always heard Rosenbaum was the one universally praised thing about it. Likewise with the DCEU, who has it's avid followers, all seem to point to Lex as the one thing they didn't like.

Tags
supercuck, truth justice and sjw way