The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: How do you prefer Shredder's brother?
Oroku Nagi (Tang Shen involvment) 8 44.44%
Kazuo Saki (Tokyo policeman) 5 27.78%
Hamato Yoshi as Oroku Saki's adoptive brother 3 16.67%
having at least two brothers in the same universe 2 11.11%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-22-2017, 09:55 AM   #1
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

How do you prefer Shredder's brother?

Again, how do you prefer Shredder's brother?
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 09:56 AM   #2
Tetsu Deinonychus
The Iron Dinosaur

Oroku Nagi. He was part of such a stunning origin story, and I like the idea that Shredder is out for revenge too.
Tetsu Deinonychus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 10:42 AM   #3
neatoman
Emperor

Nagi of course
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 11:25 AM   #4
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Oddly enough, I like Kazuo because it makes for such an interesting contrast. Nagi- as much as I can tell- is just more of the same as with Saki. In that origin, he was the jealous rival that raped and killed Tang Shen, thus precipitating Yoshi's retaliation- which was well-deserved. I have to wonder what Saki's rationalization for his own BROTHER'S behavior was that necessitated taking revenge on Yoshi for seeking justice when Nagi was CLEARLY in the wrong. Japanese culture is all about family honor, and Nagi would have certainly dishonored his own family by his actions, so Yoshi's revenge was justified and even the Oroku family should have been okay with that. So Saki wanting to avenge him- when he himself was so much younger and knew so little of the circumstances when it happened but woyld have been told and understood it later when he got older- was both pointless and would have been seen as further dishonor to his family. Yoshi's killing of Nagi would be considered an honor-killing. Saki killing Yoshi was not. (Especially since his brother being a rapist and murderer was already a stain on the family!)

Kazuo on the other hand makes an interesting foil for the evil of Saki. In that version Saki (and apparently his mother) is a bad seed in the family, and it makes the Oroku family moke interesting. I also like the IDW veesion, and Nick as well to an extent, for having the Oroku and Hamato families tied directing through being adopted brothers or part of the same clan growing up together. That makes sense for a ninja clan.

I have a head-canon where the three origins combine a la 2k3 where Saki not only framed Yoshi like in OT but also killed Shen out of jealousy and also turned on the Foot clan leader and took over, ousting Yoshi in the process. Kazuo became a cop to bring his criminal brother to justice and restore his family's honor.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 02:26 PM   #5
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
In that origin, he was the jealous rival that raped and killed Tang Shen.
Ummm... been a while since you've read #1?
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 02:38 PM   #6
neatoman
Emperor

... I guess the rape is implied but it's never flat out said, I'm pretty sure it just says he beat her up, so even that is kind of wrong.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 10:32 PM   #7
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Actually never read the first issue- just going by what others have stated about the origin. But given his apparent obsession according to canon, I'd say that even if only implied it makes little difference. As neatoman said beating her to death is still a dispicable act in itself- and dishonorable to attack and kill a helpless woman who is already spoken for, regardless. So- yeah.....

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 10:52 PM   #8
Cryomancer
Mad Scientist

........dead.

Final Boss of translation group Opentrain.
We do videogame comics and TMNT stuff.
http://opentrain.theyear199x.org/
Cryomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 11:13 PM   #9
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Actually never read the first issue- just going by what others have stated about the origin. But given his apparent obsession according to canon, I'd say that even if only implied it makes little difference. As neatoman said beating her to death is still a dispicable act in itself- and dishonorable to attack and kill a helpless woman who is already spoken for, regardless. So- yeah.....
Neatoman didn't write that Nagi beat Shen to death... Yoshi killed Nagi before he could kill Shen.

The Oroku family (and Shen's iirc) blamed Yoshi for what happened since the pair fled Japan after Yoshi had slain Nagi leaving little to no explanation, and killing another member of the Foot seems to be punishable by Seppukku which Yoshi avoids by fleeing to America.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 10:43 AM   #10
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Quote:
Kazuo on the other hand makes an interesting foil for the evil of Saki. In that version Saki (and apparently his mother) is a bad seed in the family, and it makes the Oroku family moke interesting. I also like the IDW version, and Nick as well to an extent, for having the Oroku and Hamato families tied directing through being adopted brothers or part of the same clan growing up together. That makes sense for a ninja clan.

I have a head-canon where the three origins combine a la 2k3 where Saki not only framed Yoshi like in OT but also killed Shen out of jealousy and also turned on the Foot clan leader and took over, ousting Yoshi in the process. Kazuo became a cop to bring his criminal brother to justice and restore his family's honor.
I prefer this as well. Plus, the fact that Kazuo is a "modern man", where Saki is more "traditional", but they still have areas where their lines blur - such as their beliefs in honor, though they might not always agree.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:58 PM   #11
pferreira
Foot Elite

Kazuo because the contrast between how both brothers lived their lives is very well done. It goes to show the life Oroku could have had if his live had turned into the same path his brother had (no Shredder). The fact that his brother coming from the Saki bloodline didn't follow the family route to crime is interesting to me even if it makes him an outcast to his family.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 01:09 PM   #12
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
... I guess the rape is implied but it's never flat out said, I'm pretty sure it just says he beat her up, so even that is kind of wrong.
Both Peter and Kevin have separately said that there was no rape. None.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote