The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 02-26-2014, 04:09 PM   #141
Tazi
Mad Scientist

So... Conspiracy likely happens at the same time as #31, since Leo has the blue bandanna already. Or, maybe after #32, since there's no Alopex. I guess will find out about it next month.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:48 PM   #142
Joey Kamikaze
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
You do two books per bag too? It actually works out better, since Old Hob share a bag with #23 and they take place concurrently. I can be OCD sometimes lol.
Yeah, I always double-bag, with a backing board dividing the issues. Never saw any reason not to. My comic box is getting pretty darn full as it is.
Joey Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:54 PM   #143
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazi View Post
So... Conspiracy likely happens at the same time as #31, since Leo has the blue bandanna already. Or, maybe after #32, since there's no Alopex. I guess will find out about it next month.
Yeah, I just chaulked the continuity errors up as irreconcilable.

X-Files/TMNT can't take place "during" #31 because of April's haircut. She has the long hair in X-Files/TMNT and reveals her new short do' on page 11 of #31. X-Files/TMNT can't take place between pages 10 and 11 of #31 because not enough time is passing (April is at the library while Don and Casey work on the motorcycle and Splinter gives Leo his blue bandana back).

There just isn't any "no prize" to reconcile the discontinuity. It is what it is.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 05:37 PM   #144
ToTheNines
[sic]

Kinda wish they would have just done Conspiracy with no bandana on Leo. I know they try to be easy on potential new readers for these crossovers, but that might be just the kind of thing that makes them curious enough to pick up the main ongoing.

Either way. Infestation 2 has never been mentioned since its printing, so it's not a big deal to skip this one.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:14 AM   #145
Toby Barrett
Stone Warrior

Personally, I just don't read these crossovers as part of continuity. Infestation completely broke up the flow of Enemies Old, Enemies New, and this one is just riddled with continuity problems.
Just easier for me to consider them "extra" stories that don't really mean anything in the end.
Toby Barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:22 AM   #146
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

They certainly seem to be written as "optional", which is why the main narrative never references them. They're just supposed to be fun diversions and that's perfectly cool.

Infestation 2: TMNT, in my opinion, was a great little story and with "Enemies Old, Enemies New" starting out with some disjoined one-shots, I didn't think it disrupted the story flow any more than inserting the Micros where they belong between chapters.

The Conspiracy one-shot, though, was just a mess that I'd sooner ignore, personally. So to each their own when it comes to these crossover events (which is a nice luxury, when you think about it).
Old 02-27-2014, 02:43 PM   #147
Joey Kamikaze
Stone Warrior

Yeah, I like Infestation 2 because it keeps the spotlight on Don after his micro and it makes sense for there to be a little break between issues while Hob's trying to find the Turtle lair. The heavy emphasis on continuity in the IDW book has meant there aren't a lot of one-off adventures in this universe. Not to mention it was just a plain fun story. Personally I feel like it fit pretty well into the ongoing series.

Conspiracy... I could take it or leave it. It feels like a "just because" cross-over.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:46 PM   #148
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Curnow View Post
hey guys,
For my own benefit, I was looking on the last year of continuity. I think Villain Micro #4: Alopex, fits best after #24. So the following read order:

TMNT #24
Alopex
Karai
TMNT#25

My thinking is that Alopex is pretty readily participating in the actions of #22, and #23/24 happen shortly after that. There is a period of time between #24 and #25, where the events of the Alopex micro could plausibly take place (traveling to Alaska), and in #25, we see her start to question the Foot with Karai, something that would make sense to happen shortly after the events of her Micro.

Anyone see any reason that I might be missing that contradicts that placement?
Finally got to this batch of issues, and I'd say this placement makes enough sense for the meat of the Alopex issue, but if I'm nitpicking it probably works best as a pre-City Fall issue.

Mainly because Alopex is sure to bring a katana for her opponent and envision herself fighting Leonardo with the rest of the turtles in the opening sequence as well as on the last page. Granted, it's super easy to ignore, but if you think about it... it doesn't make sense considering Dark Leo had made his debut in #24.

Also, the longer Alopex was plotting Shredder's demise, the cooler she is.

Opinions?
Old 03-09-2014, 12:10 AM   #149
Joey Kamikaze
Stone Warrior

Just finished my re-read of the series thus far a couple hours ago. It's getting to be quite the undertaking.

I agree the Alopex micro seems fine between #24 and #25 except for the bit about the katana/Leo. That stuck out to me too. I'd say it still works because the katana is such a "default" ninja weapon (at least in comics), except she specifically imagines pre-Foot Leo wielding it. Maybe Alopex is as accepting of Leo's place in the Foot as Karai seems to be. She does express annoyance to Karai about them having become second-stringers to Shredder's new chunin...

Still, I'm satisfied the current placement. It keeps the issues in numerical order... which might be picky of me, but I like that. It also puts the Karai and Alopex micros back to back where I feel they work together thematically--here's Shredder's two most powerful allies outside Kitsune, and they're both rebelling against him in their own ways, both doing so because of Shredder's hubris and disregard for other people/lifeforms... and during the aftermath of Shredder's biggest victory at that point in the series (turning Leo to the Foot). But it could go in either spot and admittedly if it was Villains #3 instead of #4 I might be more apt to place it between #21 and #22.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:42 PM   #150
Joey Kamikaze
Stone Warrior

Okay... Now that Utrom Empire is complete I'm wondering about bagging/reading order. Call me a nerd.

The first two issues and most of #3 seem to happen concurrently with the Northampton arc. I was happy putting it after #29 or #30. However, the very end of #3 seems to take place slightly after #32. Which throws a wrench in the works because the story on Burnow Island takes place over the course of a night and (in #3) the morning after.

So basically... does most of Utrom Empire take place during the night before #31-32, with the morning after being the same day Koya attacks and the turtles leave Northampton?
Old 03-19-2014, 10:46 PM   #151
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

All of the current day events on Burnow Island take place around or right before TMNT #32. However the Turtle pages from Utrom Empire take place earlier— they are not happening at the same time as the Burnow island sequences. We're just telling that aspect of the story at the same time, because it makes the most sense to tell them in the context of Utrom Empire.

It doesn't fit perfectly due to this story telling method, but i'd put Utrom Empire #1 & 2 between TMNT #30 and #31, and then Utrom #3 after TMNT #32.
Bobby Curnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 06:13 PM   #152
NYShell
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Curnow View Post
All of the current day events on Burnow Island take place around or right before TMNT #32. However the Turtle pages from Utrom Empire take place earlier— they are not happening at the same time as the Burnow island sequences. We're just telling that aspect of the story at the same time, because it makes the most sense to tell them in the context of Utrom Empire.

It doesn't fit perfectly due to this story telling method, but i'd put Utrom Empire #1 & 2 between TMNT #30 and #31, and then Utrom #3 after TMNT #32.
I'm really happy with everything I'm reading. I still need to pick up #32. Can't wait! That would be awesome if you print my letter in the back of the next issue with the others! Just saying! Anyways, great work!

** LOOKING FOR 2016 SIDESHOW COLLECTIBLES EXCLUSIVE TMNT STATUES (LEO, MIKE, RAPH) **
NYShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 11:35 AM   #153
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

Well, here was how I spaced it out over on my reading order at TMNT Entity.

TMNT #29
Utrom Empire #1
TMNT #30
Utrom Empire #2
X-Files/TMNT: Conspiracy #1
Utrom Empire #3
TMNT #31
TMNT #32

My rationale for some of the placement:

*As Bobby said, the Burnow Island stuff takes place whenever, but it's cut off from the TMNT's narrative save for that e-mail at the end. I'm looking at this in regards to the TMNT's pages in Utrom Empire.

*TMNT #29 ends with Don reading the Fugitoid's journal. He finds the journal in Utrom Empire #1, so Utrom Empire #1 has to take place during TMNT #29.

*Utrom Empire #2 has Don, Raph and Mike just chilling in the barn, so it has to occur before TMNT #31. I put it before Conspiracy, but that's just me.

*Utrom Empire #3 features the TMNT at two different points in their storyline. Page 15 has them chilling in the barn, so it has to be before TMNT #31. Pages 20-22 has them leaving Northampton (and April has her short hair) so those pages have to be after TMNT #32.

That's just how I have it mapped out. The timeline in Utrom Empire is on three different threads (Utrominon, Burnow Island, Northampton) so there isn't a perfect way to just divvy the issues out between the ongoing installments, obviously.

If IDW ever releases an omnibus in a "suggested reading order" as they have with their Transformers comics, I'd recommend having "Northampton" come first and then follow it with "Utrom Empire".
Old 03-25-2014, 05:28 PM   #154
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpengler View Post
TMNT #29
Utrom Empire #1
TMNT #30
Utrom Empire #2
X-Files/TMNT: Conspiracy #1
Utrom Empire #3
TMNT #31
TMNT #32
I currently have:

TMNT #29
Utrom Empire #1
Utrom Empire #2
TMNT #30
Conspiracy: TMNT #1
TMNT #31
TMNT #32
Utrom Empire #3

I put UE 1-2 between 29 and 30 because there is at least a week gap (probably longer) between them. Also, #31 seems to take place the next day since Raph and Alopex are still getting to know each other, Alopex was absent from the Turtle's scene in UE #2, and Koya's reinforcements wouldn't take too long.

Quote:
*Utrom Empire #3 features the TMNT at two different points in their storyline. Page 15 has them chilling in the barn, so it has to be before TMNT #31. Pages 20-22 has them leaving Northampton (and April has her short hair) so those pages have to be after TMNT #32.
No argument there, but I think final scene should take the cake as far as placing the issue chronologically. Like you said, suggested reading order should be Northampton before Utrom Empire, so I have the UE finale after the NH finale.
Old 03-27-2014, 02:17 PM   #155
ToTheNines
[sic]

I won't spoil the X-Files: Conspiracy finale (it was pretty good, pick it up if you haven't), but it essentially rendered everything non-canon. I'm taking it out of my timeline.
Old 03-27-2014, 02:32 PM   #156
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

Yeah, that all sounds about right. I reordered my timeline and clipped Conspiracy (but left a note for those wondering why it wasn't included).
Old 03-27-2014, 02:34 PM   #157
Joey Kamikaze
Stone Warrior

Conspiracy is non-canon, huh? Works for me... means there's no need to explain away the continuity flubs.
Old 05-18-2014, 05:48 PM   #158
Lameonardo
Random Punk

I've just gotten into the IDW run and these reading order lists help a lot with continuity and catching me up. Thanks, guys.
Lameonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:59 PM   #159
psychturtle
Mad Scientist

Same here. Finally got my completed series of IDW. Thanks for all the continuity tips, guys. Really helps.
psychturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:41 AM   #160
HotNunchuckFury
Foot Soldier

I'm re-reading this series now (well the ones I own so far anyway, collecting them as finances allow), but just wanted to say thanks for this timeline. It's an immensely helpful reference and now I know which ones to prioritise buying first....so thank you!
HotNunchuckFury is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
timeline