The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Rise of the TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 09-25-2018, 03:57 PM   #1
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Has April ever beaten up the Turtles over anything?

The TMNT Twitter posted a clip from Rise of the TMNT. Of what appears to be the Turtles accusing April of stealing something from Donnie. She then proceeds to pull out her baseball bat. And its implied that she beat the crap out of them. For accusing her of stealing something.

So I wonder. If there been any moments where April beat the Turtles over something?

This clip from Rise of the TMNT implies that April beats up the Turtles after they accused her of stealing.
https://twitter.com/TMNT/status/1044315612116373504

Its unusual for April to use violence on someone. who is accusing her of something she may or may not have done.
Old 09-25-2018, 04:04 PM   #2
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

That whole clip from twitter in one pic

Old 09-25-2018, 04:39 PM   #3
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Just watched that clip, it was actually pretty funny. And the turtles asking for movie night later, as well as April was a nice touch haha.

That being said, don't recall any other instance of April beating up the turtles.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 05:13 PM   #4
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Not that I know of, until this one took a bat to them and threw them out her window. *sigh*

I mean, they did rudely accuse her, but yeah, I'm not sure that was the right response.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 05:16 PM   #5
Powder
So tired of this place

April is the only thing about this show I dislike.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 07:51 PM   #6
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

She's easily the weakest part of the show for me. The less we see her, the better.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 08:04 PM   #7
Shiro Kame
Foot Clan Mutant Renegade

Glad to see more "protagonist-centered morality". Weren't the turtles her friends in this cartoon?

Shiro Kame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 08:10 PM   #8
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Maybe this show is a message about toxic relationships.

Including the bad decision of not leaving an abuser because they're all you think you have.

Spoiler:
Lord the fanfic this show is gonna inspire.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:24 PM   #9
miru
Mad Scientist

Kill La Kill, much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Maybe this show is a message about toxic relationships.

Including the bad decision of not leaving an abuser because they're all you think you have.

Spoiler:
Lord the fanfic this show is gonna inspire.
Kill La Splinter? Is it a better nickname than The Next Mutation Part Deux?
miru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 10:34 PM   #10
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
She's easily the weakest part of the show for me. The less we see her, the better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
April is the only thing about this show I dislike.
It's ironic people gave 2012 Nick April so much backlash (especially once she got her psychic powers), but now realize that was better than what we have now. Rise's April might as well have been a new character, she's April in name only.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 10:43 PM   #11
miru
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
It's ironic people gave 2012 Nick April so much backlash (especially once she got her psychic powers), but now realize that was better than what we have now. Rise's April might as well have been a new character, she's April in name only.
I agree, AINO is the worst. At least Splinter Kiryuin is a potentially interesting character and harkens way back to Volume 1...
Old 09-25-2018, 11:04 PM   #12
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
I mean yeah, the psychic powers was a bit much at times but outside that, she was still a cool character. Rise's April might as well have been Angel or a female Carter instead, even though I'd still hate this character no matter who she is. When you're worst than PD April, that's a new low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miru View Post
I agree, AINO is the worst. At least Splinter Kiryuin is a potentially interesting character and harkens way back to Volume 1...
It what sense because I don't see it.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 11:15 PM   #13
miru
Mad Scientist

Quote:
I mean yeah, the psychic powers was a bit much at times but outside that, she was still a cool character. Rise's April might as well have been Angel or a female Carter instead, even though I'd still hate this character no matter who she is. When you're worst than PD April, that's a new low.

It what sense because I don't see it.
See here:

http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/sho...2552&styleid=6
Old 09-25-2018, 11:43 PM   #14
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by miru View Post
Kill La Splinter? Is it a better nickname than The Next Mutation Part Deux?
...maybe? Not familiar with that sadly.

Quote:
Oh no, don't worry, that part still sucks. It's just different flavors of sucks. "Too involved Mary Sue" Vs. "Too involved, obnoxious and rather hallow adult-teen lady."

This April has some possible potential, if they would write her better with a bit of development so she's got more going for her and quits being kind of obnoxious like that first ep. Nor beats her friends with baseball bats. (Have we seen her more than that? I truly can not remember. lol) But if there are no female writers (and more-so no black female writers to tell a bunch of [prob mostly white] guys what works), good luck.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 09-25-2018 at 11:50 PM.
Old 09-26-2018, 09:17 PM   #15
sdp
-

People might give the character a chance if she wasn't called April. I don't mind her, she just isn't April. I also disliked 2012 April though so that's two versions in a row I dislike now.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 01:44 AM   #16
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Quote:

Agreed. This April exhibits unfortunate stereotypes/ "tropes" that heavily encircle(s) women of color. (The Angry Black Woman, The Sassy Black Woman, etc.)

I don't know if the writers are/were trying to intentionally incorporate those tropes, though.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 01:47 AM   #17
CyberCubed
Overlord

It's odd because the voice actress for April doesn't speak that way in real life, so I don't know why she put on the angry black girl stereotype for April's voice. She should have just used her real life voice, albeit make it sound younger to fit a teenage girl.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 02:09 AM   #18
newfan
Mad Scientist

Well I'd imagine that is down to the creators rather than the VA.

So far as April beating the turtles and successfully beating all 4 of them (they may well have let her) I would just put it down to the style of the toon, the comedic/younger aspect. I mean obviously if you imagine that in the other versions...
Same as the turtles accusing her of stealing from them, so directly too. (unless they have kinda behaved like that in another version? trust issues etc?)
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 04:00 AM   #19
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

At one hand, it was a funny scene. but at another, it's the tired old "it's funny when a chick is the abuser" trope/joke that's really uncomfortable in most cases. We see so often the wife beating up her husband with a rolling pin due to something she disagrees with, and with April pulling out her baseball bat its just that scenario.

The show is cranked to 11 and the hand is still on the dial to jut it to 14, so I guess just throwing them out of her apartment wasn't enough.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 12:37 PM   #20
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
At one hand, it was a funny scene. but at another, it's the tired old "it's funny when a chick is the abuser" trope/joke that's really uncomfortable in most cases. We see so often the wife beating up her husband with a rolling pin due to something she disagrees with, and with April pulling out her baseball bat its just that scenario.

The show is cranked to 11 and the hand is still on the dial to jut it to 14, so I guess just throwing them out of her apartment wasn't enough.
Oh, very good point.

For a show that was touted as going "younger" it's kind of surprisingly intense in some spots and more than I'd have expected if they are aiming for younger kids. Even if it was tamer, my nephew does NOT need that overstimulating hyper craziness it has going on, so I'm glad he's just 2 and I hope his parents will not feel this one is appropriate... (Think we'll stick to the Half Shell special for now and maybe the tamer FW if I get the set around or after the holidays.)