The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 09-20-2017, 02:53 PM   #41
GoldMutant
Control Your Narrative

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Really? Newtralizer wasn't even a character in his first episode (he didn't even speak), and the second episode just had him properly introduced as a ex-convict from the salamander race or whatever he was. Then in his final appearance, he came back for revenge and worked with Dregg. How was he handled "horribly" that you put it in all caps?

As for Dregg, he was an insectoid warlord that got more and more insane with revenge against the Turtles. He came to Earth for one final assault and died. What were you expecting?
I haven't seen When Worlds Collide (personally doesn't interest me), but the problem is Newtrailizer had so much potential. He easily could've been a reoccurring villain or anti-hero depending on how the story was handled. The major problem was that he was underutilized. When he did appear, stuff went down; not as dangerous as Rat King personally, but still hectic. However, after his appearance in Newtrailized! (back in mid-season 2), he then reappears suddenly despite being gone for almost more than a third to half the series. I'm aware of the electrocution giving him power based on the scene, it just wasn't clear. (If it was explained, correct me please.)

There were a lot of possibilities to use him in the series. An appearance with the Salamanderians was something a lot of people had hoped for and didn't happen. I know it's due to his voice actor, Danny Trejo, but it's still a disappointment. The same logic for Newtrailizer can be applied to Mutagen Man as well.

As for Dregg... his motive sucked. The number one rule I've learned as an actor is to have motivation and reason for your objective despite conflicts. Besides the spice being a reference to drugs (ex: Star Wars), what exactly was the purpose? His motive was lacking. Additionally, I personally couldn't stand when Peter Stormare sounded whiney, it was irritating. Add in a lack of clarification for his robot replica in Evil of Dregg and his survival after The Ever-Burning Fire and Dregg is easily one of, if not the weakest antagonist of the entire series. I of course mean main villains when I say that (Shredder, The Foot, Kraang, Triceratons, Kavaxas, and him. Maybe more too.).
Old 09-20-2017, 02:58 PM   #42
CyberCubed
Overlord

Newtralizer was never treated as an important character to begin with. His first episode is towards the end of Season 1 where he doesn't even speak, he's treated just as a random creature who goes around eating Kraang. Then in his second episode, it was mostly about Slash making peace with Raphael and the other Turtles and becoming their ally. That was the ep where he revealed he was part of a salamander race and ex-convict.

While I do think Newtralizer should have appeared in the space arc, overall I don't see the problem. He wasn't much more than a salamander bounty hunter, there really isn't anything else they could have done with him. We also had Armaggon in the space arc who essentially had his own role.

Dregg being insane and going crazy over the Turtles held true to what his character became in the original cartoon in Season 10. Dregg's character is that the Turtles drive him insane from a warlord to a guy who goes out of his way just to destroy them. And Dregg's motive wasn't just that he was bumped into by them in the first space arc ep, the other eps show him and his insectoid army on planets and ships looking to cultivate the galaxy. That's also what he actually does when he comes to Earth, since he puts a bunch of humans in wasps nests and was going to terraform the Earth to one of his insectoid domains.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 03:22 PM   #43
GoldMutant
Control Your Narrative

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post

While I do think Newtralizer should have appeared in the space arc, overall I don't see the problem. He wasn't much more than a salamander bounty hunter, there really isn't anything else they could have done with him. We also had Armaggon in the space arc who essentially had his own role.
You clearly missed the point I made despite describing what he exactly did the whole series.

Newtrailizer was arguably one of, if not, the best new character this series introduced. He could've done a lot more for the story. For example, if he hated the Kraang so much, why couldn't he have attempted to fight them following The Invasion? I'm not saying make him a hero, but at least a temporary ally during the conflict alongside the Mutanimals. It's why I liked seeing Shredder and Splinter teaming up in Annihilation: Earth despite the ending. It was something barely done before and made for an exciting scenario.

The same can apply to the space arc too. Why not a brief showing that Dregg has Newtrailizer with him, like a contact or something? Hint at his eventual return due to this. Play with his connection to his people.

Ultimately, the characters who don't do much (or are main hero/villains) or are supporting end up being beloved. Boba Fett from Star Wars did very little and several fans loved him is the main example. It doesn't anger me, but it does make me a bit disappointed that he had more untapped potential.

Quote:
Dregg being insane and going crazy over the Turtles held true to what his character became in the original cartoon in Season 10. Dregg's character is that the Turtles drive him insane from a warlord to a guy who goes out of his way just to destroy them. And Dregg's motive wasn't just that he was bumped into by them in the first space arc ep, the other eps show him and his insectoid army on planets and ships looking to cultivate the galaxy. That's also what he actually does when he comes to Earth, since he puts a bunch of humans in wasps nests and was going to terraform the Earth to one of his insectoid domains.
This version Dregg lacks any insanity from FW and instead, to paraphrase Alice in Wonderland, "a pompous, bad-tempered old tyrant" (Cheshire Cat). I've seen FW Dregg and know he has a serious menace to him. I attribute that to Tony Jay or change of tone from the Red Sky seasons though.

Again, as I've said, I did not watch When Worlds Collide (his last episode) and I am not interested in it. I may watch it at some point, but it just doesn't appeal to me (even if the concept of his invasion is cool). However, the spice is what inspired him to go after the Turtles for ruining his sale, subsequently his name in the process. Any form of insanity boils down to a child trying to fix what cannot be mended. Otherwise, he just doesn't have much to him; if he had a bigger role in season 4 instead of being primarily a hindrance, maybe I wouldn't have as much a problem with him. Where it stands though, you could really run most of the space arc without Dregg as he barely did anything noteworthy.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:44 PM   #44
CyberCubed
Overlord

I don't recall anyone being that impressed by Newtralizer besides liking his design when he first appeared. As I've said, he didn't even have a personality or character in his debut episode. His Season 2 episode fleshed him out a bit, but even then it wasn't that much to go on. Could they have done other things with him? Sure, but then that's just going into fanfiction territory. You can say the same thing about any character then.

Dregg's character was focused on a lot in the space eps, he had the most appearances in them than any other character besides the Triceratons. We saw his ambitions, his plans, his motives. It's just that Dregg himself is a bit of a conceited moron, and he let his revenge for the Turtles blind him to what he was doing. And since you said you didn't watch his last appearance, he basically tried to conquer the Earth.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cybercubed is justice, hi brandon, pappenbrooksonicfetish, sharkbladeweirdness