The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 09-08-2006, 05:25 PM   #21
Ecto Jedi
Denki Wo Kitte Kudasai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putrescent
it's actully pretty funny that bootleg splinter is better then the first one that came out hahaha!
That's an interesting point. Though I certainly wouldn't want to buy any of these figures, they do somehow possess a strangely interesting quality about them. Just the notion that these bootleggers go to such great lengths to manufacture, produce and package these rip-off toys in order to pass them off as real ones -- and then screw them all up by doing the most asinine things, like inserting lights in their chests or putting five turtles on the packaging.
Ecto Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 07:04 PM   #22
TMNTGal
Mad Scientist

Those are great! The Fighting Gear Turtles have orange necks... Don't you know they use those red lights to hypnotize people into buying those things. Look at it, it's so shiny.... I want them!

TMNTGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 11:41 PM   #23
P_T
Random Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecto Jedi
Furthermore, where would you purchase these? Do any large retailers actually carry these things? That simply wouldn't fly over here in Canada and in the U.S. -- but do big-name stores in Serbia sell these?
Thing is, people here aren't exactly loaded with money, so any toy store that wants to make some profit carries bootlegs as well as originals... These bootlegs are all legaly imported by several different companies; each toy comes with a generic declaration/sticker that reads:

Quote:
Item: toy
Material: PVC
Land of origin: China
Warning: choking hazard, etc
Besides the toys I have already mentioned, I have bootlegged LEGOs, Action Man, Max Steel, Hulk and many more- even a few Bratz dolls and a NES console ... I'm thinking about starting a website dedicated to bootlegs, there's so much material!
P_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 03:41 AM   #24
METALHEAD
Stone Warrior

makes me glad i live in america
METALHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 05:36 PM   #25
Ecto Jedi
Denki Wo Kitte Kudasai

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_T
Thing is, people here aren't exactly loaded with money, so any toy store that wants to make some profit carries bootlegs as well as originals...
That's fascinating...So what's the sticker price on these? 'Same as the real ones?
Ecto Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 12:17 AM   #26
P_T
Random Punk

Quote:
That's fascinating...So what's the sticker price on these? 'Same as the real ones?
Well, the Fightin' Gear Turtles were roughly $3.50, others were closer to four bucks... while regular originals are 15$* , the deluxes 18.75 and, for instance, those "Paleo Patrol" Turtle + Veichle 2- packs are $ 30 and some change... so, you can see the appeal of these bootlegs .

* Which is silly, IMO - the Marvel Legends have the same price, while oher ToyBiz figures are even cheaper, in the 12 $ range... I guess the importers are trying to cash in on the Turtles' popularity...
Old 09-13-2006, 03:01 PM   #27
Drtooth
Foot Elite

Quote:
Just the notion that these bootleggers go to such great lengths to manufacture, produce and package these rip-off toys in order to pass them off as real ones -- and then screw them all up by doing the most asinine things, like inserting lights in their chests or putting five turtles on the packaging.
I didn't know about the 5 turtles until you pointed that out.

It's like that trick where someone makes you read a card that says

I am a very smart
smart person

or something to that extent, where you don't know the word is there twice unless you are careful.

I will say the TMNT play cards are the pick of the litter. Especially the one with original comic book design.
Old 09-25-2006, 01:24 PM   #28
P_T
Random Punk

Another update!

Can someone tell me if this particular bootleg is based on an existing original figure? Thank you!

Old 09-25-2006, 11:28 PM   #29
tmntman
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_T
Another update!

Can someone tell me if this particular bootleg is based on an existing original figure? Thank you!

A direct bootleg of the Thunder Thrashers version of Leonardo from the TMNT:the next mutation series.

You can see the original here.

Check out my site at http://www.tmnttoys.com/
or follow me on Twitter, @TMNTtoys
tmntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 02:03 AM   #30
magidkaiser
Foot Soldier

well .id like to say that toys although their quality not good as playmates toys

put they too god for poor people like me how dont have much money to buy playmates products -

-note that the playmates toys in our country are so expensive

for example ne guy of tmnt costs 70 LE-about 12 dollars

as for chinese toys ne toy of tmnt costs about one and half dollar only

Last edited by magidkaiser; 09-27-2006 at 06:34 AM.
magidkaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 07:54 AM   #31
P_T
Random Punk

tmntman Thank you!

magidkaiser That's still twice chepaer than the originals are here!
Old 10-16-2006, 05:59 AM   #32
PizzaPower
Foot Elite

wow thoooooooose are awesome!
PizzaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 07:07 PM   #33
OA
Scatter the nuns!!

Wow...unbeliveable bootleg of Thunder Thrasher Leo from the Next Mutation Line...those are pretty cool...im not really into bootlegs myself, but thats one I would probably get...
Old 10-16-2006, 08:53 PM   #34
Toonami Tom
Banned

That's a really cool bootleg Leo figure. So how are these guys doing this? Are they stealing the molds from the Playmates Toys factory and messing with them?
Toonami Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 09:31 PM   #35
Jo Dawn
Inactive Moderator

Quote:
and then screw them all up by doing the most asinine things, like inserting lights in their chests or putting five turtles on the packaging.
Well, it's funny. 'Cause it looks like the images are just folded over each other; Don and Leo are exact mirror images of each other, but Raph doesn't seem to be...

Hmm...
Old 10-16-2006, 10:07 PM   #36
Toonami Tom
Banned

These are fun to look at, but I would never buy any bootles for several reasons.
Old 10-17-2006, 05:28 AM   #37
***First of Two Latin Kings***
Will not be censored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chief
That's a really cool bootleg Leo figure. So how are these guys doing this? Are they stealing the molds from the Playmates Toys factory and messing with them?
No-- most likely they're casting the original toys in some kind of hard plaster and then using that as a mold to make more toys. Anyone could do it, really.
I can hear it now: "I'm sorry little April, I told you that if you didn't take good care of them I'd be taking them away. Now they are going to the lab to be abused for experimentation" (You could almost rewrite this as April caused the fire to get back at her father over it...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanadiandrome View Post
Powder I'd not defend him, that's just how he gets

International shipping assistance: DARTHCJJ@GMAIL.COM
***First of Two Latin Kings*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 08:42 AM   #38
Toonami Tom
Banned

Another thing about the bootleg figures is that nobody knows if the paint on them is safe. I assume the official figures have safe paint, but when it comes to bootlegs it wouldn't suprise me if they had lead paint.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:02 AM   #39
tmntman
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chief
Another thing about the bootleg figures is that nobody knows if the paint on them is safe. I assume the official figures have safe paint, but when it comes to bootlegs it wouldn't suprise me if they had lead paint.

I wouldn't be overly concerned about such things. Even though bootleg toys have a much smaller production run than the original, they are still producing runs numbering at least in the thousands. Factor in the need to be able to produce all of the packaging and shipping cases and it is a pretty safe bet that these bootlegs are being produced in the same factories that produce regular mass market toys. They aren't being cooked up in some guys basement or garage. And they are probably using the same materials. Just take what ever left overs they may have and use them for the cheap knock offs where quality won't be as big of an issue.

Check out my site at http://www.tmnttoys.com/
or follow me on Twitter, @TMNTtoys
tmntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 09:48 AM   #40
OA
Scatter the nuns!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmntman
and it is a pretty safe bet that these bootlegs are being produced in the same factories that produce regular mass market toys.
Well then wouldn't you expect the quality (paint, articulation, etc.) to be virtually identical to the "regual mass market toys"?