The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 03-04-2010, 02:27 PM   #1
Gyt Kaliba
Stone Warrior

TMNT CGI Pilot 2001

This is probably old news for everyone else here but this was the first time I ran across it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmrLh...eature=related

Isn't 2001 about the time that the 4Kids series was started? So was this concept dropped in favor of the 4Kids toon? Either way...I'm kind of glad, in a way, that we didn't see anything come from this. It looks really, really rough, and I really do not like the voices. Still a cool enough little watch but I don't think I'd have liked a series like this.
Old 03-04-2010, 02:38 PM   #2
(DC)
Mouser

I could see where they were going with it and it was okay. Sure it looks rough, but it is just a test, like a CGI storyboard about how the look and feel of the show would be.
(DC) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 02:45 PM   #3
Gyt Kaliba
Stone Warrior

True, an actual show from this would have looked better, and probably would have had different voices to boot, so I guess that gripe of mine is mute. And I did like a few of the jokes near the end, in particular the 'We talked about this!' and the Cowabunga.

So if this was 2001 like the vid says though, when was the WB toon that was in the works pitched too, was it before or after this? It's looking like there was quite a bit of trial and error before we ended up with the 4Kids toon.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:23 PM   #4
gobo
Wacky Action

I think the WB show was pitched the same year as this CGI pilot. Personally, I liked the CGI pilot, and would have been happy with a series based on it. As much as I've never been a fan of CGI, this just seems like it would have actually kept me entertained. It had the right balance of humor and crappily-paced CGI action (no worse than what we were used to back then). However, there's no reason to think that a full episode of this wouldn't have been plagued with just as much absurd logic as most of the prior videography of the franchise. Still, considering 2K3, I'm glad Pete passed on this one. It might have been nice, but 2K3 made me proud to be a fan again.

gobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 03:35 PM   #5
discordiatookie
facehugger

Although not too big on some of the designs, there's a certain tone to it that I really like. I'd be pretty happy if the upcoming show went in a similar direction...

You actually trying to read this tiny text? Damn, you're dedicated! This is all just for effect you know...

original TMNT art collection
discordiatookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 05:34 PM   #6
Spacebabie
Hench Mutant

First time I'd seen this. Here is to also hoping tht the new toon would be something like this.
Spacebabie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 06:12 PM   #7
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Yeah its kind of old news but I still think it would have been awesome. Obviously we got the better deal but I wouldn't have minded this one. Obviously the voice actors would have been different and the CG better, this was just a pilot.

Last edited by sdp; 03-04-2010 at 06:34 PM.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:15 AM   #8
Gyt Kaliba
Stone Warrior

Yeah, for some reason I didn't take into account that this was just an early, early test, so the voices really threw me at first.

Did anything else come of this at all before it was canned? Or is this all we ever heard of it, and then the 2003 series came out?

Also, any idea what those robots Leonardo found in it were? Were they just generic robot things, or some sort of Mouser? For some reason the sound effects reminded me of Mousers a bit, but they looked nothing like the traditional mousers I've seen.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:44 AM   #9
gobo
Wacky Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyt Kaliba View Post
Did anything else come of this at all before
Nope. That's all she wrote.
Quote:
Also, any idea what those robots Leonardo found in it were? Were they just generic robot things, or some sort of Mouser? For some reason the sound effects reminded me of Mousers a bit, but they looked nothing like the traditional mousers I've seen.
I believe those were the disc robots that plagued the NES version of the Arcade Game.

gobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 01:21 PM   #10
jalexbrown
Foot Soldier

That first fight scene with Donatello was pretty sweet for being such a rough draft. Oh, and I can't help but point how much more more I like the human design in this than in TMNT 2007.
jalexbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 05:59 PM   #11
shuriken
Second City Shinobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalexbrown View Post
That first fight scene with Donatello was pretty sweet for being such a rough draft. Oh, and I can't help but point how much more more I like the human design in this than in TMNT 2007.

I concur. When news of this came out back in mid 2001 I was so syked. But I think it would have been interesting to at least see a pilot of the thing. At least as far as TMNT were concerned after the next mutation there was nowhere to go but up.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:13 PM   #12
lethrhd
Hench Mutant

I concur, not a big fan of the humans in tmnt.

I also remember getting syked seeing this on the official nt page back in the day but man, looking back, how corny can you get?
Old 03-09-2010, 09:26 PM   #13
jalexbrown
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuriken View Post

I concur. When news of this came out back in mid 2001 I was so syked. But I think it would have been interesting to at least see a pilot of the thing. At least as far as TMNT were concerned after the next mutation there was nowhere to go but up.
I actually didn't see Next Mutation until well after it was canceled. When it came out, I'd gotten some naive impression that Turtles had sort of gone way-side, so I wasn't keeping up and didn't even know it came and went. I watched it for the first time...I want to say three years ago, probably right around the time TMNT 2007 came out. It truly might be the single most revolting thing I've ever seen to have the TMNT brand attached. Unfortunately, because I wasn't up on the times with the property, it led me to believe that I'd been disconnected from the rest of the fanbase; little did I know at the time that all of the other fans also thought it was garbage.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:47 AM   #14
odupianist
Mad Scientist

Not all the other fans thought it was garbage. It could have been a lot worse. I didn't think NM was that bad. Was it the greatest? Definitely not, but it had some cool ideas with it. It just wasn't executed as well as it could have been.
odupianist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 05:44 PM   #15
jalexbrown
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by odupianist View Post
Not all the other fans thought it was garbage. It could have been a lot worse. I didn't think NM was that bad. Was it the greatest? Definitely not, but it had some cool ideas with it. It just wasn't executed as well as it could have been.
Had they taken out Venus and not seemed to have been going for the goofy, over-the-topness of the OT, I'd agree with that. As is, though - flaws intact - I thought Next Mutation was a pretty big, steamy pile.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:36 PM   #16
Gyt Kaliba
Stone Warrior

Venus, I think, could have been kinda cool, done right and not so Mary Sue-ish - however, as we all know, that's not what we got.

The ideas of NM that I DID like were seeing the Turtles when they weren't teenagers anymore, especially since that's what a lot of people crave (based on how many stories of that there are), and I liked each turtle having a different kind of mask in addition to color. I dunno why, but I liked that extra design quirk.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:47 PM   #17
jalexbrown
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Venus, I think, could have been kinda cool, done right and not so Mary Sue-ish - however, as we all know, that's not what we got.

The ideas of NM that I DID like were seeing the Turtles when they weren't teenagers anymore, especially since that's what a lot of people crave (based on how many stories of that there are), and I liked each turtle having a different kind of mask in addition to color. I dunno why, but I liked that extra design quirk.
Television history has pretty much proven that any time you add a new character to an established roster, you're basically jumping the shark and asking for a failure. Venus was an attempt to bring a fresh feeling to the series from people who weren't creative enough to think of any better way to make it feel new again.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:22 AM   #18
Kendamu
Sewerhead

Quote:
Did anything else come of this at all before it was canned? Or is this all we ever heard of it, and then the 2003 series came out?
There's a rather rare video out there where a CG studio did an animation test for a CG TMNT show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAGbYWqqQaE

Obviously, while the majority of the concepts in the CG pilot/trailer made their way into the show for the most part, in the end 4Kids went with a 2D toon.

I would've preferred the Turtles looking more like they did in the WB toon pitch, I'm glad we got what we did and what we got stemmed from concepts in both the CG pilot/trailer and the WB pitch. They're essentially early versions of what became 2k3.
Kendamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:44 AM   #19
Cipher
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by odupianist View Post
Hey, I dig NM: The Story Pitch.

But I decidedly do not dig NM: The Television Series.
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 06:21 AM   #20
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
This is probably old news for everyone else here but this was the first time I ran across it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmrLh...eature=related

Isn't 2001 about the time that the 4Kids series was started?
It started in 2003.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cancelled media, tmnt cgi pilot 2001