The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 11-22-2017, 07:17 PM   #21
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
drink beer all day according to him
Not sure which monks your barber was talking about but last time I checked, Monks across most religions are teetotallers

But I'd say religion is not a bad idea for life satisfaction.

Last edited by FredWolfLeonardo; 11-22-2017 at 07:25 PM.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 10:33 PM   #22
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
DC and Marvel comics also reboot every few years just so Batman, Spiderman, etc. never get too old.

That's basically the problem with any series designed to run forever without an ending. Bruce Wayne has been like 30-35 years old for like 70 years.
And the Turtles are forever teenagers... well I think in Mirage they eventually became adults? But it's not like they became middle aged. The only times the Turtles have significantly aged were in exceptional episodes such as that 2nd Hokum episode in the FW series where they go to the future and meet their old selves.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 10:45 PM   #23
CyberCubed
Overlord

It's just so odd to think there will be a 4th TMNT cartoon coming out soon.

I remember when the 2k3 series was considered the "new TMNT cartoon." And now it's over 15 years old. What the hell? Hell, I still consider the PS2/Gamecube/Xbox era of videogames to be "recent" and that's over 17 years old now too.

Hell it doesn't feel that long ago that George Bush or Obama were president of the United States, yet it is. The Star Wars prequels are like 17 years old now too.

It's almost hard to believe youtube didn't exist till 2005, or social media didn't really take off until around 2008 or so...and it feels much longer than that. The passage of time is absolutely crazy.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 11:08 PM   #24
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

It might be hard, but we must believe.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 11:32 PM   #25
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

We'll see how that goes when Net Neutrality collapses in December...
Old 11-23-2017, 12:01 AM   #26
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
We'll see how that goes when Net Neutrality collapses in December...
I'm still worried about that possibly being true.

I don't want to pay monthly to use Google.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 12:29 PM   #27
snake
Disgusting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
You know what's funny? Luffy has not found the One Piece yet... nor will he find it anytime soon.
Achkschually, One Piece is relatively close to finishing at the moment. There's only about 3 or 4 more big arcs before it all wraps up. 5/6 years probably.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 03:20 PM   #28
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
It's just so odd to think there will be a 4th TMNT cartoon coming out soon.

I remember when the 2k3 series was considered the "new TMNT cartoon." And now it's over 15 years old. What the hell? Hell, I still consider the PS2/Gamecube/Xbox era of videogames to be "recent" and that's over 17 years old now too.

Hell it doesn't feel that long ago that George Bush or Obama were president of the United States, yet it is. The Star Wars prequels are like 17 years old now too.

It's almost hard to believe youtube didn't exist till 2005, or social media didn't really take off until around 2008 or so...and it feels much longer than that. The passage of time is absolutely crazy.
Eh... DC/PS2/Xbox/GC no longer feel "recent" to me. Tons of PS2 games have visibly aged. Look at GTA Vice City, for example.

I do tend to think of lots of PS3/360/Wii games as "recent" still, though lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
Achkschually, One Piece is relatively close to finishing at the moment. There's only about 3 or 4 more big arcs before it all wraps up. 5/6 years probably.
5/6 years is "close to finishing"?! J/k, for OP pacing, then yeah it's "close".

Did Oda confirm it? I know he had health issues sometime ago.

Man, I haven't watched OP since 2013. I still haven't finished the Fishman Island Arc. I'm at episode 560 or so atm.

The prime of the OP series was the Summit War Saga, imo. And also the Water 7 Saga.

I was not huge on Sky Island and Thriller Bark sagas overall
Old 11-24-2017, 11:44 AM   #29
CyberCubed
Overlord

I still think of blu-rays as the "new format" even though its existed for a decade already. It's hard to believe DVDs are now considered "retro."
Old 11-24-2017, 12:04 PM   #30
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
I still think of blu-rays as the "new format" even though its existed for a decade already. It's hard to believe DVDs are now considered "retro."
It's basically the same. Blu-rays are just "bigger DVDs" in the same way that 4K Blu-rays are "even bigger DVDs." It's the same media, really.

What's disappointing is that you walk into most Best Buys or K-Marts or whatever now, you barely even see any Blu-rays anymore. Everything is 80% DVD now, as if we're back in the days when blu-ray was just first starting to come out. It's like, now that the new generation has stopped buying blu-rays, all that's left is the older people/retirees who never bothered to upgrade their DVD players.

I've met a lot of crazies, too. "Blu-ray isn't ONE LICK better than DVD! It's just a conspiracy to make us buy everything again!" It's like, I know it may not look like it on your old tube TV but I promise you, 1080p is way better looking than 480p. It's not a "theory" or a "belief."
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 12:06 PM   #31
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Are they? Well, they're still popular, but I suppose the jump to Blu Ray wasn't as big as the jump from VHS to DVD so the change over was more gradual (unless it took longer than I remember for VHS to go away)

Speaking of Blu Ray and DVD (sorry to come off subject) Just a tech question here, if you have a 1080p tv and your DVD up scales to that, should there be much difference in a blu ray played using that TV?
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 12:08 PM   #32
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post
if you have a 1080p tv and your DVD up scales to that, should there be much difference in a blu ray played using that TV?
Huge difference. Stretching pixels 50% beyond what they are is going to be incredibly ugly.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 02:37 PM   #33
Prowler
Emperor

Speaking of DVDs... remember when the PS2 was a cheaper DVD player?

I remember my family buying a VHS-DVD player hybrid back in 2001 or so. It felt to cutting edge. Our first DVDs were Casablanca TLOTR Fellowship of the Ring. We were all marvelled at the menu screens and being able to watch DVDs in our computer as well . Buying a movie or a tv show on DVD back in 2001-2008 was always an exciting thing to do. We still have a lot of DVDs at home(hell I know how many...)... but the collection doesn't seem impressive anymore tbh. Nowadays with streaming and people pirating everything, not many people are into collecting media anymore. Nowadays if you go up to someone and tell them you bought a DVD or a Blu Ray box set of Game of Thrones, they'll just look at you as if you're crazy and say "What? Why didn't you just download it instead?!"

I dunno how big companies plan on winning the war on piracy, tbh.
Old 11-24-2017, 02:48 PM   #34
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache

The best they can do right now is just keep trying to make better encryption. Just a few weeks ago someone finally cracked the copy protection for 4K Blu-rays and upload/download speeds have gotten so good that people are able to grab full 60-70GB discs in an afternoon.
TheSkeletonMan939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 11:48 PM   #35
Prowler
Emperor

Speaking of how fast time flies, when did it start flying to you, Cyber? I noticed that around 2009 time seemed to have sped up considerably. Then around 2012-2013 it seemed to have sped up even more.

The past sometimes can feel so familiar yet so distant.
Old 11-25-2017, 08:14 AM   #36
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

I think that as we get older our perception of time speeds up exponentially.

When we're 5 years old each year is twenty percent of our lives. When we're 10 it shrinks to ten percent and by 25 it's only four.

I'm in between 25 and 30 now and I can't imagine how time is going to seem to keep getting faster
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 11:39 AM   #37
snake
Disgusting

Quote:
The prime of the OP series was the Summit War Saga, imo. And also the Water 7 Saga.

I was not huge on Sky Island and Thriller Bark sagas overall
Fishman Island is where I stopped watching the anime and started reading the manga. It goes a LOT faster that way because the anime falls right off around that point.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 11:46 AM   #38
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Speaking of how fast time flies, when did it start flying to you, Cyber? I noticed that around 2009 time seemed to have sped up considerably. Then around 2012-2013 it seemed to have sped up even more.

The past sometimes can feel so familiar yet so distant.
Definitely around 2008 or so. But then definitely by 2010 onward.

As I said I can't believe we're only 2 years before the end of this decade already. I really don't feel like the years 2011-2014 are so are that long ago.

It's also sometimes easy to forget this decade and the early 2000's are two different decades, because we just call them "the 2000's" rather than the "early 00's" and the "2010's."

Heh, when we get to 2020 people can't say "the 20's" anymore because that would be for the 1920's, now we have to say "the 2020's or "the 1920's."
Old 11-25-2017, 01:28 PM   #39
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
Fishman Island is where I stopped watching the anime and started reading the manga. It goes a LOT faster that way because the anime falls right off around that point.
Yes, the Fishman Island arc dragged on a lot in the anime, at least.

But honestly, I'd rather just watch the anime instead. I prefer watching the battles animated and in colour.
Old 11-25-2017, 01:55 PM   #40
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Oh man, I had to actually skip ahead on a lot of One Piece bits because they dragged too long, and now I'm taking a break because I burned out.

I just want to see a singing skeleton man, darn it!

♫All I want to do is see the crew run into a singing skeleton, a singing skeleton! All I want to be is see someone be a singing skeleton♫

Tags
passage of time, timelords ponder