The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 12-18-2017, 11:04 PM   #81
CyberCubed
Overlord

It's also kind of funny how childhood fad franchises never end.

TMNT is about to have its 4th cartoon and has had an almost continuous run in comics and cartoons.

Power Rangers still airs to this day. Pokemon still airs to this day. Dragonball was revived with a new series Super. Star Wars got new movies after everyone thought it was done forever. There's some rumors of Harry Potter getting a revival, and DC and Marvel superheroes never die.

It's kind of funny when I stopped to realize every single franchise I liked as a kid or teen still exists today in some form. It's like all our childhood franchises never end...at least not the big ones.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 03:20 PM   #82
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Star Wars isn't a childrens' franchise.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 03:22 PM   #83
CyberCubed
Overlord

George Lucas said the original movies were aimed at kids/teens, which they were. There were no adult fans in the 70's, it was all the kids at the time who became adult fans in the 80's and 90's as they aged.
Old 12-19-2017, 03:29 PM   #84
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
George Lucas said the original movies were aimed at kids/teens, which they were. There were no adult fans in the 70's, it was all the kids at the time who became adult fans in the 80's and 90's as they aged.
That sounds great. Star Wars getting out of the "children only" label is something TMNT could learn from.
Old 12-19-2017, 04:43 PM   #85
dragonside
Hench Mutant

the franchises that didn't last when I was a kid:

Street Sharks (burger eating, metal eating shark teens like come on).

I am glad TMNT has lasted so long, hopefully it becomes and evergreen franchise and not go the way of woody wood pecker.

https://www.thestreet.com/story/1316...worthless.html
dragonside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 04:52 PM   #86
sdp
-

TMNT is already an evergreen property, that's the reason Viacom bought it, street sharks? Not so much.

Woody Woodpecker would also be considered an evergreen property. That means you can sell licensing of it and the product has been around for a while. You don't need to have the latest cartoon to be an evergreen property but you can find Woody Woodpecker in Universal Studios for that very reason.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 05:07 PM   #87
CyberCubed
Overlord

TMNT almost didn't become an evergreen property. If Laird had no intention of reviving the comics and looking to get a new cartoon on the air in the early 2000's, I wonder if Viacom would have ever been interested in buying it a decade later.

People easily forget the only reason Mirage Volume 4 came out in 2001, and then the 2k3 series in 2003, is because PL was actually interested in reviving the franchise. If he was as disinterested back then as he is now apparently, it wouldn't have happened.

And because of that, Mirage also wouldn't have decided to sell the IP to Viacom or whoever else a decade after.
Old 12-20-2017, 03:41 AM   #88
Overlord

Quote:
TMNT almost didn't become an evergreen property. If Laird had no intention of reviving the comics and looking to get a new cartoon on the air in the early 2000's, I wonder if Viacom would have ever been interested in buying it a decade later.

People easily forget the only reason Mirage Volume 4 came out in 2001, and then the 2k3 series in 2003, is because PL was actually interested in reviving the franchise. If he was as disinterested back then as he is now apparently, it wouldn't have happened.

And because of that, Mirage also wouldn't have decided to sell the IP to Viacom or whoever else a decade after.
And Peter Laird also wanted the 2003–2009 series to be more Mirage-based. It was a perfect time for that, with the Internet having gone mainstream allowing people to easier discover the background of TMNT.
Old 12-21-2017, 04:32 PM   #89
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I didn't watch the show until ti began getting reran often on Canal Panda from 1997 or so onward... and it was entirely in English. My brother also told me he only recalls seeing it in English when he was younger. I never came across FW episodes in European Portuguese on YT. In Brazilian Portuguese, yes, but not in European Portuguese. First time I hear this tbh.
Well it was definitely shown in the mid-90s on SIC on weekends in Portugal. Not sure it was dubbed but I believe I would have sat down to watch it if it wasn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
For my now-10 year old daughter, I can attest to "Monster High" and "Littlest Pet Shop" being huge for her and all of her friends.
So they made a remake of Littlest Pet Shop? Was the original series that well remembered?

Quote:
You got it.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 03:41 PM   #90
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonside View Post
the franchises that didn't last when I was a kid:

Street Sharks (burger eating, metal eating shark teens like come on).
And Extreme Dinosaurs.
Old 12-22-2017, 03:46 PM   #91
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

It would be funny if Nick accquired the rights to all the tmnt knock offs (Biker Mice, StreetSharks, Battletoads etc.) and then integrated them into the tmnt lore.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 03:51 PM   #92
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
It would be funny if Nick accquired the rights to all the tmnt knock offs (Biker Mice, StreetSharks, Battletoads etc.) and then integrated them into the tmnt lore.
Or Extreme Dinosars (thinking of all times the turtles have interacted with dinosaurs and dinosauroids).
Old 12-22-2017, 03:57 PM   #93
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
Or Extreme Dinosars (thinking of all times the turtles have interacted with dinosaurs and dinosauroids).
I've never heard of Extreme Dinosaurs so I googled it and found it was made 1 year after the Original Cartoon ended.

I find that a bit strange, since you would expect knock offs to be more prominent during TurtleMania but Extreme Dinosaurs could work in the lore of tmnt, especially considering that the turtles have met anthropomorphic dinosaurs many times before as you said. I like it better than all the other crossover ideas barring BattleToads.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
Old 12-22-2017, 04:16 PM   #94
Overlord

Quote:
I've never heard of Extreme Dinosaurs so I googled it and found it was made 1 year after the Original Cartoon ended.

I find that a bit strange, since you would expect knock offs to be more prominent during TurtleMania but Extreme Dinosaurs could work in the lore of tmnt, especially considering that the turtles have met anthropomorphic dinosaurs many times before as you said. I like it better than all the other crossover ideas barring BattleToads.
Or "Bucky O'Hare and the Toad Wars"? Not sure if it was a knockoff (comic started in May 1984, just like TMNT).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bucky_O%27Hare
Old 12-22-2017, 04:20 PM   #95
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
Or "Bucky O'Hare and the Toad Wars"? Not sure if it was a knockoff (comic started in May 1984, just like TMNT).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bucky_O%27Hare
I'd say it wasn't a knock-off, but I've always seen people compare Bucky Hare to Star Fox rather than tmnt.

Old 12-22-2017, 04:36 PM   #96
Overlord

Bucky O'Hare

Quote:
I'd say it wasn't a knock-off, but I've always seen people compare Bucky Hare to Star Fox rather than tmnt.
Bucky O'Hare came first.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Fox_(video_game)
Old 12-22-2017, 05:50 PM   #97
sdp
-

Quote:

I don't know how I would feel about it but I guess Bike Mice and Street Sharks would work just fine, same with Extreme Dinosaurs but that was a spin-off of Street Sharks so it's kind of included already.

Battletoads and Bucky O'Hare wouldn't work though, their continuities are a bit too different and would require more retcons than I would like to fit them.

Basically any anthropomorphic animal show even if it didn't follow the formula exactly was funded thanks to TMNT.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 03:49 PM   #98
Overlord

The turtles musn't crossover with just anthropomorphic animals. They seem to do well with Batman, and I can see the similairites (both prefering operating in the dark shadows of night).

During their adventures, the turtles have encountered so many characters that a lot of different things work, as long as the stories and characters are well-written.
Old 12-24-2017, 06:53 AM   #99
MrPliggins
Foot Elite

In those years, I went to away to college. Outside of occasionally buying figures, Comics, and OA on eBay and at cons, I didn’t really focus much on tmnt. I was more into college-type stuff. Friends, girls, homework...etc
MrPliggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 03:11 PM   #100
neatoman
Emperor

Comparing Bucky O'Hare to TMNT? Yeah because TMNT totally started that kind of thing...

Seriously though, Howard the Duck pre-date both by 11 years and I could probably dig up even earlier "Sci-Fi Anthropomorphic Animal" comics. Not that anything here actually qualifies as "rip-off" in the first place, about the only similarity TMNT and Bucky have is the anthropomorphic animal angle with a sci-fi bend, that's it.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote