The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Your excitement level after seeing the trailer?
5/5: It's awesome!!! HYPE! 11 14.47%
4/5: It looks good 9 11.84%
3/5: I'm fine with it 20 26.32%
2/5: Could've been better 19 25.00%
1/5: Awful 12 15.79%
0/5: TMNT is dead 5 6.58%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-24-2018, 07:37 AM   #21
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
When I say "35 year toddlers", I mean behaving like a toddler.
Ah, my bad, that's different. I've not been in too many threads with a lot of that.

I'm derailing here so will wrap it up. I suppose it can work either way, you could have those who will get angry and attacking if someone doesn't like some part of what they like and on the other end those who pass the point of criticism and repeatedly troll because they can't let others like something. Luckily we get a lot of middle ground too

Last edited by newfan; 03-24-2018 at 09:23 AM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:14 AM   #22
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Eh, I'd "dedicated" is too strong of a word. More like "initially conceived to be about it". It's not exactly easy for a show like that to keep the interests of adults, especially when it got canned 22 years ago, which is why the vast majortiy of discussions around here isn't really about it anymore.

I'm sure the mods can confirm or deny this theory. I'd hate to have to accuse you of 'autism' ;o). despite the fact that every modern iteration gets compared to the original after 30 years.....

Maybe the reason no one talks about it much anymore, is because we've pretty much talked about everything associated with it by now to death. all that's left is 'get a life' territory talk.

But I find it's mostly fans of the newer stuff, or original Mirage fans that like to trash the 80s show. and like it or not...that show did save some people's lives...because it helped cheer them up during a bad childhood, or helped them recover during a disease... you don't hear stories like that about the more modern series..

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 09:55 AM   #23
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
you don't hear stories like that about the more modern series..
I wouldn't be surprised if it happened often with the 4 Kids series too. It was more character-based, allowing viewers to relate more to the characters.

I'm not sure with the Nickelodeon series, but most who watched it as children are still children or early teenagers.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 10:03 AM   #24
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if it happened often with the 4 Kids series too. It was more character-based, allowing viewers to relate more to the characters.

I'm not sure with the Nickelodeon series, but most who watched it as children are still children or early teenagers.
I'm sure many shows from old until new have offered escapism of varying levels.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 10:50 AM   #25
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
I'm sure the mods can confirm or deny this theory. I'd hate to have to accuse you of 'autism' ;o). despite the fact that every modern iteration gets compared to the original after 30 years.....

Maybe the reason no one talks about it much anymore, is because we've pretty much talked about everything associated with it by now to death. all that's left is 'get a life' territory talk.

But I find it's mostly fans of the newer stuff, or original Mirage fans that like to trash the 80s show. and like it or not...that show did save some people's lives...because it helped cheer them up during a bad childhood, or helped them recover during a disease... you don't hear stories like that about the more modern series..
"Trashing" seems a little harsh as well, the flaws of the show are fairly evident. You can still make an argument for why it's bad without "trashing it". Here's a few:
  • The animation cut too many corners.
  • The writing is full of plotholes.
  • Episodes are too formulaic.
  • It's a poor adaptation.
None of these are really unfair because you can still argue such points without nitpicking.

As for the stories you mentioned, it's not that I don't believe they're true, I don't think it's a valid argument in regards to the quality. They're just an appeal to emotion. It's like yeah, cool that you had some fun watching it as a kid, it doesn't really change that it's full of bad writing and production errors.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 11:22 AM   #26
Vegita-San
Emperor

no one is saying that it doesn't have issues. even people who like it can agree it's far from perfect.

It's just the internet tone of how some people describe those issues, or dismiss other ones that makes it feel like 'trashing'...

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 12:31 PM   #27
Coola Yagami
Overlord

All those angry people keep forgetting the show is not for them. Who cares. The next generation of kids will think it's awesome.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 07:27 PM   #28
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
I gave it a 2. Not really sure how I feel about it other than not liking the designs or cheap-looking animation. The voices are okay, I kind of like them- but just not sure that is enough to save this from the trash bin.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:50 PM   #29
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Put the non-action animation on the same level as the action animation, and I'd feel better.

Because I was pretty impressed with how intense what they showed of combat scenes were, more than I was with its predecessor.

I am pretty curious to why one episode is taking place in an arcade. That itself looks interesting.

So I gave it a 2. It just needs some edges sandpapered.
Old 03-25-2018, 03:30 PM   #30
Metalwolf
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
All those angry people keep forgetting the show is not for them.
At first. Then the homages and crossovers begin. Later the darker, more 'serious' tone.

This seems to be a thing with all TMNT shows as time goes on. This new show already looks like it has the potential to become dark, especially as we know almost nothing about this new villain and why he is compelled to create mutants.
Metalwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 03:46 PM   #31
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

I'm looking forward to it. It looks colorful, fun, and different. I'm happy Leo doesn't start as leader, I'm happy we're gettign a new main villain, I'm happy they are going through their young training period with different weapons, learning to be versatile weapon-wise, I'm happy we have a different April, and I'm happy we have new villains front and center in season one, instead of Shredder, Krang, Baxter stockman, and Rat King immediately regurgitated for the millionth time

IDW is the best version of TMNT

If they make a TMNT reboot movie retelling the shredder battle/origin, I won't buy a ticket.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 03:52 PM   #32
ABrown
Banned

I just don't see this being something that I'm gonna get into. But I do hope the kids enjoy it. Good to keep the franchise alive and relevant.
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 05:05 PM   #33
shihe
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda_Kahn_fan View Post
I'm looking forward to it. It looks colorful, fun, and different. I'm happy Leo doesn't start as leader, I'm happy we're gettign a new main villain, I'm happy they are going through their young training period with different weapons, learning to be versatile weapon-wise, I'm happy we have a different April, and I'm happy we have new villains front and center in season one, instead of Shredder, Krang, Baxter stockman, and Rat King immediately regurgitated for the millionth time
My seniments exactly!
If Shredder was unveiled from day 1... How can I take him seriously if he goes 5-6 seasons without defeating the Turtles? Or the other way around too?
IMO he got stale in 2012. Until he killed Splinter twice. But then he mutated... Got revived.... And I felt they dragged him for way too long.

I'm also happy with all the little changes. Can't wait to see how these Turtles develop into full fledged heroes.
Old 03-26-2018, 02:25 AM   #34
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Didn’t realize there was a trailer.

I’m more excited now. It seems like what I was hoping for. I love the colorful art and tone of the action. Soooooo glad it’s not TMNTGo! but that was debunked with the art reveal and toys.

I really enjoyed the 2012 series but I’m a bit more excited for this because it feels somewhat new. At least different enough to be it’s own version.
Old 03-26-2018, 04:39 AM   #35
Vivi
Mad Scientist

Voice acting - great
Colors - great
Character designs - not great
Supporting Characters - bleh
Nonsense in the background - too much
Old 03-26-2018, 07:17 AM   #36
SwiftNinjaFox
Stone Warrior

Leonardo is Sokka from Avatar: The Last Airbender now?
Old 03-26-2018, 07:06 PM   #37
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftNinjaFox View Post
Leonardo is Sokka from Avatar: The Last Airbender now?
What do you mean? How is he like Sokka?
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 07:06 AM   #38
SwiftNinjaFox
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papenbrook View Post
What do you mean? How is he like Sokka?
His line sounds exactly like a Sokka quote.

"And who doesn't love my one liners, they FIRE up the team, right guys?"

To which said team just looks at him straight faced without an ounce of agreement.

Yet what does goofy, cheesy one liner Sokka develop into by the end of that series? A team leader with a mind for strategy and combat tactics.
Old 03-27-2018, 05:49 PM   #39
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
All those angry people keep forgetting the show is not for them. Who cares. The next generation of kids will think it's awesome.
You're right. Anyone who's outright angry has probably lost sight that this isn't for them. Two caveats though:

- There's definitely a difference between those who are angry and those who know it's not for them, but still want to critique what they think is a poor representation of the franchise. Obviously, you realize this.

- I think when you have adult fans getting angry at a children cartoon, you're seeing a symptom of the root problem, which is "mature tmnt" fans being underserved.
Platinum Dunes tripped and ate ****, and while IDW has done a great job repackaging older books and putting out new ones, it's a niche market and not quite enough to satisfy longtime fans.
If adult TMNT fans had a Netflix series and a quality film to go alongside the comics, it may alleviate the issue.

Of course, you'd still have exceptions. There are always exceptions. I'm just hypothesizing here.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 05:59 AM   #40
TMNTmousers
Thug

Looks terrible in my opinion. Bring back the 2012 series
TMNTmousers is offline   Reply With Quote