The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 06-04-2020, 05:18 AM   #1
Cloudrunner
Foot Soldier

Original CYBERFROG/CREED cover from 1997 up for auction

So Tim Seeley decided to "own" Ethan Van Sciver by auctioning off a piece of original art he had from him in this thread:

https://twitter.com/HackinTimSeeley/...24636283768833

Everyone's treating it like an EPIC OWN of EVS in the thread, blissfully ignoring the fact that EVS doesn't care at all and even put his own bid on the piece, which they would had known about if they didn't live in an insular bubble with him and anyone that might tell them about him on an autoblock list:

https://twitter.com/EthanVanSciver/s...67108259041282

Among those blissfully ignorant is our very own Sophie Campbell, who retweeted the auction! So thanks Sophie for bringing it to my attention. You can bid on the piece in the first link and can track the current bid for the piece and other art being auctioned off by the BLM #ComicsWriterChallenge here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...Va4/edit#gid=0

Interestingly enough the EVS piece appears to be selling better than almost all the works done by those who think they're better than him. Maybe that should be of greater concern than getting your licks in on twitter, but what do I know? I've only been watching this industry tear itself apart for the last two decades.
Cloudrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 05:22 AM   #2
Cloudrunner
Foot Soldier

For real though, Sophie. You and your friends are pathetic. You all have tried SO HARD to destroy this man's career and he's experienced so much more success than you... at what point are you just going to let it go?
Old 06-04-2020, 05:46 AM   #3
vicsavage
Foot Soldier

It's a funny own because Black Lives Matter is 180 degrees away from everything EVS stands for.
vicsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 05:49 AM   #4
neatoman
Emperor

What did Ethan Van Sciver say about Black Lives Matter? The only tweet I can see on his twitter is some sarcastic statement about how black lives matter but SJW's don't.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 05:50 AM   #5
vicsavage
Foot Soldier

The man's an unironic McCarthyite. I shudder to think of his opinions on minority self-determination.
Old 06-04-2020, 06:27 AM   #6
Cloudrunner
Foot Soldier

lol but it's not an own. He doesn't care. He bid on the piece HIMSELF, and it was the highest bid for a while. You people just don't ****ing get it. You just assume what someone is like so you can get your licks in but you never bother to actually look to see if you had any effect at all. So long as you block them and close your ears to everything they say, you can just pretend they're crying their eyes out over what you said. You're delusional and pathetic.
Old 06-04-2020, 06:46 AM   #7
vicsavage
Foot Soldier

Well, you know, he can continue to cater to his audience of people who still think trigger and pronoun jokes are hilarious and the industry can move on without him. Too bad I can't reread Johns' Green Lantern without giving that human toilet money.
Old 06-04-2020, 06:54 AM   #8
Cloudrunner
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicsavage View Post
Well, you know, he can continue to cater to his audience of people who still think trigger and pronoun jokes are hilarious and the industry can move on without him. Too bad I can't reread Johns' Green Lantern without giving that human toilet money.
He's making more money off his indie ventures than most of the people in the comics industry. The idea that they're "moving on" without him when the industry itself is collapsing outside of the big 2 is also delusional. Indie ventures are the future of comics, and he's proven he has a greater audience than the vast majority of the former Comics Pros trying the same thing he did.

https://twitter.com/EthanVanSciver/s...75225545912329
Old 06-04-2020, 06:57 AM   #9
vicsavage
Foot Soldier

are we SURE it's not a money laundering scheme by the Aryan Brotherhood?
Old 06-04-2020, 07:01 AM   #10
Cloudrunner
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Well if it is, you should probably be ******** your pants over the fact that Nazis have a bigger hold on the future of the comics industry than SJWs do.
Old 06-04-2020, 07:16 AM   #11
vicsavage
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudrunner View Post
Well if it is, you should probably be ******** your pants over the fact that Nazis have a bigger hold on the future of the comics industry than SJWs do.
Old 06-04-2020, 07:23 AM   #12
Cloudrunner
Foot Soldier

The memes are coming out, I guess that means you've run out of things to say.
Old 06-04-2020, 07:30 AM   #13
neatoman
Emperor

Is this thread just going to be you two engaging in a slapfight? Nobody has bothered answering my question, what is EVS's stance on BLM?
Hahahaha!
Old 06-04-2020, 07:39 AM   #14
Cloudrunner
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Is this thread just going to be you two engaging in a slapfight? Nobody has bothered answering my question, what is EVS's stance on BLM?
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ScaryEnlig...restricted.gif
https://twitter.com/EthanVanSciver/s...68719781941248

That's his stance.
Old 06-04-2020, 07:43 AM   #15
Cloudrunner
Foot Soldier

The thing you'll notice about these people in the industry... once you go against them they'll start throwing every label in the book at you. Ethan has made pronoun jokes in the past. That's led to him being referred to as racist, sexist, homophobic, transphobic, and a nazi. People also point to him making edgy nazi jokes in his artbook and the fact that he's a trump supporter as proof of him being a nazi. But he's never actually said anything explicitly racist. If he had, you can be damn sure it would have been well documented considering all the hit pieces that have been written about him.
Old 06-04-2020, 03:27 PM   #16
vicsavage
Foot Soldier

Like I said, dude used to spend time on the Bendis Board defending Joseph McCarthy, that gin soaked conspiracy peddling psycho.

But yeah, anyone complaining about "SJWs" in 2020 is either a fascist, an idiot or both.
Old 06-04-2020, 04:50 PM   #17
neatoman
Emperor

Ugh... This is so stupid.

What's even the story here? Some original artwork from 23 years ago by a comic artist who made some unpopular comments came into the possession of one of his haters, so the hater decides to sell the artwork and donate the money to an organisation he believes the artist hates, while the artist himself says he doesn't care who gets money from his artwork and put his own bid claiming he'd make the money back easy. This is just silly internet drama, who the hell cares? Here's a little list of why it's stupid to care about this:
  1. Let's say he does win the auction, doesn't that mean he's fine with his money going to BLM?
  2. Even if he doesn't, the highest bidder is presumably one of his fans, who already buys his stuff and doesn't care who the money goes to either.
  3. If the highest bidder doesn't care about the artist and just wants to give BLM money, they could just donate the money. There would be no need to buy a thing thing they don't want.
  4. The highest bidder could also be someone who thinks they can flip the artwork for a profit, in which case the artwork is sold for less than it's estimated value.
  5. The only other person I can imagine bidding on is another person who just wants to "trigger" the artist because they don't like him, which is pointless because again, he's already proven he doesn't care who gets the money.
  6. Even If he's secretly mad about this, what does it change? He'll still have his indie comic and youtube channel, his platform isn't taken away and he'll still be free to keep saying the thing people got angry over.
  7. Finally what does buying his artwork in protest of him really accomplish? How does argue against his points? Why would it make people less supportive of him? Nothing really changes aside from him maybe being secretly miffed.

And yes if the artist in question does defend McCarthy, makes racist comments or critiscised the modern industry purely based on his personal politicial views, then he is terrible and does deserve to be called out for it, but who really cares? I fail to see how an indie comic artist who makes cyborg frog comics, and complains about how modern comics/movies are too woke in youtube videos with less than 15000 views, is a big enough influencer to worry about. Unless it turns out he's commiting actual crimes, I don't understand why he needs to be taken down. If the artist really is as well off as his defenders claim and there's no sign it's about to get worse for him, why care about defending him? And if he really is terrible, go ahead and criticise him and point out why he's wrong. But "triggering", especially failed triggering, is a pointless gesture. And if he's already been kicked out of mainstream comics, his critics have effectively already won against him, he's not going to steer any big titles in his direction anymore. All he has are his own books, which were already his to begin with. What is anyone going to realistically do there? Force him to sell the rights to his own characters?

Also, threads that are thinly veiled reasons to discuss politics tend to get deleted and you'll probably get a warning for engaging in the discussion which is why I'm not coming back in addition to just thinking this is a non-issue. I only wanted to point out why caring about this either way is a waste of energy.

Edit: If you want to talk to me about this don't bother responding here, just PM me.
Hahahaha!

Last edited by neatoman; 06-04-2020 at 05:01 PM.
Old 06-04-2020, 05:07 PM   #18
TommyT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudrunner View Post
For real though, Sophie. You and your friends are pathetic. You all have tried SO HARD to destroy this man's career and he's experienced so much more success than you... at what point are you just going to let it go?
Wait, what did Sophie post?
TommyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 05:13 PM   #19
TommyT
Banned

Quote:
Oh shitson! That never occurred to me. Makes a ton of sense, given Cyberfrog is a nothing book.
TommyT is offline   Reply With Quote