The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 10-10-2022, 04:20 PM   #281
Leo656
The Franchise

Hah, sounds like me. I'd totally do the streaming thing, especially if there was any money in it, but I have no idea how to do it and I can't figure it out.

I just started my first blog literally this morning so you can see how out of touch I am.

And I'm actually the "real" Angry Video Game Nerd, I just never had a camera when YouTube was blowing up. I've done the whole "fist through the wall, whip the cartridge across the room" sh*t, too, although I'm not exactly proud of it. He's livin' my life!

Legit, the first time I found AVGN, can't remember what year but my wife and I were watching it, and she was like "This is the kinda sh*t YOU ought'a be doing," and I'm like "Eh he's already got there; the world can't handle two." He was already rich and famous by then; it does sting a little bit that we're both from NJ and have tons of the same hobbies and other things in common... and yet one guy gets to be a global celebrity solely because he could figure out his webcam.

Happy for the guy, just a bit of a burn that sometimes that's all it comes down to, y'know? Like if I were more tech-savvy, or had nerdy friends, I could'a had his life. I try not to think about it too much, but yeah, it's a bit vexing at times. Really happy for the guy, though.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 12:20 AM   #282
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

You're a very smart and talented individual, Leo. And it's never too late to try something similar. Tech-savvy or not, anyone that rages during a game always makes noise.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 12:30 AM   #283
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Yeah, you totally could have got in there on the ground level, Leo.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 12:54 AM   #284
Leo656
The Franchise

Yeah and now it's too late, pretty sure.

I just do what I do for fun and to kill time, now. The view counts my YouTube page gets are very clear that if I were to try and monetize any of what I do it would be a goddamn disaster. A lot of things in life are just timing, and I missed the window, it is what it is.

Wrestling was the same, guys I run into are constantly like "Man, if you started around like 2000 when we did you would've done a lot better", after WCW got shut down there were a ton of little start-ups all over the place and a lot of the home-grown talent from those companies ended up with stints on TV in TNA and places like that, or even if they didn't they were able to establish themselves enough so that they're still working consistently to this day and have enough of a reputation that they can work as much as they want to and do okay. But I started in 2009, and by then up through Now it's just a bunch of promoters who only book their drinking buddies and if they aren't friends with you in real life they don't have time for you at all, so I never got booked very much and get blackballed from places constantly simply for things like "asking to be paid" or silly sh*t like that. Guys with a decade more experience are constantly telling me, "You really would've cleaned up if you started in 2000 instead of 2009, you're good you just missed the train, everything sucks now so there's no opportunity to even establish yourself."

And it's like, I know, just as I know it's not in any way my fault it all worked out that way. It can just be a little frustrating, sometimes. "If only...", y'know? Like "If only I didn't have to worry about working 7 days a week to not be homeless when I was 18, I could've been a decent indy wrestler, if I lived rent-free with Mommy and Daddy like those other guys were able to." Just didn't have that luxury, couldn't take the risk. "Man, if only I had a webcam in 2006, I could be a Millionaire Internet Celebrity just being myself and never have to leave the house again if I didn't feel like it." It's like you see people living "the life you could've/should've had" and it can really be a bit of an existential crisis.

But that's why I don't really dwell on it. What's done is done, there's no way to change it. And while I appreciate the support, yeah, nah, there's just no way I could ever make something take off Now. For one thing, the market is way too over-saturated with content and it's pretty much impossible for anyone "new" to break in. Like, I do the toy videos thing, but I could never monetize that because the production quality is terrible, partly by choice but partly because of practicality, I don't know how to do that stuff and I can't pay anyone to do it so f*ck it, it's "Wayne's World" level sh*t and that fits my gimmick anyway. But it's not like anyone would ever pay to watch that kinda thing, hardly anybody even watches it for free.

At one point I kinda had aspirations to do something similar to what Wrestling Bios does... but then he went ahead and did it, and is amazing at it without barely trying, and it's like "F*ck". So now that too is a dry well.

At some point the only healthy thing to do is set certain aspirations aside once you realize they're simply not going to pan out. Otherwise you drive yourself crazy with woulda/shoulda/coulda/mighta been, and that's no way to live. Some guys get to be Internet Celebrities because they got in at the right time. I think I could've been a good one, but alas, my destiny is to instead drop dead on the floor of some warehouse while working unpaid overtime and be thrown in a pauper's grave, in spite of All This Charisma.

It's not fair, but then nobody ever said it would be. I'm as at peace with it as I can ever be, it's life, what can ya do.

Old 10-16-2022, 04:23 PM   #285
Prowler
Emperor

The funny thing is, James Rolfe getting big was sort of an accident. The first couple of videos he made were just a joke for his social circle, but then Mike suggested creating a YouTube channel and uploading those two videos... and they got a lot of views and positive feedback.

James just wanted to be a movie director. Not some guy who makes videos reviewing bad old games. Funny how it turned out.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 09:04 PM   #286
Prowler
Emperor

Just watched his latest episode: Doom

Decent episode. Doom sure had a lot of ports and strange unofficial versions.
Old 11-04-2022, 09:27 PM   #287
Leo656
The Franchise

Yeah, I forgot to post about it. I dug it. I don't even think I ever played the game but I'm obviously aware of it, and it was pretty informative. It's cool he got John Romero to be involved, too, he seems like a cool guy who can take a poke at himself from time to time. That's nice.

Old 11-04-2022, 11:12 PM   #288
Prowler
Emperor

I've played the original Doom a few times, but never got around to beat it.

Yeah it's simple and yet still fun for a game that was one of the first of its genre. Wolfenstein 3D came out a year before it and didn't age as well. The turning is rather rough in that game. Doom is definitely a timeless classic. And trust me since I am not a big fan of FPS games.
Old 11-05-2022, 12:02 AM   #289
Leo656
The Franchise

Yeah honestly Bioshock Infinite was the first first-person game I ever played much and I LOVED it, and that got me to reevaluate the entire genre as I'd pretty much dismissed it entirely up until then, but that game was one of those times when "Well if EVERYONE likes it maybe I should give it a try" and then "everyone" was right about how f*cking awesome it was. So now I f*ck with a couple of those games, sometimes. I like that with Elder Scrolls: Oblivion for example you can switch between first-person and third-person, but I end up using first-person a lot more than I expected to because there are times it really is more convenient.

Back in the day I only played a little tiny bit of Quake, Turok, and Duke Nukem, and was absolutely sh*t at all three, so I never touched any first-person games again until Infinite. Some of the older ones legit give me motion sickness migraines, but not more modern ones. So I don't think I'd even be able to successfully play Doom or those other old ones, but I might try one day.

Old 11-05-2022, 08:03 AM   #290
Prowler
Emperor

Oh man, Turok. I thought my brother and I were the only people in the world who didn't fall in love with that game. We both hated the controls.

Goldeneye was the FPS I grew up with. Great game for its time. I didn't really play any other FPS games until I was an adult. I've always avoided COD and such.

I tried Team Fortress 2 and didn't like it much. Borderlands 2 is fun co-op but solo not so much. Deus EX Human Revolution is good but it's a better experience when playing stealth.
Old 11-05-2022, 01:45 PM   #291
neatoman
Emperor

For me I'd say it was Metroid Prime.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 10:15 AM   #292
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Lmao good Doom episode.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 12:38 AM   #293
ssjup81
Foot Elite

I've never been a big fan of FPS games. Not into shooting and stuff, but the first FPS game that I've ever played was Wolfenstein 3D on the old computer I had as a kid. My aunt had it on diskette or maybe CD-Rom...I can't remember now, but I used to play that a lot. I was an idiot, though, because it didn't hit me that my character was trapped in a Nazi camp or whatever and trying to escape it and that what I was hearing were German phrases. lol I never did get to the end of that game to fight against Hitler, though, but still pathetic how I didn't figure that out, even though there was Nazi imagery everywhere and Hitler pictures. I was just having fun playing. lol
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 06:00 PM   #294
NeonTurtledude
Hench Mutant

did you hear about James releasing his book?
NeonTurtledude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 08:08 PM   #295
Prowler
Emperor

New episode out. This one is about Garfield games.

Alright episode but he has barely shown any anger. Felt like he was too self aware and in on the jokes at times.

I didn't expect the twist near the end.

I'm glad he reviewed the Mega Drive Garfield game. It's one of the few games I've had for that system and the only Garfield game I've played to this day. I remember it being hard as hell.

Tags
sumac vs leo656