The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Current Events

Notices

Old 09-17-2019, 11:58 AM   #1
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Vaping leading to deaths

A seventh person has died from "possible" e-cigarette use:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/17/healt...nia/index.html

E-Cigarette bans are already underway in a few states. All of this without any actual proven connection between the deaths and e-cigarettes/vaping and while data is still being gathered.

Where do you guys come down on this?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 12:45 PM   #2
IMJ
Emperor

LOL! -sarcasm- Who would've guessed?

Over the course of my life I've heard hundreds of idiots lie to themselves and others about any given substance. "I only smoke lights". "I only have a few a day." With vaping it was "it's not cigarettes."

I mean, isn't obvious? At least it should be to anyone with half a brain..... if you inhale basically any recreational use material into your lungs then you are eventually going to have a negative respiratory outcome. Hell, even the natural air isn't what it's supposed to be anymore, so what makes anyone think that vaping is "okay"?

But I think it should also be noted that these recent vaping stories do have some similarities to the "Summer of the Shark". I mean - there have to be hundreds of thousands of "vapers" who haven't harmed themselves - yet. I'm just saying this as a counter point. I think it's clear that vaping is a recreation for fools, but in these cases of harm I haven't heard much of anything about interactions (what else was being used), or quantity, etc.

Last edited by IMJ; 09-17-2019 at 12:51 PM.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 02:18 PM   #3
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Yup, lungs don't like and were not meant for anything other than oxygen. Frequently inhaling something else into them... no kidding it may cause problems.

Shame if it really is leading to some deaths, though not at all surprised that there may be ill side effects. It's just a damned shame this stuff is so popular with kids. Saw that coming a mile away, that it would get getting kids addicted in reverse, when this crap first came out. And then they made it worse with flavors.

People are free to take their own risks with this junk though, I guess. It just shouldn't have ever been released to the public without proper studies, warnings, etc in place first.

Me personally... It's just another one of those things that I just don't see any real point in bothering with. Just a waste of money and risk of health, so meh, no thanks.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 02:39 PM   #4
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post

Over the course of my life I've heard hundreds of idiots lie to themselves and others about any given substance. "I only smoke lights". "I only have a few a day." With vaping it was "it's not cigarettes."

I mean, isn't obvious? At least it should be to anyone with half a brain..... if you inhale basically any recreational use material into your lungs then you are eventually going to have a negative respiratory outcome. Hell, even the natural air isn't what it's supposed to be anymore, so what makes anyone think that vaping is "okay"?

But I think it should also be noted that these recent vaping stories do have some similarities to the "Summer of the Shark". I mean - there have to be hundreds of thousands of "vapers" who haven't harmed themselves - yet. I'm just saying this as a counter point. I think it's clear that vaping is a recreation for fools, but in these cases of harm I haven't heard much of anything about interactions (what else was being used), or quantity, etc.
Potheads always use the "weed is harmless while tobacco is evil!" argument. Nothing surprising there. It's sad how a lot of potheads seem to actually believe that hoax.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 02:55 PM   #5
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:

Although all of these cases seem to be traced back to one bootleg batch of weed oil, or something... and even there, nothing conclusive has come of it.

Me, personally... I wouldn't be surprised if there's a connection. What I'm not too keen on is slapping hard legislation based on only circumstantial evidence before anything conclusive is arrived at. Secondly, I'm not too keen on stuff being taken away from adults just to keep them away from children. I know a lot of ladies in their 20s and 30s that love their disgusting strawberry-watermelon or whatever vape. Even dudes that should lose their man card doing the same.

I tried to vape on two different occasions. Both times (separated by months), I ended up getting something like the flu a day or so later. Could be coincidence... no clue. I smoke cigarettes because they're delicious, though I make no bones that as I approach 40 that probably isn't a sustainable business plan for too much longer and will have to give it up.
Old 09-17-2019, 04:13 PM   #6
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
What I'm not too keen on is slapping hard legislation based on only circumstantial evidence before anything conclusive is arrived at.
That's the intellectual evaluation of the situation, and I completely agree you. I've seen a lot of public policy reactions like this across my life, but I can say that "cancel culture" is more prolific nowadays with the "Millenial Mentality".

We used to call this mentality "absolute thinking", and everyone understood that negative descriptor. But somewhere along the way, millenials took a phony "leadership class" and were taught "leaders buck the trends and stay the course!" and so now in arrogance these people argue everything as if they are making the stand that will change the world. I saw the beginnings of this near the end of college and then later while working at a college.

This gives rise to the political-caterer. A politician who uses the millenial mentality for votes, and they appease the millenial mentalities by employing the political version of modern cancel culture. "Ban it!"

Cancel culture. Power for the powerless individual who has some kind of maladaptive life anger but doesn't actually give a **** about anyone else. Sure, those people can hold their own - when they are in a group wearing masks yammering on about old statues and hitting people from behind. Or yammering on about banning things.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 12:26 AM   #7
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
That's the intellectual evaluation of the situation, and I completely agree you. I've seen a lot of public policy reactions like this across my life, but I can say that "cancel culture" is more prolific nowadays with the "Millenial Mentality".

We used to call this mentality "absolute thinking", and everyone understood that negative descriptor. But somewhere along the way, millenials took a phony "leadership class" and were taught "leaders buck the trends and stay the course!" and so now in arrogance these people argue everything as if they are making the stand that will change the world. I saw the beginnings of this near the end of college and then later while working at a college.

This gives rise to the political-caterer. A politician who uses the millenial mentality for votes, and they appease the millenial mentalities by employing the political version of modern cancel culture. "Ban it!"

Cancel culture. Power for the powerless individual who has some kind of maladaptive life anger but doesn't actually give a **** about anyone else. Sure, those people can hold their own - when they are in a group wearing masks yammering on about old statues and hitting people from behind. Or yammering on about banning things.
Suffice to say I agree with all of this.
Old 09-18-2019, 01:37 AM   #8
Wildcat
Foot Elite

There was another smoking topic but my answer is the same. Why does anyone want to smoke in the first place when it’s proven to cause incurable diseases?

As for vaping, not having concrete evidence means nothing. It’s toxic and that’s the point. It’s not an alternative to cigarettes.

It’s funny, I watch a lot of old game show reruns, and just today during an episode of Password Plus the celebrity guest started smoking in the middle of the game.

I understand it was viewed differently then, it was the 70s, but it seriously took me back for a minute. Right in front the contestants. I’m sure you know they sit face to face. He put it down during turns but come on that couldn’t wait?
Old 09-18-2019, 09:46 AM   #9
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
There was another smoking topic but my answer is the same. Why does anyone want to smoke in the first place when it’s proven to cause incurable diseases?
Because cigarettes are delicious. And go great with alcohol -- a two-fer!
Old 09-18-2019, 12:02 PM   #10
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:

As for vaping, not having concrete evidence means nothing. It’s toxic and that’s the point. It’s not an alternative to cigarettes.

It’s funny, I watch a lot of old game show reruns, and just today during an episode of Password Plus the celebrity guest started smoking in the middle of the game.

I understand it was viewed differently then, it was the 70s, but it seriously took me back for a minute. Right in front the contestants. I’m sure you know they sit face to face. He put it down during turns but come on that couldn’t wait?
You could literally ask this about any other unhealthy habit people have, to be fair.

But yeah, I tried tobacco before and it was meh. I bought a Marlboro pack and smoke a couple of cigs. The first puff or two are nice and you feel the effect in your head... but then I felt like I was finishing the cigarette out of obligation. Oh, and my hands stank afterwards. Maybe I needed a few more cigs to get addicted, but no thanks. It's not for me.
Old 09-18-2019, 12:20 PM   #11
AquaParade
Banned

I have some catching up to do on this topic. Are people voicing the idea that Vaping could be a scapegoat in this situation?

EDIT: I guess I'll just do my research and come back.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 03:01 PM   #12
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
I've met people who only smoke when they're drunk. They say it goes well with being drunk.
Old 09-18-2019, 10:55 PM   #13
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Quote:
But seriously the health risks don’t frighten you? We’re talking about some of the absolute worst diseases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
You could literally ask this about any other unhealthy habit people have, to be fair.

But yeah, I tried tobacco before and it was meh. I bought a Marlboro pack and smoke a couple of cigs. The first puff or two are nice and you feel the effect in your head... but then I felt like I was finishing the cigarette out of obligation. Oh, and my hands stank afterwards. Maybe I needed a few more cigs to get addicted, but no thanks. It's not for me.
Ya there’s a lot of unhealthy things you could do. The difference is smoking is literally poisoning your body.

Other things, depending on what it is of course, are fine not as long as they’re done within reason. If the side effects were something tolerable and just inconvenienced you then I could understand indulging.

I don’t drink alcohol either. I’ve tasted beer before and it’s ok I guess but I never desire it. Most I’ve had was half a can on my 21st birthday. I simply do not care for it.

That and I don’t want to get buzzed, drunk or whatever and sick to stomach. I can imagine what a hangover feels like.
Old 09-19-2019, 12:12 PM   #14
turtle1237
Stone Warrior

I don't smoke, but I do enjoy a glass of wine from time to time. I don't drink to get drunk, as long as you don't over do it, you should be ok IE, don't get drunk in other words lol.
turtle1237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 12:48 PM   #15
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Drinking not to get drunk?

Old 09-19-2019, 01:58 PM   #16
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

A person I knew who was a pack a day smoker suddenly started buying vapes one day from where i work, claiming that he wanted to quit for good and that vaping feels amazing to him.

About two weeks later, he was back to smoking, with the tagline that vaping is "gay, and for girls" lol.

I am not very knowledgable about vaping, nor do I have any interest in the habit, nor am I claiming that it is inherently a good thing, but to me, it seems that perhaps, many of the deaths seemingly caused by vaping could be partially attributable to the fact that many Vapers were once extremely heavy cigarette smokers.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 02:43 PM   #17
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Wonder why the change of heart. Sounds like someone picked on him for it.

Quote:
I don’t drink alcohol either. I’ve tasted beer before and it’s ok I guess but I never desire it. Most I’ve had was half a can on my 21st birthday. I simply do not care for it.

That and I don’t want to get buzzed, drunk or whatever and sick to stomach. I can imagine what a hangover feels like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle1237 View Post
I don't drink to get drunk, as long as you don't over do it, you should be ok IE, don't get drunk in other words lol.
Likewise. Was never something I had any interest in or saw the point of. On a rare occasion I'll have one of something, but that's it. Never been drunk and don't care to be. I fully accept that I'm no fun in that department and more of a born "designated driver" type that would rather keep watch over others. Someone's gotta do it. (Oh, hi, unsurprising Leo fan here. lol) Even though other people shirking their own personal responsibility and getting drunk somewhat annoys me, to be honest.

Closest I've had to it, with no alcohol even involved, was after having insomnia and working all day, I came home from work that evening and stupidly had an energy drink with dinner thinking it wouldn't do anything anyhow, since I never really felt like those things did much on the rare occasion I'd had them in the past... then proceeded to once again get no sleep. I had to call out the next day because I couldn't even walk straight, let alone drive. Though I found it a little funny at the moment, I still felt foolish (and lost a day's pay) and that's just not really anything I want to repeat or worse with alcohol.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 06:36 PM   #18
oldmanwinters
Overlord

I've noticed the government is really coming down hard on the vape culture in the last few months. I see anti-vaping commercials on TV everyday, and the local news always runs a story about the dangers of vaping every couple of days. There's a clear organized effort to try and outlaw or hyper-regulate it.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 08:21 PM   #19
Leo656
The Franchise

Man, this place is full'a nerds.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 10:24 PM   #20
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Man, this place is full'a nerds.