The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 03-12-2019, 12:30 AM   #1
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

"Moon Eyes Saga" (Archie)... J.D. Vollman

This appears to be the writer on this. Was this a real person, or a pseudonym for someone? Even another "Dean Clarrain"?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 01:29 AM   #2
bushido
Stone Warrior

According to Mark Pellegrini, it's Steve Murphy. Don't know where he found this information.

*"J.D. Vollman", like "Dean Clarrain", was a pseudonym used by series writer Steve Murphy (why he changed pseudonyms is unknown).

http://tmntentity.blogspot.com/2012/...ntures-67.html

His theory for the name: "Just something I found out today while doing a bit of googling, but a “Mark Volman” was the lead singer of a popular 1960s rock band called The Turtles… Which I think explains the genesis of Murphy's new "J.D. Vollman" pseudonym."

http://tmntentity.blogspot.com/2012/...ntures-68.html
Old 03-12-2019, 01:33 AM   #3
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushido View Post
According to Mark Pellegrini, it's Steve Murphy. Don't know where he found this information.

http://tmntentity.blogspot.com/2012/...ntures-67.html

*"J.D. Vollman", like "Dean Clarrain", was a pseudonym used by series writer Steve Murphy (why he changed pseudonyms is unknown).
Definitely thought that was a distinct possibility. Thanks!
Old 03-22-2019, 07:17 PM   #4
Joey Kamikaze
Stone Warrior

The explanation I've heard before, and who knows if it's true or not, is that the suits were tired of Murphy/Clarrain introducing more mature subject matter and wanted him off the book, so he swapped pseudonyms for this last arc before they just canceled the book entirely.
Joey Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 07:26 PM   #5
oldmanwinters
Overlord

There was fever-pitch tension between Archie's editorial brass and Murphy/Clarrain on account of him pushing the TMNT series more and more into mature territory with stories like Future Shark, Terracide, and Cyber Samurai (Hitler!) arcs. I think Murphy either posted about it on his old blog or else answered a fan question about it in the comments section. He just needed something for Mirage to tell Archie they found a new writer. Of course, Archie then decided to push the Mirage involvement out altogether with the Year of the Turtle mini-series, only to give up on the franchise after the third issue.

I think Murphy first announced to the world he was Dean Clarrain on September 26, 2008, although it was something of a throw-away comment on his old blog as he probably assumed most fans already knew. He didn't exactly try to disguise himself in this old photo printed in the TMNT magazine:

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!

Last edited by oldmanwinters; 03-22-2019 at 07:33 PM.
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 07:53 PM   #6
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
There was fever-pitch tension between Archie's editorial brass and Murphy/Clarrain on account of him pushing the TMNT series more and more into mature territory with stories like Future Shark, Terracide, and Cyber Samurai (Hitler!) arcs. I think Murphy either posted about it on his old blog or else answered a fan question about it in the comments section. He just needed something for Mirage to tell Archie they found a new writer. Of course, Archie then decided to push the Mirage involvement out altogether with the Year of the Turtle mini-series, only to give up on the franchise after the third issue.

I think Murphy first announced to the world he was Dean Clarrain on September 26, 2008, although it was something of a throw-away comment on his old blog as he probably assumed most fans already knew. He didn't exactly try to disguise himself in this old photo printed in the TMNT magazine:
https://i.imgur.com/CDGrUKOh.jpg
That's really unfortunately. Because i loved those stories.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:21 PM   #7
Leo656
The Franchise

Even as a kid I was pretty flabbergasted by what the TMNTA comic was able to get away with. It made me very happy, but it was bizarre just the same. They may have resembled the TMNT characters from the cartoon show, but literally nothing else was the same, and I mean that in the best possible way.

Sigh. Those were the days.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 08:25 PM   #8
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Murphy talks about "J. D. Vollman" beginning at the 48 minute mark of this interview, courtesy of MightyMutanIMAL:
https://nerdyshow.com/2014/05/episod...-steve-murphy/

Murphy has no idea why he picked that particular name and at one point had to be reminded by a fan that he ever used that name.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 08:48 PM   #9
snake
Disgusting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Even as a kid I was pretty flabbergasted by what the TMNTA comic was able to get away with. It made me very happy, but it was bizarre just the same. They may have resembled the TMNT characters from the cartoon show, but literally nothing else was the same, and I mean that in the best possible way.

Sigh. Those were the days.
Seeing Hitler pop up in a turtles comic intended for a slightly younger audience was f*cking bananas.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 08:54 PM   #10
Leo656
The Franchise

Absolutely.

Although I was getting the book off the spinner rack at 7-11, and thus missed quite a few issues which I only managed to find later (still missing a few). So before I actually saw the Hitler thing, I first saw the spread of The Mutanimals with all their guts blown out.

Not what a 10-year old expects to see upon flipping past yet another full-page ad for "Betty & Veronica's Double-Digest Magazine", or whatever. But it was still much appreciated. I mean, I *liked* the characters, but absolutely no part of me expected them to stay dead, because... y'know... I read comic books. So that's a bit of a downer, but all the same, I did and do appreciate that such heavy stakes were thrust into what was ostensibly a "childrens' comic book".

"Bananas", indeed.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 08:55 PM   #11
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Plenty of things super cool in the Archie stuff.
Old 03-23-2019, 03:18 PM   #12
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
Seeing Hitler pop up in a turtles comic intended for a slightly younger audience was f*cking bananas.
And had one of those iconic comic panels. Which was in itself a homage to Captain America punching Hitler.

Old 03-23-2019, 05:07 PM   #13
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
Or having his brain involved in Armaggon's and Verminator X' time machine.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 05:29 PM   #14
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Its stories like that. That I would like to see pop up in the IDW comics.

Its what I loved about the Archie Comics. The Turtles were growing. and not acting like Teenagers any longer. They were becoming more mature as the comics went on.
Old 03-23-2019, 05:34 PM   #15
Igglet

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post

Its what I loved about the Archie Comics. The Turtles were growing. and not acting like Teenagers any longer. They were becoming more mature as the comics went on.
I mean, IDW is mostly doing that too, right? The turtles are a lot more mature than they originally were, their personal development has been one of the pillars of the IDW story.
Old 03-23-2019, 09:22 PM   #16
Joey Kamikaze
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post

I feel like we have gotten pretty good character development and maturation of the leads over the course of the run. I <3 IDW, as someone who grew up reading Archie and Mirage. But I would love to see IDW do a world tour arc for a year or so like Archie did between Midnight Sun and Future Shark Trilogy. Maybe after #100?
Joey Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 05:10 PM   #17
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

International

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Kamikaze View Post
But I would love to see IDW do a world tour arc for a year or so like Archie did between Midnight Sun and Future Shark Trilogy.
A good international storyarc requires:

Reasons why the turtles are travelling. Winning a vacation isn't the best.

Villains to fight. The same bad guys can't just happen to be where the turtles are every time (unless the same villains follow them).

Writers who know a lot about the countries the turtles visit

Things Archie in their international tour and Fred Wolf in Vacation in Europe did well was having Splinter starting as Hamato Yoshi, and being more of a globetrotter rather than full of mysticism.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote