The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 02-13-2020, 02:16 AM   #2
Leo656
The Franchise

I swear I seen that Phelous dude do a cameo on Wrestling With Wregret (quick Google.... YEP, "Rodman Down Under" episode) and I just can't get past his voice. Could be a gimmick but I'unno who'd make themselves sound that way on purpose.

It's like part of me wants to watch more stuff in this vein, but as my wife puts it, "God, why are all these guys who do these videos such f*cking NERDS?"

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 03:05 AM   #3
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Phelous has such a lovely voice, and I mean that with complete sincerity.

Edit: I also realized that the video in question here in unlisted, couldn't find it when I went to his main YouTube page.

Im guessing it's only officially out for his Patreon supporters at this point.

Last edited by FredWolfLeonardo; 02-13-2020 at 03:17 AM.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 04:10 AM   #4
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
I'm watching it with my headphones on and you sit on a throne of lies.

That is still the most goddamn Party City Shredder I've ever seen, except maybe the Coming Out Of Their Shells version.

"Empty and quiet NYC" is as bad here as it was in the Nick cartoon.

Gotta love those Sega CD-level "special" effects. This entire show cost $27.

"It's not terrible" this guys says. What is this, Opposite Day?

All jokes aside, not a bad video. And I agree that maybe if the show hadn't peaked with the very first episode and just gotten worse, it might not have been altogether so terrible. As is, it remains one of the worst things I've ever seen in general, not just TMNT-related. I really don't see how anyone could defend the actual execution of this show. Regardless of whatever ideas they had that may or may not have worked with better execution... come on. What exists of it is wretched. I'd actually re-watched the series just a couple years ago and ALL of this stuff had been wiped from my memory completely until just now. I guess that's the brain's natural defense to trauma.

I'd still rather watch it than Rise, I guess, but that's like saying I'd rather shave off my nipples with a straight razor than try and sew my foreskin back on. In a perfect world neither of those things would even be options.

I immediately thought of Jester when the dude brought up the "The rat had a stick" bit.

Last edited by Leo656; 02-13-2020 at 04:39 AM.
Old 02-13-2020, 01:48 PM   #5
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Ohh, watched the first a couple days ago and didn't expect he'd put out the first ep video so soon. Just recently rewatched this series, too. I kind of enjoy his videos, esp all those on the terrible knock off animated movies.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 12:38 PM   #6
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
Just remember to watch him by fast forwarding at 1/4 speed.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 01:44 PM   #7
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Anyone still watching this. Its hilarious Phelous just rips Next Mutation a new asshole. the best gag is he says Mikey is braindead through out the series
Old 06-26-2020, 02:22 PM   #8
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Yeah, I've caught them all so far, minus the newest. Though I had hoped they'd have been more frequent during the lock down. I guess a person can take only so much Next Mutation at one time.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 03:03 PM   #9
Leo656
The Franchise

Some of us can only handle so much of that guy's voice at one time.

Seriously, that's gotta be a work. People don't sound like that.

Old 06-26-2020, 03:24 PM   #10
Sumac
Banned

Nice series.
I've watched Next Mutation back in 1999 and even had a sticker album, but I pretty much forgot how bad it was. The only thing I remembered it was pretty dumb.

Also, NM's Mikey was a pre-cursor for a somewhat brain-damaged 2K3 Mike and retarded 2k12 mIKeY.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 03:35 PM   #11
turtle1237
Stone Warrior

I hate Splinter. What a song.

I do like Phelous Dingo movie reviews the best. If you want to see the WORSE of the WORSE in cartoons, and having maybe 1 or 2 people dubbing the whole cartoon, watch a Dingo movie.
turtle1237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 05:23 PM   #12
The-Shredder
Hench Mutant

As subpar as this show may be, I'm impressed that he did his research and realized that the episodes on the Shout Factory DVDs are not from the original masters. That's something that almost no one brings up. I wonder if the original Fox Kids version will ever resurface.
The-Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 08:27 AM   #13
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Watching his reviews of this series just proved that my memory of it was more limited than I realized. The one thing I did remember was liking the concept of Venus, but only for the magic stuff because I like magic and fantasy stuff. I remembered wondering where April and Casey were and before watching the reviews, trying to recall what happened to Shredder.

This show is just...awful! I'm now wondering if I watched much of it at all. I remember bits from the first couple of episodes, but beyond that, nothing much other than them doing a crossover with the Power Rangers. ><

Edit: I do remember something else in regards to my feelings of the show back then...I hated the guys hitting on Venus. It was annoying to me.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 08:33 AM   #14
Leo656
The Franchise

I remember being on the bus with some other TMNT fan friends, and we had probably read about it in TV guide or something so we were all hyped for it. Couldn't wait to go home and watch the first episode. Whoooo! New TMNT stuff! The brand was obviously dying so those of us who still cared, cared a lot. It was like getting water in the desert. "TMNT is back!" We were gonna run home, watch it, and talk all about it the next day.

.........So the next morning's bus ride was awkward. Nobody wanted to even talk about it, and when one guy tried to bring it up everyone just groaned and quickly shush'ed them. That was awesome.

My first real Hard Lesson that You Can't Go Home Again and that some things are much better off left in the past where they belong.

Old 07-22-2020, 08:40 AM   #15
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I remember being on the bus with some other TMNT fan friends, and we had probably read about it in TV guide or something so we were all hyped for it. Couldn't wait to go home and watch the first episode. Whoooo! New TMNT stuff! The brand was obviously dying so those of us who still cared, cared a lot. It was like getting water in the desert. "TMNT is back!" We were gonna run home, watch it, and talk all about it the next day.

.........So the next morning's bus ride was awkward. Nobody wanted to even talk about it, and when one guy tried to bring it up everyone just groaned and quickly shush'ed them. That was awesome.

My first real Hard Lesson that You Can't Go Home Again and that some things are much better off left in the past where they belong.
That was my reaction to it too. I was hyped for it. In my area, CBS stopped airing Saturday morning stuff way sooner than ABC and NBC, so that meant no TMNT for me. I was forced to give up my show before I was ready to. I would see it occasionally at that point. I still remember when visiting my aunt in Norfolk and I was excited because I'd be able to watch CBS Saturday morning programming. I was so confused when seeing the skies were red, the channel 6 building was gone, Carter, the designs were changed, the new intro, and all that. I had no idea that the series had changed so much.

Anyway, I was hyped to see that something else TMNT was coming out and since it was live action, I was hoping it would be as cool as the movies (minus 3....and guilty pleasure 2. lol) I thought I gave this show more of a chance...or either I just didn't watch it every week.

I hear the mind tends to block out traumatic experiences.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 08:58 AM   #16
Leo656
The Franchise

Hah, man, I definitely missed a big chunk of FW TMNT episodes at one point, so I was definitely a bit puzzled when I saw the "Red Sky" episodes. It felt like I'd missed about three or four Seasons worth of episodes, when in truth it couldn't have been more than one Season that I missed. But I liked what they were going for! I didn't see enough of it at the time to have a strong opinion, and some of the ideas didn't sit well with me, but on the whole it felt like they were finally trying to catch up to what shows like Batman: TAS were doing. The TMNT cartoon was still more or less the same overall aesthetic well into the 90s that it had been in 1988; the animation and tone and music and overall style was very dated by 1994. Action cartoons had changed quite a bit, especially thanks to Batman and X-Men, and TMNT felt very "soft and fluffy" by comparison, which may have been comforting on some level but also made it feel incredibly stagnant.

I didn't care much for the new theme song; it was okay but I didn't love it, felt kinda lazy honestly, but as soon as I saw those clips from the 1990 movie spliced into the intro, I knew what they were trying to do and I thought it was a great idea. The overall execution of the cartoon in the latter Seaons... eh. I don't think they needed to necessarily throw out as many things as they did and try and cram ALL the new concepts and villains into the mix all at once - I think that merely updating the visuals the way they did and utilizing a more grounded and serious tone would have sufficed. I don't think they needed to get rid of Shredder and April and Channel 6 and all that stuff to the extreme degree that they did, and I don't think the stuff like Dregg and Carter were suitable replacements. It felt like they overreacted; they knew they had to freshen things up, but they threw out the baby with the bathwater and I think that more than anything is why "Red Sky" isn't more fondly remembered. They absolutely had the right idea in how they tried to change the show, they just tried to change Too Much and changed it all at once. That wasn't necessary and it feels like it backfired, to some degree. I think those are some of the "better" Seasons of the show, but mostly because the show itself was a zombie by that point, before they reconfigured it for the last couple Seasons.

Retroactively, the Red Sky in the series is symbolic that the show, and therefore that TMNT "universe", was ending. Anyone who knows DC Comics knows all about their Multiverse and their Crisis cross-overs, and how some universes eventually "die" or get wiped out of existence. And what happens in DC when a Universe is about to get wiped from existence? Red Skies. I think it's supposed to have something to do with the membranes between dimensions breaking down, or something. Anyways, I know that absolutely was NOT what the people working on the TMNT cartoon back then were going for, but you gotta admit, in hindsight it's pretty funny how perfectly it all worked out. Very serendipitous. It's almost Too Perfect that the skies turning red in the TMNT cartoon ended up being a sign that The End Was Near, even though it had to have been 100% a happy accident. It just always really jumped out at me.