The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Video Game Discussion

Notices

Old 06-03-2018, 11:01 AM   #1
ZedsDead
Random Punk

No Konami collection?

Why hasn’t Konami put together a TMNT collection? Put it on all current systems, PC and a green cartridge for the Switch. The arcade games, NES, Gameboy, SNES, Genesis all the way through to Mutant Melee.

I’ve come to the realization that we’ll probably never get that great AAA TMNT game or a retro inspired game so I think this would the next best thing. I’m sure there’s some legalities that might hold it up but I think it’s a great idea.
ZedsDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 12:07 PM   #2
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Because Konami no longer holds the rights to the TMNT games.

Last Movie Watched: Leprechaun Origins (2014).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E11).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 02:34 PM   #3
sdp
-

TMNT is a franchise that can totally make a comeback in the gaming world, the million dollar questions is how. Gamers still associate TMNT with games so it doesn't deserve the same mobile phone crap fate that all other licensed properties will be forever stuck in.

Some licensed properties have been able to escape it so there's always hope. The fact that the last two "aimed at gamers" games Out of the Shadows & Mutants in Manhattan failed likely means no one will try in soonish but I think it'll happen eventually.

As far as Konami, well they don't even care to make games of their own properties so them re-acquiring the TMNT won't happen. It's easier for someone who owns a new license to to license the game code from Konami like Ubisfoft did when they had the TMNT license and re-released the arcade games. A compilation is easier said than done as well, each game requires an emulator, especially if they're from different systems so of course the NES/SNES and Arcade games are more likely to happen but sadly the GameBoy/Genesis or 2k3 games? Not so much. Not enough people care about them to invest in making them playable again.

Who has the TMNT license since it expired anyway?
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 03:20 PM   #4
DevilSpooky
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post

Who has the TMNT license since it expired anyway?
As far as we know no one, hopefully WB because of their inclusion on Injustice though. Activision where the last ones to hold the license but had since lost it/let go of it recently.
Old 06-03-2018, 04:42 PM   #5
ZedsDead
Random Punk

I guess I could have worded that better. Rather, how has a Konami collection not been made yet?

So who would be the parties involved be to make such a collection besides Viacom?
ZedsDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 06:56 PM   #6
CyberCubed
Overlord

TMNT is a licensed property, they can't put all the games out if they don't own it. Activision was the last one to own the TMNT license when they released the latest game on PS4/One, I don't know if they let the license expire or not.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 07:33 PM   #7
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

They're all basically the same game. They should just make one game with randomly generated levels and bosses and it'd be the same difference.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 04:09 PM   #8
DevilSpooky
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedsDead View Post
I guess I could have worded that better. Rather, how has a Konami collection not been made yet?

So who would be the parties involved be to make such a collection besides Viacom?
The very first reply you got already answered your question, because Konami doess't have the rights for the games anymore.

To put it simple, Viacom owns the TMNT brand, but Konami "owns" the source code for the games, so Viacom can't sell the source code for any other company to re-release the games, and Konami can't re-release them again because they don't own the characters. Only way for it to happen is for Konami to buy the license again, but they're more interested in Pachinko machines and mobile games to care, heck, they don't even care about their own IPs anymore...
Old 06-07-2018, 07:57 AM   #9
pferreira
Foot Elite

There's a lot of legal rights issues to wade through before that can be a possibility. If it's seen as profitable enough then however ends up with the video game rights will probably ask some company like Digital Eclipse to port the games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
They're all basically the same game. They should just make one game with randomly generated levels and bosses and it'd be the same difference.
What are you talking about??? How on earth is the 1989 side scrolling platform game anything like the 2003 4kids version?
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 09:50 AM   #10
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
What are you talking about??? How on earth is the 1989 side scrolling platform game anything like the 2003 4kids version?
Oh, those, too? Sure. Those are different.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 10:15 AM   #11
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

The problem is if they make a new TMNT game. It will be based on the current incarnation. So future TMNT games will be based on Rise of the TMNT.

The only exception was the one that Platinum Games created which was based on the designs from IDW. But nobody seems to care about that one since it didn't reviewed well.
Old 06-07-2018, 12:23 PM   #12
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
The problem is if they make a new TMNT game. It will be based on the current incarnation. So future TMNT games will be based on Rise of the TMNT.

The only exception was the one that Platinum Games created which was based on the designs from IDW. But nobody seems to care about that one since it didn't reviewed well.
And i loved that game. Even the GS dude warned me about it when I bought it, but it's fun once you ger the mechanics down.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 04:41 PM   #13
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
And i loved that game. Even the GS dude warned me about it when I bought it, but it's fun once you ger the mechanics down.
I have still to play it but it must pass the Donatello test. If Donatello is the best character to use in the game it's a good one. It's true, yep.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 12:22 AM   #14
Panther10
Hench Mutant

A Konami collection would actually be pretty nice considering how popular these retro consoles have become within the last few years. I mean the konami titles would make up about what, maybe 10 games? That's a pretty sweet bundle. I would play the hell out of those games. Especially if they were on the consoles that re render the old games in HD.
Panther10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 07:39 AM   #15
Sumac
Banned

Most likely never will happen.
Konami is not interested in making games, aside from small collections.

And even if they do some sort of collection, there will be a lot of omissions, because, a lot of their games have been based on licensed properties, like TMNT.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 09:37 AM   #16
IMJ
Emperor

I would buy a collection like this in a heartbeat! And now that I think about it, I haven't seen a Konami game in years.... do they still make Metal Gear Solid?
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 11:27 AM   #17
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

If a new TMNT game ever gets made. It will be based on Rise this time around.

Every time they make a new game. Its always based on the current version of TMNT.

Mutants in Manhattan was the only game that was more like IDW then the others.

I would love for Konami to put out some TMNT collection that features all the games they released. From Arcade, NES, Gameboy, SNES, Genesis, and whatever.
Old 11-17-2018, 04:02 PM   #18
Panther10
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
If a new TMNT game ever gets made. It will be based on Rise this time around.

Every time they make a new game. Its always based on the current version of TMNT.

Mutants in Manhattan was the only game that was more like IDW then the others.

I would love for Konami to put out some TMNT collection that features all the games they released. From Arcade, NES, Gameboy, SNES, Genesis, and whatever.

Well no one is suggesting a new game. If anything this would be a catalog of old retro titles that came out in the 1990's like the first game, the arcade game, turtles in time, Turtles in Time, Manhattan Missions, Hyperstone Heist, Fall of the Foot Clan, the 2k3 games... So this list of games would be similiar to what Capcom did when they released their "Marvel vs Capcom origins" a few years back which was basically just the original 2-D fighting platform games. Midway did it was well with their old "Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection" games. And lets not forget that Nintendo does this same tactic with their Mario titles with virtually each new console release.
Panther10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 06:01 PM   #19
DevilSpooky
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
I would buy a collection like this in a heartbeat! And now that I think about it, I haven't seen a Konami game in years.... do they still make Metal Gear Solid?
They do, but it's an online-only zombie game now... Yeah, don't even ask...
Old 11-19-2018, 03:27 PM   #20
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilSpooky View Post
They do, but it's an online-only zombie game now... Yeah, don't even ask...
I was gonna say. Only non-canon spin-off games from now on, it would appear. And "Metal Gear Survive" tanked pretty hard by all accounts. So "Metal Gear" is probably a dead brand. Kind of a shame, as I would have loved a sequel to ReVengeance if nothing else, but no Kojima = No Sale.

I do kinda feel bad for Konami, though; the current game marketplace has people only buying 2 or 3 "big" games every year, and if yours isn't one of those "big" franchises, there's no point staying in the business as you're not gonna make any money.

I imagine that even getting the rights sorted out to do a re-release of the old TMNT games would be nothing short of a nightmare at this point. They couldn't even market it without spending a bunch of money to "remaster" the old games first, since that's what everyone demands now. They'd never make back whatever they'd spend on that, plus legal fees and license negotiations, so it's ultimately pointless.

If it was a "straight" re-release bundle with no upgrades or anything, it's a long shot but possible. But given how everything MUST be given an HD coat of paint nowadays, it's a hard No Chance.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote