The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 12-20-2019, 08:34 AM   #241
Cloudrunner
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
I essentially agree. It depends on the type of tone you've established but it's hard to ignore how easily characters like Jennika seem to have transitioned. May sound crass but I'd be freaking out over my sexual organs and digestive system, for one thing.
On one hand, you could argue it doesn't matter to the story, but to me, it's difficult to accept so easily.
Well apparently the Jennika mini is exploring that aspect... after the fact. I think that's just an issue of the fast pace of the comic's main story not having enough time to develop those parts of a character, so they get relegated to minis (or the Universe books). I remember Alopex had a similar issue, where she was apparently still recovering from the shock of freeing herself from Kitsune's mind control, even though at the end of the issue where Angel and Raph rescued her, she seemed perfectly fine. But they devoted 2 Universe issues to her "recovery" (even though that quickly switched to a story about Toad Baron). I guess the point is you'll have to just... ignore continuity a bit in favor of character growth. They are exploring the psychological effects of her mutation... just well after it happened.
Cloudrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 03:35 PM   #242
CyberCubed
Overlord

Remember these are normal people changed into mutants. Jennika is at least a well trained ninja interacting with mutants all the time and her personality can adapt to change quickly. And it's not like Bebop/Rocksteady who WANTED to be mutants.

It's normal people transformed into animals. I don't know about you but if I woke up one day and discovered I became a goat man or a talking giraffe and I lost my entire human identity with a entirely different form and animal instinct, I'd have a mental breakdown.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 03:41 PM   #243
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Remember these are normal people changed into mutants. Jennika is at least a well trained ninja interacting with mutants all the time and her personality can adapt to change quickly. And it's not like Bebop/Rocksteady who WANTED to be mutants.

It's normal people transformed into animals. I don't know about you but if I woke up one day and discovered I became a goat man or a talking giraffe and I lost my entire human identity with a entirely different form and animal instinct, I'd have a mental breakdown.
That's the thing, their identity and personality are still the same. Only their bodies change, not their minds. Sure, there might be some trauma there from the transformation, but all things considered, Hob actually improved on them. Pretty much the only advantage we humans have over other animals is our intellect, and the people who were mutated retain that on top of their bodies' new animal traits and a general physical enhancement (strength, etc, as we've seen all mutants have over humans) to boot! Goats, for instance, are excellent climbers, something we humans often struggle to accomplish without the assistance of specialized tools and/or other humans. Gaining that skill and retaining one's intellect? Doesn't sound that bad to me.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 03:54 PM   #244
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenOne View Post
That's the thing, their identity and personality are still the same. Only their bodies change, not their minds.
If you really get down to it, not exactly. If I got exposed to some ooze and became Otter Man, my memories would be intact, sure... but my brain would've changed in the mutation, too. There would be different brain chemicals, different hormones, different everything. I would still be "in there," but I would be thinking at least a good bit differently.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 04:02 PM   #245
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
That's the thing, their identity and personality are still the same. Only their bodies change, not their minds. Sure, there might be some trauma there from the transformation, but all things considered, Hob actually improved on them. Pretty much the only advantage we humans have over other animals is our intellect, and the people who were mutated retain that on top of their bodies' new animal traits and a general physical enhancement (strength, etc, as we've seen all mutants have over humans) to boot! Goats, for instance, are excellent climbers, something we humans often struggle to accomplish without the assistance of specialized tools and/or other humans. Gaining that skill and retaining one's intellect? Doesn't sound that bad to me.
Lol I love you for taking this route but good luck convincing that to someone who has a mutant ass and can't get a date Saturday night.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 04:44 PM   #246
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
If you really get down to it, not exactly. If I got exposed to some ooze and became Otter Man, my memories would be intact, sure... but my brain would've changed in the mutation, too. There would be different brain chemicals, different hormones, different everything. I would still be "in there," but I would be thinking at least a good bit differently.
Exactly, think of it like how going through puberty, getting old or taking drugs can make radical changes to your brain.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 05:24 PM   #247
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Well, Bebop and Rocksteady are still the same. Sure, there wasn't much brain there to speak of in the first place, but their personalities remained intact. They just leveled up. Same with Dreadmon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
Lol I love you for taking this route but good luck convincing that to someone who has a mutant ass and can't get a date Saturday night.
Well, that's what Mutant Town is for! They're no longer alone. If a turtle and a fox can make it work...

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Exactly, think of it like how going through puberty, getting old or taking drugs can make radical changes to your brain.
We haven't seen the mutagen to have an addictive effect, so the drugs comparison is (IMHO) off the table. And puberty... Don't people usually come out the other side of that a lot better than they started, in every possible way?
Old 12-21-2019, 07:57 AM   #248
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:

We haven't seen the mutagen to have an addictive effect, so the drugs comparison is (IMHO) off the table. And puberty... Don't people usually come out the other side of that a lot better than they started, in every possible way?
I don’t think neatoman was saying mutagen is addictive; merely that it likely affects one’s brain chemistry rather significantly, like long term hardcore drug use could
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 08:20 AM   #249
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
I don’t think neatoman was saying mutagen is addictive; merely that it likely affects one’s brain chemistry rather significantly, like long term hardcore drug use could
I realized that after I replied, but decided not to edit it because more often than not, the addiction itself is just as much a cause of changes in an addict's personality as the physical effects of the drugs. And we haven't seen any negative side effects of the mutagen on mutated individuals' minds either.
Old 12-21-2019, 04:28 PM   #250
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
And puberty... Don't people usually come out the other side of that a lot better than they started, in every possible way?
I'm not refering to a degenerative change there, just a change in general.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 04:43 PM   #251
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
I'm not refering to a degenerative change there, just a change in general.
Oh. My bad. Since you put it in front of two other types of change that tend to produce bad results, I sort of lumped them together in that sense.
Old 12-22-2019, 03:55 PM   #252
shredder orokusaki
Mad Scientist

I finaly took my revenge and this Splinter is also dead! Now with Bishop also dead no one can stop me and i will conquer New York