The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 06-25-2020, 05:51 AM   #1
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

What Should the Turtles Wear?

As the TMNT have evolved, artistically there have been many revisions done to their costumes or additions to lack of a costume.

What IN YOUR OPINION, should the TMNT wear? Standard headbands, belts, body pads? Or should they be decked out in more?

It has become popular in recent years for artists to depict their feet being wrapped in padding too, which I sometimes like as the idea of "taped" ankles makes practical sense. Other looks include forearm and muscle bands that match the color of their respective masks. There have been a lot of variations, but most often I guess I just prefer the headband, belts, elbow and knee pad looks.

Thoughts?
PizzaPower1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 06:03 AM   #2
AquaParade
Banned

The classic design is great, but I've really grown to appreciate seeing them in somewhat makeshift clothing. I actually appreciate what PD was going for in that sense.

The clothing can be visually appealing, inform you of chatacter traits, and humanize the characters.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 06:55 AM   #3
newfan
Mad Scientist

I guess it depends on design and tone etc though I've not felt myself wanting them to wear clothes in the versions I've seen.

I liked the knee/elbow padding that Henson's and 2012 had, also for 2012 the wrapping they had, this suited their designs, I am fine either way if the wrapping is used or not elsewhere though. I can get designs like PD having some clothing, still the preference would be without additional clothing but a small amount can be used if suited, I'm not in favour of the idea of full body stuff.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 07:23 AM   #4
neatoman
Emperor

I've been a proponent that having them wear different gear can work in favor of making them look different from each other, without giving them different physical features or even resorting to the masks being different colors. As long as you don't go overboard, like with PD Don, it should be a step in the right direction of making them different without being childish about it.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 07:48 AM   #5
AquaParade
Banned

To add to my previous answer, I think it's really just a matter of what makes sense in that universe.

- Did the mutagen make the turtles warm-blooded? Do they get cold?

- Exactly how much of a pounding can their feet take before they need some foot protection?

- Is the idea to express a longing for belonging and humanity? Do the turtles have a desire to express themselves? Maybe some do, some don't.

I think that is how you arrive at the answer.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 08:12 AM   #6
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post
I guess it depends on design and tone etc though I've not felt myself wanting them to wear clothes in the versions I've seen.

I liked the knee/elbow padding that Henson's and 2012 had, also for 2012 the wrapping they had, this suited their designs, I am fine either way if the wrapping is used or not elsewhere though. I can get designs like PD having some clothing, still the preference would be without additional clothing but a small amount can be used if suited, I'm not in favour of the idea of full body stuff.
If it depends on tone, does that imply that a lighter tone, a more comedic tone, would have them wearing something, anything more than their traditional belts and pads?

The PD films certainly were not serious in tone and the turtles were dressing up in a decidedly ugly fashion. Am I wrong to think that turtles dressing up in necklaces, tennis shoes, hats and fancy duds doesn't help the franchise to get away from its silly branding?

I don't wanna see Mikey or Raph dress like rappers just as much as I don't wanna see Donnie wear eyeglasses or a lab coat just to make him look like a science-nerd-intellectual type. And Leo wearing samurai armor or bushido gear doesn't work in most cases either, perhaps unless he's training in the lair.
Old 06-25-2020, 08:12 AM   #7
Whatswiththeheadbands?
The Weed of Crime

Old 06-25-2020, 09:21 AM   #8
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaPower1985 View Post
If it depends on tone, does that imply that a lighter tone, a more comedic tone, would have them wearing something, anything more than their traditional belts and pads?

The PD films certainly were not serious in tone and the turtles were dressing up in a decidedly ugly fashion. Am I wrong to think that turtles dressing up in necklaces, tennis shoes, hats and fancy duds doesn't help the franchise to get away from its silly branding?

I don't wanna see Mikey or Raph dress like rappers just as much as I don't wanna see Donnie wear eyeglasses or a lab coat just to make him look like a science-nerd-intellectual type. And Leo wearing samurai armor or bushido gear doesn't work in most cases either, perhaps unless he's training in the lair.
Tone isn't really something I should have used there, designs more so. So far as how they dressed them, I simply meant that I can see them using some clothing here and not that I liked what they did with them.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 11:19 AM   #9
Galactus
Foot Elite

I tend to think that the simpler the better. Leather belts, pads and bandannas. Only Leo and Don should have straps to hold their scabbards.

I can get behind taped ankles as it does make practical sense. I don't mind Don having some tech and some pouches to carry it. I don't mind the high tech goggles either but it shouldn't be permently attached to his head. That's as far as I'd take it. Nothing more.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 12:40 PM   #10
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
- Did the mutagen make the turtles warm-blooded? Do they get cold?
The answer is in Napoleon Bonafrog: Colossus of the Swamps (for that universe).
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 01:36 PM   #11
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Whatever "they" want, so long as it isn't too ridiculous. Love the classic look, but some clothing for warmth or a disguise is fine. Or for modesty to avoid green butt shots in PD films that tried to go more realistic than usual.

I always love the awesome art out there of them in ninja or samurai garb.

Always found Turtles in clothing kind of adorable, so I'm fine with some amount sometimes that makes sense and suits them. The PD films may have gone a bit too busy with it in some ways, esp the first, but I kind of like the regular pants on them in the sequel and would not be opposed to pants elsewhere on occasion. And living in a city and traversing a grimy sewer and unable to get medical attention of a wound gets infected, footwear just simply makes sense.

Outside of a jacket for warmth or disguise though, I think it's better to just keep the upper body bare, save for Leo and Donnie's weapon straps. Shirts are just too restrictive and bulky looking.

But stick to the classic belts, pads, masks, maybe wrappings, look most of the time.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 06-25-2020 at 01:47 PM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 02:12 PM   #12
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Or for modesty to avoid green butt shots in PD films that tried to go more realistic than usual.
Oh, yeah, I'm sure it was torture. Your poor eyes.

I generally prefer a minimalist style akin to the 1990 film, but I don't altogether hate the wraps and other "flair" so long as it doesn't go overboard. As I've said elsewhere, though, from my own locker room experience all those wraps are gonna be a pain in the ass to take off. Especially if they're tape rather than cloth. But that's my own hang-up, I know.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 03:10 PM   #13
sleeplessknight
Thug

All red headbands and just enough straps and belts to stow their gear. Oh, and knee and elbow pads.
sleeplessknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 03:55 PM   #14
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Whatever "they" want, so long as it isn't too ridiculous. Love the classic look, but some clothing for warmth or a disguise is fine. Or for modesty to avoid green butt shots in PD films that tried to go more realistic than usual.

I always love the awesome art out there of them in ninja or samurai garb.

Always found Turtles in clothing kind of adorable, so I'm fine with some amount sometimes that makes sense and suits them. The PD films may have gone a bit too busy with it in some ways, esp the first, but I kind of like the regular pants on them in the sequel and would not be opposed to pants elsewhere on occasion. And living in a city and traversing a grimy sewer and unable to get medical attention of a wound gets infected, footwear just simply makes sense.

Outside of a jacket for warmth or disguise though, I think it's better to just keep the upper body bare, save for Leo and Donnie's weapon straps. Shirts are just too restrictive and bulky looking.

But stick to the classic belts, pads, masks, maybe wrappings, look most of the time.
I quite like looking at fan art takes were they are wearing different clothes particularly samurai or ninja garb too but I kinda think for an 'official' version they're never going to have a consensus of what looks good which is why I think it's best to stick to simpler designs.

The PD designs of their anatomy are so flawed though. Their plastron being like molded onto their muscles meant they couldn't follow it through below their torso otherwise the crotch area would more than a little weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
As I've said elsewhere, though, from my own locker room experience all those wraps are gonna be a pain in the ass to take off. Especially if they're tape rather than cloth. But that's my own hang-up, I know.
That's where your suspension of disbelief gets tested with this franchise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeplessknight View Post
All red headbands and just enough straps and belts to stow their gear. Oh, and knee and elbow pads.
Keep this up and you and Andrew may just have to kiss.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 03:59 PM   #15
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

I think the design as it came out of the comics and bled into the OT kinda is what TMNT is. You start adding too many bells and whistles and they become unrecognizable. Like I've seen fan art where Mikey's wearing a gold chain and Leo is wearing a blue jacket and it's marks a lot of what I think many fans get wrong. Too many fans (and even some creators) emphasize the TEENAGE part.

Mutant Ninja Turtles is the concept. The teenage part is just their age. It comes out in their humor and maybe their hobbies. You don't need to have them dressing like teenagers.

If Mikey wants to collect a bunch of comic books and ride a skateboard OR if Raph wants to blast rap or heavy metal music from headphones, great. If Donnie wants to obsess over high school and college text books... great! They don't need "KEWL" threads to match. I think IF ANYTHING NEEDS TO BE EMPHASIZED... it's the NINJA part of their identities.

Last edited by PizzaPower1985; 06-25-2020 at 04:06 PM.
Old 06-25-2020, 04:37 PM   #16
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Oh, yeah, I'm sure it was torture. Your poor eyes.
lol Well none of those views present either way, so not really.

If some people had gotten their way though and lost the clothing for that second film... that would have seemed sooo awkward. Though if they showed up with only the classic look it would have been hilarious to have "April" question their sudden nudity.

Quote:
As I've said elsewhere, though, from my own locker room experience all those wraps are gonna be a pain in the ass to take off.
Although they might have it easier, removing it from reptile skin vs human mammal?
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 05:18 PM   #17
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Bare minimum.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 05:26 PM   #18
triplexxx
Mad Scientist

The standard look has always worked best, and with the exception of time spent undercover/disguise, that's how it should stay. Like was said elsewhere, constant revamping of this is probably a bad idea, some traditions shouldn't be strayed away from and perfection shouldn't try to be improved upon.
Please don't shoot me Mr. Big Mike. I'm too young and good-looking to die, well too young. I got a father, I got a mother, I got a grandmother, I got a little sister...and a little brother this high (raises hand), and a little brother this high (lowers hand), and little brother this high (lowers hand), and a little brother this high (lowers hand), and a little brother this high (lowers hand) and then I got a great big brother this high (slaps gun and runs).
"Fright Night" - Three Stooges
triplexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 05:54 PM   #19
D-ray
Foot Soldier

I just stick to the turtles only wearing protections.
Just like those on the elbow and knee, they have way more sense instead the absurd amount of gadgets and stuff attached to their body (*coff* *coff* Michael Bay).

I also agree on them "wearing" rags for hands and feets as they can be commonly used to easily walk and climb stuff, without damaging the turtle's skin (even tho I doubt that their "scales" can be so easily damageable).
Instead of the belts, I would prefer a more appropriate quiver for their weapons, but I ain't sure how it would work for Donatello or Michelangelo.

I think that the "naked" part is ok, since you need to know that they are turtles, and I think they would be way more confortable not wearing any clothes, since they could slow them down.
Generally, If they woul wear something, I should be really light in order to not slow em' down, and not to big in order to not cover the "character parts".

VICTORY!"
D-ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 06:11 PM   #20
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

THIS IS PAGE 21 of the Kevin Eastman book. Posting for Educational and Academic purposes. No infringement intended.