The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Video Game Discussion

Notices

Old 03-11-2021, 10:17 AM   #81
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingtheory View Post
At the same time though as someone whose been impatiently waiting for a good current gen game I can't really shake my disappointment that after all these years apparently the best we can ever hope for is STILL a fw inspired side scrolling beat'em up.
I am more dissappointed that after years of having one good comedy series (FW) and one serious one (2003) and the first movie, TMNT franchise was unable to bear anything more than 2012 series and Rise.

As for the games, as long as its good and with designs I like - I am cool with it. It's better than nothing or some ugly mobile ****.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 10:51 AM   #82
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Thanks for the heads up!

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 12:44 PM   #83
Mexiun
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
I mean if we get mutagen man I want the toy version not the cartoon one, just like with Slash etc.
Same, i'm afraid that if Slash is in the game that he'll look like that awful weird bucktooth cartoon version, such an awful design.
Mexiun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 03:10 PM   #84
Last Ronin
Hench Mutant

I am soooo hyped for this game it's not even funny not a single bit funny.
Last Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 03:20 PM   #85
oldmanwinters
Overlord

I don't have the right hardware to run the TwitterSpaces App, but anybody able to listen to the interview with the game devs?

I saw this reaction posted on Discord:
"they’re treating the levels like a tv episode that leads up to the main attraction which he didn’t spoil"

"Smoother to chain combos"

"Footage we saw is alpha said they are far along"

View my sketch work!
Old 03-11-2021, 03:28 PM   #86
RaphaelinSTL
Mad Scientist

Listening too!

Sounds like the animation was just for the trailer ... but they could do more for the game.
Old 03-11-2021, 03:43 PM   #87
Mexiun
Foot Soldier

Wait the interview is getting posted for desktop right?
I want to listen to it without being spoiled.
Mexiun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 03:54 PM   #88
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Summary from a Discord user who listened to the conversation:
Quote:
They said seven months to make the trailer.
- Great fans of the arcade and the SNES game.
- Some of them worked on the GBA game at Ubisoft.
- Years wanting to do this game, but Activision had the rights.
- DotEmu also wanted the game, and they all meet at GDC three years ago.
- Made a pitch at Nickelodeon.
- It's not easy for a small French indie team to get these licenses, but making more and more games made it easier.
- Nickelodeon actually contacted Dotemu after Wonder Boy The Dragon's Trap and told them they wanted to make games together. Dotemu picked TMNT instantly.
- It took a long time to get all the details of the game and approve all of them, but the first Design Document was approved right away.
- A revisit of the Konami classics with new formulas and features. Wanted to polish the outdated aspects of the old games.
- 4-coop online confirmed.
- Aiming for each stage to be like an episode with a contained story, also of course coming to the big story (they didn't want to reveal anything).
- Smoother to chain combos, there are special attacks (really flashy ones).
- Development is at alpha stage, but it's pretty far along. Some changes of the trailer are already changed or improved (like menus or balancing).
- Both teams wanted to work on the 87' designs from the start and nothing else.
- Wizz studio in Paris did the new intro animation.
- TMNT theme, they wanted to do something new but faithful to the original.
- They had Patton via some contacts from their Streets of Rage 4 and discovered he was also a fan of the series and theme.
- Animation are only for the trailer, the game will have cutscenes but with in-game art style (but this could change, as this is alpha stage).

Questions from people:
- New things? Date? --> There will be unique things but they want to surprise and not talk about them still.
- April or Splinter playable? --> No comment (laughs)
I'm encouraged to hear this team contains some veterans of TMNT GBA.

View my sketch work!
Old 03-11-2021, 03:59 PM   #89
CyberCubed
Overlord

No word on any voice acting yet? It's not a deal breaker since none of the old games had the voices, but it would be cool if they can work with Nick and get the 80's actors to reprise their roles. Even if I guess it'd just be for a few short lines or catch phrases through the game.

Hopefully the game has at least 8-10 levels, I don't want it to be too short.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 04:00 PM   #90
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
No word on any voice acting yet? It's not a deal breaker since none of the old games had the voices, but it would be cool if they can work with Nick and get the 80's actors to reprise their roles. Even if I guess it'd just be for a few short lines or catch phrases through the game.

Hopefully the game has at least 8-10 levels, I don't want it to be too short.
If I had been able to log into the conversation at the start, I definitely would have asked about that!

View my sketch work!
Old 03-11-2021, 04:57 PM   #91
CyberCubed
Overlord

Maybe they don't know themselves yet, usually voice acting in a game like this is one of the last things they add to it.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 05:01 PM   #92
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Maybe they don't know themselves yet, usually voice acting in a game like this is one of the last things they add to it.
I expect voice recording would probably be handled by Nickelodeon's side, since they would probably get the actors to come into their California studio to record, as seems to be the case.

View my sketch work!
Old 03-11-2021, 06:03 PM   #93
Tuxedo Moroboshi
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
- Both teams wanted to work on the 87' designs from the start and nothing else.
Hmmm, I can applaud the desire for consistency, but the old Konami games did still mix in a few things from other canons of the time. Depending on just how faithful they wanna be to the cartoon, I fear for what Slash would look like.
Tuxedo Moroboshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 07:27 PM   #94
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Its interesting that Rise did not get a game made for it, All the past incarnation had games.
Old 03-11-2021, 07:44 PM   #95
sdp
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
Its interesting that Rise did not get a game made for it, All the past incarnation had games.
Where is the next Mutation game ?
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 07:47 PM   #96
AquaParade
Banned

Awesome news. I loved the old Konami games like everyone else, so if they can modernize the gameplay just a bit, I’m excited.

I’d like to see something more ambitious, but maybe this can be the steppingstone to that. It’s picking up a lot of steam online already. TMNT is on somewhat of a roll if you’re paying attention to the comics, figures, and games. Lots of attention within each medium.
If we can just get a movie worthy of the franchise and true to the comic roots, the franchise would honesty be at peak performance. That’s a big ask, but I feel like it’s the only base that isn’t really covered in some way now.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 08:36 PM   #97
Leo656
The Franchise

Nah, if this game does well then they'd just keep cranking out more games in the exact same vein, or adding DLC content to it. For as cool as this could be, it's a pretty clear sign that they've completely given up on ever doing a "real" TMNT game in the near future. And that's disheartening.

Better than nothing, I guess.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 09:20 PM   #98
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Nah, if this game does well then they'd just keep cranking out more games in the exact same vein, or adding DLC content to it. For as cool as this could be, it's a pretty clear sign that they've completely given up on ever doing a "real" TMNT game in the near future. And that's disheartening.

Better than nothing, I guess.
Hmm, I don't see how that is clear. Different types of games always come and go for franchises like this. Could have said the same about Spider-Man before Insomniac took the reins. Same with Batman before Arkham.
This is a cheaper way to dip their foot back in. If there is a lot of interest, they'll want to at least look at the possibility of a bigger gamble and bigger return. More of the same makes sense too, but I see no reason to count anything else out.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 09:21 PM   #99
Prowler
Emperor

The best TMNT games from the 80s and 90s are still fun to this day. So if this game turns out to be as fun as games from that era then I'll have no complaints. Even if it turns out to be more like The Manhattan Project than the SNES version of Turtles in Time.

Now, a new TMNT Tournament Fighters would be really sweet!
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 09:42 PM   #100
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
Hmm, I don't see how that is clear. Different types of games always come and go for franchises like this. Could have said the same about Spider-Man before Insomniac took the reins. Same with Batman before Arkham.
This is a cheaper way to dip their foot back in. If there is a lot of interest, they'll want to at least look at the possibility of a bigger gamble and bigger return. More of the same makes sense too, but I see no reason to count anything else out.
TMNT isn't 1/10th as big as Batman and Spider-Man. The market won't support more than one TMNT game at a time and no developer is going to allocate the resources to more than one game at a time, either.

The last "real" TMNT game came out over 5 years ago, and we haven't heard a single peep about another one since then. There's no interest. MiM was more than good enough, but people said it was crap anyway even though it wasn't, so nobody's going to bother trying to make another "real" game anytime soon. What's the point? A lot of time, money and effort went into MiM only for it to under-perform under a ton of what was honestly really bad criticism.

Shortsighted and myopic people crowed loudly for five years, "All we want or will accept is another Turtles In Time type of game, so just give us that", and the Powers-That-Be finally listened. Those types of games are much easier (and cheaper) to produce and there's very little risk involved; walk left-to-right, bash bad guys, repeat for 8 or 10 levels, and people will dogpile each other to play it.

And that's perfectly fine. But it also leaves them NO reason to even try to develop a "real" game anytime in the near future. "Out of the Shadows" and "Mutants In Manhattan" were both reasonably good games, but after all the money and work that went into producing them only for the fans to puke them back out, you can put money down that nobody else is gonna even attempt such an endeavor anytime soon.

And why would they? They can spend a fraction of the budget on something like this and they already know it's going to be a huge hit. Thus, if it makes a huge splash, that doesn't mean anything for the future of TMNT games other than "This works, let's just keep doing this."

The entire video game industry is in a "No Risk/Big Reward" mindset and has been for years now. To expect anything different is kind of silly. Especially for a "dead" brand that's only being kept alive through people's collective nostalgia for 30+ years ago.

If I'm wrong and someone does make a "real" TMNT game within the next decade, then great. But they won't. I promise you that nobody in any position of power is even discussing that as a hypothetical.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote