The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 12-01-2022, 03:11 PM   #1
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol 3 May 5, 2023

Old 12-01-2022, 03:18 PM   #2
oldmanwinters
Overlord

I was shocked they avoided making the awkward humor attempt until the tail end of that trailer.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 03:23 PM   #3
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Batista smacking that kid in the head with the basketball was hilarious.

Last Movie Watched: Leprechaun Origins (2014).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E11).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 03:26 PM   #4
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Deadman View Post
yes yes it was
Old 12-02-2022, 08:34 AM   #5
drgon78
Mad Scientist

Might actually see this one.
drgon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 09:10 AM   #6
ZariusTwo
Overlord

These films just keep getting worse
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 09:31 AM   #7
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
These films just keep getting worse
I thought the second one was really good but I'm still looking forward to "space superhero's" somewhere rather than "space pirates". It'd be great to see characters flying through space on-screen rather than flying a ship through space on screen.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 11:01 AM   #8
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Yeah, I'd say the second movie was actually better than the first. But boy, there's a Kevin Smith-like quality to these where it feels even a few movies in now, that we're mostly just treading water with the characters. There is no real interest from Gunn into elevating them into straight up superheroes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Deadman View Post
I admit, I did do a spit-take on that moment.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 04:46 PM   #9
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Old 02-12-2023, 04:55 PM   #10
Cowabung-Gal
Mad Scientist

Wait…did they just…tease Star-Lord X Nebula?

Old 02-12-2023, 05:34 PM   #11
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

We finally get to see Gamora speak in this trailer and how this past version of her feels about being with the team. I don't think she was talking in the last trailer.
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 03:20 PM   #12
neatoman
Emperor

I was surprised to see how far down this thread was...

Anyway, I've seen it, so I might as well address some questions people have:
Spoiler:
None of the major characters die, contrary to what some alleged leaks might have claimed.

Rocket is indeed confirmed to be a mutated earth raccoon. By the end he embraces his... Raccoon heritage? I guess?

The High Evolutionary's interest in Rocket is that while he is an otherwise crude prototype he didn't intend to be special, he is literally the only one of his creations that was able to innovate rather than just memorise formulas, so he needs to study Rocket's brain in order to learn how this came to be and how to implement it in future creations.

Despite the High Evolutionary explicitly using earth as a basis for his counter-earth, down to mutating its creatures and copying human technology for them to use, he is not from earth himself. He just kind of picked earth because he thought it was a suitable template.

Phyla-Vell is in this movie. In case you were wondering about her origin since she can't both be half-Eternal or Mar-Vell's daughter because the MCU had changed so much about them, she is a creation of the High Evolutionary. It is possible that he might have uncovered the Celestials' formula for the Eternals or maybe he used Kree as a basis but that is not stated.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 04:04 PM   #13
Cowabung-Gal
Mad Scientist

My mom’s gonna bawl her eyes out at the part where it seems that…

Spoiler:
Rocket has died

She blubbered at the end of Vol. 2. Better bring a tissue box with me to the theater.
Old 05-03-2023, 04:17 PM   #14
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
I was surprised to see how far down this thread was...

Anyway, I've seen it, so I might as well address some questions people have:
Spoiler:
None of the major characters die, contrary to what some alleged leaks might have claimed.

Rocket is indeed confirmed to be a mutated earth raccoon. By the end he embraces his... Raccoon heritage? I guess?

The High Evolutionary's interest in Rocket is that while he is an otherwise crude prototype he didn't intend to be special, he is literally the only one of his creations that was able to innovate rather than just memorise formulas, so he needs to study Rocket's brain in order to learn how this came to be and how to implement it in future creations.

Despite the High Evolutionary explicitly using earth as a basis for his counter-earth, down to mutating its creatures and copying human technology for them to use, he is not from earth himself. He just kind of picked earth because he thought it was a suitable template.

Phyla-Vell is in this movie. In case you were wondering about her origin since she can't both be half-Eternal or Mar-Vell's daughter because the MCU had changed so much about them, she is a creation of the High Evolutionary. It is possible that he might have uncovered the Celestials' formula for the Eternals or maybe he used Kree as a basis but that is not stated.
Huh.

Spoiler:
I remember the "leaks" earlier that Raccoon dying was a fake-out, that actually Drax would die. Nobody dies? Meh. Does Gamora get her other self's memories, at least?
Old 05-03-2023, 04:58 PM   #15
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Huh.

Spoiler:
I remember the "leaks" earlier that Raccoon dying was a fake-out, that actually Drax would die. Nobody dies? Meh. Does Gamora get her other self's memories, at least?
Spoiler:
No, she does start to kind of get why her alternate counter-part might have gotten along with the others but she does not gain any of those memories.
Hahahaha!
Old 05-05-2023, 01:05 PM   #16
neatoman
Emperor

I guess either nobody really cares enough to talk about this movie or it hasn't been released in enough areas yet, but I might as well post my thoughts on how the MCU tends to handle adaptation or lore and characters, since this movie can be considered a culmination of questionable decisions.
Spoiler:
They made Rocket and Phyla-Vell both creations of the High Evolutionary. I get why in both cases but I'm not sure it had to be that way in either. Like sure, what Rocket is can be considered so similar to the New Men that he might as well be one of them, I just don't know if it was necessary because Half-World might be fine as is, it doesn't actually conflict with anything the High Evolutionary does. As for Phyla-Vell, yes she was going to be something else because her original origin would make no sense in the MCU, but they didn't need to make those previous changes, the Eternals did not have to be robots, Titan did not have to be a dead planet and Mar-Vell did not have to be a woman who dies before really doing anything.

Then there is the High Evolutionary who is made out to be an alien here because... He couldn't get onto a spaceship? The problem by having him be an alien here is that his decision to use human culture and other earth animals as the basis for his experiments seem somewhat random when he's not human himself. I understood why Drax and Mantis were made into aliens, it arguably wasn't that important for them to be human but the High Evolutionary not being human just seems... Off.

And finally, Peter's grandfather is named Jason... Not sure if that's just a reference or if they literally split J'Son into two characters. If it's the latter, are they seriously going to go as far as to say Peter is a Spartaxian after all?
Hahahaha!
Old 05-05-2023, 01:31 PM   #17
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

So it kind of just sounds like more of the same, and the Star Lord-Gamora stuff goes nowhere? Is there at least a good amount of Stallone?
Old 05-05-2023, 02:05 PM   #18
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
So it kind of just sounds like more of the same, and the Star Lord-Gamora stuff goes nowhere? Is there at least a good amount of Stallone?
No, he effectively just briefs them on the mission plan when they are attempting to steal something that might save Rocket. I legitimately can't remember if he does anything after that.
Hahahaha!
Old 05-05-2023, 02:45 PM   #19
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
No, he effectively just briefs them on the mission plan when they are attempting to steal something that might save Rocket. I legitimately can't remember if he does anything after that.
Apparently he goes to "take a $#!(". There was a line where Gunn wanted Stallone to say that in the film, but apparently he refused to do it.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 03:58 PM   #20
CyberCubed
Overlord

I saw the movie, it was a fun, "feel good" movie. Some of the jokes again didn't land (and the camera lingers too long as a character stares blankly like it's some sort of punchline), but the theater was silent.

James Gunn has this problem where he makes characters scream their lines everytime they get angry. Gamora, Drax, Peter, Mantis and Nebula all have lines in the movie screaming back and forth constantly at each other, as well as the main villain, and it got irritating after awhile. After the first few scenes of this I got tired of it but it continued through the whole movie sadly.

Most of the movie is about Rocket's backstory which is fine. Gamora doesn't wind up back with Peter and stays a Ravenger. The group essentially splits up and goes their separate ways at the end besides Rocket and Groot. Also the movie was channeling 60's-70's sci-fi with all the little kids with gray hair in the movie locked up as experiments.

Definitely a better movie than most of the last few Marvel movies.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote